SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   ATLANTA | Viewpoint | 501 FT / 153 M | 36 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=107747)

SteveD Oct 11, 2007 4:09 PM

Nice pics MattSal in this and in several other threads...thanks!

atl2phx Oct 11, 2007 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattSal (Post 3105472)

nice pic. thnx for the update matt! does anybody know how the back/east side is being finished off? i hope it's not the same mess novare applied to the back or spire.

MattSal Oct 13, 2007 5:51 PM

It looks identical to the Peachtree Street side, as far as I know.

mayhem Oct 16, 2007 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atl2phx (Post 3106263)
nice pic. thnx for the update matt! does anybody know how the back/east side is being finished off? i hope it's not the same mess novare applied to the back or spire.

It's all glass. It looks a million times better than Spire. It is also a bit different from the front of the building. I'll try to snap a pic for you sometime.

MattSal Oct 28, 2007 4:31 AM

From yesterday:
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9536/pa270315ox4.jpg

Trae Oct 28, 2007 4:31 AM

Nice photo Matt. The crown at the top is starting to take shape. I all of a sudden got real excited for Viewpoint.

sabino86 Oct 28, 2007 5:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattSal (Post 3131025)

Lookin' good! ;)

RobMidtowner Oct 29, 2007 12:11 AM

Anyone know how sales are going on this one?

whiplash3825 Oct 29, 2007 2:21 PM

I'm really surprised by the impact this building makes on the skyline from certain angles, especially considering it's moderate height. Dewberry's land at 10th and Peachtree really screams out for a very tall building, but other than that I'd be very content with seeing 30-40 story buildings lining Peachtree through Midtown.

Harry Cane Oct 29, 2007 3:32 PM

I couldn't believe how fast that crown has taken shape. I have to admit, I like it more than I thought I would. It would be great with the other two towers and the wave in reverse.

atlnative Oct 31, 2007 4:26 PM

Haven't seen the building at street level for a while (other than on the web cam), how is the retail portion coming along?

echinatl Oct 31, 2007 6:47 PM

:previous: From the webcame you can barely see where they pored the roof for the retail portion to the right. Its so hard to see, I could be completely wrong!

trainiac Nov 1, 2007 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattSal (Post 3131025)

Cool, it's the launching ramp for Dr. X's getaway rocket

L.ARCH Nov 1, 2007 4:16 PM

I think we could call this thing "topped-off." They removed the scaffolding for the wave today...

SteveD Nov 1, 2007 4:48 PM

:previous: Yes...in fact in today's AJC they were reporting topping off ceremonies today for both Viewpoint and 3344. Quite a coincidence for two such prominent additions to the skyline being topped off on the same day!

rezmang Nov 1, 2007 8:40 PM

happened to be in the area:

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/2...ntsmallel5.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2...ointpv6.th.jpg

mayhem Nov 6, 2007 12:35 AM

Great pic, Rezmang!

echinatl Nov 6, 2007 2:45 PM

It looks like they are preparing to pour the second floor for the retail area to the right of the building. You can barely see this part on the webcam. Is the same thing going to happen on the other side as well? It looks like there is an active parking lot on that side.

Also, when these buildings take out a large parking lot, what happens to the people that used to park there? Forced to look elsewhere I assume while the building is going up. But do these buildings share their parking decks with the surrounding businesses? Does the cost of parking immediately go up in the surrounding parking lots due to higher demand?

I personally love it when a huge parking lot gets taken out. It forces people to use public transportation more and/or walk more. The first thing I noticed when I moved here 3 years ago was that nobody walked around the city. Now you can see a lot more people out and about, I love it!

alleystreetindustry Nov 7, 2007 2:27 AM

as much as i love the product, im not too fond of the butt end viewed from my streets (myrtle, argonne, glendale, etc.). if the developers go through with building the 2nd and 3rd towers, it would be nice to have some diversity.

MarketsWork Nov 7, 2007 3:42 AM

The new towers are what is bringing diversity.

Harry Cane Nov 7, 2007 12:59 PM

Am I imagining this or did I see renderings where the wave was glassed in and lit from within, similar to box on the Wachovia Building at AS?

roadwarrior Nov 7, 2007 5:33 PM

From the 180s? I cannot even fathom such prices somewhere like here in SF.

echinatl Nov 7, 2007 5:55 PM

:previous: Come on over:)

When i show my friends in NY what I bought for 250 they freak out.

SteveD Nov 7, 2007 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior (Post 3151696)
From the 180s? I cannot even fathom such prices somewhere like here in SF.

True, but rest assurred, roadwarrior, those would be the very tiniest 1 Br units on the very lowest floors. The average price in this tower is undoubtedly more like double or more of that. Still, your point is correct...Atlanta remains one of the most affordable large metros in the country.

RobMidtowner Nov 7, 2007 6:11 PM

^With the way the condo market is right now, you may actually be able to snatch a pretty good deal at Viewpoint for 180k or so. :shrug:

roadwarrior Nov 7, 2007 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 3151767)
True, but rest assurred, roadwarrior, those would be the very tiniest 1 Br units on the very lowest floors. The average price in this tower is undoubtedly more like double or more of that. Still, your point is correct...Atlanta remains one of the most affordable large metros in the country.

Yeah, maybe so, but those same tiny 1 bedroom condos go from about $500k-$700k here in SF. I can't even find a decent 2 bedroom condo for under $800k and if I want a view, it goes up rapidly from there.

SteveD Nov 7, 2007 8:36 PM

Oh yes, we're well aware of the out-of-control housing costs over your way!

alleystreetindustry Nov 8, 2007 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarketsWork (Post 3150703)
The new towers are what is bringing diversity.

i meant diversity in the design for the 2nd and 3rd towers. i hope they have a change in heart and decide to alter the look, at least a little bit, for each. im thinking they should at least change the color of glass per building.

smArTaLlone Nov 8, 2007 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry (Post 3152678)
i meant diversity in the design for the 2nd and 3rd towers. i hope they have a change in heart and decide to alter the look, at least a little bit, for each. im thinking they should at least change the color of glass per building.

I agree but for different reasons. The other two towers would create a giant 30 story wall, when viewed from the blocks north and south of Viewpoint. Look at the side view of the model to see what I mean.

alleystreetindustry Nov 9, 2007 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smArTaLlone (Post 3153616)
I agree but for different reasons. The other two towers would create a giant 30 story wall, when viewed from the blocks north and south of Viewpoint. Look at the side view of the model to see what I mean.

the model in person is quite beautiful. but i understand what you mean. maybe if all three were not of the same/similar height, color, and shape.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...Album10096.jpg

jaypkatl Nov 9, 2007 1:33 AM

SF might be more expensive, but it has a reason - Its a real city as Atlanta is still trying (in about 20 years it may just get there as long as people here lose their attitudes and their stupid CARS)

STrek777 Nov 9, 2007 2:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaypkatl (Post 3155074)
SF might be more expensive, but it has a reason - Its a real city as Atlanta is still trying (in about 20 years it may just get there as long as people here lose their attitudes and their stupid CARS)

SF has a reason and is a real city. Atlanta is still trying and needs to loose the attitude. Well that explains everything I am so enlightened.

Just remember karma is a b!tch. If my city was built on top of a giant fault line I might be nicer when I talked about someone else's city. After all one 8 on the Rickter Scale and... well I'm being nice today. But seriously lighten up on Atlanta. :whip:

atlantaguy Nov 9, 2007 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaypkatl (Post 3155074)
SF might be more expensive, but it has a reason - Its a real city as Atlanta is still trying (in about 20 years it may just get there as long as people here lose their attitudes and their stupid CARS)

I'm surprised someone hasn't ripped you a new one by now......you are treading on very thin ice, bub.

If you hate it here so damn much, fine - but shut the fuck up about it already, or get the fuck out.

SteveD Nov 9, 2007 1:46 PM

Yes. It's amazing how quickly he (or she) became a broken record with so few posts. I've tuned him (or her) out already.

oldpainless Nov 9, 2007 3:32 PM

aww man, is jaypkatl lurking around on this thread too??? I want to know who the hell is responsible for letting jaypkatl out of the cage! Someone catch the bastard, lock him (or her) back up, and send em' back to SF.

Contrary to what others have said, I think the "suburban" Starbucks on the corner will be kind of a neat little break in the urban scene once everything gets built up around it. Its an anomally if you will. I think it will make things more interesting.

jaypkatl Nov 9, 2007 3:33 PM

I am just making observations about my exepriences, nothing more. I have enjoyed living in Atlanta and living someplace that has come a LONG way in such a short period of time. Not alot of people experience the growth of a city, but I think there is so much still holding Atlanta back that it is going to be difficult for it to become what everyone wants it to be.

Atlriser Nov 9, 2007 3:38 PM

STrek777 - I agree 100% with your sentiment. Careful though...lol, I believe the Chattahochee is the largest fault line in the eastern US. Viewpoint is beautiful and love the combination of all three buildings. I truly hope all 3 are built and that PTree is a string of highrises forming a 'wall'. The 'walls' around Central Park in NYC are one of the most stunning visuals in my mind and bring a smile to my face everytime I have the pleasure of being there. I'd love seeing the same here separating the eastern neighborhoods of downtown/midtown from the highrise district following the connector and PTree. It'd be a neat sight and create a long beautiful skyline.

Atlriser Nov 9, 2007 3:49 PM

jaypkatl, what is it that everyone wants Atlanta to be? I think you need to scale back your comments to what 'you' want it to be. Atlanta is a product of the time just as all cities are. It amazes me how many people want to compare Atlanta and all the sunbelt cities to the cities that developed pre-auto and pre-middle class America. If NY had developed essentially since 1950, I promise it would not be the NY we see today. If Atlanta was landlocked by a major body of water or cliffs or huge mountains, Atlanta wouldn't be the same eihter; however it's not so it hasn't had a reason to build up instead of out. Why do others just not get this very simple and basic fact of development?

It's funny that so many on the board rant and rave about suburbia and sprawl and all the negatives.....blah blah blah....however the overwhelming majority of Americans for the past 50 years have choosen that lifestyle and even moved in large percentages from the northern cities to live in the hated sprawl of all the southern US cities (east and west coasts). While that attitude might be changing somewhat now, it's still what the majority prefers in America. I happen to be one that prefers living in the city eventhough I grew up in the sprawl of Atlanta and have witnessed the city transform for 30 years to what it is today. So who is right and who is wrong? NEITHER! It's your preference and what you find to be important in YOUR life. Is it really that hard to grasp people. Cities are products of their time just as you are a product of the time and environment you were born into. Does that mean nonchanging? Hell no, but for almost 6 million people to have choosen to live in the metro Atlanta area in a little over 100 years....some one here must like what the city/area has to offer......

Honestly, I think in the past 5 years the city has changed so drastically in it's feeling and attitude that I'm not in love with Atlanta like I was. Maybe it's just a change in me as I grow older and my experiences change me; however, Atlanta just doesn't feel like Atlanta to me anymore. I hate to admit that because I thought I'd never consider moving to another metro area eventhough I've had the honor and privilege to travel to many 'great' cities. The Atlanta that's developing just seems foreign to me and eventhough it's now more lively at night it also seems sorry if this ruffles anyone because that's not the intent....northern to me. The charm of Atlanta is no longer unique but becoming just another big American city.

MattSal Nov 13, 2007 10:07 PM

From earlier today:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9633/pb120001pd1.jpg

SteveD Nov 13, 2007 11:26 PM

:previous: such a clear, detailed pic! Thanks MattSal!

tdawg Nov 14, 2007 2:25 PM

wow, that Viewpoint pic is gorgeous, like a rendering, nearly.

echinatl Nov 14, 2007 3:18 PM

They started putting up the glass on the crown portion... whatever you guys call it today. Looks good!:tup:

atl2phx Nov 14, 2007 9:15 PM

nice pic. i'm really liking the wave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattSal (Post 3165062)


sabino86 Nov 19, 2007 4:37 PM

11/17/07
 
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/phot...77725_6179.jpg

L.ARCH Nov 19, 2007 4:46 PM

:previous: nice!

MattSal Dec 8, 2007 12:42 AM

Almost finished I think. Taken a day ago.
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4526/pc060017xj6.jpg

DeliaC Dec 8, 2007 3:14 PM

Retail view.
 
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...C/DSC01350.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...C/DSC01353.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...C/DSC01357.jpg

L.ARCH Dec 8, 2007 3:17 PM

:previous: I'm not too sure about their choice of material, but thank god this building addresses the street properly...

gttx Dec 8, 2007 6:12 PM

I wish they would continue the veneer they have on the ground floor up to the second retail floor. The concrete is just so uninviting...

Harry Cane Dec 10, 2007 12:55 PM

They've never gotten around to announcing any retail tenants, have they? Seems like with construction so far along they'd have announced something by now. Hmmm.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.