SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   Spurs Reach Finals. San Antonio Celebrates. (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=132267)

sirkingwilliam May 31, 2007 10:12 AM

Spurs Reach Finals. San Antonio Celebrates.

The year I moved here is the year the Spurs won their second title (2003). It never gets old getting to the finals. I was downtown in that mess, it took me nearly an hour to drive from the 37 exit ramp to Crockett Street (maybe 300 feet)

http://mysa.wmod.llnwd.net/a249/o2/0...GSdowntown.wmv

In the video the freeway you see is 35 on the west side of downtown, the street with the white car lights is Market Street and the red back lights is Commerce Street. I don't think I'll venture downtown if/when they win the title if it gets that packed for simply making the finals for a fourth time. But it was sure fun. The first time I've been downtown after a big win. I heard people were doing this after they beat the Suns in the second round, I don't know how pack it got then but tonight was insane!

Mopacs May 31, 2007 1:14 PM

Yeah spurs! Should be fun to watch, especially if King James & Company end up as their opponents. We as Spurs fans really need to appreciate what we have here... the Duncan-era spurs have reached the rare heights of a dynasty, and there's no guarantee they will return after this year. They're running out of odd-years this decade! (Won championships in '99, '03,'05, now '07? , '09?) Anyway, last night's game was a true basketball clinic... as perfect a game as I've ever seen the Spurs play.

sirkingwilliam May 31, 2007 11:32 PM

Does the link work? I changed the address but it still works for me but not sure if it works for others.

JACKinBeantown Jun 1, 2007 1:31 AM

Timmy!

Jeeper Jun 1, 2007 9:35 PM

Go Spurs!

BSofA04 Jun 5, 2007 6:09 AM

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sirkingwilliam Jun 5, 2007 12:01 PM

So I take it the video works?

LittleItalyCleveland Jun 5, 2007 2:35 PM

Go Cavs!!!

Trae Jun 5, 2007 3:23 PM

I hate the Spurs. They get it done, but they are the whiniest team in the league (Duncan's baby eyes anyone, or how about Ginobili's flopping). I'll ride wit the King James bandwagon on this one.

TexasBoi Jun 5, 2007 4:09 PM

Unfortunately for the Cavaliers, they are going up against Gregg Popovich instead of Flip Saunders. Spurs win this in 5, 6 at the most.

Complex01 Jun 5, 2007 4:30 PM

Eva says GO SPURS GO...

http://www.soccerblog.com/images/Eva-Longoria.jpg

Although, i did find this, hmm... fraternizing with the enemy???

http://www.cavsnews.com/wp-content/u...a_Longoria.jpg

:yes:

bresilhac Jun 5, 2007 7:16 PM

While Spurs are being hated they collect Championship trophies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 2878918)
I hate the Spurs. They get it done, but they are the whiniest team in the league (Duncan's baby eyes anyone, or how about Ginobili's flopping). I'll ride wit the King James bandwagon on this one.

You're misguided like much of the country if you think that LeBron and those four other guys in Cleveland uniforms are going to beat the mighty Spurs. The Cavaliers have James and not much else while the Spurs are loaded with talent and looking to get even better. So get used to seeing Tim and the Spurs in the Finals in years to come. They are only getting started!! Oh yeah and...

Go Spurs Go!!!

vertex Jun 5, 2007 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bresilhac (Post 2879274)
You're misguided like much of the country if you think that LeBron and those four other guys in Cleveland uniforms are going to beat the mighty Spurs. The Cavaliers have James and not much else while the Spurs are loaded with talent and looking to get even better. So get used to seeing Tim and the Spurs in the Finals in years to come. They are only getting started!! Oh yeah and...

Go Spurs Go!!!

Oh spurs homer, you have absolutely no idea...

bresilhac Jun 5, 2007 7:25 PM

Response to a pointless post

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertex (Post 2879280)

What are you talking about? Do you doubt the greatness of the Spurs? I guess you would being from Arizona.

texboy Jun 5, 2007 7:28 PM

I get so sick of people bitching over the Spurs. They are one of the classiest teams out there! If you watch their interviews each player is so selfless and puts all the glory on their team mates...oh and God too....something you don't hear out of the other thugs in the NBA. yea they may not be an exciting team in terms of players that create drama, but then again isn't that what everyone complains about when it comes to celebrities. The Spurs are the shit, and they deserve to be in the Title game!

GO SPURS GO!!!

RUBENZ Jun 5, 2007 7:30 PM

I agree

sirkingwilliam Jun 5, 2007 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertex (Post 2879280)

The Cavs will honestly be lucky to win one game. Bummer, because it means the Spurs will win the title on the road this year. :yuck:

RUBENZ Jun 5, 2007 7:35 PM

When the hell is Austin going to get a real basketball team

JAM Jun 5, 2007 7:36 PM

Who are the Spurs and why is basketball season still going on? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

starvinggryphon Jun 5, 2007 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 2878918)

HA HA! You won't be riding very far bro........bow down BIATCH!
http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials...6/images/1.jpg

1999 / 2003 / 2005 / 2007

Trae Jun 5, 2007 8:17 PM

The Rockets have two championships, so I don't really care. Didn't the beat the Spurs in the playoffs (when you had Avery AND David Robinson):

http://www.cnn.com/EVENTS/year_in_re...r_9houston.gif
On June 14, the Houston Rockets became the sixth team in NBA history to win consecutive titles as they swept the Orlando Magic in four straight games. The Rockets were led by their dominating center, Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon., who bested Orlando's powerful middle man, Shaquille O'Neal.

Many people doubted Houston could outdo its '93-'94 playoff scenario when, as the sixth-seeded team, it won its way to the title without a home court advantage. Even so, the Rockets blasted their way through the likes of San Antonio, Utah, Phoenix and Orlando -- four teams with the best won-lost regular season records -- to win their second straight championship.

jaga185 Jun 5, 2007 8:52 PM

This is going to be an interesting series, and I am extremely eager to watch it! The Cavs will in one or two games, but the Spurs will come out on top, 4th championship baby!

Double L Jun 5, 2007 9:41 PM

The Spurs are just boring to watch. I watched a couple of their games when I first moved here, but after a few games, I just stuck to watching the Rockets. The Rockets are a good team at working together and each member playing off the others to have good teamwork.

The spurs tend to use the most basic plays and have a good series of shooters that can get them more points in order to win games. However, because they tend to use the most basic gameplays, a Spurs game is a boring experience.

ArizonaTexan Jun 5, 2007 9:48 PM

If four Larry O'Brien trophies = boring?...I hope to be the dullest person around.

Double L Jun 5, 2007 10:00 PM

Yes, it is boring. I watch their plays and it is basic run accross the court and shoot plays. They don't use any strategy. Their only saving grace is that they have good point makers. If that's what you want then go for it. However, it is boring as a form of entertainment.

ArizonaTexan Jun 5, 2007 10:06 PM

I always found cat juggling to be quite entertaining.

TexasBoi Jun 5, 2007 10:42 PM

And I find the Spurs to be entertaining. I'm sorry if they don't have all the showtime dunks and the behind the next passes and etc. etc. etc. like these other teams who are sitting watching on their couch. The Spurs play exceptional basketball with their unselfishness and their grit. They do all the essentials to win a championship.

rs913 Jun 5, 2007 11:02 PM

Yeah, seems like this one is basically LeBron vs. the World (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Finley, Bowen...) World wins.

vertex Jun 5, 2007 11:40 PM

The front office has announced a new logo for next season...

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9...upsmalljs6.jpg
:jester:

texboy Jun 5, 2007 11:47 PM

I don't get it....

Quote:

The Spurs are just boring to watch. I watched a couple of their games when I first moved here, but after a few games, I just stuck to watching the Rockets. The Rockets are a good team at working together and each member playing off the others to have good teamwork.
well if boring gets the job done...then it gets the job done....you can keep your Rockets. ;-)

jaga185 Jun 6, 2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertex (Post 2879886)

I don't get it either.

jaga185 Jun 6, 2007 12:01 AM

double

Complex01 Jun 6, 2007 12:18 AM

LOL, an asterisk ...

as·ter·isk

–noun 1. a small starlike symbol (*), used in writing and printing as a reference mark or to indicate omission, doubtful matter, etc.

I am ready for a beer, lets get this party started...

:cheers:

TexasBoi Jun 6, 2007 2:03 AM

Tell Amare and Diaw to stay on the bench and everything is gravy.:haha:

alexjon Jun 6, 2007 2:49 AM

This Suns/Pistons finals series is going to be great

Wait, what are you saying?

Non-sucky teams have made it through?

Oh, well alright then!

starvinggryphon Jun 6, 2007 8:03 PM

^^^
Ha ha ha. And as for that asterisk, I can see you puckering from here with your sour grapes!

sirkingwilliam Jun 6, 2007 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertex (Post 2879886)

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs_331_preview.jpg

What are the Suns pointing at?

sirkingwilliam Jun 6, 2007 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 2879653)
Yes, it is boring. I watch their plays and it is basic run accross the court and shoot plays. They don't use any strategy. Their only saving grace is that they have good point makers. If that's what you want then go for it. However, it is boring as a form of entertainment.

From your posts I can tell you watch very little NBA basketball. I think your Houston bias (for sports) plays more into this than any actual basketball analyzing on your part. First, the Spurs usually apply a motion offense which calls for a lot of pick and roles, very similar to Phoenix. When they do go into their half court offense they 7 out of 10 times go with 4 down which is give the ball to Tim, if he can't get anything he dishes out to the wing or three point line.

Houston, with Van Gundy, had to be one of the slowest and boriest teams in the NBA along with Detroit and Minny. Their only redeeming piece is Tracy McGrady but he's now too injured to be explosive and to streaky to be a good shooter. Dunks carry you only so far, just look at his cousin Vince Carter. Are the Spurs the most exciting team in the NBA? No, but they're not anywhere near the most boring either.

Double L Jun 6, 2007 9:45 PM

I like to watch The Rockets better because they are known for having good teamwork and strong assists, that's why I like to watch their games better because the players know how to feed off of each other and follow each others moves. They're very organized, they just don't have the best point makers outside of the top two. It's great entertainment to watch them feed off of each other.

I said the Spurs "Use the most basic plays", and that's in agreement with your assessment. The Spurs are known as a slow team, that's why they decided to hire Micheal Finley. They hired him because they knew what they needed was an energetic player and that's what they needed.

You have no right to claim that I have a Houston bias, I said that I watched the Spurs when I first moved here and was open to becoming a fan, but then I decided that I didn't like the team because of their basic "run across and shoot" plays, just like what you described.

ArizonaTexan Jun 6, 2007 10:35 PM

NBA teams "sign" players not "hire" them.

sirkingwilliam Jun 6, 2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 2881827)
I like to watch The Rockets better because they are known for having good teamwork and strong assists, that's why I like to watch their games better because the players know how to feed off of each other and follow each others moves. They're very organized, they just don't have the best point makers outside of the top two. It's great entertainment to watch them feed off of each other.

No offense whatsoever, are you from another country? Your grammar and use of words (point makers?) stand out as someone from another country speaking in broken english/using terms from their countrys main sport. As for what you said, the Spurs are the epitome of team basketball. They lead the NBA in assists per game. If that doesn't tell you how much a team they are, I don't know what does.

Quote:

I said the Spurs "Use the most basic plays", and that's in agreement with your assessment.
Motion offense isn't a basic play. Could you please define what you think a basic play is, because the motion offense the Spurs use is anything buy basic.

Quote:

The Spurs are known as a slow team, that's why they decided to hire Micheal Finley. They hired him because they knew what they needed was an energetic player and that's what they needed.
Michael Finley isn't an energetic player, they signed him because he was released from his contract and is a great outside shooter. Michael Finley would not solve any "slowness" of any team, the guy is 34 years old playing with a bad back and bad knees. The Spurs are anything but slow, just look at this years playoffs, out of the 16 teams who made the playoffs, they are currently 5th in points per game at 98 points a game. Who is dead last? Houston at 87 points per game. Cleveland who we are facing in the finals, 10th at 91 points a game.

No offense, do you watch any basketball whatsoever? I say that simply because of the strange terminology you've used so far in your posts as well as calling Michael Finley energetic. It makes me think you are either from another country trying to adapt to the sport or are someone who rarely watches the NBA and is now trying to engage in a discussion about the NBA.

Quote:

You have no right to claim that I have a Houston bias, I said that I watched the Spurs when I first moved here and was open to becoming a fan, but then I decided that I didn't like the team because of their basic "run across and shoot" plays, just like what you described.
Could you explain to me what "plays" the Rockets run during a game that is different from anything 90% of the league runs as well.

ArizonaTexan Jun 7, 2007 12:57 AM

Boring? Cheaters? Dirty?

If the Spurs are all of the above mentioned, why do other organizations try to emulate them: Dallas, Seattle, Cleveland, Phoenix? Every one of these organizations has hired a Gregg Popovich pupil or front office executive with hopes of transforming their teams into, hold your breathe, here it goes...the San Antonio Spurs!

Double L Jun 7, 2007 1:40 AM

I will tell you right now buddy...don't you dare insult me personally.

I don't appreciate several paragraphs of angry banter on frivolous issues. No, I'm not from another country but what if I was? Would that have been right for you to insult? Do you have a problem with people from another country? Or maybe you just don't like people without perfect english? Now, I don't take the forum nearly as seriously as you and I don't want to organize a scholarly essay every time I type just because it is your preference.
So back off.

As for the teams, maybe I'm talking about something that isn't contained in the "play". I'm talking about how well the teams players work together. The Spurs motion play is simple in that regard. I have every right to prefer a different style of which I think is more entertaining because it puts a greater emphasis on teamwork which is a good quality. You have no right to argue a preference of which is my own.

Now from post #38 on, there was nothing but aggression in this conversation and I fully believe that I don't want to continue it because I don't even have a great passion on the issue which necessitates arguing an irrelevant topic.

texboy Jun 7, 2007 1:51 AM

not gonna lie Double L....you should probably stop while your ahead.

Double L Jun 7, 2007 2:33 AM

As, I said, it is a non-debateable topic and is frivolous to argue.

sirkingwilliam Jun 7, 2007 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 2882243)
I don't appreciate several paragraphs of angry banter on frivolous issues. No, I'm not from another country but what if I was? Would that have been right for you to insult? Do you have a problem with people from another country? Or maybe you just don't like people without perfect english? Now, I don't take the forum nearly as seriously as you and I don't want to organize a scholarly essay every time I type just because it is your preference.
So back off.

I never meant it as an insult, if I remember correctly I said "no offense" meaning I wasn't trying to insult you. It was a serious question because of the terms you used in describing the NBA. Terms I've never heard before.

Quote:

As for the teams, maybe I'm talking about something that isn't contained in the "play". I'm talking about how well the teams players work together. The Spurs motion play is simple in that regard. I have every right to prefer a different style of which I think is more entertaining because it puts a greater emphasis on teamwork which is a good quality. You have no right to argue a preference of which is my own.
I am not arguing your preference, I am simply correcting your incorrect portrayal of how the Spurs play basketball, their style. Which is why I asked if you've ever watched the NBA before because what you were saying wasn't anywhere near the truth.

sirkingwilliam Jun 7, 2007 7:45 PM

Let the finals begin!

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/...6_26_56_pm.jpg

ArizonaTexan Jun 7, 2007 7:47 PM

What an awesome picture! I'll be rooting for my Spurs here in Phoenix!:cheers:

sirkingwilliam Jun 7, 2007 7:47 PM

FYI, for the height lovers here that trophy is 40 feet high.

sakyle04 Jun 7, 2007 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 2883689)
FYI, for the height lovers here that trophy is 40 feet high.

kevin - can you add the trophy to emporis?:haha: :haha: :haha: