SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   BOSTON | Mayor Urges Construction of City's Tallest | NEVER BUILT (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99004)

Benhamin Feb 18, 2006 4:02 PM

BOSTON | Mayor Urges Construction of City's Tallest | NEVER BUILT

Can't believe no one posted this yet...

Construction of 1,000-foot skyscraper urged

February 17, 2006

Mayor Thomas M. Menino yesterday called for construction of the city's tallest building ever -- a 70- to 80-story tower reaching 1,000 feet high on the site of the Winthrop Square parking garage in the Financial District -- to demonstrate Boston's confidence in its future.

'Here, we'll be looking for proposals that symbolize the full scope of this city's greatness," Menino told the city's business community yesterday, in a speech at the Seaport Hotel on the South Boston Waterfront.

''We will insist on bold vision and world-class architecture," Menino said of the tower envisioned by City Hall planners. In a colorful artist's rendering of the skyline the city envisions, two slender spires extend the building high above downtown's two tallest structures, the One International Place building and One Financial Center, both 46 floors.

Ken Greenberg, an urban designer and founder of Greenberg Consultants Inc. of Toronto, said Boston could use another skyscraper, because the 1980s and '90s brought a series of buildings of much the same height. ''I don't think all tall buildings are wonderful everywhere," said Greenberg, ''but there are some places where they can play very significant roles.

''What this building does is it creates a punctuation. I was struck by this -- it adds a little something special, gives a little focus to the eye."

In his speech at the annual meeting of the Boston Municipal Research Bureau, Menino said the city's immediate priorities are addressing increasing crime, meeting the challenges of rising costs, and staying competitive in a world economy where Boston is less insulated than ever from global challenges.

But a new signature tower would show confidence about overcoming those obstacles, Menino said, serving as ''a stunning statement of our belief in Boston's bright future."

Greenberg was interim chief planner at the BRA until last month but was not involved in the Winthrop Square plan, and he continues to advise the city on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway design. ''There is something about dense cities that is good -- the life and activity," he said.

With the office leasing market showing significant improvement, developers are expected to line up as the city seeks proposals over the next two months for the location at 115 Federal St., between Franklin and Summer streets.

''We expect proposals from around the world," said Susan Elsbree, a spokeswoman for the Boston Redevelopment Authority. ''Dozens."

The office market is improving in Boston and the surrounding area after a difficult few years, and suddenly there is talk in the Boston real estate community of a new office tower, or even two. Two buildings already permitted and in design are located at Russia Wharf and on Fan Pier. But those are in the range of 30 floors or smaller, like most of Boston's recent buildings.

The Winthrop Square site also could be developed for residential use, or some combination of residential and commercial. Developers are allowed greater height if they include housing. The garage, which is owned by the city, would be demolished.

Building height downtown has been constrained in Boston by a combination of factors, including market demand, opposition from community activists who fight the increased traffic and shadows that towers bring, and a patchwork of complex zoning rules.

Though there are many exceptions, height is limited to about 150 feet in most of the city.

Yesterday's proposal -- about 20 floors higher than the city's tallest building, the 62-story John Hancock Tower in the Back Bay -- would radically redraw the city's skyline. Even at 1,000 feet, however, it is still shorter than other major skyscrapers around the world, including the 1,250-foot-high Empire State Building.

A number of local industry players, including International Place co-owner Donald J. Chiofaro and Landmark Center developer Abbey Group, are interested in bidding on the Winthrop Square site.

''A 1,000-foot tower, really?" said Robert Epstein, chief executive of Abbey Group. ''I like tall buildings. We'll definitely look at it."

A spokesman for Steve Belkin, founder of Trans National Group of Boston, said yesterday that he would consider a bid to develop the site. Belkin owns 133 Federal St., an office building with a key location adjacent to the Winthrop Square garage.

''I look forward eagerly to responding and working diligently with the city to help make Mayor Menino's incredible vision a reality," Belkin, who was traveling yesterday, said through a spokesman.

The last office towers to open in the city -- the State Street Financial Center near Chinatown and 33 Arch St. near Downtown Crossing -- are 36 and 33 floors tall respectively.

The tallest buildings expected to be built on the South Boston Waterfront are likely to be even shorter, because they are closer to Logan International Airport and under flight paths. The two World Trade Center towers are 16 and 17 floors.

Over the past decade or so, community activists have raised vigorous objections to tall buildings. Neighbors of the planned Columbus Center, over the Massachusetts Turnpike between the Back Bay and South End, objected to its height, which was finally approved by the city at 35 floors in 2003.

Menino fought a losing battle with Leather District residents who wanted to keep a site known as Two Financial Center, near the 46-floor One Financial Center, from becoming a tower. It ended up being approved at 12 floors.

John B. Hynes III, president of Gale International, which successfully developed the State Street tower, has been critical of an anti-height movement in Boston that has prevented the Boston skyline from extending upward in recent years.

Winthrop Square is ''probably the best office location left in the city," Hynes said last night. ''We're gung-ho on it."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...scraper_urged/

I'm totally psyched about this! I really hope it gets built.

JMGarcia Feb 18, 2006 4:14 PM

Here's a rendering.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/T...64053_2954.jpg

williamphilapa Feb 18, 2006 4:18 PM

looks good.:tup: i wanna see more renderings :yes:

ItsConanOBrien Feb 18, 2006 4:22 PM

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Mike/617 Feb 18, 2006 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamphilapa
looks good.:tup: i wanna see more renderings :yes:

There aren't any right now because no developer or architect has been chosen. What you see above was put out by the city to show the location and potential height of the tower, as well as other additions to the downtown skyline.

M. Brown Feb 18, 2006 6:06 PM

w00t!!!

grfrednet Feb 18, 2006 8:10 PM

Cool rendering. Is the location for this tower far enough away from the airport that height will not be an issue for zoning approval? Also, I'm a little confused as to why the mayor seems to be the driving force for an office building being constructed at such a height. Aren't these types of office projects usually market driven?

*sweetkisses* Feb 18, 2006 8:46 PM

This is great news. I'm happy for Boston. :)

Steely Dan Feb 18, 2006 8:55 PM

awesome news for boston! a new tallest for a city is always exciting, and the way it sounds like they want to handle this with an international design competition may mean that boston will get something that is much more than just tall.

Spooky873 Feb 18, 2006 9:00 PM

Well, first Philly getting its new tallest, then Baltimore, and now Boston. I like it. We also have a new tallest in the works!

Amazing Indy Feb 18, 2006 9:14 PM

This would be so awesome to see rise while I'm in town and if i become a future resident. Kinda glad that it isnt that design in the picture....i want something a little more creative.

NYguy Feb 18, 2006 9:17 PM

Quote:

Mayor Thomas M. Menino yesterday called for construction of the city's tallest building ever -- a 70- to 80-story tower reaching 1,000 feet high on the site of the Winthrop Square parking garage in the Financial District -- to demonstrate Boston's confidence in its future.

'Here, we'll be looking for proposals that symbolize the full scope of this city's greatness," Menino told the city's business community yesterday, in a speech at the Seaport Hotel on the South Boston Waterfront.

I was wondering when Boston would get on the bandwagon of cities in the northeast building new tallest. Its odd that just 4 years ago people thought the skyscraper dead, at least in the US. Ha!

Steely Dan Feb 18, 2006 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooky873
Well, first Philly getting its new tallest, then Baltimore, and now Boston. I like it. We also have a new tallest in the works!

and chicago, and cincy, and st. louis, and denver, and vegas, and jacksonville, and tampa, and miami, and..........

there's certainly more that i'm forgetting. american cities seem to be on a "new tallest building" kick of late, which is pretty damn excellent for us skyscraper fans!

mSeattle Feb 18, 2006 9:24 PM

Cool

kazpmk Feb 18, 2006 10:12 PM

great news. But It would probably take 2 years to gets this project to break ground if ever. It's been a good week hearing neww tallest proposals in Baltimore and Boston.

KevinFromTexas Feb 18, 2006 11:22 PM

Yeah, but what are the odds the nimbys will stop it?

I was royally pissed when they stopped the South Station Tower. That would have been a beauty.

Spooky873 Feb 19, 2006 12:33 AM

thats what I thought this was at first.

Marvel 33 Feb 19, 2006 1:05 AM

Nice project!

The Cheat Feb 19, 2006 3:11 AM

That's good news for Boston!

Anyone know if they would build it on speculation, or if they will wait until they sign up 50-70% with tenants before they start.

I'm not familiar with the zoning in Boston, but would it be possible for it be mixed use, with residential condos or hotel rooms in the same tower?

Jularc Feb 19, 2006 4:33 AM

That is so great Boston! Can't wait to see more renderings on this one.

Altauria Feb 19, 2006 5:29 AM

I too, thought this was about South Station at first. I also didn't know it was canceled. UGH. I had always thought a great idea for a Boston skyscraper would be to straddle over the reclaimed land (soon to be parkland?) from the Big Dig. There is now a whole stretch of some of the most prime real estate in the nation when the elevated highway came down. This all makes me want to move back even more.

jamesinclair Feb 19, 2006 7:55 AM

I dont see whats to get excited about. Just because the mayor wants it, doesnt mean any company sees the need to build it.

As I said in the northeast forum, he probably wants to get the attention on growth, rather than his phonebooth murder campaign (and other strange anti-crime persuits).

bryson662001 Feb 19, 2006 8:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I dont see whats to get excited about. Just because the mayor wants it, doesnt mean any company sees the need to build it.

As I said in the northeast forum, he probably wants to get the attention on growth, rather than his phonebooth murder campaign (and other strange anti-crime persuits).

Exactly....wishing won't make it happen......and what about the next mayor.....how does he feel about it?

HomeInMyShoes Feb 19, 2006 1:07 PM

News story: Mayor of Boston voted out by NIMBYs.

cityguy Feb 19, 2006 1:09 PM

I thought Boston had a high office vacancy rate?

Benhamin Feb 19, 2006 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altauria
I too, thought this was about South Station at first. I also didn't know it was canceled. UGH. I had always thought a great idea for a Boston skyscraper would be to straddle over the reclaimed land (soon to be parkland?) from the Big Dig. There is now a whole stretch of some of the most prime real estate in the nation when the elevated highway came down. This all makes me want to move back even more.

The roof of the Central Artery Tunnel simply cannot support a highrise.

Benhamin Feb 19, 2006 3:56 PM

Quote:

Politicians in Boston have mad clout. I would not at all be surprised to see this thing go up in about 7 years or do. I believe in time many companies will bid on this tower, due to the publicity this project will recieve.

Daquan13 Feb 19, 2006 4:05 PM

I did read that in the Boston Herald yesterday.

One developer wants to make it 65 floors to surpass the John Hancock Tower.
And it looks as though twin spires will be placed on top.

Reminiscent of the JHC and Sears Tower in Chicago.

kznyc2k Feb 20, 2006 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityguy
I thought Boston had a high office vacancy rate?

Boston's Office Market Bounces Back

By Beverly Ford
December 20, 2005

BOSTON - For the first time in five years, the city's office market experienced its first resurgence in leasing activity in 2005 with more than 1.6 million sf of positive absorption, a report released by CB Richard Ellis/New England found. The office vacancy rate in Boston, which has about 66 million sf of office space, dropped to 11.7 % with just two weeks left in the year, declining 1.5% from 13.2% at the end of 2004.

David Fitzgerald, executive vice president and partner with CBRE/New England, tells GlobeSt.com that 2005 marked a turning point for Downtown Boston's commercial market. He says the turnaround is due in large part to the growth of both new and existing companies, increased tenant demand and a continued flight to quality by businesses seeking to capitalize on rental rates.

Fueling the demand, says Fitzgerald, was the growth of small to mid-sized companies which helped tighten the city's overall inventory and pushed up the average rental rate slightly from $33.02 to $34.38 per sf. The conversion of two million sf of office space to residential also constricted availability, he notes.

The report, which covered Boston's Central Business District (Charlestown, Fort Point Channel, Midtown, North Station/Waterfront, South Station, Dorchester, Allston-Brighton/Longwood and Fenway/Kenmore Square neighborhoods) also found there was more than 2.5 million sf of gross leasing activity and more than 200 transactions in the city last year. Of that activity, more than a million sf was sublease space that was either leased, taken off the market or had terms expire.

While every area of the city benefited from the resurgence, Fitzgerald says the Back Bay and the CBD benefited the most. The Fort Point Channel area and the Leather District and South Station areas also showed considerable improvement. The strong demand for office space has benefited owners as well as the tightening market forced the average rent up slightly from $33.02 per sf to $34.38 per sf.

Rents continued to remain strong in high-rise office space in the city's class A towers as well where asking rents have increased to the low $50s per sf and in some cases reached the low $60s. Conversely, rents for low-rise space has remained flat, averaging between the high $20s and high $30s per sf. Companies also rushed to complete deals for discounted rates before the market cycle turned and rents increased, according to the report.

--------

So to answer your question, not really. There's been speculation lately about space needs some 5-10 years down the road, and I believe that's where Menino is hoping interest will (eventually) come from.

ItsConanOBrien Feb 20, 2006 3:12 AM

From a recent newspaper article...

"Rick Hersey, a real estate broker from Westford who prefers suburban sprawl to skyscrapers, reacted to the idea of a new tall tower in an e-mail to the Globe.

''What's Mayor Menino doing, designing something with 70 or 80 stories, after what we went through Sept. 11?" Hersey said in a telephone interview. ''I thought everybody had learned their lesson, to plan cities without possible targets."

I actually take offense to that statement as an American and as a skyscraper and Boston enthousiast.

kznyc2k Feb 20, 2006 3:22 AM

Yep, it's a cryin' shame what that guy said. By that logic, our cities should contain nothing - NOTHING - that sticks out in the slightest bit, so in no way in anyone's mind can they construe something as of more importance than the building next to it.

80 story skyscraper? City Hall/municipal building? Recycling facility? Nope, sorry Mr. Mayor, they're without a doubt targets to the evildoers. Zoning allows for construction of 1-story adobe huts and nothing else. It's our only choice if we want to win the war!

Altauria Feb 20, 2006 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsConanOBrien

"Rick Hersey, a real estate broker from Westford who prefers suburban sprawl to skyscrapers, reacted to the idea of a new tall tower in an e-mail to the Globe.

''What's Mayor Menino doing, designing something with 70 or 80 stories, after what we went through Sept. 11?" Hersey said in a telephone interview. ''I thought everybody had learned their lesson, to plan cities without possible targets."

I actually take offense to that statement as an American and as a skyscraper and Boston enthousiast.

Well, if I were your typical sleezy, disgusting, and lying businessman that saw something that threatened my base (as this Hersey seems to be), I'd use the emotions and manipulate the sentiments of the public as well. It's a similar tactic as, say, when politicians hold children up as metaphorical shields against opposition while shouting "think of the children!". Ok, now I think I'm just roaming off topic. My appologies.

jamesinclair Feb 20, 2006 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsConanOBrien

The same article talks about how "some" are against it because they like the parking garage that currently exsists there.

Right.

I hate when articles use the word some.

World hunger abolished but some not yet satisfied!

The article did answer the question on why Menino proposed this: the land is owned by the city.

NYonward Feb 20, 2006 2:30 PM

Quote:

The same article talks about how "some" are against it because they like the parking garage that currently exsists there.

Right.

I hate when articles use the word some.

World hunger abolished but some not yet satisfied!

There will always be a few idiots who are against anything. It really points to the paper or source. First of all, finding someone against something just to have the opposing point of view (no matter how marginalized) is poor reporting. Secondly, they find a suburban real estate broker to give a counterpoint. The man has a blatant conflict of interest. Of course he is going to be against it.

Fabb Feb 20, 2006 4:37 PM

Quote:

Mayor Thomas M. Menino yesterday called for construction of the city's tallest building ever -- a 70- to 80-story tower reaching 1,000 feet high (...) to demonstrate Boston's confidence in its future.

Is Boston a fast growing chinese metropolis ?
I hope that this project won't be given a name that will demonstrate Bonston's "confidence".

urbanlife Feb 21, 2006 7:03 AM

nice, so when he is done there would he like a mayor job over here in Portland because I would love to see somthing that tall here.

CoolCzech Feb 22, 2006 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMGarcia

It looks like one of the BBB site plans for the WTC in NYC: what exactly is "world class" about it?

Benhamin Feb 22, 2006 12:40 AM

^ it's not the real tower, it's just how a 1000 footer might look in the skyline.

CoolCzech Feb 22, 2006 12:43 AM

- How do you do THAT? Have no people in the city?

ItsConanOBrien Feb 22, 2006 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCzech

- How do you do THAT? Have no people in the city?

Bingo!

J Church Feb 22, 2006 7:23 PM

A civilization made up entirely of people living and working in one-story buildings on one-acre plots would be immune to terrorist attack.

Except with biological weapons. Oh, snap.

Chicago Shawn Feb 22, 2006 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Church
A civilization made up entirely of people living and working in one-story buildings on one-acre plots would be immune to terrorist attack.

Except with biological weapons. Oh, snap.

:haha: Or nuclear.

Im really excited about this, and hope it turns into an international competition. I can't wait to see what may be built. What a great way to snub Boston's NIMBYs too. This tallest high-rise binge that American cities are all feasting on is so exciting.

Mike/617 Feb 23, 2006 5:16 AM

Tower plan draws worldwide calls
By Scott Van Voorhis
Thursday, February 23, 2006

Would-be tower builders from across the world are responding to Mayor Thomas M. Menino’s call for a new skyscraper that would be the tallest ever built in Boston, a top city official said yesterday.

Mark Maloney, director of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, said developers from as far afield as Europe and Asia have called to seek information on Menino’s tower plan.

Menino has called for proposals to build what could be a 1,000 foot skyscraper - one that would soar above even the Hancock Tower - now considered the city’s premier office tower.

Moreover, real estate companies from San Franciso to New York have also signaled interest, Maloney said.

“We have phone calls from around the world,’ he said.

The flood of interest comes as City Hall prepares to put up for bid next month a city-owned parking garage in Winthrop Square in the heart of the Financial District.

City officials envision a slender, soaring tower on the acre-sized site, one that may combine housing with corporate offices, Maloney said.

The overall size could be “well in excess” of 1 million square feet, and possibly approach the 2 million square foot mark.

While overseas and big national developers are likely to look at the deal, more than one local player may be poised to make a strong run.

A potential key player is Hub travel magnate and sports team owner Steve Belkin, who owns a neighboring office building and has long contemplated a skyscraper project of his own on the city-owned site.

http://business.bostonherald.com/bus...ticleid=127584

bosmausasky Feb 25, 2006 9:01 AM

For those who are not familar with Boston, a high-rise over 40 stories has not been built in probably decades. Mainly because of NIMBY's. And the Mayor has never been so public with positive remarks about a high-rise building. Usually he says something like "well the developer has to work with the community".

And to me the South Station Tower is a mystery, its not officially dead however there has been no press on the project in a couple years.

The Boston Commercial Real Estate Market has always been good, and is consistently in the top 5. As an example, One Lincoln Street was sold a few months ago for $705 million.

Spooky873 Feb 25, 2006 8:54 PM

This would make up for it.

jamesinclair Feb 26, 2006 12:10 AM

Im surprised theres so much demand. If everyone wanted to build a new tower in Boston, why didnt they try to, instead of waiting for the mayor to say something?

Mind you, Im not against the building at all, I just think tis a strange process.

Martin H Unzon Mar 17, 2006 4:43 PM

As "Vision" now on our database http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=46900

Hoodrat Mar 18, 2006 1:52 AM

I'm excited about this one!!!

Go Boston!!!

suphilly Mar 18, 2006 8:00 AM

i don't know there just seems to be something fishey about this one

Mike/617 Jun 2, 2006 8:22 AM

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8...wercopy6me.jpg

Mayor launches push for iconic tower

By Chris Reidy, Globe Staff | May 31, 2006

Mayor Thomas M. Menino is appealing to developers from around the world to design an iconic tower that could be Boston's tallest building, rising as high as 1,000 feet above the Financial District.

Menino initially proposed the tower in February, saying he wanted a structure that would ``symbolize the full scope of this city's greatness."

The city yesterday issued a formal request for proposals for a 47,738 square feet of city-owned land in Winthrop Square that is currently the site of a four-story garage.

The city also paid for ads in major newspapers to entice as many developers as possible to bid on an opportunity to ``transform Boston's skyline." Ads ran in the US, European, and Asian editions of The Wall Street Journal, as well as in the global editions of The New York Times and the Financial Times and in the Globe. ``We're reaching out to the world and telling them they could miss an opportunity if they overlook Boston," said Mark Maloney , director of the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

He could not put a price tag on the ads, but said it was a ``significant amount."

``We want developers to know we're serious about this project," he said.

Yesterday's request for proposals, for what the city is calling One Fifteen Winthrop Square, is open-ended to encourage creativity, but the winning design is likely to feature a mix of housing, offices, stores, restaurants, and possibly a hotel.

``The canvas is clear, so people can paint an incredible painting," Maloney said.

The city wants the tower to have ``civic" space that would bring more nighttime activity to the Financial District. Possible ideas include space for concerts and lectures or an indoor winter garden.

The winning design also must help connect the site to Downtown Crossing and the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway, and ``it should be recognized for breaking new ground in green building design and technology," the request for proposals said.

The lobby should be ``one of Boston's grand public spaces," the request said; ``architecture should acknowledge its place at the beginning of the 21st century" and the building ``must be expressive of Boston's long-standing reputation as a center of innovation."

``This will be a megaproject that requires deep pockets and sophistication in mixed-use planning," said David Begelfer , chief executive of the Massachusetts chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.

``The question is, is the market able to accept that amount of space?" said Begelfer, who added that it could be seven to 10 years before a new tower could be ready for occupancy. City officials are confident the market can absorb such a project.

The deadline for initial proposals is mid-November. ``It would be great if we got seven or eight proposals, and then we'd have two to four finalists," Maloney said.