SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | RBC Convention Centre | Expansion | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196859)

esquire Sep 5, 2014 8:41 PM

^ I wonder if 363 Broadway will link up by skywalk to the convention centre? If so, that would be the first skywalk connection to Broadway... it would really expand the network's footprint.

Cyro Sep 5, 2014 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6718717)
I know I'm venturing off topic here, but that first pic reminds me that it would be great if the remand centre, which is by all accounts bursting at the seams, could be replaced with something bigger and newer as they did in Edmonton:

http://www.solgps.alberta.ca/program...nd_centre.aspx

It would be nice if the existing remand centre could then be repurposed in a way that adds a little more activity to the area.

Was there some talk about expanding the current facility in the future?

Riverman Sep 5, 2014 8:42 PM

The remand centre was put where it was so criminals could be walked to the court buildings. There is no better place for it.

The criminal element is a large and important part of Winnipeg's culture. It is insensitive of you to suggest they move to the suburbs. ;)

Cyro Sep 5, 2014 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6718729)
^ I wonder if 363 Broadway will link up by skywalk to the convention centre? If so, that would be the first skywalk connection to Broadway... it would really expand the network's footprint.

I don't believe it was mentioned in the released plans that we've seen. It would be a nice connection if it was being considered.

esquire Sep 5, 2014 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverman (Post 6718733)
The remand centre was put where it was so criminals could be walked to the court buildings. There is no better place for it.

The criminal element is a large and important part of Winnipeg's culture. It is insensitive of you to suggest they move to the suburbs. ;)

Haha... maybe a little time in the sunshine and fresh air of East St. Paul would do them some good? :whip:

It is logical to put it by the courts, for sure... but in Alberta they saw the merits of putting it out of town to allow for future expansion and presumably increased security.

Winnipeg's remand centre opened in the mid 90s before gang crime really got out of hand... I'm not sure it's up to the job anymore based on what I've heard. Might be best suited for holding people on their actual hearing/trial dates.

Riverman Sep 5, 2014 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6718739)
Might be best suited for holding people on their actual hearing/trial dates.

That is exactly what it is used for. Or at least that is its intended use.

The Edmonchuck remand is more like Headingly. I suspect that because Headingly is so crammed they are holding convicts at the remand centre now.

esquire Sep 5, 2014 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverman (Post 6718743)

The Edmonchuck remand is more like Headingly. I suspect that because Headingly is so crammed they are holding convicts at the remand centre now.

Anyone who knows for sure can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the WRC is being used to hold accuseds awaiting trial... that wait can literally take years in some cases. With a couple hundred long-term guests the place fills up in a hurry. If there are actually convicts serving sentences in there, that's certainly news to me... I didn't think the WRC had room enough for people on remand, let alone spillover from Headingley.

Maybe the way to go is to build a remand unit at Headingley... might lead to some efficiencies having two big facilities like that side by side. At some point something will have to give with the WRC because it is absolutely jammed far beyond what it was designed for.

Cyro Sep 5, 2014 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6718751)
Anyone who knows for sure can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the WRC is being used to hold accuseds awaiting trial... that wait can literally take years in some cases. With a couple hundred long-term guests the place fills up in a hurry. If there are actually convicts serving sentences in there, that's certainly news to me... I didn't think the WRC had room enough for people on remand, let alone spillover from Headingley.

Maybe the way to go is to build a remand unit at Headingley... might lead to some efficiencies having two big facilities like that side by side. At some point something will have to give with the WRC because it is absolutely jammed far beyond what it was designed for.

The uses/stats are covered here when it comes to inmate population, with a comparison to other provinces.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../11440-eng.htm

Yes, I'm veering of topic.

plrh Sep 5, 2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverman (Post 6718743)

The opposite is true. Headingley is crammed because it is holding WRC overflow because it takes so long to go to trial.

Riverman Sep 6, 2014 2:54 PM

^ Thank you.

Bluenote Sep 7, 2014 4:01 AM

Headingly has always been overloaded. The woman's correctional building in headingly is a good example of what they do need to build for overflow. Or just build on atop Brady landfill. The stink would be a good punishment

Bdog Sep 8, 2014 4:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote (Post 6720041)
Or just build on atop Brady landfill. The stink would be a good punishment

The inmates at South Pointe correctional facility would agree I'm sure...

Cyro Sep 29, 2014 7:24 PM

Sept.29

http://www.wcc.mb.ca/wp-content/uplo...ptember-29.jpg

Source

She's coming together, that sky walk and the exterior are flying along.

esquire Sep 29, 2014 7:42 PM

If you want an interesting perspective on this project, try walking west on York Avenue. The building really looms over the street... it's impressive.

Cyro Sep 29, 2014 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6748044)
If you want an interesting perspective on this project, try walking west on York Avenue. The building really looms over the street... it's impressive.

I agree. This webcam view is not the best in taking in the whole project.

bomberjet Sep 29, 2014 8:14 PM

I was downtown last week paying for something, ahem thanks WPS, and I have to say it is rather impressing. Seems like the part over York cantilevers way outside the existing footprint onto Carlton. May have just been my perspective looking from Hargrave. But looks good.

roccerfeller Sep 30, 2014 5:12 AM

geez that looks massive

buzzg Oct 1, 2014 3:01 AM

Anyone know if they'll be redoing the existing part of the building to match the new half... renders don't show too much. Realistically the top half (silver) still looks fine but the lower street-level portion looks really dated.

Biff Oct 1, 2014 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzg (Post 6750312)
Anyone know if they'll be redoing the existing part of the building to match the new half... renders don't show too much. Realistically the top half (silver) still looks fine but the lower street-level portion looks really dated.

The older portion was just recently reclad. The new portion will match the existing cladding.

njaohnt Oct 1, 2014 11:11 PM

That's going up fast. Maybe they will finish it early.