SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

SDCAL Apr 8, 2017 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7766204)
Unfortunately I don't think Manchester Pacific Gateway will sufficiently fill the skyline gap as viewed from Harbor or Shelter Island because the tall towers are on the North End of the project. I have recently walked on both Shelter/Harbor Islands and there will still be a sizeable gap because the buildings on the South end of Manchester Project are stubby.

I think 7th and Market might fill the gap from Shelter Island but it will be blocked from view on Harbor Island. In fact from Shelter 15th St. Pinnacle tower is actually filling in the gap a bit because it is so tall. Someone should go to the Bali Hai and take a zoomed in shot of the skyline from that vantage point you are truly looking straight on at the CBD from the bay not angled of kilter at all.

Speaking of 7th/12th Market PLEASE break ground soon before some crazy economic/war uncertainty happens and delays them. Stop lagging City of SD and get those damn projects started :yes:

I'm nervous about 7th/Market too. Any updates on when it might break ground? It's really depressing seeing the site across the street that was supposed to be another hotel turned into another surface lot.

As long as we have the 500' limit, we'll have the plateau effect. Meanwhile, in SF salesforce, the tallest building, (overtaking transamerica tower) topped out at 1070 ft (more than twice as high as our OAP :( ). The views from it are pretty incredible though: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/0...citys-tallest/

Maybe someone on here who is a real estate agent can confirm my theory, but it seems like downtown condo buyers in San Diego are becoming more "height conscious". I live in a 7 floor condo building and not one, not two, but three people in my building have told me they are selling because they want to move into a taller building on a high level floor. For a long time many people buying downtown seemed content with these mid-rise developments, but lately it seems like more demand for the true high rises. Anyone else sense this?

SDfan Apr 8, 2017 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7766424)
Maybe someone on here who is a real estate agent can confirm my theory, but it seems like downtown condo buyers in San Diego are becoming more "height conscious". I live in a 7 floor condo building and not one, not two, but three people in my building have told me they are selling because they want to move into a taller building on a high level floor. For a long time many people buying downtown seemed content with these mid-rise developments, but lately it seems like more demand for the true high rises. Anyone else sense this?

I don't know about recent trends, but I do remember a long form article in the Reader about the SD skyline which had an interview with Nat Bosa himself. He was frustrated by the height limit, but was resigned to it nonetheless. Miami, Las Vegas and Boston have all had the political leadership to challenge the FAA on their height limits, but our leadership seems content on the issue. Midrise developments seem poised to continue, unless there really is a market swing upwards.

SDfan Apr 8, 2017 4:45 AM

New Mission Valley development near Fashion Valley. I've been waiting for this proposal for years when I read about the initial land purchase.

http://landcapip.com/portfolio/first-road-project/

Kenchiku desu Apr 8, 2017 4:18 PM

It's a thoughtful, good-looking design for a very tough site to work with. Those units will be nice and the buildings will represent a big step up for Mission Valley.

My only criticism is the developer presentation with the one slide that shows a terrace with the Mt. Sutro TV tower in the background -- must be a 500-mile-visibility day!

SDFC Apr 10, 2017 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7766422)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2846/3...60087ca0_k.jpg20170406_1422061 by kevinbeatty, on Flickr
while out on the boat yesterday I shot this photo near harbor island. how I imagine pacific gateway will fill in the skyline

Thanks for the visual! From that vantage point it looks like the Marina Gap could be filled in nicely. :cheers:

Like others have said I almost cant believe this is actually moving forward. I have been (not so) patiently waiting since I moved DT in 2008!

eburress Apr 10, 2017 5:31 PM

The plateau is almost complete... wuhahaha (evil laugh)

SDfan Apr 10, 2017 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7768302)
The plateau is almost complete... wuhahaha (evil laugh)

:haha::haha::haha:

mello Apr 11, 2017 10:16 PM

I called J Street Hospitality the developer of Canopy Hilton Hotel that is just putting in a parking lot they said they can not comment on anything right now and will probably let Roger Showley at the UT know when they have anything to report. I don't get it Hotels in SD are on Fire right now I can't believe they aren't moving forward.

Just spoke with a source at CCDC in the planning Dept: 12th Market is a go for construction starting this summer.

7th Market: Tied up in some sort of litigation I guess with those same damn unions that killed the Chula Vista Bayfront Gaylord project. Don't the judges see through this damn crap by now and understand these F**ks are holding back the economy and job creation!!! He said they have brought some CEQA suit blah blah and he can't comment on anything right now.

He hope the litigation is processed quickly and the tower can break ground end of this year early next. Stay tuned.

superfishy Apr 12, 2017 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7769943)

Just spoke with a source at CCDC in the planning Dept: 12th Market is a go for construction starting this summer.

Anyone have any renderings of 12th and Market?

Lipani Apr 12, 2017 4:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfishy (Post 7770283)
Anyone have any renderings of 12th and Market?

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/news_upload...ation-hub2.jpg

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/news_uploads/education-hub.jpg
UC San Diego News Center

There are also a few more here. It's supposed to be completed at some point in 2020.

SDfan Apr 12, 2017 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7769943)
I called J Street Hospitality the developer of Canopy Hilton Hotel that is just putting in a parking lot they said they can not comment on anything right now and will probably let Roger Showley at the UT know when they have anything to report. I don't get it Hotels in SD are on Fire right now I can't believe they aren't moving forward.

Just spoke with a source at CCDC in the planning Dept: 12th Market is a go for construction starting this summer.

7th Market: Tied up in some sort of litigation I guess with those same damn unions that killed the Chula Vista Bayfront Gaylord project. Don't the judges see through this damn crap by now and understand these F**ks are holding back the economy and job creation!!! He said they have brought some CEQA suit blah blah and he can't comment on anything right now.

He hope the litigation is processed quickly and the tower can break ground end of this year early next. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the updates! I'm worried about 7th and Market. I've been reading a lot of reports about real estate contraction, and have noticed a trickle of projects coming through Civic as of late. Hopefully this is all related to election jitters and not a larger trend.

Streamliner Apr 12, 2017 3:26 PM

Thanks mello for the update, and Lipani for finding those renderings!

The 12th and Market project is the one that will take over the temporary Quartyard project. A lot of people are mad about that, but I'm happy to see a tower (though it's not the most attractive), and the UC San Diego extension replace it. Hopefully the Quartyard people find another site to and do something similar.

spoonman Apr 12, 2017 5:57 PM

Love the architecture of 12th & Market. Very International-Style/Mid-Century

S.DviaPhilly Apr 12, 2017 7:07 PM

Quartyard 2.0
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7770684)
Thanks mello for the update, and Lipani for finding those renderings!

The 12th and Market project is the one that will take over the temporary Quartyard project. A lot of people are mad about that, but I'm happy to see a tower (though it's not the most attractive), and the UC San Diego extension replace it. Hopefully the Quartyard people find another site to and do something similar.

I heard a rumor that Quartyard is relocating to the empty lot next to Alpha Square on the southeast corner of 13th and Market and will include that house right there as well...fingers crossed!

Northparkwizard Apr 12, 2017 8:11 PM

499 West Ash complete drawings.

http://imgur.com/a/T3LsF

mello Apr 12, 2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7771188)

Is this the Little Italy Tower that's underconstruction next to that best western or is this another project? There are so many hard to keep track. If this is a new one when is it set to break ground? :cheers:

superfishy Apr 12, 2017 10:41 PM

Wow, I was expecting 12th and Market to be another one of those 7-story lowrises. It completely flew under my radar.

It might just be me, but it seems like development in the city has really taken off. Almost too many projects to keep track of. I think another full list of all projects with their renderings and status is in order. Any volunteers?

Boatguy619 Apr 13, 2017 1:13 AM

What happened to the development map on SD urbdezine? Anything similar, and updated around?

Lipani Apr 13, 2017 2:01 AM

A few construction shots of projects near the Embarcadero today:

Pacific Gate:

What a gem this one is turning out to be!

http://i64.tinypic.com/powec.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ynhr3r.jpg

Intercon:

Slowly rising...

http://i67.tinypic.com/2qjyjcg.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/nejj8p.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/t6ayqt.jpg

Navy Broadway Complex demolition:

Seeing this monstrosity get destroyed is going to be one of the best things, ever.

http://i68.tinypic.com/125mhz9.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rcwtbl.jpg

And Savina:

It won't be as pretty as Pacific Gate, but a welcome addition nonetheless

http://i68.tinypic.com/rjdtex.jpg

BrandonJXN Apr 13, 2017 11:27 AM

Can we have a rundown of what's under construction and proposed in SD?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.