SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Tiffany Condos | 2x58m | 2x16 Floors | Approved (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204264)

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 6:10 PM

[St. John's] Tiffany Condos | 2x58m | 2x16 Floors | Approved

This is the area:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7...e1f5ae98_b.jpg

Here's the proposal :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...45468299_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...78851159_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...41418387_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...48436367_n.jpg

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...any%20Lane.pdf

Two 16 floor Condo buildings in Tiffany Estates.

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 6:12 PM

Wow... my Facebook blew up within seconds of your post, ha!

AWESOME! I love it... lots to pick at (are the two towers connected by a low building? Because I dislike that) but I won't.

It's a fine proposal. Looks normal, residential. It'd be nice to have a bit more St. John's flavour to the exterior but it's great.

So exciting. I can't wait until these are added. They'll REALLY stand out from Signal Hill.

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 6:19 PM

I love it more and more the longer I stare at it. Think they'll put a green roof on the building joining the two towers? That'd be nice. And I'd still love to see a parkade. I'd like to see surface parking lots a thing of the past everywhere... even malls. But we'll see. :D

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 6:21 PM

If you look at the plan the building in the middle is 2 levels of parking, it looks like they made a park on top though between the towers :)

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 6:27 PM

Edit

codyLawrenceDylan14 Feb 25, 2013 6:29 PM

I really like this design!!! This is so exciting , the provinces first High-rise residential buildings!! :tup:

Great to know they want to begin this spring! :D

Ayreonaut Feb 25, 2013 6:34 PM

Omg, it makes my skin crawl when things aren't scanned straight! However, once I was able to move past that and look at the renderings, I really like (not love, but really like) the Tiffany Lane development. Nice to see some height in that area (which I think should become one of the taller skylines in the city).

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 6:39 PM

here's a shot by Architype:

http://www.pbase.com/joecanada/image...5/original.jpg

They will have a significant impact especially with the slope of the land!

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 6:40 PM

That centre building is a parkade? WITH a green roof?

O.K., I'm in love. :)

codyLawrenceDylan14 Feb 25, 2013 6:42 PM

Height

From what I gathered on the LUAR , It's going to have a typical floor height of 3.5m With a mechanical penthouse on top of 2.4m

3.5*16 = 56m 56m+2.4m = ~58.4m

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 6:48 PM

Very cool. :) PoscStudent, you should share this in the Canada section.

statbass Feb 25, 2013 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 6028317)
Omg, it makes my skin crawl when things aren't scanned straight!

^^ Haha, same here! I'm glad to see there's at least another person on the SJ forums that's as OCD as I am when it comes to things like that...:haha:

At approximately 60m these buildings will look fantastic and really stand out (in a good way, of course).

Great scoop, Jeddy! :cheers:

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6028340)
^^ Haha, same here! I'm glad to see there's at least another person on the SJ forums that's as OCD as I am when it comes to things like that...:haha:

At approximately 60m these buildings will look fantastic and really stand out (in a good way, of course).

Great scoop, Jeddy! :cheers:

Second time Jeddy gets the credit for someone else's Scoop, hahaha. He's the luckiest guy on SSP!

This was PoscStudent.

statbass Feb 25, 2013 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6028347)
Second time Jeddy gets the credit for someone else's Scoop, hahaha. He's the luckiest guy on SSP!

This was PoscStudent.

Oops...Sorry, PoscStudent! :cheers:

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 7:00 PM

hahahaha shhhhh :P

Townie709 Feb 25, 2013 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6028272)

They look awesome! The design is simplistic, nothing out of the ordinary, but good none-the-less! They are in a great location and add a "bigger city" feeling to that part of town! Not only will they look great from alot of angles, but they will also increase density! I would love to see more highrise condo's go up in the east end in the future, especially down by pleasentville.

Tiffany Towers will have the highest floor count in the city :tup:

No reason not to approve this solid development!

Townie709 Feb 25, 2013 7:19 PM

haha, Jeddy gets credit for everything around here :haha:

I would love to see one of these plopped next to the Hilton Hotel as well, which we will hear more on later tonight!

So at roughly 60m, this will make them the third tallest in the city behind The Dunderbuilding and Cabot II? Sweet!

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 7:22 PM

Tower cranes for these ones?

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 7:22 PM

BTW... can't get over the angle of Architype's shot above. You could not photograph that neighbourhood more attractively. It's perfect. I have to find it once construction starts. :D

Townie709 Feb 25, 2013 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6028398)
Tower cranes for these ones?

At 16 stories, I would hope so! Maybe a shared tower crane between the buildings kind of like they did for the new MUN residences? Although, a crane for each would probably move construction along faster :tup:

Townie709 Feb 25, 2013 7:34 PM

Sorry for the double post again, but did anyone share this in the main Canada section yet?? I think we should. Even though it wouldn't be big news in Montreal or even Halifax for that matter, it's pretty big news for us :)

Maybe include Architype's image of the existing neighbourhood as well?

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 7:35 PM

I was waiting for PoscStudent, but it's taking too long, ha! I'll just give him credit.

EDIT: Done!

JHikka Feb 25, 2013 7:43 PM

That Tiffany development looks great!:tup:

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 7:51 PM

this is the beginning, when developers see that they can do this outside the heritage area downtown and people lose the fear of highrises lol I predict many more of this style to come. It seems like here there needs to be one developer to initiate a type of development then others catch on.

In the pleasantville plan there are 2 buildings that are 10 story apartment buildings just to name one (and maybe they will increase the height after we break our 12 story ceiling lol)

Its like the developers see one that can do a height and a bunch at that height are proposed because they feel comfortable lol

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 7:55 PM

Guys, we need the Steel Toe Boot Squad to come out swinging for this one. I want to see at least 10 of us at every meeting.

If you're a lurker, and don't want to meet with us - that's fine. Just please show up independently. If you're not comfortable speaking, clap after someone who speaks in support.

This is just the beginning for us. We are going to BOOM and, if Jeddy's right, it's going to blow your mind.

My goal is to accomplish three things:

1. Preserve the heritage areas of downtown. Once we're a city of 500,000, a million, even more... our entire existing downtown is going to be a fraction of the size of the one we'll have. Why not preserve ALL the heritage areas, and have a beautiful little remnant of our past like great European cities?

2. Expand our downtown. It's too small for our current population. We're trying to cram too much down there... heritage, development, etc. We need to expand west.

3. WELCOME DEVELOPMENT IN APPROPRIATE AREAS. I want Stantec to have as easy a ****ing ride as possible with this one. I want developers to know they are MORE THAN WELCOME outside the heritage areas. PLEASE build here... don't send your investment somewhere else.

AnUrbanLife Feb 25, 2013 8:46 PM

This is great news, looks a good solid development. :tup:

Any word on how much each of these units will cost per month? I hope it's less then 800 dollars per month so that it demonstrates the positive benefits of high rise construction. Fingers crossed. ;)

Copes Feb 25, 2013 10:40 PM

I'm honestly not in any way blown away by the design of the building, but I'm thrilled with the proposal none the less. The height alone is an excellent precedent, and the location is perfect for that sort of development.

I'll be supporting it, obviously.

RRoome Feb 25, 2013 11:12 PM

I'm a huge lurker and haven't got much to say on the matter, but I love seeing the development that's been happening lately. These towers are sure to set a precedent. I'll try to make it to any meetings I can.

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 11:15 PM

Awesome! Thank you. And join in any discussing you like.

Also, Townie709, BRILLIANT post in the Canadian City Proposals thread!

techie Feb 26, 2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife (Post 6028522)
This is great news, looks a good solid development. :tup:

Any word on how much each of these units will cost per month? I hope it's less then 800 dollars per month so that it demonstrates the positive benefits of high rise construction. Fingers crossed. ;)

I will suggest that these units will rent for no less than 1300 per month. These are not budget units.

AnUrbanLife Feb 26, 2013 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techie (Post 6028950)
I will suggest that these units will rent for no less than 1300 per month. These are not budget units.

Yeah, I guess they are assisted living units with alot of extra facilities and perks, so yes you're probably right. I guess they would have to be compared to other similar low rise developments for relevant numbers.

Thanks for the input :)

Townie709 Feb 26, 2013 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6028765)
Awesome! Thank you. And join in any discussing you like.

Also, Townie709, BRILLIANT post in the Canadian City Proposals thread!

Thanks :) but people still seem to dislike the proposal a lot! I don't think some people really get the layout of our city.. Oh well! We know its great and that's all that matters :D

SignalHillHiker Feb 26, 2013 1:52 AM

That's true... but, most of them are from cities where this really would be pathetic. We're building modern now. This would be like inviting someone from Paris to St. John's and expecting them to be completely blown away by our heritage buildings.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 26, 2013 2:00 AM

Interesting! It's definitely not a pretty proposal; it's pretty standard style for any city in North America, but it's definitely a great proposal for where it's going to be here in our city :)

Townie709 Feb 26, 2013 2:03 AM

Oh yeah, I completely understand that. In any other larger city, a 16 story residential tower would hardly make a difference and those that do gain attention from the "skyscraperpage forumers" would have to have a magnificent design.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 26, 2013 2:16 AM

It's probably because the forumers from larger cities get the opportunity to see truly beautiful, top of the line proposals day in and day out. This is just as exciting for us, we don't often see 16-story buildings being proposed around these parts :P

Architype Feb 26, 2013 2:45 AM

Great to see the new proposals finally. The official name seems to be Tiffany Estates, and the design looks reasonably attractive, something similar to the existing one, with some nice detailing and setbacks. I would guess they will build one at a time, probably with the use of one tower crane, but who knows. The floor to floor heights are quite generous, probably meaining high ceilings etc.; also most of the units are large two bedrooms - this won't be a cheap building by any means. At 58 metres, they would be second tallest only to the the Confed Building, including its lantern "spire". Often a 58 metre building can contain as much as 20 stories.

SignalHillHiker Feb 26, 2013 2:59 AM

Posted this for Chadillac in the Canada section - might be good for us to see here as well:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6029102)
Chadillac - depending on the angle, it's possible to make them look very close to downtown or not very close at all.

In reality, by the standards of St. John's core urban area (not including separate municipalities in the suburbs), they are about half-way across the city from downtown, which is, of course, at the edge along the harbour.

Here is an angle that makes them look about as far from downtown as you could possibly make them look.

These towers will be in the middle of the yellow box at the right edge of the photo:

http://i.imgur.com/S3NHrEM.jpg

And here is an angle that will make them look VERY close to downtown. The buildings in the background of this shot are the existing ones in the yellow box above:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8342/8...ce0fd51f_b.jpg
Old and New St. John's by Signal Hill Hiker Photography, on Flickr

Architype Feb 26, 2013 3:15 AM

The Tiffany buildings are just a few metres shorter than the tallest residential buildings in Halifax (excluding Fenwick, and Kings Wharf (proposed)), they are 21 to 22 stories, and hard to say their exact height, but they're probably around 68 metres or less.

Copes Feb 26, 2013 11:55 AM

It isn't pretty though. Let's be honest. It's a pretty standard suburban tower that you'd see off the highway in a lot of places, and isn't particularly striking. That's disappointing. In my opinion the excitement comes from what the development represents, not what it physically is. As far as I'm concerned, it's physically pretty ugly. Maybe I'm alone on that line of thought though.

statbass Feb 26, 2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes (Post 6029467)
It isn't pretty though. Let's be honest. It's a pretty standard suburban tower that you'd see off the highway in a lot of places, and isn't particularly striking. That's disappointing. In my opinion the excitement comes from what the development represents, not what it physically is. As far as I'm concerned, it's physically pretty ugly. Maybe I'm alone on that line of thought though.

It's definitely a standard run-of-the-mill design. But I think standard is fine, at least for the area in which it is going. It could be a lot worse and it fits in with the senior's condos that's presently there.

jeddy1989 Feb 26, 2013 12:30 PM

I feel like I need to make a clarification with these condos

This whole area is called Tiffany Estates including the old building which i believe is Tiffany Village and the new towers are called Tiffany Condos.

Remember that right now they are just trying to get the site rezoned to allow the height.. therefore this is NOT what it will look like when complete (just a render for scale)
have a look:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n..._5556950_n.jpg

Figure B1

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...41418387_n.jpg

I don't think we should be showing this off to the whole country right now! it's still in the design stages...

SignalHillHiker Feb 26, 2013 12:41 PM

I think it's O.K. to share - they can just see it here anyway. And I'm excited to see the final designs. I imagine they'll be quite similar to these renders - just, perhaps, more detailed?

I'm falling more and more in love with this proposal. The buildings will look so good at that location. I just can't wait - especially to take pictures that include downtown with those far off in the background.

The glass floors on top will complement MIX, Deacon, the LeMarchant Road Condos, the Marriott extension, potentially the Hilton, potentially the Atlantic Place parkade...

We're really starting to get our own look. These towers, despite being completely generic, are really going to contribute to that. :)

jeddy1989 Feb 26, 2013 12:45 PM

I think it'll look good.. the first building looks good so no reason why the phase two would be ugly lol

This is more infill anyway so I didn't expect them to be midblowing or landmark buildings... they are pretty much what I expected (maybe a bit nicer... I'll bring your attention to my amazing render LOL

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...25736299_n.jpg

PoscStudent Feb 26, 2013 1:14 PM

The picture looks good, the new buildings seem to be a bit different but this gives a good idea.

jeddy1989 Feb 26, 2013 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6029502)
The picture looks good, the new buildings seem to be a bit different but this gives a good idea.

This was my "paint" render from a few months ago, not too far off i guess :P

Architype Feb 26, 2013 2:36 PM

I wouldn't complain too much about the design of the Tiffany condos, they are designed by Stantec, have a look at their website:

http://www.stantec.com/default.htm

They seem to specialize in other areas though, such as airports, sports facilities, and environmental projects. They have an impressive list of projects, such as the BC Place Stadium renovations, also some not mentioned on the site at all. Last year they aquired the PHB group, so I guess it is done in conjunction with the local office. IMO, the proposed buildings would not have any problem getting approved in Vancouver or most other places with pretty high standards.

Architype Feb 26, 2013 2:47 PM

And don't pay too much attention to the peanut gallery in the Canada section, they expect everything to be Calatrava or Gehry. Proposals in their own cities can also get some pretty harsh criticism too however. Stantec does some very solid design work, but it's not completely over the top.

SignalHillHiker Feb 26, 2013 3:03 PM

I'm genuinely not offended when we get negative critiques in the Canada section. Most are reasonable and many are, by any objective standard, deserved. For example, I'd be horrified if just about anyone in the Canada section liked that new Hilton proposal.

Sometimes there are issues of different standards/expectations at play. I think these Tiffany Towers are a good example of that. They're average buildings - not gorgeous, not hideous. They should evoke, at worst, a "Meh..." from mainland Canada. For us, because of their disproportionate significance locally, it's natural that we'd be all about it.

jeddy1989 Feb 26, 2013 3:10 PM

what gets me is that that's not the design rendering lol it's still in the process of being designed