SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Apr 10, 2007 6:15 AM

oh, damn...good luck with that;)

:tongue4:

eburress Apr 10, 2007 6:23 AM

Mélissa might not know it yet, but we were meant to be together. Two peas in a pod...like peanut butter and jelly...

Derek Apr 10, 2007 6:25 AM

i dont know what she is saying, but her voice is so sexy...:)

bmfarley Apr 10, 2007 7:28 AM

I've seen her before from youtube. She's the epitome of sexiness!!!! However, I find this even more sexy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ZpGxv32_I

spoonman Apr 10, 2007 7:46 AM

^I watched the video, and SD is depicted as parked cars on the freeway and palm trees...lol

Trvlr Apr 10, 2007 1:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I just registered here and I've decided to post for the first time. I grew up in San Diego, but currently live in Chicago, where I go to school and will be working for the next few years.

My background is primarily in aviation, but I also have a fairly solid interest in wider transportation issues, as well as urban planning.

If you guys have any questions about (commercial) aviation in San Diego, I can probably answer them. As far as the airport goes, I'm pessimistic for the time being, although I think push will come to shove over the next decade, when the effect of increased traffic will translate into more acute delays and road congestion. In the meantime, the best we can expect is an improvement of terminal facilities, including an expansion of the newest part of Terminal 2. However, SAN has 41 gates now, and will max out--for good--at around 60.

In terms of international air service, SAN has been a victim of its size. Big aircraft such as the 747 and 777 simply can't take off from the airport without taking a weight penalty. I am fairly sure that even British Airways' nonstop 777 service to London had to take a cargo penalty which rendered the flight unprofitable. Lately, there has been very serious talk about Philippine Airlines flying to Manila, via Vancouver. However, I believe Canada and the Philippines need to expand their bilateral air service agreement to allow for more flights in and out of Canada before the airline can start service. If this happens, I think we could see Philippine at SAN within the year. Other than that, I think we will need to wait for Boeing's newest airplane, the medium-sized 787, to enter service with multiple airline before we can expect to be connected the likes of Tokyo and London.

The article by UCSD Steve Erie that someone posted earlier in the thread sums up the central problem with airport planning and, in my opinion, city planning in San Diego. There's a very powerful contingent of people who thinks that if we stop growth altogether, we can regain the sleepy Navy town identity we had back in the 60s and 70s. The reality is that this will never happen--there are simply too many people here. Paradoxically, this policy, embodied by people such as Christine Kehoe (who is purely politically motivated--I actually don't mind Donna Frye if she acts as a development watchdog as opposed to an opponent altogether), will probably contribute to a decline in our quality of life, as corporate flight from the city causes our tax base to decline.

In the meantime, I am very happy with what is going on downtown. I went to Bondi and a few other places when I was back here over spring break, and for the first time I felt that the Gaslamp had moved beyond a conventioneer's playground. I agree, however, that there needs to be a better mix of office & residential development. Indeed, I've always wondered why firms such as Bosa and Irvine don't work together to attract high-value tenants; I'm sure there are at least a few companies out there that would love to house their employees within a 5-minute walk to work.

Thanks everyone,
Trvlr

Derek Apr 10, 2007 1:31 PM

can you believe this shit? im watching KUSI and the Turko files is on...people in Liberty Station are complaining of "noise" from a basketball court located across the street from thier condos in a planned park...THEY LIVE UNDER THE FLIGHT PATH OF COMMERCIAL JETS!

everybody's gotta find something to complain of in this town...:no:

Derek Apr 10, 2007 1:35 PM

welcome, TRVLR

i enjoyed your post...some good news in there:)

eburress Apr 10, 2007 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2755862)
I've seen her before from youtube. She's the epitome of sexiness!!!! However, I find this even more sexy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ZpGxv32_I

hahaha - that's funny!

PadreHomer Apr 10, 2007 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2756068)
can you believe this shit? im watching KUSI and the Turko files is on...people in Liberty Station are complaining of "noise" from a basketball court located across the street from thier condos in a planned park...THEY LIVE UNDER THE FLIGHT PATH OF COMMERCIAL JETS!

everybody's gotta find something to complain of in this town...:no:

The amount of complaining and nitpicking that goes on in this town is heartburn inducing and terribly short-sighted.

eburress Apr 10, 2007 9:10 PM

^^ What do you expect? People are idiots.

Derek Apr 10, 2007 11:08 PM

living in this city, im pretty sure i already knew people were idiots;)

spoonman Apr 10, 2007 11:42 PM

Let's vote for the Grimace in the next election...Maybe he can solve our airport woes
http://content.answers.com/main/cont...a9/Grimace.jpg

Derek Apr 10, 2007 11:45 PM

:ack:

sandiego_urban Apr 10, 2007 11:54 PM

Damn, you all are killing me. First the crypt keeper and now the Grimace? :)

Anyone else notice that they finally finished painting the ICON tower? Bad pic, but you get the idea
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...203/iconic.jpg

Also, the high speed train video and pics are really cool! :tup:

Derek Apr 10, 2007 11:57 PM

wow, it wasnt even finished on Easter Sunday when i went to the Pads game...

nice:tup:

eburress Apr 11, 2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2757657)
Damn, you all are killing me. First the crypt keeper and now the Grimace? :)

Two quotes come to mind:

"If God had wanted us to vote, He would have given us candidates."

...and...

"When you are voting for the lesser of two evils, you are still voting for evil."

Derek Apr 11, 2007 12:09 AM

anybody catch the "Your Name Here" sign on top of Diamondview (its just out of the picture in that CCDC webshot)

i think it would be very appropriate if the 4SD logo was up there, as they will be doing work from inside that building in the coming months...

your thoughts?

keg92101 Apr 11, 2007 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2757685)
anybody catch the "Your Name Here" sign on top of Diamondview (its just out of the picture in that CCDC webshot)

i think it would be very appropriate if the 4SD logo was up there, as they will be doing work from inside that building in the coming months...

your thoughts?

To the highest bidder. This building may have a different sign on every side, as this was one of the income capabilities that helped this building to pencil financially

Derek Apr 11, 2007 2:22 AM

i think Cox has some office space in there (if i recall correctly...)