SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   2010 Vancouver Olympic & Paralympic Super-Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139350)

SpongeG Feb 26, 2010 4:05 AM

the province has announced that Robson Square and the Zip Line will stay open for the Paralympics!

whatnext Feb 26, 2010 7:18 AM

Despite the games being nearly over, Global is reporting the Olympic Logo Nazis are still at it. Pursuing the owner of Heaterz (older article here):
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...033/story.html
How does that logo infringe on their territory? You mean folks can't use a flame any longer, because of the torch? :koko:

SpongeG Feb 26, 2010 7:23 AM

looks like the Royal Canadian Mint Pavillion will stay open for the Paralympics too

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 4719366)
Despite the games being nearly over, Global is reporting the Olympic Logo Nazis are still at it. Pursuing the owner of Heaterz (older article here):
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...033/story.html
How does that logo infringe on their territory? You mean folks can't use a flame any longer, because of the torch? :koko:

It is ridiculous, but it is hardly a recent thing. Pretty old news.

SpongeG Feb 26, 2010 7:30 AM

i'm waiting for the fake shaun white story on CTV
lol

do people not pay attention? i was downtown on saturday and people were saying oh maybe its shaun white! expected to show up at some event

he was on oprah in chicago on friday and was on his way to new york after that

he had left town on thursday night

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 7:30 AM

The scary thing is the Shaun White lookalike is a 43 year old WOMAN. Nightmares ensue!

Locked In Feb 26, 2010 7:36 AM

^ Crazy resemblance:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...n?size=620x400

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...n?size=620x400

Source: Vancouver Sun

-------------

Some protest news :D

Quote:

Flash mob targets cruise ships in Vancouver

Pirates For Justice will protest working conditions on vessels

Miné Salkin
Vancouver, BC — Globe and Mail update Published on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2010 4:42PM EST

A flash mob of self-proclaimed pirates have posted a video on YouTube announcing a protest to be held at "high noon" Saturday to protest against what they consider the substandard work conditions of foreign cruise ship employees working in Vancouver for the duration of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games.

Pirates For Justice, complete with eye patches and peg legs, say their protest will be a family-friendly “stand against the pillagin' and plunderin' of the poor.”

Three cruise ships are being provided by Carnival Cruise Lines at the cost of $76-million as part of the Olympic budget to house security personnel during the Games, according to protest organizers. Last week, a crew member aboard one of the ships housing the 2010 Integrated Security Unit was diagnosed with leprosy. Vancouver Coastal Health authorities did not release the victim's name, but claimed the disease had not spread to other members on the ship and that the infection had been treated immediately.

Founder of PFJ, Craig “Blackbeard” Greenfield told the Globe and Mail that the worst-treated and lowest-paid cruise ship employees are not allowed to go up to the passenger decks. “On the cruise ship there's a lot of luxury and opulence, but when you do the research and you find out what's happening below the decks it's shocking. It's a real juxtaposition of lifestyles,” he said.

Mr. Greenfield said that while many Vancouverites are concerned for sweatshops in third-world countries, exploitation is occurring “right in our own backyard.”

Mr. Greenfield is hoping for a large crowd to dress up as pirates and join the flash mob on Saturday, at a location yet to be divulged.

Carnival Cruise Lines spokesperson Jennifer de la Cruz said by e-mail that the company employs 35,000 people, many of whom have stayed with Carnival for as long as 30 years. “We have more than 100 different nationalities represented among our crew who have gravitated to cruise ship jobs because in most instances they represent superior earnings opportunities versus what they can make in their home countries,” the e-mail reads.

According to reports from the International Transport Workers' Federation (ITF), a survey of 400 cruise ship employees found that more than 95 per cent of those worked seven days a week, with the majority working between 12 to 14 hours per day. Overtime is not paid on many vessels, as no union agreements exist, even with Carnival Cruise Lines, the world's largest cruise line.

Ms. de la Cruz stated that Carnival employees do not pay for room and board, receive free medical and dental care, and are provided a retirement plan in addition to their earnings.

In reaction to the news that a protest in Vancouver would occur, Ms. de la Cruz's wrote it was “nothing more than a stunt.”

“Perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that someone out there would try to take advantage of the Vancouver stage right now to draw attention even when the cause is not legitimate,” she wrote.

Source: Globe and Mail

touraccuracy Feb 26, 2010 7:42 AM

just a little encounter i had on the gondola

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3693292_n.jpg

my that looks a lot like shaun white...

and yes that's a flask.

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 7:46 AM

Now, who do you think is more flattered. A 40 year old woman who looks like Shaun White, or a 23 year old guy who looks like a 40 year old woman?

SpongeG Feb 26, 2010 7:46 AM

anyone watching Colbert tonight?

saskatchawinners!

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 8:20 AM

Oh, boy :P The IOC is investigating the Canadian Women's behavior after the game. Not sure what they could do.

Remember, kids, the IOC is that guy who will squeal on you and do no wrong himself!

http://www.foxnews.com/static/manage...ay_604x341.jpg

Quote:

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The women of the Canadian hockey team politely accepted their gold medals and waved to an adoring crowd. And then the real celebration began.

More than half an hour after they beat the United States 2-0 on Thursday, the players came back from the locker room and staged a party on ice -- swigging from bottles of champagne, guzzling beer and smoking cigars.

In a sport that Canada invented, there was never an option besides gold, and with it finally in hand, the home team let loose.

Meghan Agosta and Marie-Philip Poulin posed wearing goofy grins. Rebecca Johnston actually tried to drive the ice-resurfacing machine. Haley Irwin poured champagne into the mouth of Tessa Bonhomme, gold medals swinging from both their necks.

The celebration raised eyebrows at the IOC, which said it would look into the matter. Informed of the antics by The Associated Press, Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said it was "not what we want to see."

"I don't think it's a good promotion of sport values," he said. "If they celebrate in the changing room, that's one thing, but not in public. We will investigate what happened."

Poulin, who scored both goals, doesn't turn 19 -- legal drinking age in British Columbia -- until next month. The drinking age in Alberta, where the Canadian team trains, is 18. Photos showed Poulin on the ice with a beer in her hand.

"We understand that they were asked to go back onto the playing field after the stadium had emptied to take a photo," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "We understand that some people may have felt that their behavior was over-exuberant."

Steve Keough, a spokesman for the Canadian Olympic Committee, said the COC had not provided the alcohol nor initiated the party.

"In terms of the actual celebration, it's not exactly something uncommon in Canada," he said.

While the committee does not condone irresponsibility, Keough said, "I think Canadians understand it's quite an emotional moment for our team. It was not our intention to go against any IOC protocols."

Not even uncommon at these Olympics. After Jon Montgomery won a gold medal for Canada in skeleton, he walked through the streets of Whistler guzzling from a pitcher of beer that he gripped with two hands.

American Scotty Lago, who won a bronze in halfpipe, voluntarily left the games after a photo surfaced of a woman kneeling below his waist to kiss the medal.

jsbertram Feb 26, 2010 9:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4719432)
Oh, boy :P The IOC is investigating the Canadian Women's behavior after the game. Not sure what they could do.

Remember, kids, the IOC is that guy who will squeal on you and do no wrong himself!

http://www.foxnews.com/static/manage...ay_604x341.jpg

Shocking!

Scandalous!

Pretty soon they'll be wearing pants, wanting to vote, and be driving their own cars!

It's the 3rd Millenium folks, Let them party.

canucks23 Feb 26, 2010 9:48 AM

Hahaha:haha: I can't believe this is even a story. Someone made a comment about the "medals hanging from their necks", in the article. So where else would you like them to be wearing them? lol

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 9:58 AM

Well, when the Canadian men lose because of a bad bounce created by a champagne spill, we'll know who to blame ;)

BTW, we joked about it, but they really will be auctioning off the podiums after the Olympics. I need to be an Olympic Champion :D!

SpongeG Feb 26, 2010 10:37 AM

they made that US snow boarder leave the city after "risque" pictures showed up on TMZ

the IOC is strict and trying to protect its elite image

WarrenC12 Feb 26, 2010 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4719491)
they made that US snow boarder leave the city after "risque" pictures showed up on TMZ

Too bad the whole world can see through it. :rolleyes:

Edit: I almost forgot, there are pictures online of a certain Danish curler (from the women's team!) topless. :)

Zassk Feb 26, 2010 5:08 PM

Emergency shipment of condoms headed to Olympic athletes

Quote:

...That's right. As you read this, an emergency shipment of condoms is desperately making its way across Canada to the West Coast city.

Health officials in Vancouver have already provided 100,000 free condoms to the roughly 7,000 ahtletes and officials at the Games. That's about 14 condoms per person. But as of Wednesday, those supplies started running dangerously low.

So naturally, the Canadian Foundation for AIDS research decided to step and make sure there were no hitches in Olympic action.

"When we heard about the condom shortage in Vancouver, we felt it important to respond immediately," said Kerry Whiteside, CANFAR's Executive Director. The organization assembled three large boxes of about 8,500 condoms, much to the relief of libidos at the Olympic Village. They're expected to arrive on Thursday.

Free condoms first started to be distributed at the Olympics in Barcelona at the 1992 Games. This appears to be the first time that a shortage has struck the Games.

Ayreonaut Feb 26, 2010 5:59 PM

Quote:

Actually it was his own decision to leave.

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 4719883)
Actually it was his own decision to leave.

Yeah, but, as they said, he would have been asked to leave had he not.

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 7:07 PM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/...94695001_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/4390535844/

From Sweden vs. Slovakia game. Does the guy in the middle look familiar? I think I've seen him somewhere around Vancouver doing... something :P?

Probably something related to the flag lol

SpongeG Feb 26, 2010 8:59 PM

no idea who he is - who is he?

nova9 Feb 26, 2010 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4719929)
Yeah, but, as they said, he would have been asked to leave had he not.

We should clarify with the snowboarder, it is the USOC not the IOC involved. Not that I am defending them but since the USOC and IOC are not really seeing eye to eye, I feel it is worth pointing out.

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 10:57 PM

There is an open "casting call" for anyone in the general public to show up at 2AM tonight, at the Olympic Cauldron to film a new "I Believe" music video.

GeeCee Feb 26, 2010 11:19 PM

Hopefully the guy with the Investigate 9/11 sign doesn't show up..

Yume-sama Feb 26, 2010 11:22 PM

:P The set will probably be more "closed" than it will look.

It will be the only chance people get to actually get CLOSE to the cauldron while it is lit.

jsbertram Feb 27, 2010 1:37 AM

Quote:

Now come the "Lisa Simpson BJ" London 2012 logo hasn't been an issue?

Oh, right! Men have no objections to BJ.

jsbertram Feb 27, 2010 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarrenC12 (Post 4719614)
Too bad the whole world can see through it. :rolleyes:

Edit: I almost forgot, there are pictures online of a certain Danish curler (from the women's team!) topless. :)

Isn't Playboy up here shooting a "Women of Curling" pictorial for the next issue?

CoryHolmes Feb 27, 2010 2:27 AM

Silver in curling :( Cheryl Bernard had two chances to take the gold, once in the 10th and last shot in the 11th and missed both times.

whatnext Feb 27, 2010 3:57 AM

Liquor store lockdown again tonight.

twoNeurons Feb 27, 2010 6:09 AM

For anyone who wants an interesting perspective, Japan ( and I would think other Asian nations) counts medals a little differently:

Medal Count

I wonder how much culture plays a part in this? Do other nations tally up medals this way?

( Sidepoint... only one team brings home the Stanley Cup )

Thoughts? Opinions?

deasine Feb 27, 2010 6:12 AM

They do it by gold, then by the number of medals. Just a different way of counting.

Yume-sama Feb 27, 2010 6:15 AM

A lot of Countries do count by Gold, Japan, Korea, and China included. It is kind of the most important.

Spork Feb 27, 2010 6:17 AM

I am surprised that we don't switch to a more balanced approach of 3pts for gold 2pts for silver and 1pt for bronze. That would make the top leaders:

usa: 63pts
germany: 56pts
canada: 48pts
norway: 42pts
austria: 28pts

Yume-sama Feb 27, 2010 6:23 AM

:P Give 0.5 points for 4th and I'm sure we'll take it.

mr.x Feb 27, 2010 6:28 AM

^ for many nations, it's the gold/winning medal that counts. I believe Canada and the United States are a few of the very rare number of countries that count by medal totals, they include silver and bronze counts so that the silver and bronze achievements are also acknowledged.

During Beijing 2008, the BOCOG website Beijing2008.org had a medal count according to the number of golds won while the CBC Olympics website counted totals.

SpongeG Feb 27, 2010 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 4720474)
There is an open "casting call" for anyone in the general public to show up at 2AM tonight, at the Olympic Cauldron to film a new "I Believe" music video.

oh thats what it is - i googled and couldn;t find any info i was passing a tv at best buy and i only caught be at teh cauldron at 2 am and thats all i heard

SpongeG Feb 27, 2010 6:44 AM

i think its only north america who does it by total count

the rest of the world does it by golds - my korean friend asked me the other night why they do it wrong in canada - lol

WarrenC12 Feb 27, 2010 6:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 4721115)
i think its only north america who does it by total count

the rest of the world does it by golds - my korean friend asked me the other night why they do it wrong in canada - lol

I agree, gold is the most important. Any non-country specific web site lists by gold. Notice when the medals are given they always say "Gold Medalist and Olympic Champion...." They are the best in the world!

Yume-sama Feb 27, 2010 6:53 AM

Too bad the Women curlers choked. I hope the Men don't.

We need that Gold, AND the Hockey GOLD!

SpongeG Feb 27, 2010 6:55 AM

did they lose?

at least they lost to sweden and not china

it would have sucked to lose to a team that sets up shop in alberta and than wins for another country

GeeCee Feb 27, 2010 7:02 AM

Hmm, counting gold eh? Consider that podium owned.. :D

(I am proud of all of our athletes and I think that Own the Podium has been very successful in general despite the somewhat disappointing result in the overall medal count)

twoNeurons Feb 27, 2010 7:11 AM

Been doing a bit more research on this. Apparently the IOC ranks gold medals first as well.

In reality, the best should be recognized as well as the top handful but where do you make the cut off. In some events the next 4 competitors are in the same league as the gild medal winner and sometimes only the silver medallist comes close. Think about how many times the 4th place competitor is microseconds away from third yet they get nothing.

How about top ten finishes?

If you saw asada mao's face after her silver medal win you'd think she didn't get a medal. She was disappointed with her performance. To her, silver was a loss.

SpongeG Feb 27, 2010 7:24 AM

she just saw millions $$$ go bye bye

female figure skating gold medalists are set for life

Yume-sama Feb 27, 2010 7:30 AM

Especially in Japan and Korea. Kim Yu-Na is a rockstar.

Nouvellecosse Feb 27, 2010 9:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 4721141)
Been doing a bit more research on this. Apparently the IOC ranks gold medals first as well.

In reality, the best should be recognized as well as the top handful but where do you make the cut off. In some events the next 4 competitors are in the same league as the gild medal winner and sometimes only the silver medallist comes close. Think about how many times the 4th place competitor is microseconds away from third yet they get nothing.

If you come in first place in a contest or competition, you've won; if you come in second, you've lost. This is why counting only gold makes sense. If you're going to count the consolation prizes given to the losers, where to draw that line? Why should a 2nd place loser whose result that was 1% away from winning and far ahead of other losers gain the same recognition as a 2nd place loser whose result is 50% away from winning and a small margin ahead of other losers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 4721141)
How about top ten finishes?

If you saw asada mao's face after her silver medal win you'd think she didn't get a medal. She was disappointed with her performance. To her, silver was a loss.

Only to her? We can congratulate her on her efforts, but at second place she still didn't win. I know it sounds harsh, but that's how it goes in the world of high-level competition.

jsbertram Feb 27, 2010 9:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse (Post 4721246)
If you come in first place in a contest or competition, you've won; if you come in second, you've lost. This is why counting only gold makes sense. If you're going to count the consolation prizes given to the losers, where to draw that line? Why should a 2nd place loser whose result that was 1% away from winning and far ahead of other losers gain the same recognition as a 2nd place loser whose result is 50% away from winning and a small margin ahead of other losers?

Only to her? We can congratulate her on her efforts, but at second place she still didn't win. I know it sounds harsh, but that's how it goes in the world of high-level competition.

This reminds me of a club in Salt Lake -sponsored by a beer company- that had a policy that gold medalists got the no-lineup VIP treatment and free anything & everything at the club. Silver and Bronze winners had to line up in the cold just like everyone else. Apparently there was a poster inside that said something like "Silver means you're the top of the heap of losers"

cabotp Feb 27, 2010 9:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spork (Post 4721082)
I am surprised that we don't switch to a more balanced approach of 3pts for gold 2pts for silver and 1pt for bronze. That would make the top leaders:

usa: 63pts
germany: 56pts
canada: 48pts
norway: 42pts
austria: 28pts

I had the exact same thought. Right now the US is only so far ahead because they seem to be skilled at coming in second and third :haha:

nova9 Feb 27, 2010 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 4721071)
For anyone who wants an interesting perspective, Japan ( and I would think other Asian nations) counts medals a little differently:

Medal Count

I wonder how much culture plays a part in this? Do other nations tally up medals this way?

( Sidepoint... only one team brings home the Stanley Cup )

Thoughts? Opinions?

Actually, the REST of the world counts medals by gold (good for Canada) and not by overall medal total. Which is why the US was in such a tiff that China led the 2008 medal tables when the US had 10 more overall medals (China had like a dozen more golds).

GeeCee Feb 27, 2010 8:26 PM

The pirate protesters are currently at Canada Place and probably headed down to the cauldron it looks like. They have a megaphone and a flag!

Yume-sama Feb 27, 2010 8:28 PM

The ships should leave without them on March 1st :P