SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | One South Halsted | 495 FT | 44 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226873)

pilsenarch Oct 13, 2018 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8344437)
I loathe those afterthought mechanical boxes. Architects should know what's going on the roof, know the size, and design a way to incorporate it into the design.

As for the base, what's crazy is the glass isn't that bad. It's just totally the wrong color. Did a colorblind person choose it? And the brackets look horrible.

Architects are never responsible for the lack of mechanical screens... almost every client at some point asks the contractor where they can save money (VE) and the screens are almost always the first thing to go...

meanwhile, I know I'll get a lot of flak, but this entire Antunafish design is hideous (or is it Fitzgerald, I can't keep these race-to-the-bottom architects straight)... it reminds me of Philip Johnson's 'lipstick' tower in Manhattan, except with even less integrity... this isn't a 'lipstick' tower, it's a teen's 'lip glitter' tower... it's another 'one liner' with no indication in the design to its use, or any informed relief from the relentless glass pattern (why not a line of semi-recessed balconies?)... such an inadequate vocabulary, every move other than the 'lip gloss' package itself is a very awkward intervention at best... and the base will forever remain an albatross in Greektown...

PittsburghPA Oct 13, 2018 6:27 PM

I understand the critism but I disagree with the balconies. The best view of this tower is from a 45* angle. Looking dead E/W it is way too wide and doesn't feel proportionate to the height. I wish it was a little thinner. From N/S it looks incredible.

Also, yes, very disappointed in the lack of a crown. Big miss both on lighting and daylight asthetics. As if they "stopped short" during construction. Shout out Frank Costanza.

SolarWind Oct 15, 2018 1:39 AM

October 11, 2018

harryc Nov 7, 2018 12:45 AM

Oct 14

Nov 5

PittsburghPA Nov 7, 2018 1:14 AM

Great update as always Harry. How in the world are they going to install that spandrel glass last?

BonoboZill4 Nov 7, 2018 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8371121)
Great update as always Harry. How in the world are they going to install that spandrel glass last?

Window washers? :haha:

Anyway, this site went from horrible parking lot to a beautiful tower(albeit the worst base of the cycle). That's a win

harryc Nov 16, 2018 1:33 AM

Nov 14

BonoboZill4 Nov 16, 2018 4:39 AM

So wide!

RedCorsair87 Nov 16, 2018 4:49 PM

I think it is referred to as "thick as hell!" by the youngsters.

Freefall Nov 16, 2018 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 (Post 8381646)
I think it is referred to as "thick as hell!" by the youngsters.

*thicc

PittsburghPA Nov 17, 2018 4:30 AM

Looks phenomenal north/south and on the diagonal...way too wide or "thicc" east to west.

They must be planning on using the window washing rig to install the last of that spandrel glass?

Lastly, extremely disappointed this one didn't get the mechanical screen the renderings promised.

SIGSEGV Nov 17, 2018 4:38 AM

When I scroll the page it looks like it's rotating...

BuildThemTaller Nov 17, 2018 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8382391)
Looks phenomenal north/south and on the diagonal...way too wide or "thicc" east to west.

They must be planning on using the window washing rig to install the last of that spandrel glass?

Lastly, extremely disappointed this one didn't get the mechanical screen the renderings promised.

If they are using the roof to stage and install the last of the exterior glass, might they be waiting to finish all of that up before installing the mechanical screen?

PittsburghPA Nov 17, 2018 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8382588)
If they are using the roof to stage and install the last of the exterior glass, might they be waiting to finish all of that up before installing the mechanical screen?

Doubtful but let's sure hope so!

BonoboZill4 Nov 17, 2018 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8382588)

From what I can see this could be it. Lots of white hook crane things hanging over the edge helping with the glass installation I'm guessing. Hopefully those will be taken off and screening will go up once the glazing is finished. After all, they need to put mechanicals up there still, right?

pilsenarch Nov 18, 2018 1:37 PM

Sorry all, this is it for this piece of sh*t tower... you can tell from the 'resolution' of the pattern of the glass that there is not intention of taking it any higher...

LouisVanDerWright Nov 18, 2018 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilsenarch (Post 8383105)
Sorry all, this is it for this piece of sh*t tower... you can tell from the 'resolution' of the pattern of the glass that there is not intention of taking it any higher...

You can tell from the teal sealant that they aren't done with the mechanical penthouse either. They are going to do something more with it even if it's just a different coat of paint. It's also possible they downsized the screen to some kind of smaller cladding system for just the penthouse. All I know is they ain't leaving it teal...

PittsburghPA Nov 29, 2018 10:24 PM

I apologize for the extremely bad quality. I took this with my phone zoomed all the way in.

It seems as if there was some action on the roof today. I can't tell if it is just grey paint (most likely) or something else.

https://i.imgur.com/YtXy0Vh.jpg?1

BonoboZill4 Nov 30, 2018 2:13 AM

Interesting... thanks for the quick snap Pittsburgh

Cheap_Shot Dec 6, 2018 9:15 PM

General question for anyone with high rise construction knowledge.

Why does this building have such a tall maintenance "box" on top, where a building like The Parker (2 blocks up, also tall-ish high rise) has a relatively low box? I can't see The Parker's roof equipment from street view most of the time, but One South's is easy to spot.

PittsburghPA Dec 6, 2018 9:52 PM

492 units vs 277 units would be my guess. More equipment needed to heat and cool the building.

pilsenarch Dec 7, 2018 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheap_Shot (Post 8401258)
General question for anyone with high rise construction knowledge.

Why does this building have such a tall maintenance "box" on top, where a building like The Parker (2 blocks up, also tall-ish high rise) has a relatively low box? I can't see The Parker's roof equipment from street view most of the time, but One South's is easy to spot.

• The mechanical space needed for any highrise can vary significantly based upon the type of HVAC system used, type of use, etc., etc
  • The location of the mechanical spaces can be located pretty much anywhere in the building and don't necessarily need to be on the roof.
  • Finally, the developer can make an investment with concealing that equipment so that there is no 'box' at all... best current example would be OBP... the top of that tower is arguably one of the most expensive mechanical screens in the city.

BonoboZill4 Dec 11, 2018 4:15 AM

Hard to see I guess, but you can see it making an impact on the Madison street canyon going west now:

https://i.imgur.com/aNM8zkY.jpg?1

A couple more blocks and the canyon will basically fade off into the horizon

harryc Jan 1, 2019 7:44 PM

Chicago | 727 W Madison by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

ardecila Jan 3, 2019 6:16 AM

Should we move this to completed projects? I have to imagine they're in punchlist mode by now.

Honestly this is such a disappointing tower. I was looking forward to a midrise base with active uses, now it's just an awful parking garage with useless glass patches. The only good thing is the arcade along Halsted widening the dreadful narrow Halsted sidewalks, and maybe the pedestrian-friendly woonerf-style motor court.

Skyguy_7 Jan 3, 2019 1:11 PM

When this thread is bumped, I usually ignore it because it's either another complaint or a photo to which I say "woof".

The building adds some nice texture to the drive in from 290 and some bulk coming in from the Kennedy. So it's only good from afar. Onto the next one.

BonoboZill4 Jan 4, 2019 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8424512)
Should we move this to completed projects? I have to imagine they're in punchlist mode by now.

Honestly this is such a disappointing tower. I was looking forward to a midrise base with active uses, now it's just an awful parking garage with useless glass patches. The only good thing is the arcade along Halsted widening the dreadful narrow Halsted sidewalks, and maybe the pedestrian-friendly woonerf-style motor court.

I think mods move threads upon confirmation of residents being cleared to move in, which I'm not sure if that has begun or not. They might also still be holding out hope for a crown haha

PittsburghPA Mar 7, 2019 12:42 AM

3/6/19 Excuse the blurriness but they are testing out the crown lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/sMCOtcc.jpg?1

KWillChicago Mar 7, 2019 12:52 AM

Nice grab. I was hoping they would have crown lighting. C'mon one bennett.

donnie Mar 7, 2019 2:45 AM

Very L.A.ish.....

PittsburghPA Mar 7, 2019 2:54 AM

Yea good call Donnie. I'll reserve judgement but it looks pretty unimpressive. Very thin LED strip that most likely will change color instantaneously and in a wave like manner. My picture makes it look more robust/bright than it is.

ardecila Mar 7, 2019 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8425472)
I think mods move threads upon confirmation of residents being cleared to move in, which I'm not sure if that has begun or not. They might also still be holding out hope for a crown haha

Definitely completed. I see residents coming and going on a regular basis and the front desk is staffed with a doorman.

spyguy Apr 21, 2019 6:33 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ded6f600_b.jpgChicago 2019 by John Talbot, on Flickr