SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Arena District - Winnipeg (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183974)

newflyer Aug 8, 2010 6:57 PM

Arena District - Winnipeg

As this will be begin to come to light over the next little while I figured there should be a thread dedicated to it.

There has been a quite acquiring of property around the MTS Centre over the past year by various interested parties (see: True North, in various legal forms). The next number of years this area will be seeing a significnat level of investment which will transform it into something new and exciting for this once dead zone.

roccerfeller Aug 8, 2010 10:35 PM

Yeah, its going to be important, much more so when the NHL comes back into town (its gonna happen one day...)

I think TNSE has the right idea when it comes to this sort of stuff.

(Ps. newflyer, your link isnt working on your sig)

The Jabroni Aug 9, 2010 2:17 AM

I think it's going to happen anyway, whether the NHL comes back here or not (I think it will). Private investment into downtown is very good from any perspective. :)

Winnipegger@Heart Aug 9, 2010 2:43 PM

I wish Centreventure would make public any plans; even if they are not concrete, get the masses excited about what is planned.

JayM Aug 9, 2010 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart (Post 4940653)
I wish Centreventure would make public any plans; even if they are not concrete, get the masses excited about what is planned.

No doubt. Present something to get some excitement going.

SmileyBoy Aug 10, 2010 5:06 PM

TNSE is starting to gobble up a lot of properties around the MTS Centre, so I suppose it's a big investment/real estate venture to go along with their sports/entertainment venture at the MTSC. The MTSC is also one of the most successful arenas in North America, so that will help regardless of whether or not the NHL comes back.

And BTW, I was allowed to step inside the MTS Centre arena bowl when I was in Winnipeg a week ago. Nobody can tell me that it is not an NHL-calibre arena. It looks top-notch. Like a more intimate version of the Xcel Center in St. Paul.

roccerfeller Aug 10, 2010 6:42 PM

It certainly is. One of the finest arenas I've been in. Luckily, Garry Bettman shares your belief that the arena is NHL caliber.

The question is, will you Americans in North Dakota be interesting in coming up to the Peg to watch some NHL hockey?

SmileyBoy Aug 10, 2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccerfeller (Post 4942315)
It certainly is. One of the finest arenas I've been in. Luckily, Garry Bettman shares your belief that the arena is NHL caliber.

The question is, will you Americans in North Dakota be interesting in coming up to the Peg to watch some NHL hockey?

I live in Minneapolis now, and I'll go to every game I can afford to go to.

Born and bred a Jets fan in Fargo. I will NEVER cheer for the Wild!!

Biff Aug 11, 2010 1:07 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Controversial cadaver exhibition coming to town

Posted: 11/08/2010 1:00 AM

MOVE over, TV's Six Feet Under.

The parent corporation of the MTS Centre is hosting a controversial exhibit featuring real human cadavers --in a building separate from the one the hockey players and rock stars perform in.

True North Sports & Entertainment will hold a news conference Wednesday morning to announce the dates and location for the U.S. touring show Bodies: The Exhibition in a new facility called The MTS Centre Exhibition Hall.

"It's in a separate downtown building altogether," True North spokesman Scott Brown told the Free Press in an e-mail.

A company owned by Winnipeg's Chipman family (principal owners of the MTS Centre) has been working with downtown development agency CentreVenture to convert the former A&B Sound, the Mitchell-Copp Building, the former Wild Planet building and other parcels of land on a block bounded by Portage, Donald, Ellice and Hargrave into a sports and entertainment district.

Brown would provide no further details except to confirm that the exhibition hall was not in the long vacant Metropolitan Theatre on Donald.

Any of the properties being redeveloped could be converted into an exhibition space.

With 12 versions of the show in circulation from Atlanta-based Premier Exhibitions, Bodies has been touring widely for many years in the U.S. and abroad.

It consists of 12 full-body corpses in revealing poses and 250 additional specimens which illustrate a variety of physiological and health conditions.

Its graphic nature has drawn both beefs and bouquets. The Seattle City Council voted in July to ban the show from returning to the city under an ordnance that forbids commercial displays of human remains that don't have proof of consent.

Premier Exhibitions' former head, Arnie Geller, recently filed a lawsuit in Florida against a rival show, claiming that it used the bodies of executed Chinese prisoners.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 11, 2010 D2

Biff Aug 11, 2010 1:08 PM

^^^ on a side note, i can't wait to see this exhibit. I missed it when i was in both Chicago and Minneapolis. Looks very interesting.

DowntownWpg Aug 11, 2010 2:43 PM

:previous:

Caught it in New York, it is well-worth checking out. I'll certainly go again. It is essentially both an art exhibit, and a human biology museum piece.

roccerfeller Aug 11, 2010 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyBoy (Post 4942649)
I live in Minneapolis now, and I'll go to every game I can afford to go to.

Born and bred a Jets fan in Fargo. I will NEVER cheer for the Wild!!

Wow, are there many Jets fans in/from Fargo??

Wpg_Guy Aug 11, 2010 5:44 PM

"Bodies..The Exhibition" To Open New MTS Centre Exhibition Hall

CJOB's Clay Young reporting
8/11/2010

Officials with MTS Centre have announced they have taken out a one year lease on the former A and B Sound location on Portage Avenue and will use it as Exhibition Hall. MTS Centre President and CEO Jim Ludlow tells CJOB the building is a perfect fit.
The first exhibit to be staged at the new hall will be 'Bodies..The Exhibition' which displays real, whole and partial human specimens. It will open to the public September 17th. Senior Vice-President and MTS General Manager Kevin Donnelly says more then 15 million people have viewed the exhibit world wide.

Tickets will go on sale Thursday. Adult tickets are $19.95, Students and seniors $15.95.

(Rendering courtesy of MTS Centre)

SmileyBoy Aug 11, 2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccerfeller (Post 4943498)
Wow, are there many Jets fans in/from Fargo??

Back in the day, F-M was basically split between Jets and North Stars fans. I chose the Jets when I was young.

roccerfeller Aug 12, 2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyBoy (Post 4944237)
Back in the day, F-M was basically split between Jets and North Stars fans. I chose the Jets when I was young.

Thats really cool...NHL's return to the Peg is inevitable now. Still gonna be a Pegger NHL fan? (They might not be the Jets, akin to the Wild)

BTW, I saw them painting that old A&B store today. Its got this black and bage color

Andy6 Aug 12, 2010 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyBoy (Post 4944237)

The North Stars were mostly so awful that there was motivation to look elsewhere. They were the only NHL club that was regularly outdrawn by the WHA team in the same city (the Minnesota Fighting Saints).

roccerfeller Aug 12, 2010 3:17 PM

^ Really? Interesting. I grew up after all this relocation stuff happened, so I really don't remember the North Stars or anything (I would have been learning how to add when they moved)

However, today, the Wild are a consistent sell-out. One of the highest gate revenue NHL teams.