SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO │ Artista Hotel │ 8 FLOORS │ Proposed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239057)

babysal May 20, 2019 1:04 PM

SAN ANTONIO │ Artista Hotel │ 8 FLOORS │ Proposed

https://i.imgur.com/qCBIYlv.jpg

By Ryan Salchert – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
May 17, 2019, 3:32pm EDT

Developer Harris Bay is planning a 112-room boutique hotel on a 0.2-acre
downtown plot that it bought recently.

Two weeks after news broke of Essex Modern City developer Harris Bay buying a 0.2-acre plot downtown and along the River Walk, the company has released details and renderings for a 112-room boutique hotel planned for the site.

Being called the Artista Hotel, the proposed eight-story project, at 151 E. Travis St., is described as lifestyle and art-centric with a focus on celebrating the contributions of the creative community. The hotel will feature many artisan-crafted pieces such as furniture, ceramics, murals,audio and visual displays, and more. Bunkrooms are also being planned to replace some traditional hotel rooms. The hotel's lobby will be open to the public and allow access to a rooftop bar. Harris Bay said it's in negotiations on a food and beverage operator for the hotel, as well as an operations and management company to run the hotel.

JACKinBeantown May 20, 2019 1:21 PM

Great use of a tiny unused lot in a nice location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...1!4d-98.491959

UrbanTrance May 20, 2019 3:06 PM

Nice and I bet the rooftop bar will be great.

Montirob May 20, 2019 3:33 PM

A few additional renderings available on the architect's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxnKdOWlfaN/

I really like the design.

sirkingwilliam May 20, 2019 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 8578619)
Great use of a tiny unused lot in a nice location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...1!4d-98.491959

Those surface parking lots along the bend of the riverwalk are just prime for development. With everything now occurring in that area with Weston and Gray Street, we should see some exciting stuff.

KevinFromTexas Jun 2, 2019 1:10 PM

Here's the HDRC review file. It looks to be about 100 feet tall from the street.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

AwesomeSAView Jun 3, 2019 1:12 AM

I really hope this gets built!! Very nice hotel!:cheers:

21bl0wed Jun 5, 2019 2:26 PM

8 stories?! A botique hotel?! Brb apoplectic attack incoming

Fryguy Jun 5, 2019 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21bl0wed (Post 8595861)
8 stories?! A botique hotel?! Brb apoplectic attack incoming

Umm... What exactly is the issue here? A boutique (note the spelling) is about 10-15 stories. It's on a very small lot, so this mig be the max height for such an area, and it will fit in nicely.

KevinFromTexas Jun 6, 2019 3:51 PM

Well, the size of the lot isn't entirely a factor in restricting the height of a building, at least not to an extent. New York right now is building insanely skinny and tall skyscrapers on some ridiculously small lots. There's also a 345 foot hotel planned in Austin that will be just 40 feet wide on its narrow sides, and the lot it's planned for in downtown is smaller than the lot my house sits on, which isn't particularly large.

I think what it really boils down to is that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to build tall along the Riverwalk. Not just to appease the "no shadows!" crowd, but because if you're building a 300 foot building on the Riverwalk, hotel guests aren't really able to experience and appreciate the Riverwalk from so high up than if they're only 50 to 100 feet up. The Riverwalk is an incredibly intimate place, and to build something that couldn't really lend itself to affording that experience to its guests is kind of throwing away the opportunity.

JACKinBeantown Jun 6, 2019 4:13 PM

^^ Well said, Kevin.

Fryguy Jun 7, 2019 10:48 PM

True. But it can get very loud for rooms on the River side. Ive stayed at a few Riverwalk hotels, I lie being on the highest floor, looking down from such a high floor also provides a unique perspective.

Keep-SA-Lame Jun 9, 2019 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fryguy (Post 8598955)
True. But it can get very loud for rooms on the River side. Ive stayed at a few Riverwalk hotels, I lie being on the highest floor, looking down from such a high floor also provides a unique perspective.

That stretch it pretty quite though. Hardly any bars or restaurants

deeger Jul 6, 2021 12:03 AM

Looks like there’s some site prep going on here, for what exactly I’m not sure.

Restless One Jul 9, 2021 12:33 AM

To anyone here disappointed by the height of this building, it is what it is. Kevin makes a good point.

The lack of height in our DT area is not due to boutique, (notice the spelling. Spelling Nazis need not reply), hotels, but the lack of big name headquarters in San Antonio. And many of the HQ's we do have build in loop land. Tesoro has a mighty fine looking HQ... OUTSIDE of Loop 1604 off of 281 North.

Like I said, Kevin has good point. If you're going to give your visitors a good time, the quiet ambience of the river is what you're looking for. Chicago type skyscrapers on the river just ain't happening.

sirkingwilliam Jul 9, 2021 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless One (Post 9335292)
To anyone here disappointed by the height of this building, it is what it is. Kevin makes a good point.

The lack of height in our DT area is not due to boutique, (notice the spelling. Spelling Nazis need not reply), hotels, but the lack of big name headquarters in San Antonio. And many of the HQ's we do have build in loop land. Tesoro has a mighty fine looking HQ... OUTSIDE of Loop 1604 off of 281 North.

Like I said, Kevin has good point. If you're going to give your visitors a good time, the quiet ambience of the river is what you're looking for. Chicago type skyscrapers on the river just ain't happening.

That plays almost zero role in the sizes of office buildings in a city or how many skyscrapers a city has.

AwesomeSAView Jul 10, 2021 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless One (Post 9335292)

Eeeeeehhh!! Why be like all the rest of the boring American cities with towering skylines. Our skyline may not be towering, but it is beautiful, unique, and very historical. That is why we are San Antonio, a unique, historical and beautiful American city. Envied by other cities, who have tried to replicate our beautiful, unique, and historical Riverwalk. Way to go Robert Hugman!! :cheers::yes::tup:

starvinggryphon Jul 10, 2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 9336708)
Eeeeeehhh!! Why be like all the rest of the boring American cities with towering skylines. Our skyline may not be towering, but it is beautiful, unique, and very historical. That is why we are San Antonio, a unique, historical and beautiful American city. Envied by other cities, who have tried to replicate our beautiful, unique, and historical Riverwalk. Way to go Robert Hugman!! :cheers::yes::tup:

If this is sarcasm then I'm here for it! :haha:

AwesomeSAView Jul 10, 2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starvinggryphon (Post 9336885)
If this is sarcasm then I'm here for it! :haha:

Sorry, not sarcasm, but the truth! :cheers::yes::tup:

KevinFromTexas Jul 11, 2021 2:09 AM

So, on the one hand, all the rest of American cities are boring with towering skylines, but they're also replicating San Antonio's.

What other American cities are there with tons of new buildings that look old so they could replicate San Antonio? Come on...