SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Mar 18, 2020 2:23 AM

Y'all stay safe

IconRPCV Mar 19, 2020 8:44 PM

This pisses me off too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8851056)
Re: Measure C

What was the original intent of this 2/3 majority?

It seems ridiculous voters can overwhelmingly at 63.5% support a hotel tax for our city and that’s not good enough. This means a minority of dimwits like Donna Frye get their way even though they are a fringe minority. She was upset at this measure because she said the homeless part was an “afterthought.” Maybe so, but Donna you just flushed a $2 billion revenue source down the toilet for the homeless you moron.

Sorry to be rough, but this really pisses me off.

It shouldn’t be this hard for a city to expand their convention center. You’d think we were asking to secede from the country or something.

mello Mar 20, 2020 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 8867447)
This pisses me off too.

Im sure with this getting close to 65% and the City being desperate for revenue in this coming economic crash, they will challenge it in court like a bunch of other California cities have been doing. You think homelessness is bad now just imagine with 20 to 30% unemployment. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about what is going on with the economy and why you should be getting your ass out of stocks and in to physical gold and silver ASAP :runaway:

Derek Mar 21, 2020 12:24 AM

Yikes, Donna Frye is still around? Sorry guys... :(

SDfan Mar 21, 2020 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8865459)
Y'all stay safe

You too, stay safe, ya'll.

Boatguy619 Mar 21, 2020 6:49 PM

Sorry for the poor quality image, maybe I'll get my nice camera out to take a similar photo as it still looks like this. This photo was taken at the beginning of the month before all the craziness, wasn't sure why one tower at the Grand Hyatt was totally dark. Must have only been operating one tower knowing what was to come?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...154499c040.jpg2020-03-21_11-41-56 by kevinbeatty, on Flickr

Will O' Wisp Mar 24, 2020 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 8869473)
Sorry for the poor quality image, maybe I'll get my nice camera out to take a similar photo as it still looks like this. This photo was taken at the beginning of the month before all the craziness, wasn't sure why one tower at the Grand Hyatt was totally dark. Must have only been operating one tower knowing what was to come?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...154499c040.jpg2020-03-21_11-41-56 by kevinbeatty, on Flickr

Tourism from Europe and Asia has been down for months due to the outbreaks there. The Hyatt completely shut down last week.

https://i.redd.it/v84j37eiwho41.png

USNS Mercy deploying to LA earlier today. Check the windows on the Hyatt.

gillynova Mar 24, 2020 4:21 AM

^^ Pretty cool sight to see!

mello Mar 28, 2020 8:06 PM

So....

Expectations of 7th and Market actually happening now? :shrug:

Too early to tell what repercussions will be? Did the courthouse project actually have the financing secured? If it did that one still might happen.

All other projects I think will be shelved. How is Stockdale feeling right now about Horton Plaza..... uh oh :uhh:

superfishy Mar 30, 2020 8:29 PM

Well it was a good boom while it lasted. Guess we'll have to wait another decade for the next one

eburress Mar 31, 2020 4:09 AM

How are things in San Diego? Are businesses, hotels, restaurants, etc holding out or are there a lot of closures so far?

tdavis Apr 1, 2020 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 8879627)
How are things in San Diego? Are businesses, hotels, restaurants, etc holding out or are there a lot of closures so far?

Only essential businesses are open. Everything else has closed.

mello Apr 1, 2020 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 8881184)
Only essential businesses are open. Everything else has closed.

I think he means have they closed for good knowing that this shutdown will probably last until mid June at least. He obviously knows that only essential businesses are open isn't it basically like this everywhere in the country.

tdavis Apr 2, 2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8881350)
I think he means have they closed for good knowing that this shutdown will probably last until mid June at least. He obviously knows that only essential businesses are open isn't it basically like this everywhere in the country.

Not necessarily. My family in Oklahoma City and Abilene, Texas say it’s business as normal there. Everyone thinks it’s a hoax or whatnot.

eburress Apr 2, 2020 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8881350)

Thanks for clarifying, mello. You're correct. My question was if businesses in SD were surviving or if some had closed for good. Hotels have been hit hard here in Dallas, and this was the last straw for a number of businesses which were vulnerable...like Punchbowl Social.

I can't speak to what's happening in OK but for what it's worth, our part of TX has been on a shelter in place order for ~three weeks and all non-essential businesses have been closed longer.

HurricaneHugo Apr 4, 2020 10:56 AM

Does anybody know the conditions of the local hospitals right now?

Statewide projections show the surge just hitting capacity at the peak, wonder if that will hold true locally.

eburress Apr 4, 2020 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8884302)
Does anybody know the conditions of the local hospitals right now?

Statewide projections show the surge just hitting capacity at the peak, wonder if that will hold true locally.

I have family in Santa Cruz, LA, and Palm Springs who are doctors and nurses and in all three spots, they say they are far under capacity. Surely it's different in some of the hot spot areas but from their perspectives, there seems to be some disconnect between what's being reported and what's actually happening.

HurricaneHugo Apr 6, 2020 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 8884424)
I have family in Santa Cruz, LA, and Palm Springs who are doctors and nurses and in all three spots, they say they are far under capacity. Surely it's different in some of the hot spot areas but from their perspectives, there seems to be some disconnect between what's being reported and what's actually happening.

That's great to hear!

I'm assuming that it's' because people are not going for every little thing right now plus things like delaying elective surgery etc:

I found this site that is projecting that the peak will be in 8 days and it will still be well under capacity for beds/ICUs.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Hopefully it's correct

Streamliner Apr 6, 2020 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 8885735)
That's great to hear!

I'm assuming that it's' because people are not going for every little thing right now plus things like delaying elective surgery etc:

I imagine it's also because other typical hospitalizations aren't occurring at the same rates as before (car accidents, workplace injuries, etc.). I've heard that there have been fewer flu hospitalizations as well since social distancing works for all sorts of contagious ailments.

Boatguy619 Apr 7, 2020 11:17 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3a878cb9_k.jpg2020-04-06_08-55-04