SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Oct 29, 2007 1:33 PM

We will see about the Colts in a few weeks. ;)

obendega Oct 29, 2007 7:56 PM

Holly CRAP! A United A319 just flew by my window with flames shooting out of it's right engine. At first I thought a helicopter was flying by because of the puh-puh-puh sound.

Looks like it landed ok though. No smoke over Lindbergh. The next three planes were called off but the fourth landed so it must not have been too serious.

Freakin' scary.

bmfarley Oct 29, 2007 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obendega (Post 3133567)
Holly CRAP! A United A319 just flew by my window with flames shooting out of it's right engine. At first I thought a helicopter was flying buy because of the puh-puh-puh sound.

Looks like it landed ok though. No smoke over Lindbergh. The next three planes were called off but the fourth landed so it must not have been too serious.

Freakin' scary.

Seriously? 'Cause I could have sworn I heard a plane coming in that sounded lounder than normal within the past 20 minutes. Come to think of it... I see them come in and I don't hear any of them. I didn't think to look.

druna974 Oct 29, 2007 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3122575)
Here's the view down Island, after the Thomas Jefferson Law School is built...[IMG]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w.../tjslarial.jpg[/IMG]

Where was this pic taken from?

bmfarley Oct 29, 2007 10:39 PM

^^^ Probably The Mark... which is on Market between 8th & 9th as I recall.

obendega Oct 29, 2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3133588)
Seriously? 'Cause I could have sworn I heard a plane coming in that sounded lounder than normal within the past 20 minutes. Come to think of it... I see them come in and I don't hear any of them. I didn't think to look.

This definitely didn't sound like a plane. It really sounded like an extremely loud military chopper. Still haven't found anything on the news about it.

Derek Oct 29, 2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druna974 (Post 3133606)
Where was this pic taken from?

That entire area is actually filling in quite nicely.

vanhattan Oct 30, 2007 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 3132086)
Satellite view of the Fires
http://signonsandiego.lamphost.net/a...1024terra2.jpg

Some Interesting Vids

Time Lapse
Harris Fire 2007(near my hood in San Diego)
Video Link

Cedar Fire (from 2003)
Video Link

Smoky San Diego Skyline 2007
Video Link

Way cool videos!! :banana: Thanks!

ShekelPop Oct 30, 2007 7:01 AM

Hey guys, there's some good new stuff on CCDC's interactive map, the update was Monday (today/yesterday depending on when you're reading this), if anyone wants to begin a new homework assignment and upload some of the new photos, I'm sure we'll be grateful, I'm merely passing the buck due to time constraints.

mello Oct 30, 2007 8:08 AM

I love satellite photos!! Look at that weird greenish color of the Sea of Cortez around San Felipe??? Creepy:sly:

HurricaneHugo Oct 31, 2007 12:50 AM

what are they going to do to 225 Broadway (the NBC building)?

I saw a sign saying it's going to be remodeled?

Derek Oct 31, 2007 12:51 AM

As long as it looks better than it does now, then I'm happy.

Trvlr Oct 31, 2007 4:40 AM

Hi everyone.

Frequent reader, infrequent poster, but bucking the trend with an interesting article from San Diego Metropolitan's Daily Business Report about retail absorption in downtown S.D. Long story short, retail expansion is slowing temporarily due to the slowing housing market, but long-term outlook is positive with lots of new hotel rooms on the horizon and a steady backlog of condo projects.

---

The completion of 425,000 square feet of new commercial retail space over the past 12 months -- along with the postponement of several planned mixed-use redevelopment projects -- have contributed to Downtown’s first negative retail absorption since at least 2001, reports Burnham Urban Retail Group. That was the year Burnham first started studying the Downtown commercial market.

The Burnham report shows that as of Aug. 31, the Downtown retail market had -88,472 square feet of net absorption. This compares to the same time a year ago when net absorption was 39,428 square feet.

"Available retail inventory in downtown San Diego has increased due to the near simultaneous completion of over 400,000 square feet new space," says Bill Shrader, senior v.p. and principal with Burnham Urban Retail Group. "Additionally, the pause in the construction of several condominium projects has returned some existing retail space to the market, which is adding to the vacancy rate."

Shrader noted that it is because retailers in general see tremendous long-term opportunity Downtown that many are putting off their decision to operate Downtown until new or planned projects are complete. "Retailers recognize that San Diego is successfully transforming into a thriving 24/7 urban center. More importantly, they recognize that the slowdown in new residential construction is temporary and they want to be ready to move quickly once development resumes," he says.

Adding to the stability of the Downtown retail market is the nearly 2,500 new hotel rooms that are being added to the market over the next 24 months. Hotels under construction include the soon-to-be completed 420-room Hard Rock Hotel in Gaslamp Quarter, 1,200-room Hilton Convention Center Hotel, and a 239-room Residence Inn. The 210-room Hotel Indigo will break ground in the Ballpark District within the next three months and will be followed by a 344-room Marriott Renaissance Hotel in Gaslamp in 2008. Additionally, Marriott has announced plans for an additional 1,650-room hotel just east of Petco Park.

"In essence, Downtown’s next wave of construction is new hotel development to serve San Diego’s growing tourism and convention industry," says Corinna Gattasso, v.p. and co-founder of Burnham Urban Retail Group. "Retailers recognize the sales potential from the increased spending money visitors bring with them."

Retailers also will continue to benefit from renewed office development Downtown. Cisterra’s DiamondView Tower is 90 percent leased, and American Equities Plaza (developed by Lankford) is 85 percent leased. On the horizon is a 685,000-square-foot office tower planned by The Irvine Co. that will break ground soon at Broadway and Kettner."The residential, hotel and office growth Downtown has created the right mix of use and the synergy to support a thriving retail environment," says Gattasso.

Planned and under construction retail space currently totals 575,291 square feet, 75 percent of which is a multi-level power center planned for development on the former Unocal site adjacent to Petco Park. This compares to 2005 when there were 1,129,341 square feet of new space planned or under construction, 64 percent of which was located in the East Village area near Petco Park.

"The market will steadily absorb the current supply of available space, particularly with the temporary slowdown in new construction," says Shrader.

The Burnham study says there are 5,005,561 square feet of retail inventory in Downtown. This is up from total inventory of 4,575,607 in 2006, an increase that is due in part to 200,000 square feet of new space that came on line in the East Village/Ballpark District alone.

Currently, 397,212 square feet of Downtown retail space is unoccupied, for a 7.9 percent vacancy rate. This is up from the same time in 2006, when vacancy was 6.6 percent. Net absorption in 2006 totaled 39,428 square feet, the Burnham report shows.

Gattasso says Downtown continues to attract quality retail tenants, especially restaurants who are eager to capitalize on the thousands of new residents and workers in the central district areas. These include Bice Restaurant, which will be opening in Gaslamp Square at the corner of Fourth and Island in the second quarter of 2008. "Bice is returning to Downtown 10 years after it opened in the ill-fated Paladian project in the early ’90s," Shrader says. "The market has grown tremendously and Bice is very excited to be part of the Downtown market, which has an outstanding long-term outlook."

Additionally, Donovan’s Steakhouse -- which has been looking for a Downtown location for several years -- will be opening in the former Trophy’s location at Sixth Avenue and K Street.

The Burnham study shows that East Village/Ballpark District accounted for most of the year-to-date negative absorption with -76,515 square feet. Little Italy was next, with -15,782 square feet, followed by Cortez Hill, with -14,550 square feet. The highest positive absorption reported Downtown occurred in the Columbia district, with 9,287 square feet. It was followed by the Marina District with 8,550 square feet and the Gaslamp, with 5,919 square feet.

Cortez Hill reports 20.4 percent retail vacancy, followed by East Village at 18.1 percent, and the central core at 10 percent. The lowest retail vacancy rates are reported by Horton, with just 1.8 percent vacancy, the Marina District with 3.2 percent vacancy, and the Gaslamp with 3.4 percent vacancy.

"2008 will be a year to absorb space, particularly the new inventory in the Ballpark District," Shrader says. "We fully expect the vacancy factor to go down significantly over the next year as existing space leases up and nowhere near as much new space is delivered. Long term, this bodes well for retailers and investors alike."

Derek Oct 31, 2007 5:00 AM

Thanks for posting Trvlr!

Now when is Fuddrucker's supposed to open on the corner of Fifth and Broadway?

Derek Oct 31, 2007 5:02 AM

Additionally, Marriott has announced plans for an additional 1,650-room hotel just east of Petco Park.

Do you guys think that will actually get off the ground? I saw a rendering for it inside of a window along Third Avenue and Ash I think. I'll try to get a picture of it the next time I go by there.

It looks good though.

mello Oct 31, 2007 5:11 AM

I really am praying that the huge Marriott gets off the ground. It will bring some much needed height to that part of downtown and won't make the Hilton across Harbor look so lonely. I think that Hilton will look crappy just sitting out there by itself all WIDE and bulky like an a short stout elephant :jester:

So I think it will also bring lots of much needed activity to that corner of the Ballpark District/East Village.

I say please move ahead with this quickly :cheers:

HurricaneHugo Oct 31, 2007 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 3134905)
Hey guys, there's some good new stuff on CCDC's interactive map, the update was Monday (today/yesterday depending on when you're reading this), if anyone wants to begin a new homework assignment and upload some of the new photos, I'm sure we'll be grateful, I'm merely passing the buck due to time constraints.

I browsed through it and clicked on every "new" project, nothing i haven't seen before.

bmfarley Oct 31, 2007 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3137165)
I browsed through it and clicked on every "new" project, nothing i haven't seen before.

ditto

Wha a tease!

ShekelPop Nov 1, 2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3137383)
ditto

Wha a tease!

the jd wong hotel on ash? am i behind? well, just kidding then.

Derek Nov 1, 2007 4:31 AM

I haven't heard of JD Wong.

Anybody know what site is being cleared on the block to the direct east of The Mark?