SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDCAL Dec 17, 2016 4:57 AM

[QUOTE=HurricaneHugo;7648388]https://i.redd.it/rut5nhuial2y.jpg I can kinda see what they were going for with the embarcadero ladscaping. Of course they need to carry it out further but with the developments filling in behind it I can see from the right of the ship the vision of the palm and jicaranda-lined esplanade.

Northparkwizard Dec 17, 2016 8:39 AM

embora Dec 17, 2016 9:43 PM

They're building a crane at the 15th & Island site, presumably for the second tower for that development. The first phase being the Green Bay Packer building.

SDFC Dec 20, 2016 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDFC (Post 7651219)
RE: 7th & Market

"Gonzalez and his fellow plaintiff San Diegans for Responsible Planning are asking that a judge order a stop to the project until all environmental issues are addressed."

Briggs again? Doesn't seem to be any other coverage on this. Is this possibly just a normal occurrence that I'm reading too much into?

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...ul-say-group/#

Well the "smaller 20-story hotel development on Seventh and Island" also named in this article looks to be moving forward. Demo of the old hotel and produce wholesaler facility began late last week. I know that doesn't mean the tower is for sure going up, but I'm going to hold out hope anyway. :cheers:

Boatguy619 Dec 20, 2016 7:55 PM

https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/300/31...60924f1c_k.jpgphotos-1-14 by kevinbeatty, on Flickr

shot some photos of the holiday lights the other night

Boatguy619 Dec 20, 2016 7:56 PM

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/603/31...d59ff4c6_k.jpgphotos-1-3 by kevinbeatty, on Flickr

my favorite view of downtown, really makes the city look dense

Lipani Dec 21, 2016 7:03 PM

Hopefully there will be enough room in the 2018 fiscal budget for the Downtown Mobility Plan.

https://kpbs.media.clients.ellington...0d04a31382c8af

Quote:

2017 Could Bring New Bike Lane Projects To San Diego
By Claire Trageser

In the next year, at least four bike projects will open in the San Diego region, and construction is scheduled on several more.

The year will bring a new segment of the Bayshore Bikeway in National City, a trail along the San Diego River near Qualcomm Stadium and a bikeway along state Route 15. That's according to a project update from the San Diego Association of Governments, the regional planning agency.

Andy Hanshaw, the director of the nonprofit advocacy group San Diego Bike Coalition, received the update and shared it with KPBS.

The list of scheduled projects in 2017 also includes the start of construction on 4th and 5th avenues in Uptown, as well as an extension of the Coastal Rail Trail along Rose Creek. In 2018, construction is slated to begin on bike lanes in Uptown Mission Hills, Old Town, Hillcrest and the Bayshore Bikeway in Barrio Logan, among others.
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2016/dec/21...cts-san-diego/

Northparkwizard Dec 21, 2016 7:29 PM

New Jonathan Segal mixed-use project in Mission Hills, The Fort.

Link with video.

mello Dec 21, 2016 8:52 PM

Wow Segal is on fire, I think he could do one of these on that old strip club that closed on University Ave east of the 805. Obviously El Cajon Blvd is a gold mine of potential lots for these kinds of projects. Whatever happened to all the units that were supposed to be built in the ghetto around Euclid and market have those started yet?

mello Dec 22, 2016 9:16 PM

If Spanknos does decide to leave for Shinglehood SD metro area will be by far the most underserved sports market in the US. 17th largest metro area with just one major sports team will leave a huge void. What do you think the chances of a Kobe, Derek Jeter, Dr Dre group wanting to bring an NBA team here? New AEG arena behind Petco will happen for sure if Dolts cut. Everyone feels sorry for Seattle for losing the Sonics but they still have NFL/MLB. I think NBA will be seriously looking at our market. :cheers:

Boatguy619 Dec 23, 2016 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7659253)
If Spanknos does decide to leave for Shinglehood SD metro area will be by far the most underserved sports market in the US. 17th largest metro area with just one major sports team will leave a huge void. What do you think the chances of a Kobe, Derek Jeter, Dr Dre group wanting to bring an NBA team here? New AEG arena behind Petco will happen for sure if Dolts cut. Everyone feels sorry for Seattle for losing the Sonics but they still have NFL/MLB. I think NBA will be seriously looking at our market. :cheers:

I would rather have NBA than NFL, more games, more attractive venue for events, and more fun to watch. AEG owns the sports arena where the Gulls play and the gulls attendance is second highest in AHL. But is there any links about AEG wanting to build an arena besides the rejected seaport plan? Ben Higgins on abc10 was talking about offering the same $1 per year lease in MV to AEG but I doubt that would happen.

mwm991 Dec 23, 2016 6:25 PM

Which teams are San Diego going to be able to prize away?

They are down the MLS pecking order. What NBA teams are going to go to San Diego? They want to go back to Seattle, cities like KC and Louisville have arenas ready in downtown areas for a team. Hockey? Maybe the best hope if the Ducks get squeezed out with the arrival of 2 NFL teams and also a second MLS team due to come back to the LA area.

San Diego is nowhere near attracting a second major league sports team. The city is nonchalant about losing the Chargers, what sort of image does that send? Its a bad sports city for it's size because there so many other things to do with all the good weather. Look at Cleveland and Pittsburgh for instance, smaller metro areas, but as it is they have 1, possibly 2 additional major league teams over SD in the near future.

ozone Dec 23, 2016 8:07 PM

If you build it they will come...back. Maybe the Clippers can return?

mello Dec 23, 2016 8:18 PM

MWM991: Did you not read my post? If the Dolts bolt then the 17th largest metro in the country will only have the hapless Padres (Tankdres). KC already has MLB/NFL, St. Louis has a really good MLB team/NHL, and Seattle has MLB/NFL. Now do you understand that is a GIANT sports void in a major US Metro area. So we can either steal the Pelicans from New Orleans a completely shit market (When will the Katrina Sympathy period end for them? It's been 12 years time to move on). NO has NFL/NBA.

So Adam Silver will be looking at San Diego and salivating baseball doesn't compete at all with NBA when it comes to scheduling. And yes AEG will be motivated to build an arena in East Village if Spanknos leaves why wouldn't they? I'm sure a Kobe, Jeter, Dr Dre group would love to get in on the action and be a huge face for the franchise. When has SD ever had big names come here and say "We want to do something?" it's never happened. If people see AEG Kobe, Dre, and Jeter say hey we want NBA in SD we will be like holy crap this is HUGE :cheers:

Lipani Dec 23, 2016 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozone (Post 7660116)
If you build it they will come...back. Maybe the Clippers can return?

Not gonna happen. LA is a massive market, Angelenos are crazy for basketball and the Clippers have great attendance.

mwm991 Dec 23, 2016 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7660128)
MWM991: Did you not read my post? If the Dolts bolt then the 17th largest metro in the country will only have the hapless Padres (Tankdres). KC already has MLB/NFL, St. Louis has a really good MLB team/NHL, and Seattle has MLB/NFL. Now do you understand that is a GIANT sports void in a major US Metro area. So we can either steal the Pelicans from New Orleans a completely shit market (When will the Katrina Sympathy period end for them? It's been 12 years time to move on). NO has NFL/NBA.

So Adam Silver will be looking at San Diego and salivating baseball doesn't compete at all with NBA when it comes to scheduling. And yes AEG will be motivated to build an arena in East Village if Spanknos leaves why wouldn't they? I'm sure a Kobe, Jeter, Dr Dre group would love to get in on the action and be a huge face for the franchise. When has SD ever had big names come here and say "We want to do something?" it's never happened. If people see AEG Kobe, Dre, and Jeter say hey we want NBA in SD we will be like holy crap this is HUGE :cheers:

I don't disagree with what you said, in terms of catchment and population its reasonable in terms of size.

I don't get your point about New Orleans, yeah its not a big city on its own nor does it have a big business community, but the region as a whole on the gulf is a decent size without much in the way of competition from other cities like Houston which is the nearest major city over 300 miles away - much of Louisiana, much of Mississippi, areas along the Gulf Coast like Mobile and as far as Pensacola, which is around about 5 million people is centred around New Orleans.

San Diego has a long way to go again to show it can support another major league team, it doesn't just boil down to there being 3m people in the metro area and there being 2m in Cleveland or KC or wherever else.

mello Dec 23, 2016 10:34 PM

The Saints were on the verge of moving to LA before Katrina hit and then of course they couldn't rip the team out after that tragedy. The Pelicans were such a failure the NBA had to take them over. I have no idea why they got NBA in the first place, whoever owned the Charlotte Hornets was just looking for any metro with a new Arena and NO happened to be it so he plopped the team down there.

You really think people consistently drive in from Northern LA, or Mobile to go to Pelicans games? I highly doubt it. The NBA draws the vast majority of their fans from within an hour drive of the arena. San Diego has people working here from TJ to Temecula/Lake Elsinore who could potentially go to games after work.

I don't know what San Diego needs to prove with regards to supporting an NBA team IF the Chargers leave. If Bolts stay then I completely agree with you the NBA won't work here. Plus San Diego does support the Chargers, are you from here have you followed this long stadium saga as closely as I have and know the particulars of it?

If you want to discuss details of why I think SD does support its NFL team and if the owner/situation had been a bit different we would have had a new stadium long ago. Plus the loss of NFL if they leave I think will be a shock to the system of this area and people will be like "shit we have to get off our ass and do something." (Work with AEG let them build arena behind Petco/Busyard) What about an Arena with highrise tech/office space?

mwm991 Dec 23, 2016 10:54 PM

There are worse supported teams in the NBA than the Pelicans. Their tv market is also reasonable. The Saints are very well supported, and lets be honest, do you think San Diego in the near future is in a position to steal a team from anyone at the front? Like I said, there are arenas, ready and built in central locations in cities like KC and Louisville.

I don't think the NFL should leave San Diego, because LA is a volatile market where they had their fingers burnt in the past when they had 2 teams in there. Spanos' pockets are nowhere as deep as Kroenke's and San Diego is a good town with corporate support and with decent attendance and a candidate for a Super Bowl. The apathy of the residents to contribute tax money to this, understandably, is what is going to lose them their team. To answer your question, no, I don't live in San Diego, but I have been to Qualcomm and whilst not quite the Oakland Coliseum bad, its very tired and out dated.

I think the best hope is either the Ducks getting squeezed out, an MLS long shot or who knows, another desperate NFL team. It would not surprise me down the line if the Chargers after failing in LA look to scuttle back down the road or to the next town that'll take them.

Sports teams are always wanting something for nothing and regardless of the league, the next team in line will be sniffing around the tax payer for a bung in constructing a stadium or an arena, so I guess the residents if they feel the want or deserve another sports team are going to have to stick their fans in their pocket eventually, to some degree.

spoonman Dec 23, 2016 10:59 PM

There was a story the other day about AEG looking at the downtown site next to Petco for a new arena. The story suggested that AEG would bring the Anaheim Ducks to play in SD.

ucsbgaucho Dec 23, 2016 11:11 PM

The best chance for NFL back in San Diego is with the Jaguars... new(ish) rich owner who doesn't like Jville, the team has terrible support, but you'd have to get a stadium approved and ready to build. I could see the city selling the Q site to SDSU and letting them build a 25,000 seat football/MLS stadium for the Aztecs and then utilize the rest of the space for campus needs. An NBA arena needs far less space and money, Vegas fit one in right between two hotels basically, and needs much less parking. A spot next to or near Petco would be amazing, as would a waterfront location, but that's probably impossible. If the Q land gets redistributed to someone else, I don't know where you're looking at for a new football stadium, you're probably looking at one of the suburbs again like Phoenix did for it's stadium. It'll have to be fully privately financed and then you'll see the Oceansides, Escondidos or Chula Vistas jump at the chance.