SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Kelowna Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128437)

giallo Dec 22, 2007 4:51 AM

Looks good.
They'll need to have that area full serviced in order for it to work. I can't see people wanting to live by the on ramp to the busiest bridge between Vancouver and Calgary, and everyday having to leave to get basics like groceries etc.

wisla_krakow Dec 22, 2007 6:48 AM

Yeah no kidding. The closest places for groceries would be either Lakeview market, or Safeway downtown.

Surrealplaces Jan 22, 2008 6:00 AM

Nice to see some bigger scale projects going into Kelowna.

wisla_krakow Jan 24, 2008 6:57 AM

The bridge span is about 200ft away from being complete. I'm going to see if I can be the first to cross it. Legally or illegally.

rrskylar Jan 24, 2008 6:33 PM

^ How about some photo's in and about Kelowna?

wisla_krakow Jan 25, 2008 2:41 AM

hah, like that'll ever happen.

But, they are getting the pre-load off the Madison. Hopefully it goes up quickly. And Invue is going up pretty fast itself.

wisla_krakow Jan 26, 2008 6:04 PM

Quote:

RDCO construction record
by Wayne Moore - Story: 36832
Jan 25, 2008 / 12:00 pm

A record $236.7 million worth of construction projects was approved by the Regional District of Central Okanagan in 2007.

That's an increase of 65 percent over the previous record of $143 million in 2006.

Building permits were for the Central Okanagan East and Westside Electoral areas for 2007 as well as the new Westside District Municipality for the month of December.

Regional District Communications Coordinator, Bruce Smith, says 1101 building permits were issued, the third straight year more than 1100 building projects were given the green light.

"During 2007, new residential construction accounted for almost two-thirds of the total dollar value of projects," says Smith.

"More than 430 new single-family houses proceeded to construction with a combined value of more than $103.5 million."

Smith says 20 multi-family developments, creating more than 530 units, were also approved.

"During 2007, the Westside Electoral Area accounted for 942 building permits worth more than $202 million. That included 389 single-family homes, 18 multi-family projects and 19 duplex projects."

He says 31 single-family and 10 duplex projects were approved in the Central Okanagan East Electoral Area while an additional 37 permits were issued in December in the Westside District Municipality.
From Castanet.net

It's pretty exciting to see that there were more multi-family units approved than single family homes. This being the sprawl capital outside GVRD.

urbanprince Jan 27, 2008 3:38 AM

How do all the young professionals survive? Or do they leave?

The home prices are abs. crazy?

giallo Jan 27, 2008 4:59 AM

I bought a new place in a multi-family complex and I rent to a mother and her son. It's two bedrooms, 1200sqft and $1100 a month. Not cheap, but not exactly expensive either. It's brand new and in a good location, so I think the rental price is fair.

wisla_krakow Jan 30, 2008 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanprince (Post 3310624)
How do all the young professionals survive? Or do they leave?

The home prices are abs. crazy?

Many leave, then some come back when they have enough to afford it. Or, they buy a second home here.

wisla_krakow Feb 14, 2008 1:17 AM

Madison is under construction now. The land looks really weird without all that preload.
Also, expect a photo thread sometime in early spring.

Stingray2004 Feb 21, 2008 11:08 PM

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/WilliamRBenn.../080215_07.jpg

The new 5-lane W.R. Bennett floating bridge (as well as the Campbell Road interchange on the westside) are sure coming along nicely! Another five months or so until its anticipated July opening date.

Calgarian Feb 21, 2008 11:11 PM

Looks good, can't wait to cross that baby this summer. Are there any plans for a second crossing? it would be wise, Harvey can't handle much more traffic.

rrskylar Feb 22, 2008 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisla_krakow (Post 3352920)
Madison is under construction now. The land looks really weird without all that preload.
Also, expect a photo thread sometime in early spring.

OMG! Bye the way what ever happened to your buddy mackeast?

wisla_krakow Feb 22, 2008 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 3371081)
OMG! Bye the way what ever happened to your buddy mackeast?

LOL
Um, not sure. I said I hadn't talked to him in over a year now.

240glt Feb 22, 2008 8:11 PM

Quote:

Looks good, can't wait to cross that baby this summer. Are there any plans for a second crossing? it would be wise, Harvey can't handle much more traffic.
I'd expect a bypass route along the westside before a second crossing

As someone who's spent hours in lineups trying to cross that old bridge I'd say this new bridge can't have come online soon enough!

wisla_krakow Feb 22, 2008 8:36 PM

I honestly think I've wasted at least a few days of my life stuck in traffic for the bridge.

240glt Feb 22, 2008 9:21 PM

^ I'll bet. It was bad in '93-95 when I lived there, and I can only imagine it's gotten much worse since then.

On perhaps a related matter, a friend of mine lives in Okanagan Landing in Vernon, on Okanagan ave, and her property backs onto the commonage & she's received word that a major thoroughfare is in some initial planning phase that will run a bypass basically right behind her house. Could that be part of the Kelowna bypass that I've heard about ? Vernon needs a bypass too.... hwy 97 through town has gotten ridiculous all year round & hospital hill is a major accident just waiting to happen

Stingray2004 Feb 22, 2008 9:50 PM

Here's the ultimate freeway alignment for the Central Okanagan Bypass in Kelowna, north of Harvey Ave. Speed limit will be 100 km/hr for the eastern sections.

It's being built in stages and the western end will ultimately hook up with a new second crossing at the base of Knox Mountain near the sawmill and the old ferry landing on the westside. But that's at least 30 years out, I would think.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/...20displays.pdf

Then you have the longer-term Vernon West Bypass, Westbank Bypass, and other highway projects in this report.

http://www.nord.ca/publications/pdf/ovtc_report.pdf

240glt Feb 22, 2008 10:06 PM

^ Yes, the NORD PDF shows the bypass running out through the commonage & over to Bella Vista. I guess my friend was right... sounds like that bypass is a long ways out though. She'll be happy about that.

That urban freeway looks like a huge undertaking, considering it runs though lots of developed area.... I assume the city is already getting ROW's in place.

Whatever happened to that highway that was supposed to run down the westside to right around O'Keefe ranch, then tee up with Hwy 97 south of Armstrong ?