SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis Dec 13, 2016 2:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing. It's good to have a new parking garage in place before you go ahead with expanding the mall, if that is the case. If they do expand, it will likely cut into the current parking area. The entire mall needs a total makeover if they want to stay relevant in today's retail marketplace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7649840)
I'm wondering if they are building this to make room on their current parking lot for expansion of the mall. I don't see why else they would build a 4-level parkade??

andrew867 Dec 19, 2016 4:21 PM

Looks like Shoppers wants to tear down the store at Freshwater and Empire and build a brand new building:

Quote:

City of St. John's Media Relations has issued the following:
==========================================
Public Notice

Thu, 2017/01/12 - 7:00pm

Public Meeting - 198 & 204 Freshwater Road

The City of St. John's has received an application from Dillon Consulting
Limited, on behalf of Shoppers Realty Inc., to rezone *198 & 204 Freshwater
Road *to the Commercial Neighbourhood (CN) Zone. The purpose of the rezoning
is for the redevelopment of the existing Shoppers Drug Mart, which is a
longstanding Non-Conforming Use.

Information concerning this application and the Land Use Assessment Report
(LUAR) may be viewed at the Department of Planning, Engineering and
Regulatory Services, fourth Floor, City Hall Annex, please phone
709-576-8220, or email: planning@stjohns.ca. [1]

The Public Meeting will be held on *Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 7 p.m. *in
the Foran/Greene Room, fourth floor, City Hall. Any person wishing to make a
submission on this application prior to the public meeting must provide a
signed written statement to Office of the City Clerk either by mail: P.O. Box
908, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5M2; fax: 709-576-8474 or by email:
cityclerk@stjohns.ca [2]. Written and verbal representations may also be
submitted at the time of the public meeting. The public meeting will be
chaired by a member of Council.
Background Information [3]
LUAR [4]

[1] mailto:planning@stjohns.ca.?subject=198%20%26%20204%20Freshwater%20Road
[2] mailto:cityclerk@stjohns.ca?subject=198%20%26%20204%20Freshwater%20Road
[3]http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/CSJ_FileUpload/Planning/198-204%20Freshwater%20Rd%20Background%20Info%20Dec%202016_0.pdf
[4]http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/CSJ_FileUpload/Planning/198%20%26%20204%20Freshwater%20Road%20LUAR%20Dec%202016.pdf

Erik709 Jan 13, 2017 9:49 PM

A new Shoppers in the Empire/Freshwater area would be nice. The current one is way beyond its time, and the neighborhood could really use something new and not rundown.

Arrakis Jan 28, 2017 4:11 AM

Well it had a good run but looks like HMV in the Mall will be closing later this year. With music and movies gone digital, it's amazing it lasted this long. Sad to see it go though. Here's a news link of its receivership.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stru...ship-1.3956302

Sox Jan 31, 2017 12:11 PM

I heard COSTCO is moving. Anybody else hear anything on this ?

Just wondering, I figured it would be all over the news by now. * wink wink *

Arrakis Jan 31, 2017 2:26 PM

You know what's odd in all this Costco moving news?
Danny Williams and The Shoppes at Galway have yet to comment or make an official announcement regarding Costcos move. Which makes me think he is still negotiating with them on this. Been hearing that they may still move but remain in the east end but move over near RONA where there is large (20 acres) undeveloped commercial land being offered to them. Besides what local Costco management has said, has there been an official announcement or link to saying they are definitely going to Galway? Sometimes things have a way of changing before everything is signed on the dotted line. Nothing will surprise me at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7695789)
I heard COSTCO is moving. Anybody else hear anything on this ?

Just wondering, I figured it would be all over the news by now. * wink wink *

IronMan Jan 31, 2017 10:24 PM

I like the way you think - and I would love for Costco to remain in the East End - but it seems to me like this is a done deal. Anyone else hear anything on this? Hopeful thinking maybe! ;)

AnUrbanLife Feb 20, 2017 6:36 PM

A new shop opening on Duckworth street near Hempware, called Hooligan's (a tattoo shop). Another vacancy filled, nothing is sitting empty for very long.

tylerTUBE Feb 20, 2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 7696425)
I like the way you think - and I would love for Costco to remain in the East End - but it seems to me like this is a done deal. Anyone else hear anything on this? Hopeful thinking maybe! ;)

It'd be nice for Costco to stay put, I live a 10 minute walk from it right now haha, but it's funny to read through some CBC comments on this, how upset people get, geez..pack up the suitcases, pack your roadtrip snacks and fire up the roadtrip playlist for the long drive to the other side of St. John's. :)

Sox Feb 21, 2017 12:31 PM

Just what we need --- another Tattoo shop !

SMH. How many tattoo shops are already open here now ???

Best of Luck

Sox Feb 21, 2017 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife (Post 7718141)
A new shop opening on Duckworth street near Hempware, called Hooligan's (a tattoo shop). Another vacancy filled, nothing is sitting empty for very long.

Nothing sitting for LONG ???? You must be joking right ? Have you driven around this city at all lately ? There is a tonne of retail space , of all sizes, that have been sitting vacant for Months, and in some cases Years, at a time.( case in point old Dominion on NL Drive, Target on Stavanger, Home Hardware on Topsail Rd, along with a multitude of space available downtown )

Unfortunately it will only get worse, as now with Galway getting prepared to start development, retailers are going to shift direction and focus their efforts into that area. Drive around and look at all the empty locations on Water Street, Churchill Square, Kenmount Road, Pippy Place etc...These places are going to sit even longer now, because every new business will want to situated in Galway.

tylerTUBE Feb 22, 2017 1:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7719083)
Nothing sitting for LONG ???? You must be joking right ? Have you driven around this city at all lately ? There is a tonne of retail space , of all sizes, that have been sitting vacant for Months, and in some cases Years, at a time.( case in point old Dominion on NL Drive, Target on Stavanger, Home Hardware on Topsail Rd, along with a multitude of space available downtown )

Unfortunately it will only get worse, as now with Galway getting prepared to start development, retailers are going to shift direction and focus their efforts into that area. Drive around and look at all the empty locations on Water Street, Churchill Square, Kenmount Road, Pippy Place etc...These places are going to sit even longer now, because every new business will want to situated in Galway.

True yes, but the old Dominion on Newfoundland Drive is being changed into Coleman's, I looked in the windows there last weekend and saw some new work going on. The doors were open there last week and they were bring stuff out, so it's going ahead for sure :)

jthetzel Feb 22, 2017 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7719083)
There is a tonne of retail space , of all sizes, that have been sitting vacant for Months, and in some cases Years, at a time.( case in point old Dominion on NL Drive, Target on Stavanger, Home Hardware on Topsail Rd, along with a multitude of space available downtown )

Some of the vacant properties, such as the old Dominion at Churchill Square and Target, are currently leased. They are only vacant because the leaseholders believe allowing new business to take over the lease is not in their corporate interest. I think they should give more weight to the community's interest, but I don't have to answer to shareholders at the annual general meeting.

One significant reason Colemans is moving in to the old Newfoundland Drive Dominion is because Loblaw's 25 year lease of that property expired in 2015 ( http://www.thetelegram.com/living/20...s-3161176.html ).

NewfBC Feb 22, 2017 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthetzel (Post 7719908)
Some of the vacant properties, such as the old Dominion at Churchill Square and Target, are currently leased. They are only vacant because the leaseholders believe allowing new business to take over the lease is not in their corporate interest. I think they should give more weight to the community's interest, but I don't have to answer to shareholders at the annual general meeting.

One significant reason Colemans is moving in to the old Newfoundland Drive Dominion is because Loblaw's 25 year lease of that property expired in 2015 ( http://www.thetelegram.com/living/20...s-3161176.html ).

Who would be holding a lease on the Target space? Target Canada went bankrupt.

Ron.

colinpeddle Feb 23, 2017 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 7720001)
Who would be holding a lease on the Target space? Target Canada went bankrupt.

Ron.

One potential owner would be a bank.

elizabethf1985 Feb 23, 2017 8:48 PM

I just drove past the Marshalls on Stavanger and their sign is up on the front of the store now. Anyone know an expected opening date for them?

putyoursaddown Feb 23, 2017 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 (Post 7721586)
I just drove past the Marshalls on Stavanger and their sign is up on the front of the store now. Anyone know an expected opening date for them?

March 14th is the scheduled opening date. A friend of mine works there and she told me that they're just waiting on some delayed stock shipments so that they can open.

In other news, Gap in the Avalon will be closing in April. http://ntv.ca/gap-closing-store-in-a...mall-in-april/

Sox Feb 24, 2017 11:29 AM

Gap had a good run in the Avalon Mall. Sucks to see them close ( along with HMV ), but the retail chains will continue to chug along. There will be many other retail suitors lining up to fill that space, mainly because of their prime location within the Avalon Mall.

Speaking of the Avalon Mall --- who thinks SEARS will be closed before 2017 ends ? Sears corporate is basically bankrupt right now, so don't be surprised if Sears locally closes it doors very soon. Personally , I cannot believe that they've managed to stay open as long as they have ! They have to be the worst retailer on the planet right now. With the exception of clothing , they never have anything in stock ! Everything needs to be ordered in. And the store basically looks like an oversized Garage sale.

wmemeadusjr Feb 24, 2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7722270)
Gap had a good run in the Avalon Mall. Sucks to see them close ( along with HMV ), but the retail chains will continue to chug along. There will be many other retail suitors lining up to fill that space, mainly because of their prime location within the Avalon Mall.

Speaking of the Avalon Mall --- who thinks SEARS will be closed before 2017 ends ? Sears corporate is basically bankrupt right now, so don't be surprised if Sears locally closes it doors very soon. Personally , I cannot believe that they've managed to stay open as long as they have ! They have to be the worst retailer on the planet right now. With the exception of clothing , they never have anything in stock ! Everything needs to be ordered in. And the store basically looks like an oversized Garage sale.

As bad as Sears corporate is doing, the Avalon Mall store is apparently their busiest store in Canada. The one at the Village at least looked better. The Avalon Mall store is cold and baron. For years, I've been thinking this year will be the last for Sears, but somehow, they seem to defy the odds time and time again, and keep marching along.

As for the Gap space, it's probably the Mall's most prime piece of retail space as it's practically at the crossroads of the mall's many expansions and renos over the years. If H&M were to finally come here, the location would be great, but they would need way more space, as the H&M stores I've been in seems to be much bigger, sometimes having multiple levels.

Sox Mar 2, 2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7722275)
As bad as Sears corporate is doing, the Avalon Mall store is apparently their busiest store in Canada. The one at the Village at least looked better. The Avalon Mall store is cold and baron. For years, I've been thinking this year will be the last for Sears, but somehow, they seem to defy the odds time and time again, and keep marching along.

As for the Gap space, it's probably the Mall's most prime piece of retail space as it's practically at the crossroads of the mall's many expansions and renos over the years. If H&M were to finally come here, the location would be great, but they would need way more space, as the H&M stores I've been in seems to be much bigger, sometimes having multiple levels.

Some of these larger retailers have to realize that NL is a completely different marketplace than any other larger city in CANADA. I can almost guarantee that if H&M came here, and took over a retail spot the size of the current GAP location, they would do just as much sales from that tiny store , as is currently being done in those large 2 story spots we see in TORONTO ! The same would occur if IKEA came here ! ( it would immediately be a top performer in their chain)!!

NL'ers are crazy for spending money, and are starved for change. We see things when we travel (Toronto, Montreal, Florida , New York ....) , and hope that one day, those things will eventually arrive in NL . And when they do, NL'ers support them to the nth degree ! Case in point : COSTCO (busiest store in Canada ), The Keg Steakhouse ( busiest store in Canada ), & McDonalds ( everywhere else , McDonalds is struggling, but in NL we line up around the block to eat that crap !

So retailers cannot judge future success based on just Population numbers alone. They have to factor in the "starved for change" factor ! We desperately want new things here, things we see on TV everyday, things we see when we travel, things we see on Social media. And just because, we don't have 2 million or more people here, is that a good enough reason not to bring some of these major chains here ? I don't think so

SO H&M corporate, IKEA corporate, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Taco Bell, Chilli's ( and countless others ): if you want a successful location, stop looking at Ontario and Alberta ! Come to NL, you won't regret it !