SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   ATLANTA | Terminus 100 | 485 FT / 148 M | 26 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75642)

MidtownMile Apr 27, 2007 5:04 AM

I actually think the squattiness will help in the group. It is not one dominant tower; it is 3 that are more like sculptures in their presence. It's interesting that 1 and 3 especially look like basically the same glass box wrapped in two ways. It is a very nice piece of modern art as well as fine architecture.

smArTaLlone Apr 27, 2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john3eblover (Post 2797062)
from certain angles, I love it. from others, I hate it. sometimes it looks incredibly squatty to me. I have no idea why though.

Totally agree.

From some angles it looks like a fat stump with a pointy top and on cloudy days it has a dull grayish appearance. But from angles where the "V" is visible, especially on a clear day, it looks fantastic.

ThrashATL Apr 27, 2007 1:34 PM

That see through wedge is SICK! :slob: Would be nice if it had some subtle yet ebbing/flowing lighting from within that wedge... a slow pulsing glow.

Atlriser Apr 27, 2007 3:42 PM

I think the top is VERY beautiful and as a couple others commented today artistic and modern. I love seeing the steel underneath and can't wait til it's lit everynight.

ATLksuGUY Apr 28, 2007 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry (Post 2797930)
im just tickled after seeing the structural work in the 'fin'. damn this building is awesome.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4...early12of6.jpg

Im gonna try to get one with the sun directly behind it, unless one of you beat me to it.

whiplash3825 Apr 29, 2007 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidtownMile (Post 2798739)
I actually think the squattiness will help in the group. It is not one dominant tower; it is 3 that are more like sculptures in their presence. It's interesting that 1 and 3 especially look like basically the same glass box wrapped in two ways. It is a very nice piece of modern art as well as fine architecture.

That's true... I was bitching about the squattiness, but I think in the context of the entire complex it works much better. Now that the other buildings are being built at Terminus I feel much better about 100; I was just afraid it was going to be like the typical Atlanta multi-stage project where only the first stage is actually built (a la Promenade, Buckhead Plaza, etc.), and IMO Terminus 100 doesn't translate well as a solitary tower due to the lack of height. Other than that it's a beautiful building and it'll look great alongside the other Terminus buildings.

whiplash3825 Apr 29, 2007 1:29 PM

Now that I think of it... Buckhead Plaza after all these years has finally been built out... but not a thing like the way it was initially shown. It was supposed to have two more towers like the first but with differing heights, which looked cool to me in the 80s when it was first proposed. Unfortunately the design of the first tower hasn't aged well IMO, so maybe it's good two more similar towers weren't built.

MidtownMile Apr 29, 2007 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiplash3825 (Post 2803075)
That's true... I was bitching about the squattiness, but I think in the context of the entire complex it works much better. Now that the other buildings are being built at Terminus I feel much better about 100; I was just afraid it was going to be like the typical Atlanta multi-stage project where only the first stage is actually built (a la Promenade, Buckhead Plaza, etc.), and IMO Terminus 100 doesn't translate well as a solitary tower due to the lack of height. Other than that it's a beautiful building and it'll look great alongside the other Terminus buildings.

Absolutely. For it to stand on its own, it would have needed to be taller (somewhat significantly). And, that is a risky design for that reason. However, given Atlanta's current trends and Buckhead's current trends, I will give them that the risk of not going forward with at least one of the two other towers (which would have works as long as two towers stood there) was low.

Bottom line, it works, although I understand the hesitation if it was a solitary tower.

ReallyTired May 2, 2007 1:09 PM

I hate it.

To me, it seems like it is from the artistic vision of a trashy K Mart shopper looking for some pink curlers on a Saturday night at 8pm and dreaming of one day becoming an architect as she pulls into the KMart parking lot in her 79 Dodge, dressed to the hilt in her bathrobe. She dreams:

It should be a basic squatty box.
No, no good. Too basic, too bland.
Take a slice out of it. Ooo, that's better - but not quite there yet.
Add a little back.
There done.

"Maam, you're short 67 cents for the curlers and gum."

"Oh, sorry. I was daydreaming." :D

smArTaLlone May 2, 2007 1:37 PM

:previous: :sly::shrug:

Atlriser May 2, 2007 1:49 PM

This building is gorgeous. To really appreciate it you have to be standing close and see the beauty of the materials choosen to cover the exterior and then you get a true sense of how beautiful it is on the skyline from a distance.

john3eblover May 2, 2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReallyTired (Post 2809319)
I hate it.

To me, it seems like it is from the artistic vision of a trashy K Mart shopper looking for some pink curlers on a Saturday night at 8pm and dreaming of one day becoming an architect as she pulls into the KMart parking lot in her 79 Dodge, dressed to the hilt in her bathrobe. She dreams:

It should be a basic squatty box.
No, no good. Too basic, too bland.
Take a slice out of it. Ooo, that's better - but not quite there yet.
Add a little back.
There done.

"Maam, you're short 67 cents for the curlers and gum."

"Oh, sorry. I was daydreaming." :D

...and we have the winner of the weirdest post of the year award

CHAPINM1 May 3, 2007 12:23 AM

This is building is perfect for what it is. Great design, great angles, great facade, and great lighting at night! I'm not gonna bitch, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

ATLBlaxican May 10, 2007 8:06 PM

Can someone take pictures of the crown at hight??? Thanks!

SteveD May 10, 2007 8:16 PM

I'm still reeling from the Kmart post...

gttx May 10, 2007 10:14 PM

I heard just now on the radio that there were firetrucks at the intersection of Peachtree and Piedmont, apparently because of a fire at "one of the buildings under construction." Anyone know anything about this?

Ersh May 11, 2007 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLBlaxican (Post 2826919)
Can someone take pictures of the crown at hight??? Thanks!

Been meaning to take this for a while. :)

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Ersh777/C...inusnight1.jpg

NYC2ATX May 11, 2007 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ersh (Post 2827674)
Been meaning to take this for a while. :)

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Ersh777/C...inusnight1.jpg

whoa thats sooo nice! Its nice to see this building is finally complete.

atl2phx May 11, 2007 2:47 AM

that night shot is absolutely stunning! :cheers:

sabino86 May 11, 2007 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atl2phx (Post 2827857)
that night shot is absolutely stunning! :cheers:

I drove down GA 400 this evening, the pictures don't do this baby justice. :)