SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Boatguy619 Jul 16, 2019 6:02 AM

When the new Navy building is finished will the Navy property at Pacific & A become vacant? It would be nice to have another 400'+ go up there and block one of the twin towers at the grande.

Streamliner Jul 16, 2019 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 8633178)
A drastic remodel of the California Theatre sailed through its first government review, raising the likelihood it will be rapidly approved.

The design review committee of Civic San Diego, downtown’s planning agency, gave gushing reviews of the project Wednesday, unanimously approving it to move forward.

At nearly 100 years old, the California Theatre building has been falling apart for years but efforts to remake the site had been thwarted by preservationists. After striking a deal with preservation group Save Our Heritage Organisation, the developer is moving to quickly get approvals by the fall and begin construction by October 2020.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ernment-review

Good. I hope this keeps sailing and construction commences quickly. Looks like a great project.

tdavis Jul 17, 2019 8:13 AM

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Or, you know, the minimum wage employee they've got answering the phones is only allowed to use that one soundbite. And she hung up after someone kept badgering her for answers she's not allowed to give, and probably doesn't even know herself.

No offense to you staplesla, but pressuring someone after they've already told you "No Comment" is kind of a jerk move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 8632342)
I’m not going to hypothesize on what her response means. But please don’t assume I’m naive enough to speak to a receptionist, nor am I one to “badger” someone. I spoke with Stephanie Brown, VP of Communications for Manchester Financial Group.

The classic, “no offense....but”, similar to “I’m sorry, but”. :yuck:
Pretty arrogant and dick post Will O' Wisp.

staplesla: thanks for trying to get some info on this project.

Streamliner Jul 17, 2019 4:23 PM

Anyone going down to Comic-Con this weekend? I always like seeing the zany stuff they add downtown, like wraps on the Marriott and Hilton. Post pics if you have anything!

Will O' Wisp Jul 19, 2019 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 8634329)
The classic, “no offense....but”, similar to “I’m sorry, but”. :yuck:
Pretty arrogant and dick post Will O' Wisp.

staplesla: thanks for trying to get some info on this project.

I was going to just let this die off, but if you want to call me out that that I'll be more blunt. Trying to pressure someone into to saying something they don't want to say is inappropriate in any situation. When a public facing figure says "no comment" or "that's all I'm going to comment", that means they aren't going to say anything further on the subject. If they hang up on you after you continue to press them it's not because you've uncovered some dark secret, it's because you're being rude.

This sort of behavior is why I can't really meet with the public anymore, and that's a real loss because I love sharing what I do with people. I'd rather not see it celebrated here.

staplesla: I appreciate you trying to get info on this project, and getting an official statement for us (such as it is). I wouldn't read you getting hung up on afterwords as anything more than you getting a little overaggressive in your questioning.

SDfan Jul 19, 2019 3:33 PM

I don't think it's rude to ask a follow up question after a "no comment" response. If we let every conversation die off after "no comment" then we'd be giving folks an easy out to any inquiry. It's not rude, and "no comment" is not an end all to any question.

If you can't handle meeting with the public, can't handle answering questions, don't work in public facing positions, especially if you're a fukcing VP of Comms :haha:

tdavis Jul 19, 2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 8636263)
I was going to just let this die off, but if you want to call me out that that I'll be more blunt. Trying to pressure someone into to saying something they don't want to say is inappropriate in any situation. When a public facing figure says "no comment" or "that's all I'm going to comment", that means they aren't going to say anything further on the subject. If they hang up on you after you continue to press them it's not because you've uncovered some dark secret, it's because you're being rude.

This sort of behavior is why I can't really meet with the public anymore, and that's a real loss because I love sharing what I do with people. I'd rather not see it celebrated here.

staplesla: I appreciate you trying to get info on this project, and getting an official statement for us (such as it is). I wouldn't read you getting hung up on afterwords as anything more than you getting a little overaggressive in your questioning.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. What do you mean by “This sort of behavior is why I can't really meet with the public anymore“?

What type of behavior? He posed a question to the communications VP. That’s her job, to answer questions. And what is your beef with staplesla? You keep insinuating that his posing a question is “rude” or “over aggressive”; yet the only hostile behavior I’ve seen on this forum has come from you, Will O' Wisp (not just this case, but others as well).

SDCAL Jul 20, 2019 2:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 8636263)

Quite frankly, I’m sick and tired of arrogant developers thinking members of the community are too dumb or unimportant to know what’s going on with these projects, and your post epitomizes that arrogance.

I own a condo downtown and it’s not a crime to try and get information about surrounding development in my community.

If anything, I think straplesa was kinder than I would have been after being hung up on for asking perfectly reasonable questions. Manchester gave timelines and now they aren’t meeting them. Hopefully a reporter that’s more persistent and aggressive will go visit the rude woman who said no comment and hung-up and find out the truth so the public can know what’s really up with this major project that has a large impact on our community.

And while they’re at it, they should visit Cisterra and find out what’s up w/ 7th/Market!

JerellO Jul 20, 2019 8:17 AM

......um.... can you guys take it to the DMs??? Lol

Nv_2897 Jul 21, 2019 5:29 AM

anna oop

staplesla Jul 21, 2019 2:04 PM

Cubic Corp. to expand footprint in San Diego with new $100M global headquarters

Cubic Corp., one of San Diego’s oldest publicly traded companies, operated for years as a collection of separate small businesses — mainly in defense and public transit fare technologies — all working independently.

But since 2012, Chief Executive Bradley Feldmann has been working to modernize and bring together Cubic’s myriad businesses under one umbrella in an initiative dubbed One Cubic.

It started by getting everyone to use the same software systems. It later evolved into sharing engineering talent across product lines.

Now the company, perhaps best known as the provider of the Top Gun fighter pilot training system, is making another move in its One Cubic strategy. On Tuesday, Cubic executives and city officials held a groundbreaking for two new headquarters buildings on the company’s Kearny Mesa campus.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...l-headquarters

Will O' Wisp Jul 22, 2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 8637258)
......um.... can you guys take it to the DMs??? Lol

The conversation has run its course and its pretty clear we aren't going to see eye to eye on this. For the benefit of the thread, I vote we just agree to disagree.

Quote:

Seaport San Diego tower is like nothing else on California’s coast. That’s the problem

A proposed observation tower at the edge of Pacific Highway is a polarizing symbol of change that could make or break the larger, $2.4 billion redevelopment effort planned for downtown’s Central Embarcadero.

In some circles there is a sense that San Diego is missing an internationally recognizable calling card, as in a postcard-worthy — or in today’s vernacular, Instagrammable — destination that shouts, “Visit me.” The cylindrical tower with a cinched waist that is being touted as the high-flying replacement to a flat-by-comparison Seaport Village could change that.

That is, if California allows it.
Interesting article on the political dynamics of the Seaport Village redo. IMO the concerns about passing with the Coastal Commission are a little bit overblown. The CC hasn't formally looked at the project, so they don't really have a clear idea of what it is yet. And when they do they're going to see a project that dedicates a greater amount of space to the public than the area does now, is more accessible to the public at large (vs the current "tourist trap" that discourages locals), and is wildly supported by the citizens of San Diego.

Quote:

At marathon meeting, North County leaders’ transit plan concerns addressed

It was over a week after the Fourth of July, but fireworks erupted at a July 12 marathon 4.5-hour San Diego Association of Governments meeting about the future of the San Diego County mass transit system.

The group of county leaders convened to discuss the “5 Big Moves,” SANDAG’s vision to create a new-aged public transportation system in the name of rolling back traffic congestion and tackling climate change. And the meeting ended with some of the concerns addressed about the plan, which North County leaders have raised for months.
I've posted a few times about the turmoil at SANDAG. Well the whole thing came to a head on Friday after County Supervisors Desmond and Gaspar successfully brought forward a motion for a formal review of the "5 Big Moves" to the SANDAG board. While some seem to interpret the survival of the 5 Big Moves as a major victory for transit, the reality is Desmond and Gaspar got almost everything they asked for. Under a motion from Mayor Falconer the new regional plan will prioritize corridors in North/East county that are unfunded under the current plan, will include significant highway improvements, and shifts focus from redoing SD's entire transportation network to just coming up with something that satisfies CA state environmental law.

Gaspar narrowly lost a motion to forbid the study of converting general purpose highway lanes and local roads into toll lanes, mainly on the pleas of Ikhrata that it might be the only way to fund improvements if tax increases fail with the voters. She and some other North/East county leaders are still keeping up the pressure to get it off the table.

Streamliner Jul 22, 2019 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 8638134)

Interesting article on the political dynamics of the Seaport Village redo. IMO the concerns about passing with the Coastal Commission are a little bit overblown. The CC hasn't formally looked at the project, so they don't really have a clear idea of what it is yet. And when they do they're going to see a project that dedicates a greater amount of space to the public than the area does now, is more accessible to the public at large (vs the current "tourist trap" that discourages locals), and is wildly supported by the citizens of San Diego.

I agree that the CCC issue is a bit overblown. I think the question about public access is valid, and would be an easy fix if it's really an issue. Also, the concern about "bulk and scale" seems a little silly given its context within Downtown San Diego. Either way, that's a long way off and there's a lot of changes to the plans that will happen in the meantime.

My main gripe about the Seaport Village plan is (surprise, surprise), the height of the observation tower. I think an iconic tower designed by BIG should at least be taller than the nearly 30-year old Hyatt next door. I know the height limit issue has been discussed to death, but I like to daydream.

202_Cyclist Jul 22, 2019 5:28 PM

Airport will reach capacity around '35

Airport will reach capacity around '35
Officials revised original passenger, flight forecasts after unprecedented surge in landings and takeoffs in recent years

The San Diego Union Tribune
July 20, 2019

“After experiencing unprecedented passenger growth in recent years, San Diego International Airport is now expected to reach its full capacity of takeoffs and landings three decades from now - years earlier than originally forecast.

A new forecast, released Friday, comes as the San Diego Regional Airport Authority finalizes plans for a $3 billion redevelopment project that includes an expansion of gates at the increasingly busy - and aging - Terminal 1.

Where airport officials originally expected aircraft operations to max out well beyond 2050, newly revised calculations show that coming much sooner, with 280,000 annual takeoffs and landings predicted as early as 2035. In an older, now outdated forecast, that threshold would not have been reached until 12 years later. Maximum capacity of the single-runway airport is 290,000 aircraft operations annually…”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...nally-forecast

superfishy Jul 22, 2019 8:31 PM

I know the topic of the airport and the associated downtown height limit gets brought up a lot here, so sorry, but would how feasible is it for the height limit of the southern half of East Village to be changed? Is this at all possible, or are the regulations so concrete that it would be futile to attempt to change the limits through legislation or something?

Streamliner Jul 23, 2019 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfishy (Post 8638736)
I know the topic of the airport and the associated downtown height limit gets brought up a lot here, so sorry, but would how feasible is it for the height limit of the southern half of East Village to be changed? Is this at all possible, or are the regulations so concrete that it would be futile to attempt to change the limits through legislation or something?

Will o' Wisp summarized this issue very well a few months back. Refer to some of his previous posts

Will O' Wisp Jul 23, 2019 11:54 PM

^I'll just add that while it is technically feasible to have the height limit increased at the state level, all the parties with actual authority over the issue have little incentive to change things. The current limit was the result of a decades long negotiation between the city, Caltrans, and the FAA between the late 60s and the early 90s. The city fought for every inch of height it could have for downtown and at this point the FAA and Caltrans have shown very little interest in changing things.

The only city in the US that has taller buildings in close proximity to its airport is Boston, and that's only because they're the ones who started this whole mess in the first place by building a 700'+ skyscraper less than four miles from their airport in the 60s. So while it would be theoretically possible to have the regulations changed through a CA state assembly bill, and I believe it would be safe based on international experience, the chances of it happening are exceedingly unlikely.

@Streamliner: I know, but at least there's a silver lining. No one's going to take the "setting a precedent for skyscrapers on the coast" argument seriously when there's a tower just a foot shorter next door.

@202_Cyclist: I personally tend to place KSAN's capacity limit at ~45 million or more rather than 40 million, but I'm an optimist :)

HurricaneHugo Jul 24, 2019 7:24 AM

Have any of you guys heard of this?

The trolley planning to extend somehow into Tijuana?

The article is in spanish. Not sure how it would work

http://sintesistv.com.mx/trolley-de-...F850XJ4tAHIelU

Streamliner Jul 25, 2019 3:19 PM

Story on the Pinnacle Pacific Heights project on the front page of the Union-Tribune website today:

San Diego apartment complex with separate low-income building denied approval

July 25, 2019

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-heights-3.png

Quote:

An East Village apartment complex that calls for housing low-income renters in a separate building was not approved Wednesday by a downtown planning agency amid concerns that it felt like segregation.

The proposal from Vancouver-based Pinnacle International is a complex known as Pinnacle Pacific Heights that includes a 32-story building for market-rate renters and an adjacent eight-story building for 58 rent-restricted units. Poorer renters would not have access to a 32nd floor roofdeck or pool on the market-rate side, and would have to enter the building in a separate entrance. The market-rate tower, which would be located between A and B streets on 11th Avenue, proposes a total of 387 housing units.

Board members of Civic San Diego, which considered the project Wednesday, were critical of Pinnacle’s plan for separating the two classes of residents. The board stopped short of denying the project outright and instead sent it back to a lower committee to be heard in September, opening the door to reconsideration by the full board in the fall.

“This is segregation at its finest,” said board member Robert Robinson. “The design is bad. This is wrong. Who is paying who to do this kind of stuff?” Robinson, who is African-American, said he knows what it is like to feel segregated against and that the Pinnacle project reminded him of the old Jim Crow laws in the South.

Pinnacle’s proposal for low-income housing was crafted as part of a “density bonus” program that allows it to build more units within three separate towers it wants to construct downtown as long as it builds the affordable units within one mile of its project. Pinnacle has proposed constructing one building in the Columbia district and two others in East Village.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...enied-approval

Hopefully they resubmit with a better design. This one never wowed me.

spoonman Jul 25, 2019 7:50 PM

Now it's not enough the get brand new, subsidized housing in a prime location in the city. Now it has to be Luxe housing so the people living on the taxpayer dime can emulate the lifestyle of those paying top dollar for these condos.

Any why is it racial segregation. Is it largely minorities living on the taxpayer dole??