SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

keg92101 May 22, 2009 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4263489)
$20 says the retail will be something the neighborhood has no need for...

Why can't we have a Trader Joes?????

Alright, I was waiting for this to happen. EVERYONE PLEASE WEIGH IN, HERE'S THE QUESTION:

WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE GO IN AT THE GROUND LEVEL RETIAL SPACE IN STRATTA? TWO ANSWERS, WANT, AND A REALISTIC GUESS.

mine:
I would love to see a Target Urban Store. http://www.newurbannews.com/TargetInsideOct05.html

My guess is that it will sit empty for three years with a for lease sign in the window. Just please no more pharmacies or sports bars!!![/QUOTE]

That is exactly what will show up.

The corner spot will probably be a dry cleaner, even though there is a 1600 SF urban plaza at the tower set back. And they will probably put in a pharmacy at the large double height area.

I think there needs to be some sort of retail sub-committee of the CCAC, that will allow input from the community as to what continues to be necessary in the area that will actually service the residents, not an attempt to extend the gaslamp east for convention tourists.

S.DviaPhilly May 23, 2009 2:15 AM

I have been reading the forum for a while and decided to join and chime in on what I would want in East Village. Both Trader Joes and Target are among them......Even though people say no more pharmacies, I would like CVS in the old Pep Boys building (I think) across from the bowling alley and new Stratta, and a Wells Fargo around the area, as I think the closest one is on 1st and Market. But of course you know another dog or pet place would just do wonderful in the area as there are not enough of them within that block.

Is there a way to contact Target or Trader Joes headquarters and let them know these spots would be great for their respective businesses?????

I also think that a lot of the empty retail will start filling in once the Thomas Jefferson law school is built and people actually hang around that area during the day (sandwich shops, etc.)

kpexpress May 23, 2009 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 4265180)
I have been reading the forum for a while and decided to join and chime in on what I would want in East Village. Both Trader Joes and Target are among them......Even though people say no more pharmacies, I would like CVS in the old Pep Boys building (I think) across from the bowling alley and new Stratta, and a Wells Fargo around the area, as I think the closest one is on 1st and Market. But of course you know another dog or pet place would just do wonderful in the area as there are not enough of them within that block.

Is there a way to contact Target or Trader Joes headquarters and let them know these spots would be great for their respective businesses?????

I also think that a lot of the empty retail will start filling in once the Thomas Jefferson law school is built and people actually hang around that area during the day (sandwich shops, etc.)

Welcome to the forum! Just curious why you say you would like to see another pharmacy go in at the old pep boys building? We do not need more dog places in the EV, we already have City Dog on Park, and Pet Food Supply three blocks from it, and the Vet on Market, and Furry Tails next to it, add another and I see one or more of the existing places going under. We already have seen Metropawlitan Dog go out of business.

PadreHomer May 23, 2009 4:41 PM

I hope they tear down the Pep Boys building. I was so happy when RiteAid fell through. No single story single use buildings surrounded by parking in downtown please!

mello May 23, 2009 5:27 PM

Can't see the pano

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4262240)
Nice pano I took this afternoon from the 19th floor of the leasing office of Smart Corner.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...martcorner.jpg

Can you try re posting it. I haven't been back in a year and a half, and a skyline shot from that vantage point is pretty rare. Stratta does look good, just wish it could have been 35 or 40 floors...

S.DviaPhilly May 23, 2009 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4265801)
Welcome to the forum! Just curious why you say you would like to see another pharmacy go in at the old pep boys building? We do not need more dog places in the EV, we already have City Dog on Park, and Pet Food Supply three blocks from it, and the Vet on Market, and Furry Tails next to it, add another and I see one or more of the existing places going under. We already have seen Metropawlitan Dog go out of business.

Thanks for the welcome......In regards to the pet places, I was being sarcastic, I think its a riot on the amount of pet places within that block. I have never seen that in any city anywhere! I like CVS's and the closest pharmacy to me is the Long's. I think a CVS would do great a few more blocks east. The Longs is not a long walk from my place (P.B.E), but when the city builds further east, we will need a pharmacy closer to all the new buildings.

Also, being from the east and from Philly, I would love to see a Dunkin Donuts come into my neighborhood (best coffee and bagels and muffins), or a WAWA! Wawa's are the best anything and everything (I know people from my neck of the woods would agree.) I also really love the market 32, bummed to hear that the bowls are over 5 bucks now. I told them as well to have two different sizes, but at least they listened to me to add blueberries to the bowl. Real awesome guys, glad they rented that house on 13th!

S.DviaPhilly May 23, 2009 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 4265896)
I hope they tear down the Pep Boys building. I was so happy when RiteAid fell through. No single story single use buildings surrounded by parking in downtown please!

I agree with that statement, but it has to be tall and cool. How about a highrise commercial building there? We need more people during the day in that part of East Village to sustain any kind of businesses there that are not bars. I would rather see a CVS then an empty building and parking lot for years though

kpexpress May 25, 2009 8:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 4266020)
I agree with that statement, but it has to be tall and cool. How about a highrise commercial building there? We need more people during the day in that part of East Village to sustain any kind of businesses there that are not bars. I would rather see a CVS then an empty building and parking lot for years though

You know what would be awesome? Is if my school (NSAD) purchased the lot and build a highrise campus! We are basically at capacity with the student population and the admin has been talking about the need to grow! They have looked at a few sites in downtown and are committed to stay in downtown. 700-1000 students rolling around the East Village during the day (and night...all night) would be a good thing. The East Village is home to many campuses, TOM J, CITY, NSAD, FIDM, SDHS, LIbrary (maybe). I wish there was more affordable housing (and not just for homeless and pedophiles) in the East Village. I would love to see more family oriented row homes in the far east village as well.

keg92101 May 26, 2009 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4268016)
You know what would be awesome? Is if my school (NSAD) purchased the lot and build a highrise campus! We are basically at capacity with the student population and the admin has been talking about the need to grow! They have looked at a few sites in downtown and are committed to stay in downtown. 700-1000 students rolling around the East Village during the day (and night...all night) would be a good thing. The East Village is home to many campuses, TOM J, CITY, NSAD, FIDM, SDHS, LIbrary (maybe). I wish there was more affordable housing (and not just for homeless and pedophiles) in the East Village. I would love to see more family oriented row homes in the far east village as well.

Well, you can buy your very own family oriented row home at the Mark for a cool Million!

cata77 May 26, 2009 11:13 PM

Why does the OAP look different??

bmfarley May 27, 2009 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 4264501)
Alright, I was waiting for this to happen. EVERYONE PLEASE WEIGH IN, HERE'S THE QUESTION:

WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE GO IN AT THE GROUND LEVEL RETIAL SPACE IN STRATTA? TWO ANSWERS, WANT, AND A REALISTIC GUESS.

Mine: I would like to see an consumer electronics store or something similar. Is it large enough for a BestBuy? Or a Staples? How about a Kinko's? Or a resturant like PF Chang's.

IconRPCV May 27, 2009 3:14 PM

I would want a Trader Joes!

keg92101 May 27, 2009 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 4272296)
I would want a Trader Joes!

I second that...

mongoXZ May 27, 2009 5:40 PM

7-11? We don't have enough of those downtown.

Derek May 28, 2009 8:16 PM

x2 on a Best Buy or a Staples or an Apple store.

kpexpress May 29, 2009 6:19 AM

One thing I love about the Apple stores that I have visited, besides the cool design [products and buidings], is that the location of all the stores have been in dense urban environments and not in malls. I would think that if Apple puts a store downtown it would go in on fifth avenue along side other higher end retail stores.

I would love to see a Trader Joes in Stratta!!

S.DviaPhilly May 29, 2009 8:22 PM

Anyone else see the sculpture outside of Vantage Point on 10th? The more art the better downtown, but what is it, angel wings?

kpexpress May 30, 2009 2:28 PM

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=107389

HurricaneHugo May 31, 2009 5:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4278069)

A bit too ambitious but I like it lol

staplesla Jun 1, 2009 5:26 AM

Vantage Point

So I heard from a friend of mine today that he's received his deposit back from Vantage Point as they still haven't received their occupancy permit. Anyone know what is going on with this place? If they don't get their act together soon I'm afraid they're going to file bankruptcy in this market and we'll be left with a huge dark building.