SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Will O' Wisp Jun 5, 2019 8:22 PM

Alas, poor Civic San Diego! I knew it well....

Quote:

San Diego to divorce its downtown planning agency in July

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...229-snap-photo

Ending decades of contractual accord, San Diego plans this July to formally sever ties with its downtown planning agency, Civic San Diego, as the city seeks to make good on a court settlement involving the agency’s purported unchecked building power.

Tuesday City Council members will vote in the first of two decisions on whether to implement the legal resolution, which includes the termination of the city’s agency agreement with Civic and the rezoning of downtown’s Marina district. Council members first considered and approved the terms in closed session on March 19, but their enactment hinges on the governing body’s approval in open session.

Formed in 2012, but with roots that date to 1992, Civic has operated as a city-owned non-profit, overseeing downtown planning and project entitlement services. That authority has translated to the construction of more than 210 projects in 27 years for a total of 22,000 residential units, a million square feet of office and retail space, and 6,800 hotel rooms, according to information in a city staff report.

Those powers will, however, be stripped from the agency to resolve two lawsuits. The original complaint, brought in 2015 by the San Diego Building & Construction Trades Council and former Civic board member Murtaza Baxamusa, alleged that Civic lacked meaningful oversight and was too tight with private developers. Both the city and Civic deny any wrongdoing.

With approval from council, the city and Civic will July 1 terminate their agency agreement — or the consulting contract that governs the administration of downtown planning and permitting functions, as well as administration of the downtown parking district. As a result, the city will take over those responsibilities.

To help with the additional tasks, San Diego will add nine full-time positions to its Smart & Sustainable Communities division, likely bringing on board Civic’s planning team, led by Brad Richter, and the parking district staffers. It will also take over operation of the downtown shuttle service, Free Ride San Diego, known as FRED.

The separation will also cause the rezoning of properties within downtown San Diego’s Marina District. That district’s ordinance will be repealed to allow for regulatory consistency across downtown. The zoning will not result in changes to land uses, densities or height restrictions, a spokesperson for the city’s planning department said.

Once the settlement is finalized, Civic San Diego, as an independent public benefit company, will amend its operating contract with the city for the sole management of projects still tied to the ongoing wind-down of Centre City Development Corporation. CCDC, formed in 1992, was the precursor to Civic and was disbanded by the statewide dissolution of redevelopment agencies in 2012.

Going forward, Civic will continue with in-progress infrastructure and parks projects such as the Park Boulevard crossing and East Village Green, the $46 million park that is in the final planning stages. The agency, which has a staff of 30, will also likely reduce its headcount and shift to a primary focus on community investment programs. It also remains eligible to receive New Markets Tax Credit allocations, which are special tax credits awarded annually by the federal government.

In addition to putting to bed the Baxamusa complaint, the settlement also concludes a 2018 lawsuit from San Diegans for Open Government, which made similar charges against Civic San Diego. City Council will hear the proposed settlement implementation item on June 4. Per state law, it will also have to vote a second time on the matter. City staff anticipate a second decision on June 18 with the rezoning ordinances expected to take effect on July 19.
The city council meeting yesterday had more details. The relationship between Civic and the City will formally dissolve on July 19th, 2019. Downtown project approval authority will not, however, be placed under the Development Services Department (DSD). Instead a new department will be formed within the Smart & Sustainable Communities Division, which would place it on equal footing with DSD and its department head 4th down from the mayor. This department will have the authority to form its own rules/procedures for approving projects, with the guidance that they should be similar to those in place under Civic SD. There will be 9 positions available in the new department, 6 planners and 3 parking staffers (not so coincidentally, the exact same numbers as currently employed by Civic SD). All Civic planners and parking staff are being offered a position in the new department, and "many" have expressed interest in joining. The department will be run out of the former Civic SD planning offices in downtown.

Civic San Diego is dead.... long live Civic San Diego!

RST500 Jun 5, 2019 10:46 PM

Will this PoMo wonderland in San Diego be saved?
An urban mall designed to revive downtown San Diego is set to be destroyed

https://www.curbed.com/2019/6/5/1865...stmodern-jerde

HurricaneHugo Jun 7, 2019 5:09 AM

Does anybody know the status of Tacos El Gordo in Gaslamp and Roscoe's in Barrio Logan?

Both should be open by now but looks like something is holding them up?

SDCAL Jun 8, 2019 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8598138)
Both should be open by now but looks like something is holding them up?

That sounds like the motto of SD development:D

Seriously, wtf is up with 7th/Market?

I know financing is difficult but for that prime of a location I would think they would have it by now.

It’s been 8 months since they resolved the lawsuit, and four months before that they were saying the lawsuit was near resolution. Wouldn’t they have been lining up the financing back then?

Streamliner Jun 11, 2019 11:05 PM

Settlement reached in California Theatre dispute
San Diego Union-Tribune
Philip Molnar
June 11, 2019
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...heatre-dispute

Quote:

Preservationists have struck a deal with a developer that intends to construct a multi-million dollar 41-story condominium tower on the site of the historic theater. The compromise will preserve more of the building’s exterior and lobby, as well as use original ornamentation.

Rising above the former theater, developers have decided on a 474-foot futuristic-style tower designed in partnership with San Diego-based Carrier Johnson + Culture. At 444 units, it would be the largest condominium complex in downtown’s history and rare in the apartment-heavy market.

The new design is expected to be reviewed by downtown planning agency Civic San Diego in July, and then reviewed by the city’s Planning Commission in August or September. The developer’s application said it hopes to start construction in March 2020 and complete it by September 2022.

Instead, the new plan calls for reconstructing the lobby in its entirety. Much of the exterior will be rebuilt to look exactly like it was, but the interior will be modern. Efforts will be made to reuse ornamentation of the building in the new structure. The western wall with a large yellow Caliente horse racing advertisement cannot survive the reconstruction, but the developer will attempt to recreate it.
https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...eatre-main.png

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-theatre-1.png

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-theatre-2.png

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-theatre-5.png

HurricaneHugo Jun 12, 2019 1:33 AM

That's is one sexy tower!

Nice that they were able to agree on a deal

JerellO Jun 12, 2019 9:00 AM

Omg that’s beautiful!! :D hopefully they keep the design as is

IMBY Jun 12, 2019 1:36 PM

It doesn't take much to make a building sexy, just put some curves in it!

gillynova Jun 12, 2019 10:18 PM

That looks amazing. I can't wait to visit San Diego again

Rhodium Jun 13, 2019 12:15 AM

That is a sweet looking building.

HurricaneHugo Jun 14, 2019 4:22 AM

Does anybody know what's going on at the NE corner of 17th and Imperial?

Saw a few excavators there

Will O' Wisp Jun 14, 2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8605148)
Does anybody know what's going on at the NE corner of 17th and Imperial?

Saw a few excavators there

New homeless shelter I believe.

mello Jun 19, 2019 8:09 PM

Confidence on these 5 prominent towers being built

So with the agreement between SOHO and the CA Theatre developers downtown now has 5 prominent towers approved yet not under construction: 7th/Market, Holland Group Courthouse Redev on Broadway, 1st and Beech, Alexan Little Italy, and CA Theatre.

5 being very confident construction will begin in this cycle and 1 being improbable let's gauge your confidence on each of these towers:

7th/Market: 5 Cisterra is solid financing will be announced shortly

Holland Group: 4 time table seems a bit longer due to it being Government land, and they announced construction wouldn't begin until middle of next year

1st and Beech: 3 , Who is this Willmark Company? Have they ever built a tower? This thing has been approved since mid 2016 so three years now. They did just get approval to add more units so maybe that is a sign they are serious and now will get financing soon.

Alexan: 5 Solid company they always follow through have already done one mid rise in East Village

CA Theatre: 3 Company seems really serious wants to be a catalyst on C street have hung in there and fought it out. Don't know if they have ever built a major tower like this before so they are newbies.

---------

In all these 5 towers will transform out Skyline along with Manchester Pac we will have a skyline to be proud of :cheers: Alexan and 1st Beech will bring height to a part of town that really needs it and CA Theatre also will add nice bulk to that section of towers on North East end of downtown.

Our skyline will have 3 solid clusters of towers: East Village, Waterfront, and Symphony Towers Core

Streamliner Jun 19, 2019 8:09 PM

The Port of San Diego authorized the project’s Coastal Development Permit Tuesday, a “momentous” step forward for the long-awaited development

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...r-step-forward

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-cvb-hotel.jpg

Streamliner Jun 19, 2019 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8610332)
So with the agreement between SOHO and the CA Theatre developers downtown now has 5 prominent towers approved yet not under construction: 7th/Market, Holland Group Courthouse Redev on Broadway, 1st and Beech, Alexan Little Italy, and CA Theatre.

5 being very confident construction will begin in this cycle and 1 being improbable let's gauge your confidence on each of these towers:

7th/Market: 5 Cisterra is solid financing will be announced shortly

Holland Group: 4 time table seems a bit longer due to it being Government land, and they announced construction wouldn't begin until middle of next year

1st and Beech: 3 , Who is this Willmark Company? Have they ever built a tower? This thing has been approved since mid 2016 so three years now. They did just get approval to add more units so maybe that is a sign they are serious and now will get financing soon.

Alexan: 5 Solid company they always follow through have already done one mid rise in East Village

CA Theatre: 3 Company seems really serious wants to be a catalyst on C street have hung in there and fought it out. Don't know if they have ever built a major tower like this before so they are newbies.

---------

In all these 5 towers will transform out Skyline along with Manchester Pac we will have a skyline to be proud of :cheers: Alexan and 1st Beech will bring height to a part of town that really needs it and CA Theatre also will add nice bulk to that section of towers on North East end of downtown.

Our skyline will have 3 solid clusters of towers: East Village, Waterfront, and Symphony Towers Core

I'm not confident of anything until I see a building topped out. That said, I'm most optimistic about 7th/Market and Alexan. I'm also optimistic about CA Theatre, but I think I'm confusing optimism with excitement.

SDCAL Jun 19, 2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 8610339)
I'm not confident of anything until I see a building topped out. That said, I'm most optimistic about 7th/Market and Alexan. I'm also optimistic about CA Theatre, but I think I'm confusing optimism with excitement.

7th/Market is the development I’ve been anticipating most since it was announced in 2015. It’s taking sooooooo looooooooooooooooong it’s painful.

I remember when 7th/Market and Park/Market were announced around the same time, projections were that 7th/Market would be way ahead of Park/Market, but the opposite ended up happening.

I know it’s a more complicated site because it’s city owned, but still it’s a snails pace made even more frustrating by the fact that prime site had another huge project planned back in the early 2000s I think it was and it ended up being squashed in some big scandal. I’ve lived near there downtown for a decade and the entire decade that prime spot has been that nasty surface parking lot.

Anyway, enough of my bitching I just hope it actually gets built. I can’t really put a rating on it because I don’t know what the situation is with their financing. I’ve tried to scour the internet to get more information but I can’t find anything. Let’s hope they announce financing soon.

spoonman Jun 20, 2019 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 8610334)
The Port of San Diego authorized the project’s Coastal Development Permit Tuesday, a “momentous” step forward for the long-awaited development

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...r-step-forward

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...-cvb-hotel.jpg

I thought this happened 3 years ago.

mello Jun 20, 2019 6:54 PM

Seriously i remember in 2016 the Port giving the go ahead to this project that is lagging hard as f**k and also remember a 14 floor residential project being approved there in 2015 i believe whatever happened to that. I have dreams for an NFL or MLS stadium going in there.

I think NFL owners will soon force Spanos to sell seeing what a debacle the dolts are in Los Scandolous. New ownership could build the next gen stadium of probably 52k seats on the bay in Chula, would be rad!

spoonman Jun 20, 2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8611510)
Seriously i remember in 2016 the Port giving the go ahead to this project that is lagging hard as f**k and also remember a 14 floor residential project being approved there in 2015 i believe whatever happened to that. I have dreams for an NFL or MLS stadium going in there.

I think NFL owners will soon force Spanos to sell seeing what a debacle the dolts are in Los Scandolous. New ownership could build the next gen stadium of probably 52k seats on the bay in Chula, would be rad!

Mello, I was sort of following the bunglings of the Chargers shortly after their move, but stopped following that over a year ago. Are the Chargers still failing in LA? Would love to hear your commentary on this.

staplesla Jun 23, 2019 5:54 PM

Homebuilding tanks in San Diego County

A historically low number of homes were built in San Diego County in the first three months of 2019.

There were 1,180 residential permits pulled in the first quarter, a drop of 58 percent compared to the same time last year, said the Real Estate Research Council of Southern California. It was the most significant drop of the seven Southern California counties.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...n-diego-county