SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Feb 18, 2016 3:22 AM

Is that the height limit for the area?

The Flying Dutchman Feb 18, 2016 5:07 PM

AFAIK downtown is around 400'. The zoning might be different though.

SDfan Feb 18, 2016 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7339680)
Is that the height limit for the area?

The closer you get to the airport the lower the limit.

And -to clarify- the max height limit downtown is 500' above sea level (So 480-490' depending on above sea level height).

spoonman Feb 18, 2016 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7339554)

This project has been on the books for some time. The motel currently on this site has closed down permanently, which is a great sign that this will move forward relatively soon. :tup:

Streamliner Feb 19, 2016 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7339680)
Is that the height limit for the area?

I recall this project being within a design zone area due to its proximity to the County Administration Center. It is meant to reflect some of the design elements of the CAC, such as cornice height, vertical elements, setbacks, etc. I imagine there is a height requirement there too so the buildings behind the CAC don't overwhelm it. But the airport is very close there as well so there's probably also a practical height limit for the area.

dtell04 Feb 19, 2016 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7338851)
If I remember correctly Park and C ran into something during excavation that required an archaeological study.

They did, but that has been removed. I live across the street, sometimes they go weeks at a time without moving any dirt. They seem to have completed excavation. There hasn't been anyone around in a week though.

Bertrice Feb 20, 2016 7:17 PM

the former blue sky now called the rey

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbdTonOUsAA3QEy.jpg

SanDiego Feb 22, 2016 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7340534)
The closer you get to the airport the lower the limit.

And -to clarify- the max height limit downtown is 500' above sea level (So 480-490' depending on above sea level height).

The height limit only applies to a 1.5 mile radius of the runway, IIRC. It just happens that the majority of DTSD falls in that scope.

spoonman Feb 22, 2016 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiego (Post 7344378)
The height limit only applies to a 1.5 mile radius of the runway, IIRC. It just happens that the majority of DTSD falls in that scope.

Right. The only area that would fall outside of that range would be in Barrio Logan by the bridge. Problem is that I believe there is a height limit of around 60ft in that area (or it was proposed under the Barrio community plan that was struck down). If a stadium went in that area, I would think that there would be a push to scrap a height limit. Pretty sure the stadium will never happen DT though and that is a contentious issue on this board.

SanDiego Feb 22, 2016 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7344523)
Right. The only area that would fall outside of that range would be in Barrio Logan by the bridge. Problem is that I believe there is a height limit of around 60ft in that area (or it was proposed under the Barrio community plan that was struck down). If a stadium went in that area, I would think that there would be a push to scrap a height limit. Pretty sure the stadium will never happen DT though and that is a contentious issue on this board.

Where is Pinnacle on the Park considered to be located? Not too far from Barrio, right? I wonder if that building could have surpassed 500 considering its distance from the height zone.

IconRPCV Feb 23, 2016 2:03 AM

I miss SD's foggy grey, skies!
 
[QUOTE=Bertrice;7342884]the former blue sky now called the rey

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbdTonOUsAA3QEy.jpg[/QUO

embora Feb 23, 2016 2:30 AM

An article from the UT about a hotel boom in downtown:

Quote:


San Diego in midst of hotel building boom

By Lori Weisberg | 9 a.m. Feb. 20, 2016


http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...building-boom/


It was only six years ago that financial turmoil was roiling the county’s now thriving hotel industry. The iconic Hotel del Coronado was on the verge of defaulting on more than a half billion dollars in debt. San Diego’s then hippest hotel, the W, was in foreclosure. And a luxury downtown property that two years earlier boasted $600-a-night rooms was in bankruptcy.

What followed was a years-long drought of new hotel rooms that is a drought no longer.

Less than two months into the new year, a powerful resurgence in hotel values and revenues is fueling an El Niño-like deluge of development at a level not seen in at least eight years.

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img...15c2d8bc4ecd52
The SpringHill Suites and Marriott Residence Inn, nearing completion near the downtown waterfront, will add 400 new rooms. It’s one of dozens of hotel projects on tap for San Diego County. — Nelvin C. Cepeda

http://cdn.sandiegouniontrib.com/img...8561935b88c24b
The 317-room Pendry Hotel, currently under construction in the Gaslamp Quarter, will open later this year. Once complete, it will rise 12 stories and include a beer hall showcasing local micro breweries. — Nelvin C. Cepeda



Streamliner Feb 23, 2016 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7340534)
The closer you get to the airport the lower the limit.

And -to clarify- the max height limit downtown is 500' above sea level (So 480-490' depending on above sea level height).

Aren't One America Plaza and Symphony Towers exactly 500 feet? How does that fit in with this limit? Was it enacted in the mid-90s?

SDfan Feb 23, 2016 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7345591)
Aren't One America Plaza and Symphony Towers exactly 500 feet? How does that fit in with this limit? Was it enacted in the mid-90s?

Correct, they made the change sometime after 1990. It was 500' max previously.

The Flying Dutchman Feb 23, 2016 11:16 PM

Remember this one? It's Lucia Nel Cielo. Apparently it's a skyscraper built out of pre-fab stackable units.

http://www.pre-form.com/flagship/

http://www.avrpstudios.com/wp-conten...s/Lucia-07.jpg

The news here is that it's going to CivicSD for approval on March 9, 2016.

http://civicsd.com/images/stories/do..._-_2.23.16.pdf

The Flying Dutchman Feb 23, 2016 11:19 PM

Public workshop for the MTS busyard:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...EFjR3l3QnBhRUE

The Flying Dutchman Feb 23, 2016 11:54 PM

Chargers reject Mission Valley stadium, aim to develop a 'convadium' DT.

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics/...ntown-stadium/

SDCAL Feb 24, 2016 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7346320)
Chargers reject Mission Valley stadium, aim to develop a 'convadium' DT.

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics/...ntown-stadium/

According to the response from the city, this would be significantly more expensive than mission valley and would need a ballot measure requiring a two-thirds majority. San Diego is one of the most anti-tax large cities in the country, I don't see two-thirds of voters approving public money for a massive sports project when basic infrastructure is lacking

The Flying Dutchman Feb 24, 2016 5:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7346633)
According to the response from the city, this would be significantly more expensive than mission valley and would need a ballot measure requiring a two-thirds majority. San Diego is one of the most anti-tax large cities in the country, I don't see two-thirds of voters approving public money for a massive sports project when basic infrastructure is lacking

Rumor is that the Chargers will argue that their portion is unfunded by taxpayers. As for the rest, well, that will likely come from the hoteliers, or Briggs and co... this is pretty damn smooth if you ask me.

SDCAL Feb 24, 2016 6:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7346673)
Rumor is that the Chargers will argue that their portion is unfunded by taxpayers. As for the rest, well, that will likely come from the hoteliers, or Briggs and co... this is pretty damn smooth if you ask me.

Their portion? If any taxes are to be used for any part of the project, it needs a two-thirds majority vote. I read the link you posted as well as the articles in KPBS and the Union Tribune and they all talk about a ballot initiative. It sounds like this will be in addition to the Briggs initiative. There is also supposed to be a ballot initiative from the city in June for the contiguous convention center. What if some of these things pass and contradict each other? Looks like a giant cluster f--- on the horizon. My feeling is that Spanos decided he wants all or nothing here or else he's bolting to Inglewood so he's taking a huge gamble to get exactly what he wants even if it's a long-shot. Go big or go to LA. If this loses in November he still has LA as an option at that point. By the way, union tribune puts a "convention-stadium" project at $1.7 billion, and the city/county $300 million is off the table if they don't go with mission valley. Where is all this going to come from!?!?

Also, Comic-Con released a statement reiterating they want a contiguous convention space. It would be a sad day for downtown SD if the Chargers move in and drive out comic-con.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.