SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   San Antonio MSA to become San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139686)

sirkingwilliam Oct 20, 2007 10:07 PM

San Antonio MSA to become San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA

According to another forum the Census will officially change the name of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area to the San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA starting next year.

verbl Oct 26, 2007 11:27 PM

Seems like this will give our city a little more clout.

Paul in S.A TX Oct 26, 2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbl (Post 3129201)
Seems like this will give our city a little more clout.

Hehe, why is that?

alexjon Oct 26, 2007 11:58 PM

Good for NB!

sirkingwilliam Oct 27, 2007 12:02 AM

I think now is the time for both cities to build a commuter line between each other. A SA-NB line that has a start/end point in downtown SA or maybe even Brooks City-Base to a start/end point in downtown New Braunfels or maybe somewhere near Schlitterbaun.

arbeiter Oct 27, 2007 12:09 AM

How much bigger is New Braunfels than any other city in the area? I mean it makes sense... it lends more prestige or clout as someone said only because it makes the area seem multi-modal or full of suburbs. One of the good things about San Antonio is that while it does sprawl ad infinitum, it's at least contained in corridors and is largely within the city limits. That means that the city will continue to have a good tax base and not be crippled like some of the cities out east.

sirkingwilliam Oct 27, 2007 12:10 AM

New Braunfels is a little over 60,000 in population and the largest suburb in the SA metropolitan region.

arbeiter Oct 27, 2007 12:15 AM

Yes, but how much larger is it than the 3rd largest?
would that be Schertz?

sirkingwilliam Oct 27, 2007 12:18 AM

In 2000 that would have been Seguin with 22,000 or so people but it grows slowly and is only at about 25,000 today. As of 2007 yes, Schertz would be number three with around 35,000 people.

Trae Oct 27, 2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 3117010)
According to another forum the Census will officially change the name of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area to the San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA starting next year.

What forum?

Trae Oct 27, 2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 3129264)
I think now is the time for both cities to build a commuter line between each other. A SA-NB line that has a start/end point in downtown SA or maybe even Brooks City-Base to a start/end point in downtown New Braunfels or maybe somewhere near Schlitterbaun.

Where would you put it? Is there any room along the route you are proposing?

arbeiter Oct 27, 2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 3129310)
Where would you put it? Is there any room along the route you are proposing?

Well, the Austin-SA commuter rail proposal has a stop in New Braunfels anyway, so i think this would largely be solved by that. I think it would just go along the Union Pacific lines that are already there. Hell, if Amtrak had any gusto, they could put a few extra trains through there a day, with nonstops, and have a commuter line in a matter of months!

sirkingwilliam Oct 27, 2007 12:25 AM

I'm not sure. I know there are current heavy rail lines that would be perfect for such a commuter line.

verbl Oct 27, 2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arbeiter (Post 3129279)
How much bigger is New Braunfels than any other city in the area? I mean it makes sense... it lends more prestige or clout as someone said only because it makes the area seem multi-modal or full of suburbs. One of the good things about San Antonio is that while it does sprawl ad infinitum, it's at least contained in corridors and is largely within the city limits. That means that the city will continue to have a good tax base and not be crippled like some of the cities out east.

my thoughts exactly

sirkingwilliam Oct 27, 2007 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arbeiter (Post 3129313)
Well, the Austin-SA commuter rail proposal has a stop in New Braunfels anyway, so i think this would largely be solved by that. I think it would just go along the Union Pacific lines that are already there. Hell, if Amtrak had any gusto, they could put a few extra trains through there a day, with nonstops, and have a commuter line in a matter of months!

Yeah, well I think a SA-NB line is more realistic at the moment and would get built a lot sooner.

Trae Oct 27, 2007 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arbeiter (Post 3129313)

How would it get to Schlitterbahn?

verbl Oct 27, 2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 3129337)

Put it on the master blaster

arbeiter Oct 27, 2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 3129337)

Well, that's a fleeting fancy that kingwilliam would like, not me. There's nobody in heck who would finance a spur to Schlitterbahn... that weird trolley thing that is meant to look like a train but is actually a tractor will do ;0

sirkingwilliam Oct 27, 2007 12:57 AM

I said near Schillterbaun because it's also near downtown New Braunfels.

ydoc14 Oct 27, 2007 1:23 AM

Good news. Now it's on par with "Austin-Round Rock." :tup: