SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   The next highrise to be built Winnipeg? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146642)

Only The Lonely.. Feb 27, 2008 2:53 AM

The next highrise to be built Winnipeg?

With Hydro winding down, I thought this might make for an interesting debate.

Where will Winnipeg's next highrise tower be built? And when?

Only The Lonely.. Feb 27, 2008 2:57 AM

Just to clarify, when I refer to the CMHR i'm talking about the twenty something story observation deck.

Although not technically a skyscraper, it will noticeably add to the skyline.

Only The Lonely.. Feb 27, 2008 2:58 AM

Damn, on second thought I probably should have added the Edgewood apartment proposal in there as well.

I suppose we could also include the fabled Lakewood proposal too. Although, it seems like we've been talking about this one for a couple of years now.

JayM Feb 27, 2008 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. (Post 3380791)
Damn, on second thought I probably should have added the Edgewood apartment proposal in there as well.

I suppose we could also include the fabled Lakewood proposal too. Although, it seems like we've been talking about this one for a couple of years now.

i think the portage place towers, would be a nice addition to the skyline with the right style applied to them. otherwise it would be a mess to have 2 more radission/delta hotel looking buildings allover again.

Biff Feb 27, 2008 3:11 PM

The next high rise will probably be the 16 storey Dubrovnik proposal by Ernie Walter. I hear that is seems to be moving through the approval process nicely. I also believe the museum will start by the end of the year.

Greco Roman Feb 27, 2008 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 3381492)
The next high rise will probably be the 16 storey Dubrovnik proposal by Ernie Walter. I hear that is seems to be moving through the approval process nicely. I also believe the museum will start by the end of the year.

But is this really considered a highrise?

Biff Feb 27, 2008 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greco Roman (Post 3381501)
But is this really considered a highrise?

Well....highrise yes, skyscraper - no.

1ajs Feb 27, 2008 8:30 PM

i think we could see the cmhr and the MSH Assiniboine go up at the same time lol

the oirtage place towers are probly another 2 or years away befor we realy see any action on that....

drew Feb 27, 2008 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 3381492)

I am still a little skeptical on the Dubrovnik proposal. I have driven past a number of largish projects by Walter that all seem to be stalled currently. Most notably is that condo conversion on the fringes of the exchange (visible from Notre Dame)...

The Jabroni Feb 27, 2008 10:47 PM

For me, it's hard to say. The Human Rights Museum can be noticeable, but to me, it's not a classic highrise like the Canwest Tower.

We need more erections around here! (Yes, I said it. Bite me!)

1ajs Feb 27, 2008 11:20 PM

bahahaa ^^^

Boreal Feb 27, 2008 11:22 PM

MSH Assiniboine - although I imagine the CMHR will be right behind it. Hopefully something is done to get Crystal Properties on the board as well (ie. 100 Main St. perhaps getting green-lighted).

hexrae Feb 28, 2008 3:44 AM

Pure speculation: 100 Main

Once the "Friends" fail in their quest and decide to work with the developer, there'll be a quick turnaround to get both projects completed. Kind of a, "Ok, enough of this shit, let's get 'er done" attitude.

It makes so much sense, which is something this city needs to start making more of.

Only The Lonely.. Feb 28, 2008 4:29 PM

Although i'd be delighed to see a new tower / fort at 100 Main.

My own prediction is that Ruben Spletzer takes his proposal to Portage Place and builds on one of the pads, the friends fail, and the lot at 100 main sits empty for at least another generation.