SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

staplesla Apr 21, 2009 2:55 AM

Pedestrian Bridge Taking Shape
 
SAN DIEGO – The skyline over downtown San Diego's Harbor Drive is forever changed after crews on Monday swung in the last piece of the span for a $26.8 million public pedestrian bridge.

“The tricky part was they had two and a half hours last night to do that,” said Scott Johnson, senior project manager at the city's downtown redevelopment agency.

Workers shut down the overhead power to the San Diego Trolley line in order to span the final gap, which was over the tracks. The job could only be done between midnight and 3 a.m.

The span is now made up of steel beams and wood. Crews will use those as a base to pour the concrete that will eventually support the bridge, which is expected to be completed in January.

The 500-foot bridge, designed by San Diego architects Safdie Rabines, will be one of the longest self-anchored pedestrian suspension spans in the world. Focused around a stylized 130-foot center pylon, the look will be reminiscent of a sail.

It is being paid for with $11.1 million from the city's redevelopment agency, a $6 million California Transportation Commission grant, $2.8 million from the Federal Highway Administration, $2 million from the state Transportation Improvement Program and $4.9 million from developer John Moores.

The bridge is a byproduct of the Petco Park project, which closed the public walkway across Harbor at Park Boulevard. In order to reopen it, the city had to build an overhead span for pedestrians.

Costs for the bridge, first pegged at $12.8 million in 2005, skyrocketed over the past few years with materials prices. The city sought out the state transportation grant to fill the gap.

Derek Apr 21, 2009 6:40 AM

Cool! :D

HurricaneHugo Apr 21, 2009 8:36 AM

pics or it didn't happen

OneMetropolis Apr 22, 2009 3:43 AM

:previous: Yeah Pic's would be nice.

keg92101 Apr 23, 2009 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 4202736)
I can't believe I heard a request to send a library RFP through a design build process. This is a library, a Central Library, it should be an architectural ICON. Design Build firms do not produce this type of architecture. They produce, for example, the second phase of the convention center. Enough said.

I want a new Central Library, but it appears small town San Diego has zero interest in it. At this point I would recommend that the $80 million CCDC is holding for this project be used for a branch library in Downtown. The lack of leadership and vision by our elected officials in making something more of our pot hole filled City is sad.

Doesn't Mayor Daley have a son going to college in San Diego?? If so, please stay here and run for mayor :) (hoping and dreaming, I guess)

Wrong. Design-Build gives whatever the RFP asks for. If it asks for an Iconic design, then an iconic design is presented. The difference in procurement is that the contractor bears all risk to meat all requirements, where in a Design-bid-build, whatever the architect forgot, or holes in the docs, are risks borne by the owner (in this case, the city/taxpayers)

You'd be surprised how many projects going up now are done through the design-build procurement method. Just recently, Hotel Indigo (which will finish in under 18 months) was a design-build by Hensel-Phelps.

staplesla Apr 23, 2009 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 4208942)
:previous: Yeah Pic's would be nice.

Click here to view from the CCDC webcams.

Marina_Guy Apr 24, 2009 4:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 4211648)
... Hotel Indigo (which will finish in under 18 months) was a design-build by Hensel-Phelps.

And Truly Iconic as well. Wrong.

The architect and the builder have to have a tight relationship to make this work. Name me some important architects of the current day would work for engineering companies... Design build has its place, but not in world class design.

Design / Build is perfect for San Diego... Low quality architecture / cheap price.

keg92101 Apr 24, 2009 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 4213167)
And Truly Iconic as well. Wrong.

The architect and the builder have to have a tight relationship to make this work. Name me some important architects of the current day would work for engineering companies... Design build has its place, but not in world class design.

Design / Build is perfect for San Diego... Low quality architecture / cheap price.

And the design of the "new" library is ICONIC? Right....

sandiegodweller Apr 26, 2009 4:13 AM

End of April 2009 and still no market in TR Produce Bldg (18 months).

spoonman Apr 27, 2009 4:11 AM

Is it just me or does anyone think the Harbor Drive pedestrian bridge is a huge waste of money? Seems to me that the Hilton should have subsidized that project since it's mostly for their benefit. Also, that bridge is so expensive that the city could have begun undergrounding the train tracks for a comparable sum...

Marina_Guy Apr 27, 2009 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 4216576)
End of April 2009 and still no market in TR Produce Bldg (18 months).

End of April 2009 and very little new retail in any new condo tower downtown. To me this is the biggest failure of redevelopment in downtown SD. I travel a bit and always go check out the areas of downtowns/uptowns with new housing. The one thing that sticks out is the retail. Other cities seem to do much better filling this space than San Diego. Any theories? Obviously rents. But maybe the broker community here in SD does not know how to attract the tenants? It is sad to see the Pinnacle dead, Atria Dead, and the Mark DEAD, etc.

What gives?

staplesla Apr 27, 2009 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 4218078)
Is it just me or does anyone think the Harbor Drive pedestrian bridge is a huge waste of money? Seems to me that the Hilton should have subsidized that project since it's mostly for their benefit. Also, that bridge is so expensive that the city could have begun undergrounding the train tracks for a comparable sum...

The tunneling of the train tracks is included in the budget for the HSR.

keg92101 Apr 27, 2009 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 4218492)
End of April 2009 and very little new retail in any new condo tower downtown. To me this is the biggest failure of redevelopment in downtown SD. I travel a bit and always go check out the areas of downtowns/uptowns with new housing. The one thing that sticks out is the retail. Other cities seem to do much better filling this space than San Diego. Any theories? Obviously rents. But maybe the broker community here in SD does not know how to attract the tenants? It is sad to see the Pinnacle dead, Atria Dead, and the Mark DEAD, etc.

What gives?

It's the rates. Did you know that retail in the Pearl is $20-$40 / SF per anum? The lease rates in downtown are a joke, as you can tell by some of the national chains (Active / SBUX) having already closed their doors.

kpexpress Apr 27, 2009 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 4219187)
It's the rates. Did you know that retail in the Pearl is $20-$40 / SF per anum? The lease rates in downtown are a joke, as you can tell by some of the national chains (Active / SBUX) having already closed their doors.

This is one of the downsides to full block or half block big developments. I bet these developers marketed the benefits of having "retail" below the condos to prospective buyers and people bought these units thinking that there will be bustling retail below them just an elevator ride away too. Sad. I did notice that they dropped the rates at the base of Icon, it was like overnight that all the units along 11th ave facing the dead library filled up with small offices and live/work loft tenants. That's a step in the right directions IMO.

Marina_Guy Apr 28, 2009 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 4219187)
It's the rates. Did you know that retail in the Pearl is $20-$40 / SF per anum? The lease rates in downtown are a joke, as you can tell by some of the national chains (Active / SBUX) having already closed their doors.

What I don't understand is how an owner can sit on vacant space for more than 3 years and not 'consider' dropping prices. Obviously this recession is impacting new business growth. BTW Active, I believe, went bankrupt. SBUX we all know about their downsizing nationwide. I had heard that the Pinnacle owners were not happy with the broker's they used. Given the past experience maybe new development should be incentivized to fill these spaces so we don't have the same situation we have now.

Viva-city Apr 28, 2009 3:12 PM

It's a write off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 4220519)
What I don't understand is how an owner can sit on vacant space for more than 3 years and not 'consider' dropping prices. Obviously this recession is impacting new business growth. BTW Active, I believe, went bankrupt. SBUX we all know about their downsizing nationwide. I had heard that the Pinnacle owners were not happy with the broker's they used. Given the past experience maybe new development should be incentivized to fill these spaces so we don't have the same situation we have now.

The owners of ground-floor retail gain more from the write-off of the unleased space than by lowering the rents. Call me.

keg92101 Apr 28, 2009 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viva-city (Post 4220710)
The owners of ground-floor retail gain more from the write-off of the unleased space than by lowering the rents. Call me.

Just a thought, but aren't projects required to provide "ground floor retail" not ground floor empty space? I'm sure the city could start getting nasty about the spaces not being filled and the project applicant not in compliance with the community plan.

PadreHomer Apr 29, 2009 1:51 AM

They did just open Ace Hardware on 6th I believe

kpexpress Apr 29, 2009 3:02 AM

^^^^ The Ace on 6th Ave is very nice. A great new addition to downtown. I like the combo of Oliver/McMillan and Public Architects, they produce some nice shit. I hear they are planning a big development on Park and G. Max's Deli's lease is up in the next two years and OM I'm sure will buy it up since they already own the lot next to it on the corner. East Villagites should expect some funky shit going up on that corner.

kpexpress Apr 29, 2009 3:26 AM

:notacrook: CONSTRUCTION UPDATE PICTURES :notacrook:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05080.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05081.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05083.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05084.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05085.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05090.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05091.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05093.jpghttp://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05094.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05100.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC05102.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.