SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   [SA] New Terminal B will break ground on June 17th (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152354)

oldmanshirt Jun 6, 2008 4:26 PM

[SA] New Terminal B will break ground on June 17th

I heard a rumor about this earlier in the week, but since it was unsubstantiated I didn't feel like it deserved its own thread. Now its official, though!
~~~

Costlier airport terminal OK'd

Web Posted: 06/05/2008 11:12 PM CDT

By Patrick Driscoll
Express-News

Without a word, the City Council on Thursday approved contracts that will pump up the cost for a new airport passenger terminal by $34 million.

Half of the jump — a third more than the $100 million estimate in 2006 — is blamed on labor and material costs being increased by a local construction boom and rising fuel prices. The rest is from changes to the terminal plan, such as adding more space for tenants.

With construction costs escalating seemingly everywhere in recent years, council members apparently didn't have anything new to say Thursday, Mayor Phil Hardberger surmised after the meeting.

“It is now common knowledge that all construction costs are going up,” he said. “I think people now have just accepted that you can't build today what you had planned to build five years ago.”

If council members asked any questions about the swollen cost for San Antonio International Airport's new terminal, which will replace a dated, eight-gate building in two years, they did so in meetings with staff over the past two weeks.

The extra cost will be covered by shifting money within the airport budget, using reserve funds, and savings gained by modifying other expansion projects. About $13 million was recouped by ditching plans for consolidated staff offices.

“We need to live within our budget and the money that we have,” Airport Director Mark Webb said. “It's all paid for by those who use the airport.”

Officials made similar adjustments in 2006 when costs for a five-level parking garage, which should be completed this month, and a planned extension of a double-decked roadway ballooned by 30 percent, to $99 million. The $23 million spike has since been shaved by $4 million.

Also since then, an assistant airport director resigned under pressure, a private project manager was replaced, and a city audit said a contractor overcharged the airport $255,000.

Officials will break ground June 17 on the 251,000-square-foot, eight-gate Terminal B, and start work Monday on the $41 million elevated road that will run past it. Crews could finish the road late next year.

By the end of this month, the last of 2,800 spaces in the $44 million parking garage should open, bringing total airport parking to 9,000 spots. Officials opened 1,200 spots in the garage just before Christmas.

While much of the airport construction has been out of sight the past couple of years, travelers will be sheathed by the transformation in coming months as piers, beams and walls sprout for the elevated road and terminal.

The first big change will occur late Monday when the drop-off and pickup area for Terminal 2 is moved to make way for the two-tier road.

“I really think the community will be excited,” Webb said. “Everything we've been talking about the last couple of years will start to take shape.”

Along with a planned Terminal C that could start with five gates and go up to 11, airfield improvements, noise insulation for nearby homes, expansion of Stinson Municipal Airport and other projects through 2015, costs for the city's aviation program come to $635 million.

urbanactivist Jun 6, 2008 4:29 PM

How many terminals is SA currently?

oldmanshirt Jun 6, 2008 4:38 PM

Two. IIRC, after this new one is completed, they'll tear down the existing Terminal 2 and build Terminal C in its place.

tgannaway89 Aug 22, 2009 9:21 PM

I flew into SAT this morning and was amazed at the progress. Our airport is going to be VERY nice once this terminal is complete.

miaht82 Aug 23, 2009 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgannaway89 (Post 4419565)
I flew into SAT this morning and was amazed at the progress. Our airport is going to be VERY nice once this terminal is complete.

I'll be flying some in the next couple of weeks and next month. I'll try to snap up some closer pics. The airport Webcam shows a small portion of the progress. The departure drop-off roadway looks somewhat complete.
from the airport website
http://www.esdinteractive.com/Airpor...09:27 EDT 2009

miaht82 Sep 9, 2009 2:01 AM

Walked through the Terminal 2 drop-off area and saw that a majority of the lower level of the roadway was poured as well. The depature gate area is walled up.
It (Term. B) may not be much bigger than the current Term. 2 ,but it sure will be nicer looking.

also::previous:
no need to click the webcam link, it updates on here as well.:previous:

adtobias Sep 9, 2009 5:09 AM

to me that is silly to build a new terminal the same size as the old one

oldmanshirt Sep 9, 2009 6:11 AM

^^^Just think of it as one new large terminal being built in two phases (terminal B and terminal C).

necropolis Sep 9, 2009 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtobias (Post 4446709)

I agree but I think it was moreso an issue of lack of available space to build any larger in the spot Term B is in. Terminal C will have much more land to build on which is why it can be built out much larger

STLtoSA Sep 9, 2009 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtobias (Post 4446709)

It only seems silly if you are looking at the number of gates. There are going to be numerous additions to the terminal that will allow it to function more efficiently than the Current Terminal B. Then there is the replies that oldmanshirt and necropolis gave, which give even a larger picture...the addition of Terminal C.

For arguements sake lets say that Terminal C doesn't get built for a very long time. I this situation I would say that the construction of Terminal B would still be worth it.

tgannaway89 Jan 26, 2010 4:58 AM

Concessions for the Terminal B will include News and Sundries, Rosario's, R Sala Bebida Botana Bar, Starbucks, Big'z Burger Joint, Sip Coffee & Espresso Bar, Sbarro's Italian, Charley's Grilled Subs, and Stars (gift shop).

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...l?surround=lfn

JACKinBeantown Jan 28, 2010 1:56 PM

Any restaurants besides fast food? Come on, SA, have a real place for people to eat. On another note, I'll be sad to see the old terminal go. I grew up with it and still remember meeting my grandmother there when she'd fly in from Miami.

texboy Jan 28, 2010 10:21 PM

I believe Big'z and Rosarios are sit down not fast food if I'm not mistaken... and both San Antonio institutions!

oldmanshirt Jan 29, 2010 4:11 AM

I'd think if there were one place that fast food would be unobjectionable, it would be an airport...