SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Seedy Hotels (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227856)

Jets4Life Apr 14, 2017 2:48 AM

Winnipeg Seedy Hotels

When will Winnipeg close down all the seedy bars that only are magnets for criminals and addicts. Imagine how much better Osborne Village and West Broadway would be if they redevolped the Sherbrook Inn and the Osborne Village Inn.

Eventually they can redevelop the Garrick, Winnipeg, Yale, Mount Royal, Northern, Sutherland, and all North Main Hotels. Edmonton and Calgary did the same thing, and crime has dropped in the inner city (although it has worsened in some other areas).

jmt18325 Apr 14, 2017 3:10 AM

The OVI is closed, and has been for some time?

rrskylar Apr 14, 2017 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 7772882)
When will Winnipeg close down all the seedy hotels that only are magnets for criminals and addicts. Imagine how much better Osborne Village and West Broadway would be if the closed down the Sherbrook Inn and the Osborne Village Inn.

Eventually they can tear down the Garrick, Winnipeg, Yale, Mount Royal, Northern, Sutherland, and all North Main Hotels. Edmonton and Calgary did the same thing, and crime has dropped in the inner city (although it has worsened in some other areas).

Closing the Main Street strip hotels and beverage rooms only moved the problem elsewhere, the St. Regis, Vendome, Woodbine, Windsor became worse dive bars then they already were.

DavefromSt.Vital Apr 14, 2017 4:13 AM

Does anyone know what is currently happening with the Winnipeg?

borkborkbork Apr 14, 2017 4:51 AM

They closed the Osborne Village Inn, and it's made the neighbourhood shittier.

Previously: Music venue. Beer vendor. Awesome diner.

Currently: Vacant building surrounded by construction fencing.

hexrae Apr 14, 2017 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 7772936)
Closing the Main Street strip hotels and beverage rooms only moved the problem elsewhere, the St. Regis, Vendome, Woodbine, Windsor became worse dive bars then they already were.

I thought the hotel remains but St. Regis bar was closed some time ago?

Edit: Also, if you close all the downtown locations (those listed), where does the clientele move to? Elmwood, West End, Northend, Osborne?

I live in the West End and this hotel came to mind:
http://www.concordmotorhotel.ca/

Is that a serious website for that hotel?

rrskylar Apr 14, 2017 5:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexrae (Post 7772983)

Edit: Also, if you close all the downtown locations (those listed), where does the clientele move to? Elmwood, West End, Northend, Osborne?

Actually pretty funny!

armorand93 Apr 14, 2017 7:02 AM

Quote:

It reminds me of something out of South Park...

Jets4Life Apr 14, 2017 7:46 AM

Quote:

LOL...that website is hilarious. I wonder if anyone has been duped by it.

Jets4Life Apr 14, 2017 8:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 7772936)

On a positive note, North Main (at least south of the CPR tracks), has become a lot more appealing (sans the Salvation Army/Main Street Project). I know people will always have vice, but if these seedy bars are closed, a lot of the antisocial behaviour you find drunk people associated with, will seem much less sanctioned, and it will make the areas safer.

I doubt you will get the same clientele leaping from a North Main bar to Elmwood or other close areas. The people who frequent those establishments are down on their luck, and most don't have a vehicle to drive. It's better for them to drink at home anyway.

Urban recluse Apr 14, 2017 1:41 PM

I think Main Street would be preferable with those hotels still in existence but redeveloped.
North on Main, yes, without a doubt, those hotels need to be closed and redeveloped.

In terms of Calgary and Edmonton, there was plenty to replace those seedy dives with.

buzzg Apr 14, 2017 5:22 PM

I would not consider the Sherbrook that "seedy" - sure it's low-end, but a lot of locals hang out there, socials and good parties a lot, Tallest Poppy.

The Garrick Hotel (yes, not the Garrick Centre) has become a popular music venue in recent years.

The Woodbine was taken over by new people a year or two ago. They're freshening up the place a little. Sure, not converting to boutique hotel by any means, but they put up some new signage at the front and rear entrances last week. It's full of hipsters watching music on weekends now.

There are definitely some BAD ones around that need to be closed, don't get me wrong, but they're not all horrible. Just because they're not everyone's cup of tea doesn't mean they don't provide a net benefit for the area. Woodbine in particular has been much more diligent with security in the last year or two, making sure people who are too far gone aren't hanging out outside. Plus, if it were gone - is anyone in the Exchange going to get beer after 10 pm?

tree Apr 14, 2017 6:25 PM

I noticed about last year the Windsor stopped being a vendor. It's been better around there since - wonder if it has to do with new police HQ though (lots of cars pulling out right on the corner there).

Are these places actually hotels? Whats the story with places like this. Can't see anyone paying to stay in one.

(sorry if super dumb question but I walk by the Windsor almost every day and just assumed it had people living for really cheap in the 'hotel' side of it)

1ajs Apr 14, 2017 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 7773062)
On a positive note, North Main (at least south of the CPR tracks), has become a lot more appealing (sans the Salvation Army/Main Street Project). I know people will always have vice, but if these seedy bars are closed, a lot of the antisocial behaviour you find drunk people associated with, will seem much less sanctioned, and it will make the areas safer.

I doubt you will get the same clientele leaping from a North Main bar to Elmwood or other close areas. The people who frequent those establishments are down on their luck, and most don't have a vehicle to drive. It's better for them to drink at home anyway.

They cab to the bar ever gone watched how many cabs are at those bars coming and going it's nuts

Our seedy bars have become safer over the years.

If u want to change North main someone needs to buy the new west and the suds poor money into them and make them into traveling musical hostels partner with vineyard church as they also have a recording studio in their building. Not something u would see a return on investment no doubt but a wortgy investment to boost other potential investments on the area

1ajs Apr 14, 2017 6:44 PM

Speaking of seedy bars anyone popped into the kings? Cleaned up quite a bit also herd a rummor the underground cafe is reopening in part of it

optimusREIM Apr 14, 2017 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 7773481)
Speaking of seedy bars anyone popped into the kings? Cleaned up quite a bit also herd a rummor the underground cafe is reopening in part of it

Kings head?

esquire Apr 14, 2017 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optimusREIM (Post 7773501)
Kings head?

Kings... this place on Higgins

http://now.winnipeg.ca/imagesGallery...ings_Hotel.jpg

Riverman Apr 14, 2017 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tree (Post 7773459)
I noticed about last year the Windsor stopped being a vendor. It's been better around there since - wonder if it has to do with new police HQ though (lots of cars pulling out right on the corner there).

Are these places actually hotels? Whats the story with places like this. Can't see anyone paying to stay in one.

(sorry if super dumb question but I walk by the Windsor almost every day and just assumed it had people living for really cheap in the 'hotel' side of it)

They are full of long time residents. Lots of hotels like that, I know of one person that lived in the Green Brier for 30 years.

optimusREIM Apr 14, 2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7773509)

Gotcha. Yeah that would be a great place for a café... in 20 years when more hipster condos get built and waterfront extends to the end of point Douglas

Stormer Apr 14, 2017 10:55 PM

I actually stayed at the St. Regis about 35 Years ago and still have nightmares. We were students and one of group booked us in there to save money. I recall opening the drapes and there was a brick wall outside the window.