SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   ATLANTA | Viewpoint | 501 FT / 153 M | 36 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107747)

gttx Dec 4, 2006 5:50 PM

Is it just me or does construction on this thing seem to be creeping along at a snail's pace? I know they're doing the parking deck, but I would guess that they've done about 1 floor/month since construction began.

whiplash3825 Dec 23, 2006 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gttx (Post 2489918)
Is it just me or does construction on this thing seem to be creeping along at a snail's pace? I know they're doing the parking deck, but I would guess that they've done about 1 floor/month since construction began.

I guess it's just you! :haha:

But you're right, checking the web cam archive pretty much indicates they're progressing at about a floor a month. It seemed about the same with Twelve Centennial, and I think I remember Spire's deck going pretty slow also. I guess those floor grades, thicker floors and extra rebar add a lot to the construction time. Then again, tell that to 3344 Peachtree... it seems they've thrown that up in two months!

MarketsWork Dec 23, 2006 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gttx (Post 2489918)

It's just you. Viewpoint's parking-garage base is the most complicated part of the building to form and pour, and takes more time than the regular floor plates will. You might remember that the base of TwelveCP seemed to take forever for the same reason, but then the residential tower started to climb at the rate of one floor per week. Viewpoint has a very large base (about 9 parking levels, I think), but should really fly once that part is completed. Patience!

Buck Dec 26, 2006 9:21 PM

Yes, it will pick up soon.

ATLskyline Jan 5, 2007 6:07 AM

a pic from last thursday courtesy of john3eblover

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...nstruction.jpg

john3eblover Jan 5, 2007 6:46 AM

I never realized ATLskyline that you are from Berkely Lake. I was out there a few times this summer, its very unique, especially for that whole area. cool place though

ATLskyline Jan 5, 2007 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john3eblover (Post 2547280)
I never realized ATLskyline that you are from Berkely Lake. I was out there a few times this summer, its very unique, especially for that whole area. cool place though

Thanks for taking the pics I borrowed. Yeah it is a nice area, I like living there.

ATLmangum Jan 16, 2007 9:42 PM

Does anyone know if the second (shorter) tower is going to be on the North or South side of the one going up now?

Atlriser Jan 16, 2007 9:54 PM

My understanding is the second tower is to the South of this one and will front the Juniper side of the block instead of Peachtree.

MarketsWork Jan 16, 2007 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLmangum (Post 2568293)
Does anyone know if the second (shorter) tower is going to be on the North or South side of the one going up now?

The site plan places the second tower in the southeast part of the block, situated parallel to the main tower and perpendicular to Juniper Street. The north end of the block includes the old Neal Reid apartment building, which Novare will preserve and renovate. Thank you, Mr. Borders!:tup:

RobMidtowner Jan 17, 2007 2:32 PM

So is this still going to be a 3-tower project like was originally proposed or just a 2-tower phased development?

smArTaLlone Jan 17, 2007 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMidtowner (Post 2569189)
So is this still going to be a 3-tower project like was originally proposed or just a 2-tower phased development?

Actually it was originally a two tower proposal. Once Novare acquired the remainder of the lot, it allowed them to extend the retail out to the corner of Peachtree and 6th and consider a third tower thus the tentative "Trilogy" title. Someone said the third tower was always intended as a long term plan.

Harry Cane Jan 18, 2007 6:15 PM

Do we know if Viewpoint will have the wavy top seen on some renderings or a spire like, well, Spire?

smArTaLlone Jan 19, 2007 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Cane (Post 2572379)
Do we know if Viewpoint will have the wavy top seen on some renderings or a spire like, well, Spire?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1497/viewpointps7.png

The wavy top appeared in the most recent renderings so I think we can assume thats what it'll look like. You couldn't really see the top of it in most of the renderings but I don't think it ever had a spire.

RobMidtowner Jan 19, 2007 4:48 PM

What's up with the lighting and shadows in that picture?

L.ARCH Jan 19, 2007 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMidtowner (Post 2574679)
What's up with the lighting and shadows in that picture?

Dramatic ain't it? :)

jfsatlbldr Jan 21, 2007 6:04 PM

View from Peachtree 1-20-07;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...-20-07P038.jpg

Randy Sandford Jan 24, 2007 3:43 PM

A driveby shot from this past Sunday (just before the rain started):

smArTaLlone Jan 24, 2007 5:47 PM

Someone was asking about what would be built in Phase I. If this rendering from RJ Griffin's website is an indication, it will include the retail all the way to the corner.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3...oint0010nq.jpg

foxmccleod Jan 24, 2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smArTaLlone (Post 2586165)
Someone was asking about what would be built in Phase I. If this rendering from RJ Griffin's website is an indication, it will include the retail all the way to the corner.

There was a something released a while back saying that there was a deal worked out with McCray's where they would move out early allowing Phase 1 to build the retail to the corner.

Terminus Jan 25, 2007 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smArTaLlone (Post 2586165)

It will occupy the vacant area at Peachtree and 6th. They just probably won't build it until last - once exterior tower work is mostly done. Twelve CP has a similar low-rise component on Ivan Allen, and it's just being built now.

ATLmangum Jan 31, 2007 7:56 PM

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Media.../slide0030.htm

This is by far the best rendering I have seen for this project.

JoLeMaMa Feb 4, 2007 4:28 AM

This is an amazing structure. Can't wait until it is complete..
Are there any updated photos of this beast?

SteveD Feb 4, 2007 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoLeMaMa (Post 2609901)
This is an amazing structure. Can't wait until it is complete..
Are there any updated photos of this beast?

:previous: JoLeMaMa...there's a link to a construction webcam on page 2 where you can look in real time at this beast whenever you'd like!

JoLeMaMa Feb 4, 2007 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 2610667)
:previous: JoLeMaMa...there's a link to a construction webcam on page 2 where you can look in real time at this beast whenever you'd like!

O.K. Thanks

I look at the progression of this building, and it seems to be going up really slow. Is this the case?

SteveD Feb 4, 2007 7:07 PM

No, that's not the case. They are at the construction stage where they are erecting the much more complex, and larger, lower levels of the tower. Once they proceed to the more narrow floor plate of the residential levels it will begin to rise at a faster floor by floor pace. The majority of high rise construction projects proceed at a MUCH slower pace on the initial lower floors, and this one is no different.

sabino86 Feb 10, 2007 1:29 AM

Anyone know what the units are going for?

mayhem Feb 10, 2007 6:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabino86 (Post 2622834)
Anyone know what the units are going for?

I believe it starts in the 200's.

mayhem Feb 10, 2007 6:26 AM

They're about to start pouring the 10th floor where the tower will begin to rise. Also, Steve, there are residential units on the lower levels as well.

ATLmangum Feb 16, 2007 4:26 PM

From the webcam, it looks like they are starting to work on the last floor of the parking levels. We should start to see the rest of the residential portion begin to rise in a couple of weeks.

ATLssMania Feb 16, 2007 5:02 PM

Anyone know when the sales center is supposed to open?

smArTaLlone Feb 16, 2007 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLssMania (Post 2636343)

March or April? Its in the latest newsletter on Novare's website.

ATLmangum Feb 16, 2007 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLssMania (Post 2636343)

The end of March. It will be in one of Spire's retail units.

GThomas Feb 27, 2007 5:59 AM

Pic Update (2-25-06)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5450/vpsideou7.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3066/vpbackxn0.jpg

MarketsWork Feb 27, 2007 6:07 AM

Those are the best photos of Viewpoint posted yet, GThomas. You really captured the scope and scale of the project. The view from the north along Peachtree gives a broad hint of what the two-story retail is going to look like at street level. I really like it.

ATLmangum Feb 27, 2007 4:42 PM

Great pics GThomas, keep'em coming!!!

gttx Feb 27, 2007 10:36 PM

I really actually like the little Starbucks next to what will be a pretty large building....once the Hines building fills in across the street it will be a neat corner nestled between two big developments. Normally I think that's awful (like Spire's big plaza), but for some reason I like this.

Are they doing anything with the back of Viewpoint? The parking deck is really a dog, and they'll have that big empty area behind it.

mayhem Feb 28, 2007 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gttx (Post 2655653)
I really actually like the little Starbucks next to what will be a pretty large building....once the Hines building fills in across the street it will be a neat corner nestled between two big developments. Normally I think that's awful (like Spire's big plaza), but for some reason I like this.

Are they doing anything with the back of Viewpoint? The parking deck is really a dog, and they'll have that big empty area behind it.

Isn't phase 3 going behind there?

Tuckerman Feb 28, 2007 3:27 PM

The Viewpoint under construction appears quite different from the model on Novare.

SteveD Feb 28, 2007 3:35 PM

If I'm counting floors correctly, it looks like they are now framing the final full footprint floor. After this, the slender portion will begin to rise.

foxmccleod Feb 28, 2007 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayhem (Post 2657007)
Isn't phase 3 going behind there?

Phase 2 and 3 will be there, each fronting Juniper at their respective intersections. As I recall there is a service drive that will enter the rear deck of phase 1 directly from Juniper, in between phases 2 and 3.

whiplash3825 Mar 2, 2007 5:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckerman (Post 2657008)
The Viewpoint under construction appears quite different from the model on Novare.

Why do you say that? It looks exactly like the rendering to me. The only difference is they haven't started on the right-most part of the retail space.

Tuckerman Mar 2, 2007 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiplash3825 (Post 2660859)
Why do you say that? It looks exactly like the rendering to me. The only difference is they haven't started on the right-most part of the retail space.

You may be right and it is because of the angle differences between the construction cam and the website. On the website the lower right side is developed with 5/6 large retail window fronts and only 3 show on the right; whereas the con cam shows equal numbers on both sides; perhaps theywill devop the right side more as the building progresses. Also the main middle tower appears much more out front or pulled out from the parking base This may just be articistic illusion. in any case, an interesting building to watch - I have coffee regularly at the starbucks and often park in the first bay so i can spot my car on the con cam - how's that for getting into the picture.

whiplash3825 Mar 2, 2007 8:36 PM

Yeah... that retail portion with the 3 windows to the right will be expanded to the corner before tower 1 opens, leaving you with exactly what the rendering shows.

SteveD Mar 5, 2007 11:10 PM

I noticed today that this has risen high enough now that you can easily see the structural framing from the downtown connector.

Trae Mar 6, 2007 11:29 PM

Nice shots GThomas!

john3eblover Mar 7, 2007 1:34 AM

i'll be in atlanta for a week starting on monday, maybe i'll be able to get some pictures of the construction sites

ATLssMania Mar 16, 2007 3:27 PM

Anyone see the advertisement for Viewpoint in the ABC today? It has a rendering from a different angle that I have not seen before...looks taller than the other renderings.

Atlriser Mar 16, 2007 6:57 PM

I'd say they're going to have to bump the crane up over the next couple days given there progress through this afternoon. Should really start seeing it from the connector clearly by end of next week.

GThomas Mar 21, 2007 6:00 PM

I've been watching the assembly of the Viewpoint model in the retail portion of Spire. There were several people looking at the model yesterday. I'll get a picture of it as soon as it's put together.

It looks better than the rendering to me. The glass looks dark/smokey. The left portion of the parking deck has a garden/fountain area at the top. The right side has the pool at the top. It looks as if the balcony rails are dark gray/black. The top wave portion looks very sharp too, but ceases about midway through the depth of the building. The model even includes the Starbucks building. Looks good.