SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Never Built & Visionary Projects (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   CHICAGO | Conservatory Tower | 82 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156242)

Chicagoguy Aug 19, 2008 1:55 AM

CHICAGO | Conservatory Tower | 82 FLOORS

There wasn't a tread for this one yet so I figured it would be nice to start one since there is a tread for it on skyscrapercity!

Conservatory Tower aspires to set a precedent for environmentally sensitive tall buildings in Chicago’s urban context. The 1.1 million sf project is composed of two distinct yet complementary components, a conservatory or enclosed winter garden, and an 80 story hotel and condo tower rising above.

The 28,000 sf winter garden is enclosed by a high efficiency glazing system, protecting a lush landscape and occupants from inclement weather, noise and air pollution, while optimizing natural air ventilation. The tower’s thin profile makes full use of natural light, while minimizing heat gain during summer months and shadow effect on neighboring spaces. Natural light can reach the interior spaces, reducing energy consumption year round. Topping the tower is a Sky Garden containing a number of condominium amenities and an enclosed garden.

http://www.scb.com/images/project/41...x34_Page_1.jpg

http://www.scb.com/images/project/41...se1_Page_2.jpg
Photos from SCB's website

WonderlandPark Aug 19, 2008 2:06 AM

Is there a street address for this? Looks easily 900' and I love the bottom greenhouse "blob."

Chicagoguy Aug 19, 2008 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderlandPark (Post 3743749)
Is there a street address for this? Looks easily 900' and I love the bottom greenhouse "blob."

Not sure the exact address but I heard it might be behind 200 North Dearborn and would replace that food court there. And yes I heard that somewhere around 900 is what they expect it to be although no definite height has been released.

scalziand Aug 19, 2008 3:50 PM

Nice to see this one finally get its own thread.

Chicagoguy Aug 19, 2008 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 3744661)
Nice to see this one finally get its own thread.

Yea I thought it was about time for it!

SlatsGrobnik Aug 19, 2008 8:48 PM

Developer? Architect? Budget? Timeline to start/complete? What hotel? How many rooms? How many condos?

denizen467 Aug 19, 2008 11:13 PM

^ What, is that all you could come up with? I could think of about a 100 questions. :koko:

Especially since one of them was already answered in the first post. By the way, do you know what ever happened to Slata Grobnik? She disappeared from these forums maybe a year and a half ago, right around the time you appeared.

NYC2ATX Aug 19, 2008 11:40 PM

Already my new favorite proposal in Chicago.

Alliance Aug 20, 2008 12:22 AM

It'd be interesting, from a historical perspective, if this building ended being up about the same height as Citigroup in New York. Conservatory is certianly the nephew of it.

scalziand Aug 20, 2008 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alliance (Post 3745862)
It'd be interesting, from a historical perspective, if this building ended being up about the same height as Citigroup in New York. Conservatory is certianly the nephew of it.

A building on stilts with a slanted roof? Why not!:D

This doesn't look like it will require the groundbreaking engineering that Citigroup needed though.:shrug:

shaberko Aug 20, 2008 2:36 PM

I guess this one will be nicknamed "the vacuum cleaner" if it's built. :)

Rilestone75 Aug 20, 2008 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaberko (Post 3747008)
I guess this one will be nicknamed "the vacuum cleaner" if it's built. :)

Let's just call it the ORECK for short...;)

Plokoon11 Aug 20, 2008 5:49 PM

This tower looks very un safe.

CHAPINM1 Aug 20, 2008 5:58 PM

Despite the differences between the two cities, Chicago and New York DO share quite a bit of traits between a few different buidlings. By no means is this bad, but I'm just noting that both are great and there are more simularities than one would think. For instance the following buildings can easily compare and are similar in a lot of ways:

Aqua (Chicago) - Beekman Place (New York) Difference in height by roughly 40 feet and by 5 - 10 floors, the concepts are similar in addition to the wavy/striking designs.

John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York) Despite the major difference in floors, the heights of both differ by only 127 feet and the concepts for both are similar.

Conservatory Tower (Chicago) - Citigroup (New York) Major difference in floors, yet environmentaly friendly concepts are there plus the slanted roofs! The heights for both may be in the same neighborhood as well.

Plus both cities are currently constructing buildings concurrently that will be the tallest once completed, something that both cities did once before.

Chicagoguy Aug 20, 2008 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747552)
Despite the differences between the two cities, Chicago and New York DO share quite a bit of traits between a few different buidlings. By no means is this bad, but I'm just noting that both are great and there are more simularities than one would think. For instance the following buildings can easily compare and are similar in a lot of ways:

Aqua (Chicago) - Beekman Place (New York)
John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York)
Conservatory Tower (Chicago) - Citigroup (New York)

Plus both cities are currently constructing buildings concurrently that will be the tallest once completed, something that both cities did once before.

I agree with you I think the two cities are very similar although they try to be different!

But I would compare The Girasole more with Waterview Tower, and Tower Verre with the John Hancock Center!

CHAPINM1 Aug 20, 2008 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3747570)
I agree with you I think the two cities are very similar although they try to be different!

But I would compare The Girasole more with Waterview Tower, and Tower Verre with the John Hancock Center!

Great point, I forgot about Tower Verre. I guess the John Hancock Center would be a more appropriate comparason seeing as how it is not only different by 28 feet in height, but it also has the black exterior/X brase steel support like the JHC.

Chicagoguy Aug 20, 2008 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747580)
Great point, I forgot about Tower Verre. I guess the John Hancock Center would be a more appropriate comparason seeing as how it is not only different by 28 feet in height, but it also has the black exterior/X brase steel support like the JHC.

Yea Tower Verre is almost a complete younger brother to the John Hancock...just a more slim and modern version of it...

TowerGuy37 Aug 20, 2008 9:20 PM

Yeah

I love this building !!!!!!!!!! so pretty, graceful and beautiful!!!!! What I hate is the tease of seeing the proposal! We see all these great building proposals always at the wrong time! Then the market starts to get better and all these little cookie cutter developments start stealing sales and these great proposed structures never materialize!!

1) Park Michigan
2) Inter-Continental Tower
3) Wolf Point
4) Waldorf-Astoria
5) Now Waterview possibly ( keeping my fingers crossed on this one)

SlatsGrobnik Aug 20, 2008 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 3745709)
^ What, is that all you could come up with? I could think of about a 100 questions. :koko:

Especially since one of them was already answered in the first post. By the way, do you know what ever happened to Slata Grobnik? She disappeared from these forums maybe a year and a half ago, right around the time you appeared.

Which question was answered?

I am "Slata." I mistyped the name when I first joined, and it took repeated requests over time to get it fixed.

Slats Grobnik was Mike Royko's fictional sidekick, if you didn't know.

Chicagoguy Aug 20, 2008 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowerGuy37 (Post 3748081)
I love this building !!!!!!!!!! so pretty, graceful and beautiful!!!!! What I hate is the tease of seeing the proposal! We see all these great building proposals always at the wrong time! Then the market starts to get better and all these little cookie cutter developments start stealing sales and these great proposed structures never materialize!!

1) Park Michigan
2) Inter-Continental Tower
3) Wolf Point
4) Waldorf-Astoria
5) Now Waterview possibly ( keeping my fingers crossed on this one)

Yes I do hope something happens so that this great beauty gets built. It is sad that Park Michigan and Wolf Point died...but Inter-Continental is still alive and just waiting for the right time to build...they were going to start a couple years ago but sales were so good they couldnt afford to cut that many hotel rooms for that long. As for Waldorf Astoria and Waterview they are still going...although Waterview has hit a rough patch, things will come back to normal soon enough!