SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   CHICAGO | Politics and Current Events (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213683)

Baronvonellis Jan 30, 2019 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8454199)
News worthy of giant font.

As with construction, let's save the bannannas until they break ground on a federal criminal case against him. Don't want to jinx it, gotta wait until the prosecutor starts drilling cassions into him.

Haha that's hilarious!!:haha::haha::haha:

left of center Jan 30, 2019 10:58 PM

I literally jumped with joy when I saw that headline. Not sure how much the feds have on him, but assuming a story like this was leaked to the press, I assume the FBI have a solid enough case that they don't need to keep their investigation hush hush anymore.

emathias Jan 30, 2019 11:52 PM

Friend of mine quipped, "I hope the sex acts and the use of the luxury farm aren't related" ...

SIGSEGV Jan 31, 2019 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 8455833)
Friend of mine quipped, "I hope the sex acts and the use of the luxury farm aren't related" ...

Neigh to that!

LouisVanDerWright Jan 31, 2019 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 8455833)

Wouldn't it be great if the Feds couldn't nail Madigan saying "hire me or else" on tape, but they were able to take him down because they did have a recording by Solis of Madigan banging a goat at the luxury farm?

"So that's why the billygoat curse ended... disturbing"

Hourstrooper Jan 31, 2019 11:43 PM

Whos among the consensus to win the mayors race in 3 weeks? who do most people want this time around? I hope to god its not sodawinkle

the urban politician Feb 1, 2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hourstrooper (Post 8457165)
Whos among the consensus to win the mayors race in 3 weeks? who do most people want this time around? I hope to god its not sodawinkle

Mendoza and Buttwinkle are both down but the latter had a lead so now she’s sort of tied with Daley

It will be a runoff, but now it’s all about who snags whose votes.

If we get the Winkle we get rent control. That’s how I view it.

Illinois will be fucked, that’s for sure.

Hourstrooper Feb 1, 2019 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8457208)
Mendoza and Buttwinkle are both down but the latter had a lead so now she’s sort of tied with Daley

It will be a runoff, but now it’s all about who snags whose votes.

If we get the Winkle we get rent control. That’s how I view it.

Illinois will be fucked, that’s for sure.

that would be god awful, hopfully she gets ousted and daley or Mendoza wins then.

Halsted & Villagio Feb 3, 2019 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hourstrooper (Post 8457343)
that would be god awful, hopfully she gets ousted and daley or Mendoza wins then.

Mendoza represents machine politics.... she has been exposed through the most recent series of scandals. She is thick with dirt on her hands. I am not a fan of Peckwinckle or Daley either for the same/similar reasons. Chicago needs a reformer. Not sure who that is exactly but I do know that anyone who represents the old “pay to play” and nepotism way of doing things around here will not be getting my vote.

I will say that of the readily identified machine/nepotism group, I do favor Daley a little more than the rest of that rotten little bunch, but I still don’t like him enough to give him my vote.

Excuse the typos.... I am on my cell phone.

Hourstrooper Feb 3, 2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio (Post 8459751)
Mendoza represents machine politics.... she has been exposed through the most recent series of scandals. She is thick with dirt on her hands. I am not a fan of Peckwinckle or Daley either for the same/similar reasons. Chicago needs a reformer. Not sure who that is exactly but I do know that anyone who represents the old “pay to play” and nepotism way of doing things around here will not be getting my vote.

I will say that of the readily identified machine/nepotism group, I do favor Daley a little more than the rest of that rotten little bunch, but I still don’t like him enough to give him my vote.

Excuse the typos.... I am on my cell phone.

Agreed with that statement however, A reformer simply will not win its going to be one of the 4 front runners that just the way it works here unfortunately, Money raised=votes and ads to draw votes. and also none of the reformers have much experience at all ie… for a mayor in the current pool, The only reason they are in the pool right now is to split up votes from each other thus no chance...…. and to draw away from sodawinkle. Chicago needs a pro business pro development mayor to keep growing strong as it is. Daley is the most qualified as chief of staff for Obama he knows what needs to be done and he is only willing to serve 2 terms because he is older already anyways. But bottom line winners for a runoff will be the top 4 candidates

Halsted & Villagio Feb 4, 2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hourstrooper (Post 8459805)
Agreed with that statement however, A reformer simply will not win its going to be one of the 4 front runners that just the way it works here unfortunately, Money raised=votes and ads to draw votes. and also none of the reformers have much experience at all ie… for a mayor in the current pool, The only reason they are in the pool right now is to split up votes from each other thus no chance...…. and to draw away from sodawinkle. Chicago needs a pro business pro development mayor to keep growing strong as it is. Daley is the most qualified as chief of staff for Obama he knows what needs to be done and he is only willing to serve 2 terms because he is older already anyways. But bottom line winners for a runoff will be the top 4 candidates

You might be right but I would not write off a guy like Vallas. In fact, I think I am leaning Vallas at this point. Sure he lacks experience but I would trade lack of experience for “pay to play” and nepotism any day. And I should correct my earlier post to read “Daley won’t be getting my vote YET”.... there is still time for him to convince me he is different from his brother and father... but that is an uphill climb with me. At this point I lean Vallas.

Halsted & Villagio Feb 5, 2019 3:15 AM

Moments that come along that can fundamentally change the way this city does business only occur a few times (if ever) in a lifetime. This is one of those times. On the heels a FBI stings/arrests/indictments, the legal wheels are finally in motion to incarcerate and get rid of bad apples. Are we now going to turn around and put more of those same kind of people in office??? I won’t be a part of that.

This is a time in history where we can bring about sweeping change. To that end, the machine candidates have no shot with me. The nepotism guy who comes from a machine heritage (Daley)... between now and Election Day, realistically there is not enough time for him to convince me he is different from his father and brother. Self serving lip service and tv ads will not suffice. This time in history calls for sweeping guys like him out. I am 99% sure Daley will not be getting my vote.

Today I took the time to read more about what these candidates are about. Barring the unforeseen, I will be voting for Paul Vallas.

Excuse the typos.... I used my cell phone.

Vlajos Feb 5, 2019 11:10 PM

Young Republicans back Willie Wilson

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...-willie-wilson

LouisVanDerWright Feb 7, 2019 5:12 AM

You just can't make this shit up:

https://wgntv-com.cdn.ampproject.org...ing-to-help%2F

I highly suggest you all watch the full WGN video, what a hilarious slimebag. Now the police are investigating whether he filed a false police report:

https://www-chicagotribune-com.cdn.a...205-story.html

Looks like Moreno might get criminal charges too... I don't see how he doesn't get arrested for this one...

Vlajos Feb 7, 2019 3:33 PM

Union coalition pitches city income tax

Hold on to your wallets, this proposal would have to make Chicago the highest taxed large city in the country. That's going to turnout well. These people are ridiculous. Luckily virtually no mayoral candidate running would get on board with this. Probably only Rosa in the City Council would support this crap.

"A CTU-backed group wants those with annual household income above $100,000 to pay 3.5 percent a year to City Hall—plus a “LaSalle Street tax” and more. But CTA rides and community college would be free."

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ity-income-tax

Baronvonellis Feb 7, 2019 3:45 PM

Wow that's hilarious!! Does Moreno have a wife? There was no mention of a wife.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8464228)
You just can't make this shit up:

https://wgntv-com.cdn.ampproject.org...ing-to-help%2F

I highly suggest you all watch the full WGN video, what a hilarious slimebag. Now the police are investigating whether he filed a false police report:

https://www-chicagotribune-com.cdn.a...205-story.html

Looks like Moreno might get criminal charges too... I don't see how he doesn't get arrested for this one...

the urban politician Feb 7, 2019 4:15 PM

Moron Moreno is the worst

And the City income tax, as well as the LaSalle St tax, will never happen. Particularly the latter.

Even if a union hack like Buttwinkle gets elected, if I were the CEOs of CME and CBOE I would literally call her the very next day and say "If you implement the LaSalle St tax, we will move our entire operations out of Chicago so fast that your head will spin."

LouisVanDerWright Feb 7, 2019 5:50 PM

I've got a better idea than a city income tax, a pension tax!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8464535)
Wow that's hilarious!! Does Moreno have a wife? There was no mention of a wife.

Yes, he's already on #2 actually...

bnk Feb 7, 2019 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8464782)
I've got a better idea than a city income tax, a pension tax!

Yes, he's already on #2 actually...

I love the idea of a pension tax because anyone drawing a pension most likey does not live in Illinois anymore.

Our pensions are subsidizing Red sunbelt states at our expense.

jpIllInoIs Feb 7, 2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 8465000)
I love the idea of a pension tax because anyone drawing a pension most likey does not live in Illinois anymore.

Our pensions are subsidizing Red sunbelt states at our expense.

I back that, but can you tax a non-resident? Can the state make an excise tax on out of state withdrawals?

And that CTU proposal is maddening, how self serving.. Public employees need to pay a much larger percentage of their medical, retirement and retirement medical coverage.