SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Final Cost of CMHR? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171943)

Jets4Life Jul 28, 2009 11:20 PM

Final Cost of CMHR?

My bet is $488 million....

grumpy old man Jul 28, 2009 11:56 PM

With all due respect this is a stupid question/poll. Define what these costs are to represent.

Construction costs only?
Construction costs plus annual operating costs for "X" years?
Construction costs plus annual operating costs plus exhibit development costs?

Then after this futile exercise is completed start a poll that asks if we should fund other museums; art galleries; sports facilities and teams; etc...

For example, should we invest one cent into the Blue Bombers Stadium? How about a government fund for bringing NHL hockey back to Winnipeg. Should the taxpayer pay one cent for that?

Jets4Life Jul 29, 2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy old man (Post 4379331)
With all due respect this is a stupid question/poll. Define what these costs are to represent.

Construction costs only?
Construction costs plus annual operating costs for "X" years?
Construction costs plus annual operating costs plus exhibit development costs?

Then after this futile exercise is completed start a poll that asks if we should fund other museums; art galleries; sports facilities and teams; etc...

For example, should we invest one cent into the Blue Bombers Stadium? How about a government fund for bringing NHL hockey back to Winnipeg. Should the taxpayer pay one cent for that?

Just a hunch. I take it you are not part of the 91% of Winnipeggers who do not want any more tax dollars going into this White Elephant.

grumpy old man Jul 29, 2009 12:52 AM

91% Where do these numbers come from? Are you Marty Gold??? :sly:

In any event, never assume anything. What annoys me, and greatly concerns me, is there seems to be a bias against this particular museum. I do not recall the same firestorm against any other public spending on non-essential initiatives. Including other museums in Winnipeg. That bothers me.

The comments made against the people involved is not warranted. That bothers me.

But tell me. If the same money were to be made available to the Aspers to bring an NHL team to Winnipeg would you support that?

Pegger5 Jul 29, 2009 1:26 AM

yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy old man (Post 4379439)
91% Where do these numbers come from? Are you Marty Gold??? :sly:

In any event, never assume anything. What annoys me, and greatly concerns me, is there seems to be a bias against this particular museum. I do not recall the same firestorm against any other public spending on non-essential initiatives. Including other museums in Winnipeg. That bothers me.

The comments made against the people involved is not warranted. That bothers me.

But tell me. If the same money were to be made available to the Aspers to bring an NHL team to Winnipeg would you support that?

Of course he would support that for NHL . double standard!!!

trueviking Jul 29, 2009 3:42 AM

oh boy...here we go again....geez, move on big guy...have you nothing else to obsess about?

even if it ends up costing the government another 100 mil, that is only 4 years worth of operating costs and is such a miniscule amount of money in the overall picture that it wont affect anyone's life at all....your taxes wont go up...no programmes will be cancelled to pay for it.

there are lots of things i dont love having my tax dollars pay for, (4bil for 4 transport airplanes, 500mil for the floodway expansion, 50mil for route 90 underpass, 12mil for chipman's private business) but i eventually just accept it and move on....seriously man...you need counciling.

Jets4Life Jul 29, 2009 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy old man (Post 4379439)
91% Where do these numbers come from?

This Poll

Total Votes: 593
Yes: 9%
No : 91%

Looks like I struck a nerve. The 9% of Winnipeggers who support additional taxpayers money are about to lynch me! :haha:

trueviking Jul 29, 2009 4:57 AM

when you beat a dead horse, you are bound to hit a nerve or two i suppose.

drew Jul 29, 2009 5:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 4379864)
This Poll

Looks like I struck a nerve. The 9% of Winnipeggers who support additional taxpayers money are about to lynch me! :haha:

Awesome. Let's take a poll from the Winnipeg Sun, a well known "moderate" daily, that was participated by a whopping 593 people (across the internet mind you, not necessarily Winnipeggers) and extrapolate that data to form the conclusion that this is representative of the the remaining 650,000 or so Winnipeggers who didn't feel the need to participate in said poll.

You sir, have a future in stats. Or becoming one of Brodbecks blog cronies...

Jets4Life Jul 29, 2009 6:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 4379907)
Awesome. Let's take a poll from the Winnipeg Sun, a well known "moderate" daily, that was participated by a whopping 593 people (across the internet mind you, not necessarily Winnipeggers) and extrapolate that data to form the conclusion that this is representative of the the remaining 650,000 or so Winnipeggers who didn't feel the need to participate in said poll.

That's funny. CBC did a story on the CMHR, and how Gail Asper was asking the Provincial Government for an extra $45 million. Out of 50 comments, only 3 or 4 were pro-museum. However, I suppose CBC ian't a "credible" news source. :koko:

1ajs Jul 29, 2009 7:16 AM

quiet a few people probly don't give a rats ass either way

grumpy old man Jul 29, 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 4379864)
This Poll

I suspected you were using such a source. This is your idea of a scientific poll representative of Winnipeg?

And you did not answer the Jet's/NHL question.

This leads me to believe a couple things. You are an idiot and a hypocrite? But I don't know you and I'm new here so I won't say that.

Jets4Life Jul 29, 2009 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy old man (Post 4380139)
I suspected you were using such a source. This is your idea of a scientific poll representative of Winnipeg?

And you did not answer the Jet's/NHL question.

This leads me to believe a couple things. You are an idiot and a hypocrite? But I don't know you and I'm new here so I won't say that.

Easy there, Billy....

drew Jul 29, 2009 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 4380012)
That's funny. CBC did a story on the CMHR, and how Gail Asper was asking the Provincial Government for an extra $45 million. Out of 50 comments, only 3 or 4 were pro-museum. However, I suppose CBC ian't a "credible" news source. :koko:

I'm sorry, maybe I am missing something, but this response certainly doesn't help your argument regarding the accuracy of the "stats" that you are using to form your conclusions.

Web polls, web comments, etc. regardless of the source don't mean jack.

grumpy old man Jul 29, 2009 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 4380525)
Easy there, Billy....

I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage.

Anywho, still no answer on the Jets/NHL question. That means of course that you approve the money for the Jets but disapprove the same money for the Museum.

I get it now. So its both eh?

Pootkao Jul 30, 2009 12:15 AM

This is lame.

The museum is a great thing.

Get over it.

Sometimes you gotta spend a pile of money on something great. Why don't you go cry wolf over stuff that is worth your effort?

You sound like a North Kildonan grandmother.

mjpaul Jul 30, 2009 4:00 AM

Scandalous!.....The 1/2 billion dollars for Holocaust Taj Mahal could help a lot of starving people.

grumpy old man Jul 30, 2009 4:02 AM

Holocaust? This is a holocaust museum?

Rudiger Jul 30, 2009 5:04 AM

I shall fancy a guess that it'll cost eleventy billion dollars to build.

And it'll require the blood and souls of each first born Winnipeg son just to keep the lights on.

Oh, and it'll reduce to the rest of the city to nothing more than a scorched wasteland, where warlords will run free and the Tower of Hope will dominant the skyline, striking fear into the hearts of everyone, just as Saruman's Eye plagued the inhabitants of Middle Earth.

Clearly, the worst thing that has ever happened to this city.

:rolleyes:

Jets4Life Jul 30, 2009 5:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjpaul (Post 4381644)
Scandalous!.....The 1/2 billion dollars for Holocaust Taj Mahal could help a lot of starving people.

Finally, someone with common sense enters the debate. These pro-CMHR posters have been drinking too much of Gail's Kool-Aid. Clearly they are in denial, and are too stubborn to admit that they are were wrong about this shady Museum...