SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=198935)

Offshore1 Aug 9, 2016 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7525898)
Strange you say this as I heard last week about H&M coming to St. John's. Just dismissed it as it has now been rumored for years. I heard nothing about location though.

Not familiar with H&M, but had quick look at their their web page and it looks like the GAP - yawn.
I'll miss Fog City's George Street Mess burger - best in town as far as I'm concerned.

Engibeer Aug 10, 2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 7526083)
Not familiar with H&M, but had quick look at their their web page and it looks like the GAP - yawn.
I'll miss Fog City's George Street Mess burger - best in town as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say H&M vs. The GAP is similar to The Bay vs. Sears. It's definitely a step up. Something St. John's is somehow missing.

J_Murphy Aug 10, 2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 7526083)
Not familiar with H&M, but had quick look at their their web page and it looks like the GAP - yawn.
I'll miss Fog City's George Street Mess burger - best in town as far as I'm concerned.

In my opinion, I find H&M is much better than Gap. Variety of styles, quality of the clothes and price are all better.

Arrakis Aug 11, 2016 3:46 AM

Hey, just noticed that Marshalls (Winners sister store) is looking for various store managers for St.john's on wowjobs.com website. Anyone know where they plan on opening? East end? West end?

JCE Aug 11, 2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7527430)
Hey, just noticed that Marshalls (Winners sister store) is looking for various store managers for St.john's on wowjobs.com website. Anyone know where they plan on opening? East end? West end?

In the old Future Shop location on Stavanger.

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2016 1:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 7526083)
Not familiar with H&M, but had quick look at their their web page and it looks like the GAP - yawn.
I'll miss Fog City's George Street Mess burger - best in town as far as I'm concerned.

What website? So you mean GAP is moving from downstairs to upstairs?

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2016 1:26 PM

If GAP is relocating to where Fog City is now, it could be downsizing. I was talking to a friend that works in a nearby store and she told me that the old glow golf space is now storage units for the stores in the mall, so that's not likely going to be a part of a new store.

However if GAP relocates, the current store size is not that small and they have GAP court right next to it that in theory a H&M could expand into a bit.

Offshore1 Aug 11, 2016 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7527607)
If GAP is relocating to where Fog City is now, it could be downsizing. I was talking to a friend that works in a nearby store and she told me that the old glow golf space is now storage units for the stores in the mall, so that's not likely going to be a part of a new store.

However if GAP relocates, the current store size is not that small and they have GAP court right next to it that in theory a H&M could expand into a bit.

Sorry if I created some confusion. My reference to the GAP was in reply to your Aug 9th post ( quoted by J Murphy ) which indicated that a H&M store is moving to where Fog City is located.
As far as I know there is nothing happening with the GAP.
I was just commenting that I thought H&M's clothing - as evidenced by their website - looked like the GAP's. I'm not a fashionista. :)

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2016 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 7527688)
Sorry if I created some confusion. My reference to the GAP was in reply to your Aug 9th post ( quoted by J Murphy ) which indicated that a H&M store is moving to where Fog City is located.
As far as I know there is nothing happening with the GAP.
I was just commenting that I thought H&M's clothing - as evidenced by their website - looked like the GAP's. I'm not a fashionista. :)

oh! got ya!
Yeah and looking at it further, neither space is large enough. The average H&M store is 20,000 to 25,000 square feet.

J_Murphy Aug 11, 2016 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7527899)
oh! got ya!
Yeah and looking at it further, neither space is large enough. The average H&M store is 20,000 to 25,000 square feet.

Not sure if they have many stand-alone stores, but every H&M I've ever been to have been in malls.

NewfBC Aug 11, 2016 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7527899)
oh! got ya!
Yeah and looking at it further, neither space is large enough. The average H&M store is 20,000 to 25,000 square feet.

To put it in perspective.. the current GAP location is 6991 sq ft.

Though Fog City, combined with the golf space and the small arcade would be over 15k sq ft.

http://www.crombiereit.ca/en/shop_floorplan.aspx?PID=54

Ron.

Marty_Mcfly Aug 11, 2016 8:53 PM

The rumor as old as time itself. I'll believe it when I see it :haha:

IronMan Aug 20, 2016 1:28 PM

So apparently we are getting a Marshall's store in the former Future Shop space? This seems to be a substantial addition to the retail offerings in the Stavanger Drive area! Is there any confirmation of this? The only indication I know of is the reference to a job ad.

JCE Aug 21, 2016 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 7537106)
So apparently we are getting a Marshall's store in the former Future Shop space? This seems to be a substantial addition to the retail offerings in the Stavanger Drive area! Is there any confirmation of this? The only indication I know of is the reference to a job ad.

It does show on the SmartCentres map of Stavanger Drive

http://i.imgur.com/DYgl5qR.jpg

Arrakis Aug 21, 2016 7:39 PM

Love the way they have the map drawn with Dominion and Old Navy shown on the corner of Torbay Road. Lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE (Post 7537707)
It does show on the SmartCentres map of Stavanger Drive

http://i.imgur.com/DYgl5qR.jpg


Arrakis Aug 21, 2016 7:43 PM

FYI. Relish restauran is now closed on Waldegrave Street downtown. Sign on door says closed until further notice and thanks to its customers. Sounds kinda permanent.

PoscStudent Aug 22, 2016 1:54 AM

I thought Marshalls and Winners were the same company

J_Murphy Aug 22, 2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 7538096)
I thought Marshalls and Winners were the same company

Yes, they are both owned by TJX.

Engibeer Aug 22, 2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7537860)
FYI. Relish restauran is now closed on Waldegrave Street downtown. Sign on door says closed until further notice and thanks to its customers. Sounds kinda permanent.

Extremely surprised they lasted this long. I remember when they opened in the Summer of 2012 and thinking they had a great concept with the toppings and burger choices, until I tried it out and discovered the meat was so terribly bland. Not to mention the cost for a standard meal was fairly overpriced (and I'm not one who minds spending money on dining out).

I think a Five Guys would do marvelous in St. John's although that'll likely never happen.

PoscStudent Aug 22, 2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7538232)
Yes, they are both owned by TJX.

I didn't realize they were even different. Figured they were basically the same store with two different names. Hope this doesn't end up like Future Shop and Best buy.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.