SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

Leo the Dog Jul 10, 2014 3:23 PM

I find it troubling that Californians just brush off the news that business is leaving for other states (not just Texas). In the LA forum, when news broke that Toyota was leaving along with its 4000 jobs in Torrance for Dallas, the response was, who cares, we don't need them, they were low wage workers....

That's ridiculous!

Now it's the argument, we have the 8th largest economy in the world, or we will always have Hollywood, or Silicon Valley etc etc etc...therefore it's ok if we lose precious jobs?!

The truth is, our competition is out competing us. They are luring business away, which will create a better economic situation for them in their future. San Diego should not be losing any jobs or business and that's what the story should be. Hell, even NY has offered 10 year tax free zones for business that relocate to the state.

SSP is strangely quiet about NY "stealing" business from other states.

eburress Jul 10, 2014 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6648305)
Wow, you really are playing the kettle to my pot aren't you?

"...I can't imagine how people are going to be able to keep buying these ridiculously expensive homes, how they're going to keep this bubble from popping, when there isn't anywhere to work.

I mean... ?

Anyways, San Diego has some serious housing issues, but if you look at some of the most successful cities around the world, there are a hell of a lot more expensive and unaffordable places out there than this little hamlet. Hong Kong. New York. San Francisco. You really think San Diego is going to lose population, jobs, and have a lower quality of life when compared to cities like those, our housing market is a steal? Haha, okay!

But that's when Texas is supposed to come in and ruin us, right? As far as I can tell they may have taken the US headquarters of Toyota, but they don't have Apple, Google, Qualcomm, or are remotely close to replicating Silicon Valley, SD's biotech cluster, the institutions of higher learning and research, or the desirable cities and lifestyles to attract, build and keep the workforce needed to create a 21st century economy.

Why do you think these states are so desperate to take what we have? Because they can't build it on their own. They wouldn't pay for the education, the programs, the policies - so they go in and beg for others to set up shop by bribing them with millions of taxpayer dollars (paaaaraaaadooox).

So crunch the numbers, please. Pull out the crystal ball and let me know when I can expect California to become the badlands it's destined to be. As far as I'm concerned it all seems a little... dramatic.

:cheers:

For sure, it's expensive to live in NYC, San Francisco, London, Auckland, etc too, but one must wonder whether San Diego's economy is such that it can support those prices.

How about for now, we just agree to disagree? I think it would be a fantastic exercise to look into the numbers and do the necessary research to inform one's opinion either way, but I frankly have to work and don't have time. I think CA in general and San Diego specifically has problems they need to address, and these companies leaving is a symptom of those problems. You are less concerned and that's fine.

spoonman Jul 10, 2014 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6648985)
I find it troubling that Californians just brush off the news that business is leaving for other states (not just Texas). In the LA forum, when news broke that Toyota was leaving along with its 4000 jobs in Torrance for Dallas, the response was, who cares, we don't need them, they were low wage workers....

That's ridiculous!

Now it's the argument, we have the 8th largest economy in the world, or we will always have Hollywood, or Silicon Valley etc etc etc...therefore it's ok if we lose precious jobs?!

The truth is, our competition is out competing us. They are luring business away, which will create a better economic situation for them in their future. San Diego should not be losing any jobs or business and that's what the story should be. Hell, even NY has offered 10 year tax free zones for business that relocate to the state.

SSP is strangely quiet about NY "stealing" business from other states.

I agree. I hear some valid points that the sky is not falling, but at the same time I also sense that there is a lot of denial about what is going on. Hopefully we can move to anger and acceptance before too much damage is done.

There was an article in the UT (there have been several really) about leveraging the SD/TJ relationship for device medical device manufacturing. Great cities develop because they have some strategic value. Our geographic positioning could be a positive for once instead of a negative. We need to capitalize on this as a city/region.

SDCAL Jul 10, 2014 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6648565)
Jonathan Segal is starting a new project in Hillcrest! http://www.sandiegostreets.com/2014/...w-development/

Can't wait to see what they come up for the design on this one - if they will keep with the Egyptian revival theme.

I hope they keep that small Egyptian-style courtyard complex (I think it is next to the eyesore former auto body shop) that's really a historical gem and a surviving example of SD's original Egyptian revival architecture.

Park Blvd in Hillcrest really has a ton of potential in my opinion.

It would be so awesome to one day have the IDEA district in EV, and a trolley line linking it with balboa park and the University/Park area in Hillcrest/N Park.

SDCAL Jul 10, 2014 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6648985)
I find it troubling that Californians just brush off the news that business is leaving for other states (not just Texas). In the LA forum, when news broke that Toyota was leaving along with its 4000 jobs in Torrance for Dallas, the response was, who cares, we don't need them, they were low wage workers....

That's ridiculous!

Now it's the argument, we have the 8th largest economy in the world, or we will always have Hollywood, or Silicon Valley etc etc etc...therefore it's ok if we lose precious jobs?!

The truth is, our competition is out competing us. They are luring business away, which will create a better economic situation for them in their future. San Diego should not be losing any jobs or business and that's what the story should be. Hell, even NY has offered 10 year tax free zones for business that relocate to the state.

SSP is strangely quiet about NY "stealing" business from other states.

The point about the 8th largest economy in world was not that we are there, it's that we are growing and just surpassed Italy and Russia.

In other words, despite some companies leaving, our economy as a whole is growing.

I don't think people should "brush off" any companies leaving - it should always be evaluated to see the root causes. But, on the flip-side, I see a lot of people and media outlets over-reacting to companies that decide to leave and using those stories to play politics - mainly politics trying to lower taxes and erode environmental and other regulations - which I am NOT in favor of.

I am in favor of not just private development, but also public development - spending on civic and infrastructure needs.

A lot of the same people who complain about these companies leaving are the same NIMBYs that are complaining about HSR and who think CA should kill it because it's too large of a tax burden.

SDCAL Jul 10, 2014 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6649255)
I agree. I hear some valid points that the sky is not falling, but at the same time I also sense that there is a lot of denial about what is going on. Hopefully we can move to anger and acceptance before too much damage is done.

There was an article in the UT (there have been several really) about leveraging the SD/TJ relationship for device medical device manufacturing. Great cities develop because they have some strategic value. Our geographic positioning could be a positive for once instead of a negative. We need to capitalize on this as a city/region.

Your last statement - is soooo true. We extremely under-utilize out unique geographic location.

tyleraf Jul 10, 2014 8:39 PM

I know it is so unfortunate to see such bad marketing of a great region. We have 6.5 million people in our international metropolitan area. We need to take better advantage of our amazing location.

mello Jul 10, 2014 9:14 PM

Excited to see what Segal comes up with and that empty lot across from DMV on Normal street looks like it is primed for infill to go in there. Still waiting on the lot on Park Blvd one block South of Sprouts that has a fence around it again, when will that finally get rolling???

I noticed some nice newish and small infill going on in North West Hillcrest/Mission Hills while driving the side streets off of Washington St (North Side) they are 4 floors and prob 10 to 12 units each with sleek architecture. We need tons more of those :cheers:

Spoonman: Could you provide links to those UT San Diego articles you mentioned. Thanks

SDfan Jul 11, 2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6648565)
Jonathan Segal is starting a new project in Hillcrest! http://www.sandiegostreets.com/2014/...w-development/

I hope his project is bigger than the one on Upas. I mean, his North Park project is great, I just wish it was a bit more dense.

But I guess at this point, I'll take anything infill-wise. haha.

Crackertastik Jul 11, 2014 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6649255)
I agree. I hear some valid points that the sky is not falling, but at the same time I also sense that there is a lot of denial about what is going on. Hopefully we can move to anger and acceptance before too much damage is done.

There was an article in the UT (there have been several really) about leveraging the SD/TJ relationship for device medical device manufacturing. Great cities develop because they have some strategic value. Our geographic positioning could be a positive for once instead of a negative. We need to capitalize on this as a city/region.

To add, more and more research suggests the company poaching done with tax incentives may do more harm than good. The worry about California may be temporary.

http://www.planetizen.com/node/70213

spoonman Jul 11, 2014 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6649708)
Excited to see what Segal comes up with and that empty lot across from DMV on Normal street looks like it is primed for infill to go in there. Still waiting on the lot on Park Blvd one block South of Sprouts that has a fence around it again, when will that finally get rolling???

I noticed some nice newish and small infill going on in North West Hillcrest/Mission Hills while driving the side streets off of Washington St (North Side) they are 4 floors and prob 10 to 12 units each with sleek architecture. We need tons more of those :cheers:

Spoonman: Could you provide links to those UT San Diego articles you mentioned. Thanks

Here's the article, Mello...

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...?#article-copy

EastVillageSD Jul 11, 2014 7:48 AM

Texas to SD
 
Looks like we are getting a few Texas-based companies in San Diego soon... So there is that?

http://sandiego.eater.com/archives/2...r-one-roof.php

spoonman Jul 11, 2014 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastVillageSD (Post 6650250)
Looks like we are getting a few Texas-based companies in San Diego soon... So there is that?

http://sandiego.eater.com/archives/2...r-one-roof.php

Thanks, EastVillageSD. Looks like this will be at the base of the 14/15th & Island tower project which includes a park. Sounds as though the eateries along with the park will be very popular with locals in the area.

Here is a rendering of the area when complete...

http://www.ibigroup.com/wp-content/u...and-ca-011.jpg

http://www.ibigroup.com/wp-content/u...and-ca-021.jpg

eburress Jul 11, 2014 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastVillageSD (Post 6650250)
Looks like we are getting a few Texas-based companies in San Diego soon... So there is that?

http://sandiego.eater.com/archives/2...r-one-roof.php

Almost as good as a corporate headquarters relocation and 4000 new jobs! haha

Prahaboheme Jul 11, 2014 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6649887)
I hope his project is bigger than the one on Upas. I mean, his North Park project is great, I just wish it was a bit more dense.

But I guess at this point, I'll take anything infill-wise. haha.

Don't expect anything super dense out of a Siegel project. His developments intentionally avoid layers of city and civic review because they come in below density standards. This is also why they are so well executed -- the NIMBYs cannot get their hands / voice on the design and cheapen it.

Double edged sword perhaps but I'll take it because what he is doing is REAL city building.

S.DviaPhilly Jul 11, 2014 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6650468)
Thanks, EastVillageSD. Looks like this will be at the base of the 14/15th & Island tower project which includes a park. Sounds as though the eateries along with the park will be very popular with locals in the area.

Here is a rendering of the area when complete...

http://www.ibigroup.com/wp-content/u...and-ca-011.jpg

http://www.ibigroup.com/wp-content/u...and-ca-021.jpg

This eatery/bar/lounge is going into an already existing one story structure on the northwest corner of that block that has been empty for as long as I can remember (I know shocking.) You can see it in your second pic in the shadows of the red ketchup building. It is very exciting what is going on in that part of East Village food-wise!

nezbn22 Jul 11, 2014 11:53 PM

Another update, another delay:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...al-commission/

tyleraf Jul 12, 2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6651369)
Another update, another delay

Typical!
Also, I'm glad to hear about the 15th and Island restaurant. I had walked by a couple weeks ago and seen stuff for the restaurant inside but I couldn't make out much.

Leo the Dog Jul 12, 2014 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6651369)

I've always thought that Harbor Island, being such awesome real estate, should have super dense development. C Level has a huge parking lot, overlooking downtown. I would love to see it develop soon.

mello Jul 12, 2014 10:08 PM

When are coastal mayors going to band together to seriously try to do something about the Coastal commission? How many tens of thousands of jobs have been lost and economic impact gone by the way side because of them? I mean hotels on Harbor Island are a no brainer I read the article and it sounded like the reason for the delay is because their aren't enough "lower priced hotel rooms"....

Maybe I missed something but come on. Do people not go to Florida because their beaches are walled off by highrises and that there are tall structures everywhere... No they continue to flock to Florida. How many jobs are created by all that construction in Miami, Sunny Isles, Fort Lauderdale.... I mean elevator maintenance and installation guys make big bucks.

Oh and when are the hotels across from Liberty Station going to start construction.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.