SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | The Harper | 272 FT | 24 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211081)

volguus zildrohar Jun 13, 2018 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 8219274)
I have no concern for the past.
That's behind us.
The future is why SSP is here.

All :new: skyscrapers = the future.
It is obvious that this building will be mostly hidden from view from afar.
But from the street level, this will be nicer than a short little McDonald's.

Please tell me that this is a facetious statement.

Milksteak Jun 13, 2018 6:42 PM

I hear Independence Mall has some prime real estate for the pickin'

City Wide Jun 14, 2018 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 8219274)
I have no concern for the past.
That's behind us.
The future is why SSP is here.

All :new: skyscrapers = the future.
It is obvious that this building will be mostly hidden from view from afar.
But from the street level, this will be nicer than a short little McDonald's.

just checking-----do you also pass as Ori Feibush in another setting?
What would you suggest we do with City Hall, after all it's just a big pile of stone?

TechTalkGuy Jun 14, 2018 5:46 PM

:previous: Please refrain from taking my words out of context.
Your question makes as much logical sense as replacing Independence Hall for a skyscraper.

Insoluble Jun 14, 2018 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 8221141)
:previous: Please refrain from taking my words out of context.
Your question makes as much logical sense as replacing Independence Hall for a skyscraper.

How is that out of context? The context the statement was made in was as a reply to a post mentioning that the historic Boyd theater was lost to make way for this generic box. Other folks are rightly calling you out on that. The Boyd is gone and there's nothing that can be done about that now, but that doesn't mean that we can't lament the fact that a unique historic building was lost here or that we should pretend that the bland-ass building being constructed it is a worthy replacement. You can disagree, but people will call you out on it. Maybe some posters were being a bit snarky in the way they expressed that, but it's nothing personal.

TechTalkGuy Jun 14, 2018 10:09 PM

:previous: When you’re ready to post about The Harper, go right ahead.

You can like/dislike any opinion without offending anyone.

I guarantee that if this conversation were in person, there would (most likely) be no misunderstandings & everyone will be smiling. ;)

Try it, you might like it. :)

MikeNigh Jun 15, 2018 3:28 AM

https://kek.gg/i/7-ZYCN.jpg

Milksteak Jun 15, 2018 12:49 PM

^That perspective really highlights how underwhelming this is going to be. Ugh....it's prime real estate.

McBane Jun 15, 2018 1:06 PM

^ Underhwleming based on what? The design that no one is sure about or the height, despite it's not yet topped out? I don't love this building - indeed the last renderings we saw were not great at all. But just trying to get a better read on your comment. It looks like it will be the tallest building in the immediate vicinity (until the Laurel is built).

Milksteak Jun 15, 2018 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBane (Post 8222008)
^ Underhwleming based on what? The design that no one is sure about or the height, despite it's not yet topped out? I don't love this building - indeed the last renderings we saw were not great at all. But just trying to get a better read on your comment. It looks like it will be the tallest building in the immediate vicinity (until the Laurel is built).

Underwhelming based on every rendering I've seen (bar maybe the very first rendering from ages ago), I'm under the impression that what we have on the first page is what we're getting. It's fine, I don't hate it....but they've slashed the height significantly, and if we are truly getting a 272 footer here, I think this area deserves more. It is right smack dab in the middle of center city.

Scottydont Jun 15, 2018 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBane (Post 8222008)

Exactly. Will it change the skyline? No. Will it be taller or on par with it's neighbors? Yes.

Depending upon their materials, should be decent infill.

TechTalkGuy Jun 15, 2018 5:37 PM

Really good perspective here! :tup:

Now that I finally see its proximity to the central core, my opinion is that this was clearly a missed opportunity!! :rolleyes:

Face it folks:
  • Average Design
  • Short Height

hammersklavier Jun 16, 2018 4:28 AM

The real missed opportunity with this building was not being able to put the main mass along Chestnut. It's a bummer. Once the Laurel gets built, that stretch of Sansom will be cold, cold, cold, the way Wall Street is.

Other than that, the building is similar to East Market and it's surrounded by similarly dense apartment buildings. What we need is to get the parking lots in the area also filled by such buildings.

GtownFriend Jun 16, 2018 5:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 8222941)
The real missed opportunity with this building was not being able to put the main mass along Chestnut.

Agreed.

Quote:

Once the Laurel gets built, that stretch of Sansom will be cold, cold, cold, the way Wall Street is.

This bit I don't get? The renderings for the Harper show a grocery store along Sansom, replacing the blank rear wall of the old Boyd (may she rest in peace). On the other side the Laurel has a half block of retail as well, replacing a parking lot.

It seems like this would suggest a more active streetscape than what is/was there. Am I missing something?

Jawnadelphia Jun 18, 2018 2:00 PM

Maybe it's not going to be a tall tower, but it will be seen from a few Market Street locations.

http:////c1.staticflickr.com/2/1731/...a6f3f11d_b.jpg

Jawnadelphia Jun 18, 2018 2:03 PM

Also, when 1911 Walnut - Laurel gets built - it will dwarf the Harper building, and basically steal the show - visually speaking. This building will be nice infill, nothing wrong with that.

SEFTA Jun 18, 2018 5:15 PM

Yes, the very first rendering would have fit perfectly in this hole. It would have been a great pairing with The Laurel. Now, it will depend on the finish materials. It still makes a respectable showing. 24 stories it says on page 1.

McBane Jun 18, 2018 6:06 PM

Quote:

The real missed opportunity with this building was not being able to put the main mass along Chestnut. It's a bummer. Once the Laurel gets built, that stretch of Sansom will be cold, cold, cold, the way Wall Street is.

Other than that, the building is similar to East Market and it's surrounded by similarly dense apartment buildings. What we need is to get the parking lots in the area also filled by such buildings.

Yes agreed. Who's idea was that and why? Chestnut is not the narrow, one-lane street that would be overwhelmed by height. Frankly, it will look idiotic.

jsbrook Jun 18, 2018 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GtownFriend (Post 8222961)
Agreed.

This bit I don't get? The renderings for the Harper show a grocery store along Sansom, replacing the blank rear wall of the old Boyd (may she rest in peace). On the other side the Laurel has a half block of retail as well, replacing a parking lot.

It seems like this would suggest a more active streetscape than what is/was there. Am I missing something?

I think he's saying the towers will overwhelm such a tiny street and also block all the light (if that'snot what he's saying, I'm not sure what the point is supposed to be). I don't think they will, though. The tower portion does not front much of Sansom. Much of the construction is just two stories. Similarly, the tower portion of the Laurel does not abut Sansom at all. It's all the lowrise retail portion of the building that abuts Sansom and the tower is set back on Walnut to Moravian.

Jawnadelphia Jun 20, 2018 12:38 PM

Harper rising on lower left:

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram...50361600_n.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj5C5oEh...adam_englehart