SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

J_Murphy Aug 22, 2016 1:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 7538242)
I didn't realize they were even different. Figured they were basically the same store with two different names. Hope this doesn't end up like Future Shop and Best buy.

I've been to Marshalls stores in the U.S. and they are very similar to Winners. I actually found Winners stores are nicer than Marshalls.

rthomasd Aug 23, 2016 4:37 PM

West End Electronics CLOSED after 60 years. Announcement via Facebook.

NewfBC Aug 23, 2016 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7538274)
I've been to Marshalls stores in the U.S. and they are very similar to Winners. I actually found Winners stores are nicer than Marshalls.

Really? I think Marshalls are a lot nicer, better organized. They have a shoe section that's well laid out - 1 pair on display with boxes of different sizes below. Clothes are better displayed as well.

Ron.

Arrakis Aug 23, 2016 8:56 PM

It's unfortunate news but not really surprising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 7539826)
West End Electronics CLOSED after 60 years. Announcement via Facebook.

J_Murphy Aug 23, 2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 7539967)
Really? I think Marshalls are a lot nicer, better organized. They have a shoe section that's well laid out - 1 pair on display with boxes of different sizes below. Clothes are better displayed as well.

Ron.

Actually, now that I think of it, I may be confusing Marshalls with Ross. Not sure I've been to a Marshalls.

Arrakis Aug 29, 2016 10:31 AM

Story about the future of the former Dominion locations running on CBC's website...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...cery-1.3737545

tylerTUBE Aug 29, 2016 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 (Post 7482137)
Does anyone know if there's going to be something else in the space between Piatto and Leon's on Elizabeth Ave?

Cavedog supplements and First Choice have moved into the spots there, looks like another shop will open next to that too

J_Murphy Aug 30, 2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7544930)
Story about the future of the former Dominion locations running on CBC's website...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...cery-1.3737545

The former location in Churchill Square could be a good location for a Shoppers Drug Mart. Shoppers is already owned by Loblaws and could replace the location in the square which is way too small, and could maybe also replace the aging building on Freshwater.

Arrakis Aug 31, 2016 11:58 AM

This story is running on vicm's website today.
http://vocm.com/news/vacant-churchil...rocery-status/

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7546038)
The former location in Churchill Square could be a good location for a Shoppers Drug Mart. Shoppers is already owned by Loblaws and could replace the location in the square which is way too small, and could maybe also replace the aging building on Freshwater.

rthomasd Aug 31, 2016 2:05 PM

Wasn't there some discussion a few years ago about Shoppers doing extensive renovations to their location at Freshwater, even buying a surrounding property, etc? I remember some discussion at City Council about it. Is that off the table now? The Freshwater location is a really old building in need of a lot of repair, the floors are bad, etc.

UPDATE: From City Council Meeting of June 16, 2015 - I don't believe the public hearing ever went ahead.

"
Delegations
198 and 204 Freshwater Road –
Rezoning and Redevelopment of Shoppers Drug Mart

The Committee welcomed a delegation from Dillon Consulting on behalf of Shoppers Realty Inc.

They presented a Powerpoint providing an overview of their intended redevelopment of Shopper’s Drug Mart.

Discussion ensued and Council questioned access to the property. The proponents
advised that vehicular access to the property will be from Winchester Street, same as at present.
Currently 198 and 204 Freshwater Road are split by Liverpool Avenue. Shoppers Drug Mart wishes to purchase two parcels
of land from the City: Liverpool Avenue (between Freshwater Road and Winchester Street), and a small parcel of land between
Empire Avenue and the Shoppers Drug Mart property. The purchase of these two parcels
of land will provide for more efficient use and access to the site, along with additional
room for parking. Legal Services has reviewed the proposed sale, and have noted there
are no issues with the lands being conveyed to Shoppers, as they contain no water or
sewage services and do not impact traffic flow. Legal has requested that the description
for Liverpool Street specifically reference the right of 196 Freshwater to cross over the
lands being conveyed so as to access their property. This change should have no impact
upon any plotting of the overall site. Public Works, Roads and Traffic Division, has also
reviewed the proposed sale and has no concerns with it.

Drug Mart wishes to purchase two parcels of land from the City: Liverpool Avenue
(between Freshwater Road and Winchester Street), and a small parcel of land between
Empire Avenue and the Shoppers Drug Mart property. The purchase of these two parcels
of land will provide for more efficient use and access to the site, along with additional
room for parking. Legal Services has reviewed the proposed sale, and have noted there
are no issues with the lands being conveyed to Shoppers, as they contain no water or
sewage services and do not impact traffic flow. Legal has requested that the description
for Liverpool Street specifically reference the right of 196 Freshwater to cross over the
lands being conveyed so as to access their property. This change should have no impact
upon any plotting of the overall site. Public Works, Roads and Traffic Division, has also
reviewed the proposed sale and has no concerns with it.

Council suggested that the applicant acquire the property at 196 Freshwater Road to facilitate a more accessible entry
to the property from Winchester Street. Dillon Consulting advised that
196 Freshwater Road uses Liverpool Avenue to gain access to their property and even
with the development, nothing would change. The applicants did assure Council they would explore the option of purchasing 196 Freshwater Road

Recommendation
It was moved by Councillor Hickman; seconded by Councillor Davis:

That Council support staff’s recommendation to approve the draft Terms of
Reference and after subsequent receipt of a satisfactory Land Use Assessment
Report, the application be referred to a public meeting chaired by a member of Council. At a later stage, a public hearing chaired by independent commissioner
will be required

"

Marty_Mcfly Sep 20, 2016 5:32 PM

Redundancy at it's finest: there are now two Ardene locations in the Avalon Mall.

Malreynolds Sep 21, 2016 11:00 AM

heard a rumor that Toys R Us maybe closing up shop here... Anyone else heard anything about this??

IronMan Sep 21, 2016 3:51 PM

I hope there is no truth to this rumour! It seems to be a busy store! I know that there has been much discussion regarding the building and larger plaza (tearing it down, building hotel, etc). Would they just be moving to a new location I wonder?

statbass Sep 21, 2016 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 7569328)
heard a rumor that Toys R Us maybe closing up shop here... Anyone else heard anything about this??

Wow... that would be a disaster, especially for us folks with young kids. I go there on a regular basis and it always seems to be busy. I would hope this rumor is false. Where did you hear this? Credible source? I wouldn't expect you to name names, just like to know if this rumor can be substantiated.

Malreynolds Sep 21, 2016 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 7569801)
Wow... that would be a disaster, especially for us folks with young kids. I go there on a regular basis and it always seems to be busy. I would hope this rumor is false. Where did you hear this? Credible source? I wouldn't expect you to name names, just like to know if this rumor can be substantiated.

talking to a friend who works there and they are staying open but everything else is gone in the building

PoscStudent Sep 21, 2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 7569985)
talking to a friend who works there and they are staying open but everything else is gone in the building

Wow

statbass Sep 22, 2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 7569985)

So they're not closing, just everything else is? I'm still a bit confused, you're last two post seem to contradict one another. That plaza has been slowly dying over the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toys R Us relocate elsewhere.

rthomasd Sep 22, 2016 12:23 PM

I'd read somewhere that the plaza was being redeveloped by the Mall owners. Cohens moved out and the whole area was to be changed, even a bridge accross the river, etc.

Malreynolds Sep 22, 2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 7570609)
So they're not closing, just everything else is? I'm still a bit confused, you're last two post seem to contradict one another. That plaza has been slowly dying over the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toys R Us relocate elsewhere.

i heard the rumor from someone else and then i checked it with a friend who worked at Toys r us

IronMan Sep 22, 2016 1:08 PM

I believe you are correct unsaying that there are big plans for the plaza, as I believe the owners are moving out the long term lease tenants. I heard that the only part of the building that will remain is the Toy's R Us portion.

On another note, does anyone have any update on the Marshall's store that is supposed to go into the old Future Store? I don't see any activity up there as of yet?

:)