SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Amazon cancels plans for HQ2 in new york (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237682)

DCReid Feb 8, 2019 5:06 PM

Amazon cancels plans for HQ2 in new york

Amazon is reconsidering building one of its new headquarters in New York City after local opposition, according to a report by The Washington Post...

https://therealdeal.com/2019/02/08/a...sition-report/

Steely Dan Feb 8, 2019 5:08 PM

put it down the road in philly.

probably should have just done that from the beginning.

The North One Feb 8, 2019 5:13 PM

It's empty threats, they did the same thing in Seattle when they stopped work on a building.

Amazon is slimy trash, they like playing these kind of games.

C. Feb 8, 2019 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCReid (Post 8466328)
Amazon is reconsidering building one of its new headquarters in New York City after local opposition, according to a report by The Washington Post...

https://therealdeal.com/2019/02/08/a...sition-report/

Why did I have a feeling something like this may happen... Nashville and Crystal $hitty can't believe there luck right now as they have the potential to absorb more Amazon jobs.

iheartthed Feb 8, 2019 5:30 PM

Amazon is playing a dangerous game. At the very least, NYC would be indifferent to Amazon choosing to go somewhere else. On top of that, they will invite even more scrutiny of the process by New York (and by extension national) media.

iheartthed Feb 8, 2019 5:30 PM

But I really do hope they choose to go somewhere else.

JManc Feb 8, 2019 5:35 PM

Put it in Kingwood, TX...

C. Feb 8, 2019 5:41 PM

Sad thing is this may be justification to reopen up that horrid Amazon HQ2 thread...

jd3189 Feb 8, 2019 5:52 PM

Should have considered a smaller, more low key metro that is still up and coming like Atlanta or another dominant one like Chicago.

MonkeyRonin Feb 8, 2019 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. (Post 8466411)
Sad thing is this may be justification to reopen up that horrid Amazon HQ2 thread...

The real losers here will be all of us on SSP.

iheartthed Feb 8, 2019 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8466435)
Should have considered a smaller, more low key metro that is still up and coming like Atlanta or another dominant one like Chicago.

They could have even chosen Newark, where they would have gotten mostly same labor pool, an easier government to manipulate, and a lot more favorable press.

tdawg Feb 8, 2019 5:57 PM

Wow. Can you imagine how all the real estate speculators who scooped up places sight unseen must be feeling right now?

Pedestrian Feb 8, 2019 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8466435)

The whole point of what they are doing is to make recruitment and hiring easier because there are not substantial numbers of unemployed/recruitable tech workers in Seattle (or the Bay Area or Austin or any of the better known tech centers) any more. A "smaller, more low key metro" wouldn't have that asset either--they'd have to recruit them elsewhere and induce them to move to the new campus and that's exactly what they are trying to avoid.

Therefore, besides NY and Washington, Boston/Cambridge is the only other obvious choice. You need either a very large population or a place with universities (preferably more than one) churning out STEM grads who might want an employment opportunity right in the same metro so they don't have to move away.

Pedestrian Feb 8, 2019 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8466446)
They could have even chosen Newark, where they would have gotten mostly same labor pool, an easier government to manipulate, and a lot more favorable press.

And they may yet do that. A move within the tri-state orbit could be exactly what they are thinking of.

iheartthed Feb 8, 2019 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8466466)
The whole point of what they are doing is to make recruitment and hiring easier because there are not substantial numbers of unemployed/recruitable tech workers in Seattle (or the Bay Area or Austin or any of the better known tech centers) any more. A "smaller, more low key metro" wouldn't have that asset either--they'd have to recruit them elsewhere and induce them to move to the new campus and that's exactly what they are trying to avoid.

Therefore, besides NY and Washington, Boston/Cambridge is the only other obvious choice. You need either a very large population or a place with universities (preferably more than one) churning out STEM grads who might want an employment opportunity right in the same metro so they don't have to move away.

There are plenty of places they could have gone besides NYC. Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles, also come to mind.

tdawg Feb 8, 2019 6:09 PM

^^^ Georgia Tech, Emory and Georgia State are in Atlanta.

Pedestrian Feb 8, 2019 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8466475)
There are plenty of places they could have gone besides NYC. Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles, also come to mind.

I almost mentioned Chicago and there's also Philadelphia and even Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon) and Raleigh-Durham (Reasearch Triangle). But like I said, I don't think Dallas or Atlanta have the pool of tech-trained but under-employed people they are looking for. And I don't think they want another HQ on the west coast which rules out LA and San Diego.

The easiest thing would be to stay in the NY area but not in the City.

iheartthed Feb 8, 2019 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8466471)
And they may yet do that. A move within the tri-state orbit could be exactly what they are thinking of.

Newark really should have been their primary choice in the tri-state, if Amazon was really being honest about their HQ2 criteria. I don't see what advantage LIC has over Newark, other than being in New York City proper. Newark is a quick commute to Manhattan, well-connected transit, same labor pool, AND New Jersey had offered far more money than did New York.

Pedestrian Feb 8, 2019 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 8466479)
^^^ Georgia Tech, Emory and Georgia State are in Atlanta.

Yeah, I could be wrong about Atlanta if all 3 schools are there (to be honest, I wasn't sure where Georgia Tech was in the state).

iheartthed Feb 8, 2019 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8466487)
I almost mentioned Chicago and there's also Philadelphia and even Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon) and Raleigh-Durham (Reasearch Triangle). But like I said, I don't think Dallas or Atlanta have the pool of tech-trained but under-employed people they are looking for. And I don't think they want another HQ on the west coast which rules out LA and San Diego.

The easiest thing would be to stay in the NY area but not in the City.

But New York doesn't have a lot of underemployed people, either. They'll have a harder time here than they will in Atlanta or Dallas.