SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | 1603 Broadway | 20 Floors | 255 Feet | Proposed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231698)

JACKinBeantown Apr 29, 2018 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8170733)
Maybe I’m just lacking in vision but I was expecting the changes to be a bit more dramatic.

Other than the pool it mostly looks the same.

I wasn't. It's pretty much what I was expecting... more detail on a very average design. Something you'd expect in the outskirts of Houston.

Fryguy Apr 29, 2018 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8171155)
The top section is really throwing me for a loop.

The renderings almost make it look like that section is a bit transparent—as if they’re just showing the massing and they’ll figure out the exterior later.

I can’t quite tell if it’s glass, or steel, or if there’s some kind of extra facade.

I see what you mean. Interestingly, however, I remember the historical review board stating that they wanted the crown to be changed to something more unique; to something that would stand out. I'm not sure they addressed that here.

Either way, one thing can definitely be said about this project - it is perhaps the first tall building in or near downtown to be fast tracked like this at current. I am guessing they feel something big developments are coming and they want in on being the first to provide high end office space, other than the new Frost Tower. I have said it many times before and I will say it again here: We should hear about something major coming to downtown SA by year end. If we don't, then this building boom will be short lived and all we can do is hope for another building boom in the near future. I'm not in the business, but forecasting and analyzing are all about the same. I am just hoping for something in the W. Pecan St. and N. Flores St. area - traffic isn't too bad, nearby parks and retail are developing for future workers, and revitalized streets and sidewalks are currently or soon to be in the works. Too bad that hotel in front of Weston Centre pulled out, that would have helped jump start the area.

N8TVTXN Apr 29, 2018 3:12 PM

The modifications to the building are subtle, but do add dimension to the structure. The vertical enhancements on the upper floors of the building are reminiscent of the new Silverline center in Tysons Corner, VA. This building is beautifully lit at night and adds interest to the suburban landscape.
http://www.silverlinecenter.com/gallery.html

JACKinBeantown Apr 29, 2018 8:03 PM

The updated design elements move the building into the realm of being not embarrassing, but it's still nothing to get excited about. The top could use some tapering... that would help polish the turd a little more.

AwesomeSAView Apr 29, 2018 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8TVTXN (Post 8171236)
The modifications to the building are subtle, but do add dimension to the structure. The vertical enhancements on the upper floors of the building are reminiscent of the new Silverline center in Tysons Corner, VA. This building is beautifully lit at night and adds interest to the suburban landscape.

If this development is lit like this at night, very nice!!!:cheers:

And that's something you do NOT see on the outskirts of Houston.:slob:

Fryguy Apr 29, 2018 9:35 PM

Quote:

Wow! Thanks for adding this. I love that building!

UltraDanPrime Apr 29, 2018 9:54 PM

@JACKinBT, embarrassing really?! I really like reading your posts, don't always agree, but hey! we all have our own opinions, that being said, do you really think it's that bad?!

micahinsa Apr 29, 2018 10:00 PM

I really like what Pelli Clarke (the same architect doing the Frost here in SA) did with McKinney and Olive in Dallas:

http://pcparch.com/project/mckinney-olive

It's got a larger footprint to work with, but it's basically the same height (20 floors) as this project, and is a stunner. There's also a really lovely green space streetside that interacts well with the parking garage:

https://i.imgur.com/Zx3DQGM.jpg

UltraDanPrime Apr 29, 2018 11:00 PM

☝️that's cool

JACKinBeantown Apr 30, 2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime (Post 8171462)
@JACKinBT, embarrassing really?! I really like reading your posts, don't always agree, but hey! we all have our own opinions, that being said, do you really think it's that bad?!

Than you, and likewise... I appreciate your posts too.

I said it's not embarrassing. And yeah, that one in Dallas is cool. :cheers:

micahinsa Apr 30, 2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 8170829)
It was a two week window, dramatic changes were not going to happen. There not going to just scrap their plans and re-design this development.

What was the rush?

Why did they have to get it in by the next HDRC? Why not wait a month? Or two months?

Or however long it takes to get this right?

Spoiler Apr 30, 2018 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8171825)
What was the rush?

Why did they have to get it in by the next HDRC? Why not wait a month? Or two months?

Time is money.

jaga185 Apr 30, 2018 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 8171842)
Time is money.

If Gensler is the developer, I'm sure they want to get this knocked out very fast. They always get their stuff built up quickly..

JACKinBeantown Apr 30, 2018 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 8171858)
If Gensler is the developer, I'm sure they want to get this knocked out very fast. They always get their stuff built up quickly..

Less time spent on design means a quicker finished project. That seems to be their motto.

Rynetwo Apr 30, 2018 2:16 PM

A lot of the people on the forum like the development design.

JACKinBeantown Apr 30, 2018 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rynetwo (Post 8171899)
A lot of the people on the forum like the development design.

That is a true statement.

Sigaven Apr 30, 2018 2:40 PM

So much better than the original. It's still a pretty blah office building but still handsome and will add nicely to that area. I'm glad they added extra interest in the glass box volume, with the vertical elements and breaking up of the windows. I can see the vertical pieces lit at night to create something quite beautiful.

sirkingwilliam Apr 30, 2018 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8171825)
What was the rush?

Why would the developers tak months off to redesign their development just because you don’t like it? Think about that for a second.

They’ve invested millions into this already and have a timeline for it. They needed to get the design approved by HDRC so they did as they were asked and resubmitted. There’s a very long process they have to follow and this is one of the steps.

JACKinBeantown May 1, 2018 12:50 AM

I realize that there are several people here who like the design of this building. I respect your opinion 100%. I'll say what I said before in different words: the re-design of this building makes it something that will be a strong addition to the neighborhood. I would prefer it have a more interesting design, but all the elements are there to make it something nice to be in and walk by: ground level retail and street interaction, a nice interior I'm sure, and probably some high quality glass. That's all good. But wouldn't it be nice to have something to somehow complement Frost on an equal level?

Spoiler May 1, 2018 1:05 AM

Considering it's literally up against a freeway intersection maybe the blunt instrument approach is more fitting compared to something refined and elegant. More like a buffer building. Yeah, I like that.

KevinFromTexas May 1, 2018 2:15 PM

Quote:

I love that. Those lights remind me of meteors. I know that new technology can sometimes lend to redundant designs from city to city, but damn, I would love to see that on at least a couple of buildings in Austin. Besides hiding the ugh of parking podiums, those lights could really accent the design of a building on say, setbacks where you wanted a vertical emphasis at night.

jaga185 May 3, 2018 1:33 AM

HDRC Greenlights Major Hotel-Office Tower on Lower Broadway

Quote:

After months of tinkering with the design and incorporating feedback from officials, a local development firm on Wednesday received preliminary approval from the City’s Historic and Design Review Commission to start work on a 20-story building that will feature floors of retail, office, and hotel space.

RobertS4 May 3, 2018 1:46 AM

I just saw the post and this is great news. All these projects has got me excited about watching the changing skyline.

UltraDanPrime May 3, 2018 2:24 AM

This is great news

sirkingwilliam May 5, 2018 1:09 PM

Here is an overview of where 1603 Broadway is in relation to all the property Grey Street Partners owns on Broadway as well as off Broadway in the Government Hill district.

Grey Street has big plans for the Government Hill land.

The yellow outline is the Silver Venture lower Broadway office development that will soon be the new HQ for Credit Human.

texboy May 5, 2018 6:44 PM

I feel as though this is the beginnings of a second skyline here, no? Obviously not the same size as say the Galleria in Houston, but akin to that. Pretty cool.

micahinsa May 5, 2018 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texboy (Post 8177935)
I feel as though this is the beginnings of a second skyline here, no? Obviously not the same size as say the Galleria in Houston, but akin to that. Pretty cool.

I don’t see why this would count as a second, different skyline. This is basically still in the urban core. The Galleria is almost 10 miles from downtown Houston; this area is less than a mile from the Alamo.

This should be part of the basic urban core skyline. Especially if they start building up on Broadway, I would think that whatever they do here will be an extension of the downtown skyline, not separate from it.

wwmiv May 6, 2018 1:59 AM

I do hope that GreyStreet saves some of the historic architecture along Broadway across the street from this particular tower or at the very least integrates and rehabs the current facades.

theOGalexd May 6, 2018 3:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texboy (Post 8177935)

Probably more like Midtown Phoenix

wwmiv May 6, 2018 4:12 AM

Or West Campus in Austin, but with the private sector being a larger driver. After all, SAC, Trinity, and Incarnate Word were early drivers of some of the denser multi-family residential outside of the Pearl proper (but within the vicinity).

Keep-SA-Lame May 6, 2018 3:02 PM

Dang, I knew those guys owned a lot of land in Midtown, but that's even more than I thought! Thanks for the maps. very exciting.

deeger May 7, 2018 5:43 PM

Another article with more renderings:
https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...-office-tower/

KevinFromTexas May 18, 2018 11:43 AM

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...|Text|&Search=

Site plan with the stacking plan, plus the renderings we've already seen.

Spoiler May 21, 2018 10:37 PM

“San Antonio has had a decades-long history of building mediocre, mid-rise office buildings with a mediocre, mid-rise hotel next to it,” Neff said, noting that this will instead be a building that is “going to be admired by its neighbors.”

https://therivardreport.com/board-to...wer-go-for-it/

Restless 1 May 22, 2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 8195198)
“San Antonio has had a decades-long history of building mediocre, mid-rise office buildings with a mediocre, mid-rise hotel next to it,” Neff said, noting that this will instead be a building that is “going to be admired by its neighbors.”

'Nuff said! :cheers:

Looks like Neff Sho 'Nuff it the nail on the head. :tup:

AwesomeSAView May 22, 2018 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 8195198)

Finally, someone speaking out! This is a major BREAKTHROUGH!!!:cheers:
This building will look AWESOME!:cheers:

Restless 1 May 22, 2018 3:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 8195437)
Finally, someone speaking out! This is a major BREAKTHROUGH!!!:cheers:
This building will look AWESOME!:cheers:

As often as we seem at odds, I have to agree. Perhaps a paradigm shift is coming, and a willingness to engage with the big boys. Mediocre has been the flag of San Antonio for too long. :notacrook:

KevinFromTexas May 22, 2018 7:39 AM

The design for me right now is so so. It just looks like generic modern architecture. I'm actually not a fan of modern architecture because its simplicity sometimes can make it a bit boring. San Antonio has better buildings outside of downtown than this design that are 3 decades old. You guys seriously have some of the best postmodern non-downtown buildings in the state. Suburban office buildings sometimes can be boring, but San Antonio seriously has some really nice postmodern office buildings.

JACKinBeantown May 22, 2018 11:43 AM

I did a Google search of "I-10 Houston suburban office buildings". This fits right in.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.fuDFNE1cKqU

Rynetwo May 22, 2018 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 8195580)
I did a Google search of "I-10 Houston suburban office buildings". This fits right in.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.fuDFNE1cKqU

It would fit in there and it will bring modern to lower Broadway in San Antonio.

FYI almost all of the I-10 buildings have separate garages behind them and this one will not.

JACKinBeantown May 22, 2018 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rynetwo (Post 8195672)
It would fit in there and it will bring modern to lower Broadway in San Antonio.

I don't fall into the "modern is always good" camp. Sometimes it is... if it's imaginative and works well with its established surroundings. Frost Tower is modern and is amazing. This is not in the same league as Frost. It's not butt-ugly, but it's far from jaw-dropping gorgeous too. I give it a 5 out of 10.

UltraDanPrime May 22, 2018 2:22 PM

Is the opinion that it will fit in on I10 in Houston a complement or put down? I don't understand why we are talking about I10 in Houston.

JACKinBeantown May 22, 2018 2:31 PM

Put down. But it would complement what is already there.

Fryguy May 22, 2018 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 8192155)
https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...|Text|&Search=

Site plan with the stacking plan, plus the renderings we've already seen.

Damnit! That sucks. Apparently, the breaks in the glass are not LEDs. I thought the breaks in the glass were going to be LEDs ;( (page 33). Well, I hope they add some kind of cool lighting effect to the building. It would definitely stand out more, especially against the highway and the overall darkness of the area.

Rynetwo May 22, 2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 8195717)
Put down. But it would complement what is already there.

For you maybe, I like driving into Houston from Katy and seeing all the varying styles of modern design.

That said, I like this building for the spot it is being built. I like the moden style because I like the overall project. (Not because I want modern)

UltraDanPrime May 23, 2018 3:14 AM

For sure Rynetwo. Made that drive a handful of times myself, & your spot on. That's why I was kinda perplexed by the comment.

JACKinBeantown May 23, 2018 11:33 AM

I appreciate that drive into Houston too. It's the first real feel of tallish buildings in a very tall city. But the architecture is lacking when compared to others, in my opinion. That's how I feel about this building too. Am I happy it's going up? Yes. Is it as good as Frost or the Tower Life? Not by a long shot.

KevinFromTexas May 23, 2018 11:46 AM

I think the comment is more an observation of that style of architecture being redundant since it's been done in so many cities. Admittedly, there are some buildings like that in Austin that I cringe about since they're not original, for example, glass box X 20 = meh.

I think the building will look ok. I'm sure the facade will be nice. My main gripe is the flat roof. That's really the thing that bugs me about modern architecture. It's building tops that make them stand out.

jaga185 May 23, 2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 8196723)
I think the comment is more an observation of that style of architecture being redundant since it's been done in so many cities. Admittedly, there are some buildings like that in Austin that I cringe about since they're not original, for example, glass box X 20 = meh.

I think the building will look ok. I'm sure the facade will be nice. My main gripe is the flat roof. That's really the thing that bugs me about modern architecture. It's building tops that make them stand out.

Agreed. They could easily build like something like this, little spear type thing sticking out from the top, over 281/35. That would be pretty neat hanging over the street to the south. This is the best example i could find in my head. :haha:
https://media1.tenor.com/images/aae4...temid=11017829

KevinFromTexas May 23, 2018 1:51 PM

^Well, ok then. :haha: I mean, there are buildings in Downtown Austin that I don't think are worthy of their location because of their design, and I wish I could exile them to more suburban locales outside of downtown where they'd be more impressive. Their height would at least be something in those areas but in downtown, their design just doesn't cut it.