SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | The Arthaus @ 311 S. Broad | 542 FT | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208875)

Philly Fan May 16, 2014 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6580567)
Article on this from PlanPhilly:

I think this tower is in fact 47 floors, not 46

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...rs-last-hurdle

Maybe we can get them to add a few more feet to push this one over 600, like we got Brandywine to push FMC over 700. :P

summersm343 May 16, 2014 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly Fan (Post 6580721)
Maybe we can get them to add a few more feet to push this one over 600, like we got Brandywine to push FMC over 700. :P

All we need is one more floor! :yes:

Haha

blorkishdork May 16, 2014 4:37 PM

I really want to like this project, but man, I just can't get on-board with it. From a skyline perspective it is wonderful. It'll be nice to get another tall (+500') building away from the cluster around suburban station (and also south of walnut). But everything else about this project bothers me. I do wish it was a classic-styled building and not a box. The thing I love about Broad street is all the big bulky pre-war buildings making a huge canyon (think 1 south broad, Ritz-Carlton, the Atlantic building etc.) to me it just does not fit in with the glass box. I know most people hate Symphony house, but I like it more and I feel it fits in better with broad street more than SLS. I think more people would have liked Symphony House if it wasn't pink (I wonder if funneling all the smog from the cities smoke stacks at Symphony house would alter the color enough that it would look better). And then there is all the parking (on a subway line) and removal of a street from the grid etc. etc. I just can't seem to share in the excitement.

Baconboy007 May 16, 2014 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blorkishdork (Post 6580744)
I really want to like this project, but man, I just can't get on-board with it. From a skyline perspective it is wonderful. It'll be nice to get another tall (+500') building away from the cluster around suburban station (and also south of walnut). But everything else about this project bothers me. I do wish it was a classic-styled building and not a box. The thing I love about Broad street is all the big bulky pre-war buildings making a huge canyon (think 1 south broad, Ritz-Carlton, the Atlantic building etc.) to me it just does not fit in with the glass box. I know most people hate Symphony house, but I like it more and I feel it fits in better with broad street more than SLS. I think more people would have liked Symphony House if it wasn't pink (I wonder if funneling all the smog from the cities smoke stacks at Symphony house would alter the color enough that it would look better). And then there is all the parking (on a subway line) and removal of a street from the grid etc. etc. I just can't seem to share in the excitement.

If it was a big bulky pre-war building it would funnel too much wind, this sleek building is more aerodynamic. :haha: I think that a modern building on the block will help cut it up a bit and make you appreciate the older buildings more.

Look at the Ritz residents and the Ritz-Carlton, I think the two work off each other well.

summersm343 May 16, 2014 5:04 PM

This is a beautiful modern building, and I'm agree that the modern buildings like this tend to go well with older historic buildings.

I think we should all be happy we are getting this. Much better than what is there now and more residents and tourists adding more foot traffic to South Broad will be a welcome addition!

Philly Fan May 16, 2014 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconboy007 (Post 6580789)
If it was a big bulky pre-war building it would funnel too much wind, this sleek building is more aerodynamic. :haha:

Exactly. There's WAY too much wind in Center City because of all the tall buildings, and it's only going to get worse.

I'm VERY concerned that with the construction of CITC--and that proposed tower at 19th and Chestnut--we may create a windy vortex of epic proportions. :uhh:

iheartphilly May 16, 2014 5:13 PM

And, it's 2014. Other major cities (domestic and abroad) are well ahead of us with modern skyscrapers and from a big picture, it's nice to see a mix of the old and new in proximity of each other.

shakman May 16, 2014 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartphilly (Post 6580817)
And, it's 2014. Other major cities (domestic and abroad) are well ahead of us with modern skyscrapers and from a big picture, it's nice to see a mix of the old and new in proximity of each other.

Absolutely agreed. :yes: I think a variety of architectural styles gives character to a city's skyline as oppose to numerous structures from one era. It give the skyline an appearance of economic growth spread out through the various generations of architectural styles. Thus giving its own identity.

josef May 16, 2014 7:49 PM

I actually think this is a super sexy building, I love the mix of elements. So much better than the Pepto Bismol House.

apetrella802 May 16, 2014 8:27 PM

"If it were a big bulky pre-war building it would funnel too much wind,"

The PSFS building 1929-1931 is pre war and has cantilevered south elevation 80+ years ahead of SLS!

mmikeyphilly May 16, 2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly Fan (Post 6580816)
Exactly. There's WAY too much wind in Center City because of all the tall buildings, and it's only going to get worse.

I'm VERY concerned that with the construction of CITC--and that proposed tower at 19th and Chestnut--we may create a windy vortex of epic proportions. :uhh:

I'm looking forward to Category 5 Hurricane force winds!
You know, that same person who complained about the wind probably never lived thru a hurricane. I, however, speak from experience. I lived in Florida(in the Keys) just in time for Katrina, Rita, AND Wilma! All in a time span of 3 months! God, I never wanna do that again:( Oh, and I was living in a trailer too! ) I'm lucky to be alive today!

mmikeyphilly May 16, 2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josef (Post 6581138)
I actually think this is a super sexy building, I love the mix of elements. So much better than the Pepto Bismol House.

Me too! Have you seen the SLS in Miami? Even sexier:yes:

josef May 16, 2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly (Post 6581364)
Me too! Have you seen the SLS in Miami? Even sexier:yes:

Oh that's funny, it has similar aesthetics, but it's put together in a different much different configuration. Cool!

philadelphiathrives May 21, 2014 8:53 PM

new article about SLS

New article about the SLS:

http://philadelphiaheights.wordpress...-broad-street/

:cheers: :D :cool:

Baconboy007 May 22, 2014 3:33 PM

wait a tic! the tower is on the broad street side!?! For some reason I thought that the was on spruce and would be offset from Broad Street. :???:

Philly-Drew May 22, 2014 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blorkishdork (Post 6580744)

I respectfully disagree. I feel as though the renderings are amazing, and if the building is true to the renderings, then this building will be a trophy on S. Broad st.

MadhattersLT Jul 22, 2014 4:37 AM

Don't know if it just got delivered or I'm just noticing it but a large dumpster is on site. It looks like they're clearing some of the brush.

mPhilly Jul 23, 2014 3:17 AM

White notices went up on the windows of the old building. I was running late so didn't stop to read them. I walk by everyday, maybe I'll check it out tomorrow.

McBane Jul 23, 2014 1:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly-Drew (Post 6587452)
I respectfully disagree. I feel as though the renderings are amazing, and if the building is true to the renderings, then this building will be a trophy on S. Broad st.

Agreed. All those copycat towers and buildings throughout the city look super cheesy. A modern jewel will look great next to those grand old buildings. On the contrary, the SymPHONY House looks all the more fake surrounded by towers actually built with real limestone and brick, not cheap pre-fab cladding. Maybe in Dallas or KoP, people wouldn't notice how obviously fake it looks. The American Revolution Museum (which will sit right next to the beautiful Customs House) may end up taking SH's crown for most obviously fake looking cheap crap built in this city.

SLS on the other hand will be great and I can't wait to see this construction start.

philly13 Jul 25, 2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBane (Post 6665720)
The American Revolution Museum (which will sit right next to the beautiful Customs House) may end up taking SH's crown for most obviously fake looking cheap crap built in this city.

Is that the one Stern is butchering? I usually like his work but those museum renderings look really bad.

jsbrook Aug 2, 2014 7:45 PM

I live nearby and walked by today. Zoning permits (dated 7/14/2014) are up the length of the site. From Utrecht to the lot next to the church. I took a picture that shows the particulars if you zoom in but am new to the forum and don't know how to post it. Any intel on when demolition will begin? And how we can ensure they maintain the current plans for the façade and we don't end up with another Symphony House?

Kidphilly Aug 3, 2014 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 6678397)
I live nearby and walked by today. Zoning permits (dated 7/14/2014) are up the length of the site. From Utrecht to the lot next to the church. I took a picture that shows the particulars if you zoom in but am new to the forum and don't know how to post it. Any intel on when demolition will begin? And how we can ensure they maintain the current plans for the façade and we don't end up with another Symphony House?

imagine with the SLS joint venture the materials will be better - they like high end facade

jsbrook Aug 3, 2014 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidphilly (Post 6678914)
image with the SLS joint venture the materials will be better - they like high end facade

Great. Yes, the one in Miami is nice too. Hopefully that will be enough to keep this on track. I actually like the rendering of this one better than the Miami residences.

gd1 Aug 4, 2014 2:24 PM

Is is this for sure being built, or is it still Proposed/Approved?

Jawnadelphia Aug 4, 2014 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1 (Post 6679634)
Is is this for sure being built, or is it still Proposed/Approved?

It's a GO

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/47...al_hurdle.html

Flyers2001 Aug 4, 2014 2:40 PM

Great News! I know the demo might take some time, but when this is built it will stand out nicely in its location for a long time.

Hoiipefully this will continue to spur development on this section of Broad.

:cheers:

summersm343 Aug 7, 2014 2:37 PM

From Curbed Philly. Work should begin soon

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...ernational.php

Jawnadelphia Aug 7, 2014 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6683406)
From Curbed Philly. Work should begin soon

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...ernational.php

Cool, thanks.
At just about 600 ft..., at this location - this one is going to look very big. Thinking of the south skyline view, coming up 95, or from Phillies game ... should really stand out.

The further south development moves down Broad the better. Broad/Washington next hopefully (I'm talking to you, Bart!).

McBane Aug 7, 2014 4:46 PM

And from the east and west vantage points as well, since there isn't anything really tall impeding the view. I think it will even show up on the drive down (southbound) 95. I really like everything about it from what I've seen. Hard to believe it's the same guy who gave us the SH.

1487 Aug 7, 2014 7:04 PM

you will really notice this coming north on 76 from university city. YOu really get good looks at the Drake and symphony house from that angle. We really need more hi rises east of broad so this is good. This building and the Lit brothers tower will be pretty noticeable. The 5th and walnut condo building probably wont be too noticeable. Hopefully one day there will be something as prominent (or larger) than the St. James built east of broad.

Kidphilly Aug 7, 2014 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 6683818)
you will really notice this coming north on 76 from university city. YOu really get good looks at the Drake and symphony house from that angle. We really need more hi rises east of broad so this is good. This building and the Lit brothers tower will be pretty noticeable. The 5th and walnut condo building probably wont be too noticeable. Hopefully one day there will be something as prominent (or larger) than the St. James built east of broad.

agree on East Broad

And yes will be much taller by the drake in this image
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dharma...-gtVPzp-4FKcxU

will also be noticeable from 95 heading south
https://www.flickr.com/photos/225165...A-S2Z5u-71jMwB

while not a great shot this will stick up to the left of the PSFS in this shot coming south on 95 - with this and the new mellon tower the skyline will look extended - FMC will also fill the western side on this approach

Also from Camden it will fill space between the St James and Soc Hill towers
https://www.flickr.com/photos/richar...-8Byg1M-f2iuma

summersm343 Aug 18, 2014 2:35 PM

According to 1487 there are several workers and some machinery on site.

PhiLaw Aug 18, 2014 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6695483)
According to 1487 there are several workers and some machinery on site.

I can corroborate this. Walked by today after getting off the subway. Workers on site, as well as tons of concrete blocks. I am not sure what the slabs are for (seems premature) but there is definitely activity going on at this site.

Cro Burnham Aug 18, 2014 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhiLaw (Post 6695497)
I can corroborate this. Walked by today after getting off the subway. Workers on site, as well as tons of concrete blocks. I am not sure what the slabs are for (seems premature) but there is definitely activity going on at this site.

Prior news reports said first step is interior asbestos removal. I assume stuff may have something to do with that.

1487 Aug 18, 2014 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cro Burnham (Post 6695618)
Prior news reports said first step is interior asbestos removal. I assume stuff may have something to do with that.

you definitely wouldnt need a concrete truck for asbestos removal so Im not sure what is going on. Perhaps some work is taking place to brace one of the nearby structures or party walls.

summersm343 Aug 18, 2014 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 6695745)
you definitely wouldnt need a concrete truck for asbestos removal so Im not sure what is going on. Perhaps some work is taking place to brace one of the nearby structures or party walls.

Hmmm. The only bracing or protection I could see would be for the church. The other buildings will be demo'd.

cubanChris Aug 18, 2014 7:29 PM

Is asbestos removal something that requires enough equipment or trucks that we absolutely would have noticed its removal? Or is it possible they have been working on that this summer and could potentially be finished with it?

I know the new south street CHoP tower is going through that and only cited a team of 8-12 or so to be doing the work... Probably not, just don't know how much beyond the worker's individual safety equipment would make the ongoing work obvious.

mPhilly Aug 19, 2014 1:52 AM

Noticed the lights on in first floor of the PIR building last few days I've walked by. Didn't see anybody coming or going though.

1487 Aug 19, 2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubanChris (Post 6695922)
Is asbestos removal something that requires enough equipment or trucks that we absolutely would have noticed its removal? Or is it possible they have been working on that this summer and could potentially be finished with it?

I know the new south street CHoP tower is going through that and only cited a team of 8-12 or so to be doing the work... Probably not, just don't know how much beyond the worker's individual safety equipment would make the ongoing work obvious.

You would see very few signs on the outside of asbestos removal. They do have to seal off entrances with plastic and have a special entrance to the building during the removal process but you wouldnt see a ton of trucks or outside action. We need someone to get some pics of this site to figure out what is going on. Its got to be related to demo of the PIR building in some way.

summersm343 Aug 19, 2014 4:10 PM

Article about this and a zoning notice on site!

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/zon...rden-site.html

jsbrook Aug 20, 2014 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6697061)
Article about this and a zoning notice on site!

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/zon...rden-site.html

I sent CurbedPhilly pictures of the zoning notice I took back near the beginning of August, and they did a post on it. You can zoom in and see the actual notice. It's dating 7/14, but they didn't put up till a few days after that. They're up the length of the property from utrecht to the church,

sharkfood Sep 17, 2014 10:26 PM

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Carl Dranoff said Spring 2015 for this project to break ground.

Jawnadelphia Sep 17, 2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkfood (Post 6733738)
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Carl Dranoff said Spring 2015 for this project to break ground.

Hey, not so bad. We have so many other projects to keep us busy until next Spring. :tup:

summersm343 Sep 18, 2014 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkfood (Post 6733738)

We can wait :)

Glad to know it's coming. Looks like he will have two projects rising simultaneously.

summersm343 Sep 29, 2014 3:41 PM

Quote:

Next up for Dranoff on the Avenue is the SLS International Hotel and Residences. Announced to much fanfare in 2013, the Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed hotel-condo tower will be the city's tallest residential building as well as the tallest building on Broad Street. Although things have been quiet since the announcement, Dranoff said he is ready to roll with the project.

"The SLS Hotel and Residences will break ground next year, and this will completely change the character of South Broad Street," he said. "Unless you've been to an SLS hotel in another part of the country, you have no idea how much glamour they will be putting on the street." SLS owner sbe currently operates hotels in Los Angeles, Miami Beach and Las Vegas, with a fourth set to open in New York next year. The Philadelphia property, set to open in 2016, will be the chain's fifth and its second to combine hotel rooms and residences.

And in keeping with the formula that has brought Dranoff success on South Broad thus far, restaurants will be a key component of the project. "Most hotels get two-thirds of their revenue from room rentals and one-third from food and beverage sales," he said. "They're the opposite of that, because their restaurants are so over-the-top, they're incredible."

And Dranoff won't be done with South Broad Street when SLS opens, either. "We have other buildings in mind on South Broad, but we're not ready to disclose what they are," he said.
http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/dra...-the-arts.html

Jawnadelphia Sep 29, 2014 4:09 PM

"And Dranoff won't be done with South Broad Street when SLS opens, either. "We have other buildings in mind on South Broad, but we're not ready to disclose what they are," he said."

My reaction ...
[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...riday-damn.jpg[/IMG]

jsbrook Sep 29, 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6747692)

I maintain that I'd like see a nice highrise replace that hideous parking lot next to Perch Pub and right by the Bellevue. Aside from SLS, Dranoff is not winning any design awards from me. His buildings generally range from meh to hideous (Symphony House). But he's learned a few things since those early days. And while I don't love his buildings, I DO love that he IS building. And trying to force areas of the city to evolve and improve.

jsbrook Sep 29, 2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 6748350)
I maintain that I'd like see a nice highrise replace that hideous parking lot next to Perch Pub and right by the Bellevue. Aside from SLS, Dranoff is not winning any design awards from me. His buildings generally range from meh to hideous (Symphony House). But he's learned a few things since those early days. And while I don't love his buildings, I DO love that he IS building. And trying to force areas of the city to evolve and improve.

I do love SLS. I've had some great nights there in other cities. It's going to do great things for the street. Nice that it will be open before 2018 too (unlike some other trendy hotels opening around these parts. cough)

summersm343 Oct 15, 2014 9:22 PM

Just saw on the news that the Philadelphia International Records letters are being removed and the building will soon see demolition.

Philly Fan Oct 15, 2014 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6769902)
Just saw on the news that the Philadelphia International Records letters are being removed and the building will soon see demolition.

That's what happens when YOU become a moderator. :yes:

:cheers: :rock: :righton: :fireworks: