SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Saskatoon Civic Election, 2016 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222904)

Echoes May 13, 2016 3:06 PM

Saskatoon Civic Election, 2016

A thread for all things related to the upcoming Civic Election in October.

Things are about to heat up with Coun. Charlie Clark formally announcing his mayoral candidacy next week. Can he unseat Atch? Is he the young, progressive, urban candidate many of us have been wishing for? Our Nenshi or Iveson, if you will. Can he bridge the political spectrum?

Who else might step forward?

Echoes May 13, 2016 3:07 PM

City councillor Charlie Clark to announce mayoral bid next week

Andrea Hill, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: May 13, 2016 | Last Updated: May 13, 2016 7:57 AM CST

http://wpmedia.thestarphoenix.com/20...0&h=630&crop=1

Quote:

Three-term city councillor Charlie Clark is expected to announce his mayoral bid next week.

Clark, who was widely expected to run, will take on the sitting mayor, Don Atchison, who became Saskatoon’s longest-serving leader last year. No one else has yet announced they will run for the city’s top job in October’s municipal election.

“I’m not surprised Charlie says he’s running,” Atchison said in an interview Thursday.

In a note obtained by the Saskatoon StarPhoenix, Shift Development owner Curtis Olson invites those with whom he’s discussed the future of Saskatoon to contribute to Clark’s campaign and attend Clark’s formal announcement of his bid for mayor on May 18.

Olson writes Saskatoon needs a leader “who can open the door to citizen engagement, new ideas and evolving policies to make our city an amazing and wonderful place” and that he is “taking a very public position” in supporting Clark’s mayoral bid.

Olson and Clark’s campaign team declined to comment in advance of Clark’s formal announcement. Clark did not respond to a request for comment.

First elected to council in 2006, Clark represents Ward 6, which includes the downtown, Nutana, Buena Vista, Varsity View, Grosvenor Park, Haultain and Holliston.

Clark, who has degrees in conflict resolution, education and environmental studies, has pushed for more balanced development in the city instead of almost all growth taking place in the suburbs.

He’s been a vocal advocate for embracing Saskatoon as a winter city, exploring new, more cost-effective ways of policing and investing in active transportation, public art and solar energy.

With Clark and Atchison both appearing on the mayoral ballot, it would be “very surprising” for any other candidate to win, said Joe Garcea, a political studies professor at the University of Saskatchewan’s St. Thomas More College.

“They will both have a very strong organizational base, a strong and loyal base of support and it would be quite difficult for somebody else to run,” he said.

Atchison, who enjoyed comfortable victories in his first two re-election bids, took 52 per cent of the vote in 2012, while agricultural researcher and political newcomer Tom Wolf nabbed 47 per cent.

The race between Atchison and Wolf was largely viewed as one between right and left: Atchison promoted a pro-development platform while Wolf wanted more money diverted to quality-of-life issues.

A race between Atchison and Clark could take on a similar dynamic, Garcea said.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-bid-next-week

jigglysquishy May 13, 2016 3:29 PM

Clark is 100% the right choice for an urban Saskatoon I suspect he'll easily win the city inside Circle Drive. Outside, that's another story.

This will be the most important election in decades for Saskatoon.

Echoes May 13, 2016 4:17 PM

Yes. Atch has consistently won outside Circle Drive, while his main opponent has won inside. I think Tom Wolf came so close to catching Atch, in part, because he was able to position himself quite centrally. People were pissed off about the roads last election too, so there was that.

Are people across the spectrum fatigued with Atch? Is it palpable in the city? In my circles it is, but I hang with a certain crowd. Charlie is going to get painted as a leftie - can he position himself as a moderate?

Another thing, if he can lock up inside Circle Drive, and motivate and get people excited to vote that might not have - he can win on GOTV. Inner city wards have embarrassingly low voter turnouts (as does the city as a whole). He has to mobilize his base! And stoke the Anyone But Atch fire.

hunter12 May 14, 2016 1:31 AM

race for mayor

The biggest thing I give Atch credit for is that he has made decisions and got things done unlike previous administrations. Whether you agree with the things he has done or not (and I don't always agree) he made a decision. Such as Gathercole building, south bridge etc.

I wouldn't mind a new mayor but not Charlie Clark. So if it is a choice between the two I for one will vote for Atch.

SkydivePilot May 15, 2016 11:47 PM

I hope that the folks of Saskatoon don't have to put up with, yet, ANOTHER term of Atch.

Crisis May 16, 2016 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter12 (Post 7441286)
The biggest thing I give Atch credit for is that he has made decisions and got things done unlike previous administrations. Whether you agree with the things he has done or not (and I don't always agree) he made a decision. Such as Gathercole building, south bridge etc.

I would very much agree with the statement above.

I was at the council meeting where the fate of the Gathercole Centre was decided. After a couple hours of presentations of potential adaptive re-uses of the facility and much discussion & debate, it appeared that council was split. My impression was that slightly more councilors were in favour of saving the old building. Council then took an in camera break. Upon their return to chambers, council voted (nearly unanimously, as I recall) to demolish the Gathercole building. It seemed clear that Atch had basically told them all that he wanted that building torn down and that was what was going to happen.

So while you can argue about the wisdom of that and many other decisions made during Atch's time as mayor, there is no denying that he makes decisions and gets things done. That being said, I think that people have grown tired of him and that Clark will be our next mayor.

The development of River Landing Village (Parcel Y) has taken too long for Atch to see that become his legacy project. He'll have to settle for South Circle Drive Bridge being named after him.

Echoes May 18, 2016 7:30 PM

In room full of supporters, city councillor Charlie Clark confirms mayoral bid

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: May 18, 2016 | Last Updated: May 18, 2016 12:50 PM CST

Quote:

Saying “we have to get the basics right,” three-term city councillor Charlie Clark is entering the race for mayor in Saskatoon.

Clark, 42, confirmed Wednesday that he will take on sitting mayor Don Atchison, who last year became Saskatoon’s longest-serving leader. Voters head to the polls Oct. 24.

With hundreds of enthusiastic supporters — including his mother, who flew in from Kelowna for the announcement — cheering his every word, Clark said all the elements are in place for Saskatoon to become a “model prairie city for the 21st century” but that it won’t happen “without progressive leadership in the mayor’s chair.”

He listed four foundations of his campaign: efficient services that deliver value for tax dollars; growth that pays for itself and improves transportation choices; attracting investment, innovation and good jobs; and safe and connected neighbourhoods.

“Saskatoon has a choice. Do we want smarter growth, a thriving core, and better services? Or do we continue down our current path and make the mistakes of other sprawling Prairie cities: citizens sit in traffic, infrastructure becomes unmanageable and costs escalate?” he said in a prepared statement.

“I believe we can be a model city for tomorrow that will enhance our quality of life and bring people together.”

In a note obtained last week by The Saskatoon StarPhoenix, Shift Development owner Curtis Olson invited people to contribute to Clark’s campaign, saying Saskatoon needs a leader “who can open the door to citizen engagement, new ideas and evolving policies to make our city an amazing and wonderful place.”

Clark, who was first elected to council 10 years ago, represents Ward 6, which covers Buena Vista, Grosvenor Park, Haultain, Holliston, Nutana, Varsity View and the downtown. If he were to be elected mayor, Clark would become the youngest to hold the position since Sid Buckwold was elected in 1958 at the age of 41.

Clark will go head-to-head with Atchison, who last fall, on his 4,384th day on the job, became the longest-serving mayor in the city’s history. After a highly-contested 2003 election, Atchison was easily voted back into office his next two campaigns. In 2012, he received 52 per cent of the vote, while relatively-unknown agricultural researcher and political newcomer Tom Wolf received 47 per cent.

“I’m not surprised Charlie says he’s running,” Atchison said in an interview last week. “He expresses his point of view, I express mine and that’s it.”

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ms-mayoral-bid

SaskScraper May 18, 2016 11:21 PM

Saskatoon probably needs to clean house of its current council members, they have stalled far too many projects.. Atchison on the other hand has done more to spur growth and fiscal responsibility than probably all the other mayors prior in the last few decades when infrastructure was falling apart and needing to be torn down..

The Bess May 19, 2016 9:51 PM

after hearing what clark is running on and now Dayday thinking of running again looks like I am forced to vote for Atch :(

Echoes May 25, 2016 2:36 PM

So far there are 3 open ward races:

Ward 6 - Clark (running for Mayor)
Ward 8 - Olauson (elected as MLA)
Ward 9 - Paulsen (retiring)

Echoes May 25, 2016 4:18 PM

Mayor confirms he will not be attending 2016 Pride Parade

By Carly Robinson
Associate Producer Global News

Quote:

The Saskatoon Pride Festival is just weeks away, and in the past Saskatoon Mayor Don Atchison’s absence from the Pride parade had people talking. Once again, scheduling will keep the mayor from attending the event.

Mayor Atchison tells Global News that though he will be unable to attend the 2016 Pride Parade, he will be present at other festival events such as the Gaybourhood family barbecue. “We attend some of their events,” says Mayor Don Atchison, adding “we can’t make it to everything.”

This year Saskatoon’s Pride Parade falls on Saturday June 11, a day Atchison says he will be celebrating his father’s 90th birthday.

“I think there are a lot of priorities in life,” says Atchison, “and as a matter of fact I can tell you right now my father is celebrating his 90th birthday, and I think my dad’s 90th birthday takes priority over everything.”

“And if people have a problem with me celebrating my dad’s 90th birthday, too bad for them. Because my dad’s a special guy, he’s 90 years old and I don’t know how much longer he’ll be with us. He’s a great man and he deserves to have that day too.”

Atchison says there are priorities throughout the city of Saskatoon. “I find it interesting, people who don’t show up to the Friendship Inn Christmas lunch, they don’t serve there so does that mean they don’t like people who can’t get Christmas dinner at home?”

[....]
http://globalnews.ca/news/2721163/ma...medium=twitter

^ The crap that spews from this guy's mouth. It's embarrassing.

The Mayor will attend the Pride BBQ so that he can grab a burger and go before "they" get too close.

hunter12 Jun 10, 2016 7:38 PM

Dayday runs for mayor

I guess Henry has forgotten that we were so fed up with his administration that he finished 3rd when we booted him out.

His administration was famous for sitting on the fence and trying to please everyone. In the end little got done.

A lot of our infrastructure deficit is a result of his administration not wanting to spend 2 cents. We could (and should) have built the south bridge when Henry was mayor. Considering where construction costs have gone (tripled or more) we could have built that project for half to a third the cost. Projects that are been planned right now would have been completed years ago at a fraction of the cost had it not been for the delays in Henry's administration.

Well Henry, you complain about the cost of the art gallery but the money we could have saved on the south bridge would build the entire gallery.

I was so glad to see you go in 2000 and wish the same fate for you in 2016.

Crisis Jun 11, 2016 12:03 AM

So, who is Dayday going to be stealing votes from. He's considered old establishment, so could take votes from Atch. But he's also more left-leaning, so could take votes from Clark. Curious to see if he has any impact at all.

jigglysquishy Jun 11, 2016 2:10 AM

Dayday is one of the most right wing mayors we've ever had.

He essentially destroyed infrastructure in his tenure by aggressively cutting spending. The City still hasn't recovered fully.

hunter12 Jun 11, 2016 2:34 PM

Dayday and infastructure

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7470905)
Dayday is one of the most right wing mayors we've ever had.

He essentially destroyed infrastructure in his tenure by aggressively cutting spending. The City still hasn't recovered fully.

You nailed it jigglysquishy. With the cheap cost of building infrastructure back then compared to today we could, and would, have had far better roads. We have been trying to catch up ever since and are paying a huge cost for his mismanagement and lack of foresight.

Echoes Aug 3, 2016 3:10 PM

Atchison, Clark in dead heat in Saskatoon mayoral race: poll

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: August 3, 2016 | Last Updated: August 3, 2016 8:23 AM CST

http://wpmedia.thestarphoenix.com/20...0&h=630&crop=1

Quote:

Mayor Don Atchison and Coun. Charlie Clark are virtually tied in support among Saskatoon voters, with former mayor Henry Dayday close behind, according to a poll commissioned by The StarPhoenix.

The Mainstreet Research/Postmedia Network Inc. telephone poll showed respondents favoured Atchison over Clark 29 per cent to 26 per cent, although the difference is within the poll’s margin of error.

Dayday, who has sharply criticized the current council in his campaign, attracted the support of 15 per cent as their first choice. Only four per cent said they want to vote for someone other than the three candidates, but more than a quarter said they were undecided.

The poll of 803 residents, conducted July 27 and 28, is considered accurate within 3.46 per cent, 19 times out of 20. Voters were asked who they would support if the Oct. 26 election was held today.

David Valentin, executive vice-president of Mainstreet, said the poll can be seen as good news for Clark.

“Right now, name recognition is playing a larger role than it might as the election gets closer,” Valentin said in an interview. “The fact that (Clark is) getting so much (support) right now suggests there’s potential for an upset.”

Atchison has been mayor for 13 years, the longest tenure in the city’s history, while Clark has been councillor for Ward 6 for 10 years. Dayday was mayor for 12 years, from 1988 to 2000.

When asked about their second choice for mayor, 47 per cent of respondents with a first choice said they were undecided. Dayday led the declared candidates as second choice with 17 per cent, followed by Atchison (14 per cent) and Clark (12 per cent).

“It doesn’t seem there’s a lot of appetite for another candidate,” Valentin said. “Right now, it’s more of a two-way race than a three-way race.”

There’s little difference in support for the candidates based on voters’ gender, according to the poll.

Perhaps surprisingly, Atchison, 63, leads Clark, 42, among respondents aged 18 to 34 (39 per cent to 30 per cent), while Clark maintains a slight lead among people over 65.

Clark and Atchison are tied for support at 28 per cent among people aged 35 to 49, the same demographic where Dayday, 76, receives his largest support at 20 per cent.

Valentin warned that counting on the support of younger voters could be dangerous.

“These are the people who are least likely to vote,” he said. “We’ve seen in many elections, the youth vote doesn’t actually show up.”

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...yors-race-poll

W.W. La Chance Aug 3, 2016 8:10 PM

2 comments.

1. There's still time for others to enter the race.

Quote:

Valentin warned that counting on the support of younger voters could be dangerous.

“These are the people who are least likely to vote,” he said. “We’ve seen in many elections, the youth vote doesn’t actually show up.”
I think there needs to be a mobilization of all voters, not just youth. For how many complainers there appear to be out there, voter turnout certainly doesn't reflect it.

Voter Turnout

2012 - 36.86%

2009 - 27.32%

2006 - 37.1 %

W.W. La Chance Aug 15, 2016 8:22 PM

As I expected, we have another candidate running for mayor with some very impressive credentials:

Kelley Moore

http://moore4mayor.ca/

CDBAG Aug 16, 2016 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.W. La Chance (Post 7531561)
As I expected, we have another candidate running for mayor with some very impressive credentials:

Kelley Moore

http://moore4mayor.ca/

this is shaping up to be an interesting election:

You have Atchison, whom everyone knows and either dislikes or dislikes him more.

Clark who is against the way the city has been growing despite being on council the last 2 terms, and partially responsible for it, I'm interested to learn what his actual platform is, haven't really heard anything except that he's an alternative to Atchison.

Dayday, same as Atchison.

Moore, who seems to be in the anti-development camp, reading her interview in the neighbourhood express, is opposed to the south downtown...still, even though the ship has sailed. Just an aside, her partner in business and life is Lenore Sywstun.
Do you think it is coincidence that on the same day as her announcement the heritage society tries to stake claim to the 3rd Ave united church?

The Bess Aug 16, 2016 6:33 PM

Here is what I think

The chances of new towers going up

Atchison - probably

Clark - after hearing what the over 65 club likes for market mall - not good chances

Dayday - yes but north of industrial by arena

Moore - yes as long as they are not higher than 3 stories and are made of brick

lol just a funny thought

W.W. La Chance Aug 16, 2016 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBAG (Post 7532653)
this is shaping up to be an interesting election:

You have Atchison, whom everyone knows and either dislikes or dislikes him more.

Clark who is against the way the city has been growing despite being on council the last 2 terms, and partially responsible for it, I'm interested to learn what his actual platform is, haven't really heard anything except that he's an alternative to Atchison.

Dayday, same as Atchison.

Moore, who seems to be in the anti-development camp, reading her interview in the neighbourhood express, is opposed to the south downtown...still, even though the ship has sailed. Just an aside, her partner in business and life is Lenore Sywstun.
Do you think it is coincidence that on the same day as her announcement the heritage society tries to stake claim to the 3rd Ave united church?

To be fair, she isn't opposed to it. She is opposed to how it's been dealt with, as I would assume much of the city's population is.

"One of the major issues she sees coming up in the campaign is the south downtown, and whether too much time and money has gone into its development, along with tax abatements for the upcoming hotel and condo development.
People are frustrated about how long it’s taken to get shovels in the ground — and they’re not in yet, she noted."

CDBAG Aug 17, 2016 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bess (Post 7532667)
Here is what I think

The chances of new towers going up

Atchison - probably

Clark - after hearing what the over 65 club likes for market mall - not good chances

Dayday - yes but north of industrial by arena

Moore - yes as long as they are not higher than 3 stories and are made of brick

lol just a funny thought

Yes, couldnt have said it better

W.W. La Chance Aug 21, 2016 8:17 AM

I'm curious, what are people's thoughts on the election? We should all be engaged, especially being on this forum, so I find it interesting this thread isn't more active.

Do you feel Atch will continue on? Do you feel the "progressive" side is split? Do you have any intuitions of any other non-incumbent other newcomers joining? I would love to hear any and all perspectives and have a respectful and forward conversation.

Crisis Aug 21, 2016 4:44 PM

I agree that the level of interest in the civic election is very low and would expect it to to that way until after Labour Day, when things traditionally heat up. Unfortunately, I don't think it will get any more interesting come fall.
As much as I've had some personal disagreements with Atch through the years I do believe that he has been a very good mayor for Saskatoon. That being said, I think his time is up and expect to see Mayor Charlie later this fall.

CDBAG Aug 22, 2016 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisis (Post 7537767)
I agree that the level of interest in the civic election is very low and would expect it to to that way until after Labour Day, when things traditionally heat up. Unfortunately, I don't think it will get any more interesting come fall.
As much as I've had some personal disagreements with Atch through the years I do believe that he has been a very good mayor for Saskatoon. That being said, I think his time is up and expect to see Mayor Charlie later this fall.

I believe that Ms. Moore should be considered a serious candidate and could be a true dark horse, she launched at the right time, will be fresh going into September. Charlie started strong, not sure how he'll finish. Atch has been a mayor and has overseen some great growth over the last 13 years. This is a tough one, I think atch loses to Moore in a low voter turnout. I think she has more credibility then Charlie.

hunter12 Aug 24, 2016 1:16 AM

race for mayor

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBAG (Post 7538086)
I believe that Ms. Moore should be considered a serious candidate and could be a true dark horse, she launched at the right time, will be fresh going into September. Charlie started strong, not sure how he'll finish. Atch has been a mayor and has overseen some great growth over the last 13 years. This is a tough one, I think atch loses to Moore in a low voter turnout. I think she has more credibility then Charlie.

Here are my two cents
Atch has been a decent mayor and has got plenty done. However, in the process of getting things done there are always people who disagree with his decisions so Atch has lots of "baggage" so to speak.
Charlie Clark is a viable alternative to Atch if it is really time for a change. He has done an admirable job as a city councillor and has experience.
I see Moore as no viable option. No experience on council and not a strong business background. She has no hope of my vote.
Dayday's ship has sailed and is definitely not a viable option. We voted him out for many reasons once before and I wish him well in retirement. I voted him out once and I never want to have to vote him out again.
My vote will be going to Clark or Atch.

W.W. La Chance Aug 25, 2016 5:17 AM

The candidate's views on a prospective new arena:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...downtown-arena

W.W. La Chance Aug 25, 2016 5:17 AM

Kelley Moore as a potential dark horse:

https://t.co/L17J2wCgdF

saskatoonborn Aug 26, 2016 2:03 AM

Honestly I can't forsee any reality in which I would vote for Dayday. His comments on the study for the arena clearly show he is incapable of forward thinking or even considering that the people and businesses of this cities views may have changed in 30 years.

W.W. La Chance Aug 30, 2016 12:46 AM

Mayoral Candidates Call for Release of Preliminary Budget:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2910340/ma.../?sf34641415=1

Echoes Sep 16, 2016 1:33 PM

Atchison leads Clark with Moore third, poll says

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
Published on: September 16, 2016 | Last Updated: September 16, 2016 4:00 AM CST

Quote:

Saskatoon’s mayoral race is still shaping up as a contest between Mayor Don Atchison and Coun. Charlie Clark, but newcomer Kelley Moore has jumped to third, a new poll suggests.

Atchison led the latest Mainstreet Research/Postmedia Network Inc. poll with support from 29 per cent of respondents, unchanged from a July poll, followed by Clark at 24 per cent, down slightly from July, but within the poll’s margin of error.

Moore has taken third place with 18 per cent from former mayor Henry Dayday, who has dropped to five per cent. Undecided voters account for 22 per cent of respondents.

“We’re seeing a real dynamic,” Mainstreet Research vice-president David Valentin said. “It could end up being a three-way race, and a very exciting three-way race.”

The telephone poll, which mixed land lines and cellphones of 802 Saskatoon residents, was conducted on Tuesday. It is considered accurate within 3.46 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Atchison led among both men and women voters, with 28 per cent and 30 per cent respectively. Clark was close behind among men with 26 per cent; Clark and Moore were tied for second place among women voters, with 22 per cent. Moore polled at just 14 per cent among men.

Atchison also commanded the lead in every age group except 18-34, where Clark had a 36 per cent lead and Atchison trailed Moore’s 23 per cent with 19 per cent.

In the coveted over-65 age group, which Valentin pointed out delivers the most reliable voters, Atchison, 64 years old, held a substantial lead with 36 per cent, compared to 12 per cent for 42-year-old Clark and eight per cent for Moore, who is 43.

However, 38 per cent of respondents over the age of 65 said they remain undecided. Valentin said courting this demographic group will be key for any candidate hoping to win.

“That’s the group that’s going to decide the election,” Valentin said.

Among decided voters, Atchison leads with 37 per cent, followed by Clark at 31 per cent, Moore at 23 per cent and Dayday at six per cent.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...hird-poll-says

mitchellk12 Sep 16, 2016 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7563868)
Atchison leads Clark with Moore third, poll says

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
Published on: September 16, 2016 | Last Updated: September 16, 2016 4:00 AM CST

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...hird-poll-says

doesnt surprise me. thoughts anyone ?

Crisis Sep 16, 2016 4:06 PM

No real surprise. The vote splitting between Clark & Moore may well carry Atch to another win.

The comment below is a little troubling and doesn't instill confidence that the city is looking to the future...

Quote:

In the coveted over-65 age group, which Valentin pointed out delivers the most reliable voters, Atchison, 64 years old, held a substantial lead with 36 per cent, compared to 12 per cent for 42-year-old Clark and eight per cent for Moore, who is 43.

However, 38 per cent of respondents over the age of 65 said they remain undecided. Valentin said courting this demographic group will be key for any candidate hoping to win.

That’s the group that’s going to decide the election,” Valentin said.

PoliWatch Sep 18, 2016 9:46 PM

The Silly Season

Every election cycle is sure to bring out the ideologues, the rhetoric and an historical review of a candidates actions. One of my favorite hobbies is to catch politicians rhetoric not matching their actions. Some call it hypocrisy. The all candidates town hall revealed that the mayoral race could be entertaining.

Today I'll focus on Charlie Clark. What strikes me here is that Clark criticized city council for needing to spend $50 million on overpasses because of poor planning. Where was Charlie? This was a council that he sat on.

This sudden jolt of fiscal conservatism comes from a guy who is all-in on spending $250 million and $10,000 per month on bike lanes that almost no one uses, causes traffic congestion downtown, and city voters had no say on. It is almost comical to watch Charlie perform as someone who cares about our money.

PoliWatch Sep 18, 2016 10:48 PM

This Site

I just have to say that this site is absolutely brutal to get around on. Very user UNfriendly to say the least. Imagine speaking to the public and trying to direct them to the Saskatoon civic election comments on here.

PoliWatch Sep 18, 2016 11:14 PM

Why are these projects that have a massive cost, not approved by the people? This goes for anything, including bike lanes. These people shouldn't have the power to put us all in debt with the flick of a pen. A short term (4 year) dictatorship is still a dictatorship.

jigglysquishy Sep 18, 2016 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoliWatch (Post 7566252)
Why are these projects that have a massive cost, not approved by the people? This goes for anything, including bike lanes. These people shouldn't have the power to put us all in debt with the flick of a pen. A short term (4 year) dictatorship is still a dictatorship.

This website is easy for anyone under 35 to navigate. Compare it to reddit or 4chan or any of the older forums and SSP is downright easy to use.

EpicPonyTime Sep 23, 2016 7:54 AM

Kelley Moore says art gallery planning 'a colossal disaster'

Charles Hamilton, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: September 20, 2016 | Last Updated: September 20, 2016 8:29 PM CST

Quote:

Saskatoon mayoral candidate Kelley Moore says the idea for the Remai Modern art gallery was a good one, but poor planning by civic officials has cost taxpayers millions.

“I don’t think the concept was a mistake. The way the project was managed was a colossal disaster,” Moore said on Tuesday.

The gallery’s initial budget was $58 million in 2009. At present, the cost for the gallery, parkade and land is estimated to be at least $106 million.

Moore used the gallery to reaffirm her views that city hall’s financials are in disarray and that she is the one to fix it.

Preliminary budget numbers released this week by the city predict a property tax increase of at least 3.89 per cent — without any potential police budget increase and without accounting for inflation.

Moore did not offer any specific areas to cut in this year’s budget, but did say the city needs to get a handle on growth and finish new suburban neighbourhoods before any new ones are built.

“We have overextended ourselves at this point,” Moore said.

In an earlier “vision” for the city, Moore released a list of capital projects she would like to see built in the future. Those promises included a new downtown library and a partnership with Saskatchewan Polytechnic to build a new campus downtown.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ossal-disaster

Have any of the other candidates spoke about a new campus for SIAST? I know its been brought up before but I'm not sure if anyone has spoken for/against it. I'd love to see it happen, especially if it includes student housing and the development of a student-oriented area with shops, restaurants and bars.

Echoes Sep 23, 2016 2:55 PM

^ There are definitely interesting opportunities for a new/expanded Sask Polytechnic to tie into the North Downtown plan.

It's a bit of a head scratcher as part of a campaign platform at the municipal level though. It seems the province would have to be the lead on it and put up much of the cash, which I don't see happening given current conditions.

But as part of a long term vision for the city, yeah, I fully support an expanded presence of our postsecondary institutions in the city centre.

Echoes Sep 28, 2016 2:46 PM

The gloves came off from the Clark campaign yesterday with a very strong statement trashing Atch's leadership. This is exactly what Clark needed to get some forward momentum going again.

Anyone get the sense that Moore is becoming a less compelling voice in this campaign? I feel like her early gains in the polls may have been a bit artificial due to her novelty as a candidate. Some of her campaign's behavior on social media lately has been amateur to say the least. She may have peaked.

These upcoming mayoral forums/debates are going to be interesting. Atch does not do well with being challenged.

mitchellk12 Sep 28, 2016 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 7577074)
The gloves came off from the Clark campaign yesterday with a very strong statement trashing Atch's leadership. This is exactly what Clark needed to get some forward momentum going again.

Anyone get the sense that Moore is becoming a less compelling voice in this campaign? I feel like her early gains in the polls may have been a bit artificial due to her novelty as a candidate. Some of her campaign's behavior on social media lately has been amateur to say the least. She may have peaked.

These upcoming mayoral forums/debates are going to be interesting. Atch does not do well with being challenged.

this is a tough election, especially with so many of the wards being challenged by 3-4 candidates also. to me its between clark/atch. either way, to be a successful mayor, you need strong ambition and leadership in council support also. tough to say who will get it. i do agree as Moore has reached her peak, her view on how she sees future growth concerns me quite a bit.

mitchellk12 Sep 29, 2016 5:28 AM

Did anyone catch the live mayoral forum today? I watched it live. In my opinion i think kelley moore sure stepped up and had some good points.

Crisis Sep 30, 2016 2:36 PM

Yup, there's vote-splitting taking place among Atch's opponents. Also a large number of undecided voters
  • Undecided - 28%
  • Atchison - 26%
  • Clark - 23%
  • Moore - 22%

Full story from the S-P about the latest poll:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ight-race-poll

Echoes Sep 30, 2016 4:01 PM

The % of undecided voters growing from the last poll is interesting.

Atch, Clark, and Moore are essentially in a dead heat.

hunter12 Oct 1, 2016 12:12 AM

race for mayor

Yup there is also vote splitting taking place among Moore opponents. Hope undecided don't decide on Moore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisis (Post 7579207)
Yup, there's vote-splitting taking place among Atch's opponents. Also a large number of undecided voters
  • Undecided - 28%
  • Atchison - 26%
  • Clark - 23%
  • Moore - 22%

Full story from the S-P about the latest poll:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ight-race-poll

W.W. La Chance Oct 5, 2016 10:54 PM

Liveable YXE has posted their candidate report card. The organization is questionable but it provides some nice insight into each candidate from Mayoral to Councillors.

http://liveableyxe.ca/report-card/

There's also a new poll from Mainstreet tomorrow. Last poll saw an increase from Moore, decreases from Atch and Clark, and a "showing" from Hein.

As previously noted:

Atch - 26% (-3)
Clark - 23% (-1)
Moore - 22% (+4)
Hein - 1%
Undecided - 28% (+6)

W.W. La Chance Oct 6, 2016 1:41 PM

Moore - 27 (+5)
Atch - 25 (-1)
Clark - 23 (NC)
Hein - 4 (+3)
Undecided - 21 (-7)

http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/moo...clark-stalled/

Jezza Oct 6, 2016 4:27 PM

Wow. At this rate Clark may have to step down in order to avoid splitting the anyone but Atch vote. Who would have thought.

mitchellk12 Oct 6, 2016 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jezza (Post 7585674)
Wow. At this rate Clark may have to step down in order to avoid splitting the anyone but Atch vote. Who would have thought.

this doesnt shock me, after watching the mayoral forum and the live debate, moore sets a different tone than the rest. hein you can just scratch him, i dont even see why hes running. at this point, i can see moore being our new mayor.