SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

SDfan Dec 3, 2016 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyv (Post 7640269)
IMO this is unfortunate news for both cities:
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/01/san...elocation-2017

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Chargers.

bobbyv Dec 3, 2016 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7640709)
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Chargers.

The Raiders made so much more sense, this was a stupid greedy decision by the Spanos and the NFL.

HurricaneHugo Dec 3, 2016 8:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7640373)
I'm staying positive. I think it will help tourism. SD will have less of a major city appeal and more small town vibe when people out of state think of visiting. And isn't that what people look for when they're trying to get away and relax on vacation?

Also we can now focus on a real convention center expansion

lol small town vibe

8th largest city in America and in a region of 3 million

This small town mentality is holding the city back

SDCAL Dec 4, 2016 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7640373)
I'm staying positive. I think it will help tourism. SD will have less of a major city appeal and more small town vibe when people out of state think of visiting. And isn't that what people look for when they're trying to get away and relax on vacation?

Also we can now focus on a real convention center expansion

I don't think whether or not a city has an NFL team determines its overall vibe for anyone other than a small subset of hardcore NFL fans. Most people consider many other things before determining the 'vibe' of a city. LA has been without major league football for decades, has LA had a small town vibe this whole time?

SDCAL Dec 4, 2016 4:13 PM

The Chargers have nobody to blame but themselves for leaving. They could have done a deal with the city in Mission Valley but they blew it. Tax payers might have had more incentive to give them public money if they were actually a good team with a better record of winning. Instead, they wanted to be mediocre AND have people worship them and vote to build them a palace downtown. It doesn't work that way. Good riddance, parasites

joemamma Dec 5, 2016 5:13 PM

Pardon my ignorance, how do you guys post photos here? I go downtown a lot and have some great East Village development pics I'd like to share.

ty,

Joe

JerellO Dec 5, 2016 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7641389)
I don't think whether or not a city has an NFL team determines its overall vibe for anyone other than a small subset of hardcore NFL fans. Most people consider many other things before determining the 'vibe' of a city. LA has been without major league football for decades, has LA had a small town vibe this whole time?

It really is only for people who watch football... I can care less about the sport and the NFL... when I think of a city I dont think of football. I think of street interaction, retail, restaurants and bars, the transit, the arts and architecural grandeur.

Leo the Dog Dec 5, 2016 11:19 PM

Since the creation of rideshare tech - Uber/Lyft, rarely do I find myself taking the trolley anywhere. With that said I decided to jump on the trolley from the Gaslamp to Mission Valley. A thought of mine was why don't we eliminate useless stops such as Middletown and Washington Street (and many others), speed up the commute and make the trolley more of an express commuter rail style transit system?

The remaining transit stops could become more dense residential urban nodes compared to what exists today.

Also, I was listening to AM 600 KOGO yesterday and they were talking about how SD is the worst city in CA to create TOD along our existing transit system. Why is this? It seems like SD is really dropping the ball on potential developments.

HurricaneHugo Dec 5, 2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemamma (Post 7642214)
Pardon my ignorance, how do you guys post photos here? I go downtown a lot and have some great East Village development pics I'd like to share.

ty,

Joe

Upload the photos to Flickr or another photo site

if you have android you can use google photos which automatically backs up your photos on your phone on the cloud, you can then see your photos online without uploading them

Then grab the URL of the pic and click on the insert image button (one with the mountains) when you post. Paste the URL in the box and voila!

HurricaneHugo Dec 5, 2016 11:37 PM

Ballpark Village starting to rise

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p0...g=w607-h809-no

Not sure what this tower is but it's rising too:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M9...Q=w607-h809-no

The Flying Dutchman Dec 6, 2016 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 7642698)
Also, I was listening to AM 600 KOGO yesterday and they were talking about how SD is the worst city in CA to create TOD along our existing transit system. Why is this? It seems like SD is really dropping the ball on potential developments.

Go to any public planning meeting and you'll see. It's virtually impossible to get anything done that makes everyone happy, so usually one side (the city, developers, or property owners) holds up the process until they get what they want or come hell in a handbasket.

It's a very complex problem but at the end of the day it's all politics.

Boatguy619 Dec 6, 2016 5:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7641389)
I don't think whether or not a city has an NFL team determines its overall vibe for anyone other than a small subset of hardcore NFL fans. Most people consider many other things before determining the 'vibe' of a city. LA has been without major league football for decades, has LA had a small town vibe this whole time?

Well clearly someone hasn't watched "Straight outta LA" :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y0FOrXR5d4

I'm talking about from an outside sports fans perspective. Obviously the vibe won't change here but to sports fans in NY, Boston, or Chicago who have never been here, SD will seem like just another small town and not a large city, but I kinda like that vibe. #stayclassysd :cool:

SDfan Dec 6, 2016 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7643029)
Well clearly someone hasn't watched "Straight outta LA" :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y0FOrXR5d4

I'm talking about from an outside sports fans perspective. Obviously the vibe won't change here but to sports fans in NY, Boston, or Chicago who have never been here, SD will seem like just another small town and not a large city, but I kinda like that vibe. #stayclassysd :cool:

The idea that the city would be automatically perceived to be second tier if we lose the Chargers is hilarious.

San Diego already has that problem. :D

eburress Dec 6, 2016 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7643148)
The idea that the city would be automatically perceived to be second tier if we lose the Chargers is hilarious.

San Diego already has that problem. :D

It does, and the Chargers' departure only furthers and/or cements the notion. SD loses even more relevance. Unless you're in biotech, I guess, SD is just a place you take inexpensive family vacations or attend the occasional convention.

JerellO Dec 7, 2016 9:51 PM

You people don't realize how relevant San Diego is to the country... we have the largest naval fleet in the west coast... it's the navy's main base for the entire pacific region... critical to our national defense... it's. It just about sports, -!; biotech... it's our military, which brings people from all over the country. I have a lot of military friends from Colorado, New York, Texas, Washington and Florida who have either gotten out and stayed here because they love San Diego or are currently just stationed here, but get to experience what San Diego is like. I think that's more important than football... something that we have that SF and LA doesn't have

Derek Dec 7, 2016 10:12 PM

You guys realize that the team hasn't actually came out and said they were leaving, right? That entire article is based on "sources". For all we know, the Spanish family is just trying to strong arm the city/the league for more money.

eburress Dec 8, 2016 1:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 7644897)
You people don't realize how relevant San Diego is to the country... we have the largest naval fleet in the west coast... it's the navy's main base for the entire pacific region... critical to our national defense... it's. It just about sports, -!; biotech... it's our military, which brings people from all over the country. I have a lot of military friends from Colorado, New York, Texas, Washington and Florida who have either gotten out and stayed here because they love San Diego or are currently just stationed here, but get to experience what San Diego is like. I think that's more important than football... something that we have that SF and LA doesn't have

So essentially, San Diego's becoming about as relevant to the average American as Norfolk?

vidgms Dec 8, 2016 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7645067)
So essentially, San Diego's becoming about as relevant to the average American as Norfolk?

Norfolk will always be more relevant than San Diego because of the DX invasion of WCW. Don't get me wrong, SD is an amazing city, but lower on the totem pole like NYC, Chicago, and Philadelphia...or any other city with the DX invasion did not take place.

ozone Dec 8, 2016 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7641389)
I don't think whether or not a city has an NFL team determines its overall vibe for anyone other than a small subset of hardcore NFL fans. Most people consider many other things before determining the 'vibe' of a city. LA has been without major league football for decades, has LA had a small town vibe this whole time?

Exactly! In the grand scheme of things it doesnt really matter if San Diego has a NFL team since I don't think having the Chargers made any difference on how people perceived the city. Also I think the proposed downtown stadium was deeply flawed on many levels and SD voters made the right choice. Moving the airport would have far greater (positive) impact on the city. Too bad the hotel industry in San Diego can't see past the end of their collective noses.

JerellO Dec 8, 2016 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7645067)
So essentially, San Diego's becoming about as relevant to the average American as Norfolk?

Except Norfolk doesn't really have anything else going for it. And nobody likes Norfolk lol But yea those two cities are important to our national defense.. talk all the shit you want... if San Diego/Camp Pendleton goes down.. the west coast is somewhat in trouble, we'd still have Washington and Hawaii. Just because it doesn't have the hype and popularity like NYC, LA or MIAMI doesn't mean that it isnt important.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.