SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | City and Metro Transportation Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167816)

LoneStarMike Jan 15, 2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texboy (Post 4027333)
I flew out of ABIA the other day and it would feel like a large airport except for the fact that every friggen shop in that terminal is a local f-ing business. Don't get me wrong, I think patronizing local eateries and news stands is good for a city, but 13 bucks for a coffee and bagel!?!?!

That's really strange. I flew out of AUS Saturday, January 10 and got a large Albuquerque Turkey Sandwich from the Schlotzky's across from Gate 13 for $6.87 (tax included)

Back on track regarding SAT, is the new Terminal B still slated to be completed sometime in 2010?

texboy Jan 15, 2009 10:24 PM

I didn't go to Schlotzky's....but of course it was at 9 am....not exactly looking for a sandwich in the morning.

To answer your question...its on track for 2010 and Term C should be around 2012....definitely looking forward to the sleek new terminals! (and hopefully JetBlue flying out of em!)

M1EK Jan 16, 2009 12:41 AM

Breakfast tacos, man.

oldmanshirt Jan 16, 2009 1:14 AM

I was pretty shocked to find a Quiznos in the existing terminal 2 at SAT (the one about to be demolished). Kinda made me regret the stale $5 club sandwich I bought at the little sandwich shop/frozen custard whatever outside the gate.

I agree about looking forward to the new terminal(s), as those plus the other new things at SAT (new garage, new roadway) will single-handedly help SA appear more up-to-date to out of towners.

texboy Jan 16, 2009 5:31 AM

Meh, I'll just fly out of SAT and get real breakfast tacos for 99 cents! lol

sakyle04 Jan 16, 2009 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texboy (Post 4029285)
Meh, I'll just fly out of SAT and get real breakfast tacos for 99 cents! lol

Even if I'm running late and can't hit the tacqueria, ther is always Las Palapas at T1. Very nice start to a business trip.

alexjon Jan 16, 2009 5:19 PM

I asked my friend if there were any good food options at MSP and they looked at me with the blankest face and said "No."

SAT would be a good place to stop en route anywhere if you're hungry, but can't really do that on a trip to NYC.

Apparently EWR has some good food, though.

STLtoSA Jan 16, 2009 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexjon (Post 4029980)
I asked my friend if there were any good food options at MSP and they looked at me with the blankest face and said "No."

SAT would be a good place to stop en route anywhere if you're hungry, but can't really do that on a trip to NYC.

Apparently EWR has some good food, though.

I flew through MSP last summer and had a 2-hour layover. I had no trouble finding a place to get some food and sit down and read my book. I am not knocking SAT (these airports shouldn't even be compared to eachother), but MSP makes SAT look like a bus station, and that is including the food options.

Here is a link to MSP's Lindbergh Terminal.

http://www.mspairport.com/msp/docs/LT_Map.pdf

Terminal 1 (soon to be A), and when B and C are done SAT will be a very nice small to medium sized airport. I can't wait.

It was so easy to get in and out of before. Hopefully the accessibility is just as good after all of the improvements are made.

alexjon Jan 16, 2009 7:19 PM

Well, I'm there until 7am. Everything but McDonald's opens right at 7.

STLtoSA Jan 16, 2009 7:21 PM

Sausage biscuit and hashbrowns. Nice.

oldmanshirt Jan 17, 2009 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STLtoSA (Post 4030222)
MSP makes SAT look like a bus station, and that is including the food options.

So do Tampa and Portland, two airports a little closer to SAT's level passenger count-wise.

Quote:

Terminal 1 (soon to be A) is terminal

Actually I'm pretty sure Terminal 2 is terminal ;)

Quote:

It was so easy to get in and out of before. Hopefully the accessibility is just as good after all of the improvements are made.

It should be even better, thanks to the extended two-level roadway.

SAT's "Fun Size" is one of my favorite things about it, the problem is lack of modernity, which the new terminals should address pretty well.

jaga185 Jan 17, 2009 8:57 AM

Fun Size, I like that one. We should start calling San Antonio the Fun Size city.

PartyLine Jan 17, 2009 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STLtoSA (Post 4026976)
I don't know much about the transfer of land for Austin-Bergstrom, but when a city can do that, it is really a good situation. Austin-Bergstrom is a great airport to fly into and it has been planned well. With the terminal built to handle far more gates than are currently operational.

When you walk into the Terminal it has a "major airport" feel to it, even though it only has 25 gates.

Yeah that's what's nice about it and they can expand it later if they need to and we also have the new south terminal for Viva Aerobus according to the airport wbsite our passenger traffic for November 2008 was 682,217 i've never been inside the terminal at SAT. Austin kinda did what Denver did with moving their airport except I don't think DIA wasn't an airforce base.

LoneStarMike Feb 5, 2009 8:05 AM

Final 2008 passenger numbers released

From SAT's website: (pdf file)

SAT Hits Fourth Consecutive Record Breaking Year. YTD 2008 up 3.5% over YTD 2007 with 8,358,515 passengers

Limestone Feb 7, 2009 4:01 PM

Its good to SAT continue to post positive numbers. Hopefully, 2009 will have a few air service highlights...maybe new Mexico flights on a LCC, perhaps JetBlue.

KevinFromTexas Feb 9, 2009 9:00 AM

This thread is for San Antonio.

PartyLine Feb 9, 2009 3:39 PM

yeah so, other people are talking about getting food at Schlotzsky's in Austin what does that have to do with San Antonio airport updates?

Trae Feb 9, 2009 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyLine (Post 4076604)
yeah so, other people are talking about getting food at Schlotzsky's in Austin what does that have to do with San Antonio airport updates?

Not close to what you said. It's over with.

PartyLine Feb 10, 2009 4:06 AM

I wasn't talking about what you said I was talking about what someone else said about eating in the Austin airport.

oldmanshirt Feb 10, 2009 5:59 AM

Forget about it, PL. Just stick to the topic of the thread and you'll be fine. If you want to talk about Austin, there's plenty of threads for that too.

Has anybody checked out the terminal 2 construction lately? Its been about five weeks since I was there and it was already above ground level...