SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   CHICAGO | Politics and Current Events (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213683)

the urban politician Dec 31, 2015 10:29 PM

^ I don't know. That poll was over 3 weeks ago.

I think I'd like to see how he responds. What action he takes as a response to this.

I don't think he will ever see widespread popularity after this, nor is he likely to win a reelection effort against a decent opponent (a rarity around here), but I do think he can win back some support if he makes serious reforms to the CPD.

k1052 Jan 2, 2016 4:10 PM

As a mayor in his second term he bears much responsibility for the events that have transpired on his watch. By extension so do his predecessors, the city council going back decades, and citizenry at large for not demanding better from our police and electeds. I'd much rather see him actually fix CPD once and for all instead of quit. I don't want another head on a plate...I want results.

Via Chicago Jan 3, 2016 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 7285769)
I'd much rather see him actually fix CPD once and for all instead of quit.

OK, what is the solution?

Vlajos Jan 4, 2016 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 7284857)
Pretty good read..and depressing. Rahm is done. Don't really know where Chicago goes from here, politically. I think his exit is a lot sooner than many of us might expect.

The Sudden But Well-Deserved Fall of Rahm Emanuel
By Rick Perlstein

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-...f-rahm-emanuel

Here is the poll Perlstein references regarding how many Chicagoans think Rahm should resign:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/292630702/Emanuel-Poll

Nah, Rahm is very unlikely to quit. And there really is no reason for him to do so. I agree he will not be Mayor after the next election, he probably won't run again anyway.

emathias Jan 4, 2016 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 7287272)
Nah, Rahm is very unlikely to quit. And there really is no reason for him to do so. I agree he will not be Mayor after the next election, he probably won't run again anyway.

The next election is a long way off. It's possible for him to work his way out of the hole he's dug for himself. Is it the most likely outcome? I don't know, but I think it's possible and too early to rule him out. To be sure, any successor will have just as many problems as he does, if not more.

Vlajos Jan 4, 2016 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 7287350)
The next election is a long way off. It's possible for him to work his way out of the hole he's dug for himself. Is it the most likely outcome? I don't know, but I think it's possible and too early to rule him out. To be sure, any successor will have just as many problems as he does, if not more.

Good point. The election is a long way off. A lot can and will change.

Baronvonellis Jan 5, 2016 5:55 PM

The people protesting him now I'm sure didn't vote for him in the election anyway. And that poll was done about a week after the video was released. I'm curious what the poll would say today, or 6 months from now after interest has died down.

ardecila Jan 5, 2016 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 7285769)
I'd much rather see him actually fix CPD once and for all instead of quit. I don't want another head on a plate...I want results.

Agreed. The awkward situation Rahm is in right now might finally push him to take on the rank-and-file of CPD and pursue some serious reforms.

Of course, I don't think anyone's really cracked this nut yet in America, so there aren't any easy answers.

Expanded use of non-lethal force would at least help with the problem of deaths. Why not send cops out with rubber bullets instead of actual ones, and properly train cops in how to use them? Other weapons like tasers and flashbangs would help as well.

k1052 Jan 5, 2016 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7288682)
Agreed. The awkward situation Rahm is in right now might finally push him to take on the rank-and-file of CPD and pursue some serious reforms.

Of course, I don't think anyone's really cracked this nut yet in America, so there aren't any easy answers.

Expanded use of non-lethal force would at least help with the problem of deaths. Why not send cops out with rubber bullets instead of actual ones, and properly train cops in how to use them? Other weapons like tasers and flashbangs would help as well.

Body and dash cams also should be mandatory across the board with clear cut provisions on how the video should be stored and released to the public. Non-lethal force options should be more readily available but those can present their own issues as well if not properly implemented. Destruction of evidence and lying on reports should be rewarded with terminations.

I doubt CPD will ever be close to perfect but it surely could withstand a considerable amount of improvement. I think the department is pretty much out of ways to oppose reform in light of recent events and a justice department probe.

LaSalle.St.Station Jan 12, 2016 5:25 AM

GE Healthcare is relocating to Chicago from London. Rahm loves the city, he's been instrumental in getting many of these moves.

Notyrview Jan 12, 2016 12:59 PM

Rahm loves the business core of the city. I don't know too much about the whole city. He likes covering up murder though.

the urban politician Jan 12, 2016 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 7296247)
Rahm loves the business core of the city. I don't know too much about the whole city. He likes covering up murder though.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's all Rahm. No mayor before him ever loved downtown or presided over a corrupt police department.

Anyhow, it's the "business core of the city" that built this magnificent skyline, like it or hate it. That goes all the way back to the origins of the skyscraper.

urbanpln Jan 12, 2016 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station (Post 7296121)
GE Healthcare is relocating to Chicago from London. Rahm loves the city, he's been instrumental in getting many of these moves.

I think you're probably giving one person too much credit here. There are a lot of different reasons that Chicago continues to attract certain businesses. Although Rahm has been a great cheerleader there are other assets that are at play. The City remains attractive to businesses due to its transportation network, great cultural life, strong business culture, affordable cost of living, and other quality of life strengths that young workers want. If he wasn't there, the City would continue to attract businesses. The only real danger that I see is the political disfunction at the State level, and uncertainty that is trickling down to the City.

Vlajos Jan 12, 2016 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanpln (Post 7296388)
I think you're probably giving one person too much credit here. There are a lot of different reasons that Chicago continues to attract certain businesses. Although Rahm has been a great cheerleader there are other assets that are at play. The City remains attractive to businesses due to its transportation network, great cultural life, strong business culture, affordable cost of living, and other quality of life strengths that young workers want. If he wasn't there, the City would continue to attract businesses. The only real danger that I see is the political disfunction at the State level, and uncertainty that is trickling down to the City.

Not if Chuy or someone like him were Mayor.

Via Chicago Jan 12, 2016 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 7296476)
Not if Chuy or someone like him were Mayor.

B.S.

chicagos advantages and disadvantages are entrenched. one individual will have very little effect one way or another on those things. people are moving to the city because they want to live in interesting neighborhoods, not because Rahm Emmanuel is mayor. commuting preferences are changing. businesses have no choice but to react if they want to attract top talent. this is happening in every major city in the United States, not just Chicago. we also have O'Hare, top research universities, and a vibrant cultural scene. if Chuy was elected none of these things would cease to exist. there may be less blatant pandering to the corporate class, but id have no problem with that personally. if someone wants to relocate here, they can do so without handouts.

Vlajos Jan 12, 2016 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 7296770)
B.S.

chicagos advantages and disadvantages are entrenched. one individual will have very little effect one way or another on those things. people are moving to the city because they want to live in interesting neighborhoods, not because Rahm Emmanuel is mayor. commuting preferences are changing. businesses have no choice but to react if they want to attract top talent. this is happening in every major city in the United States, not just Chicago. we also have O'Hare, top research universities, and a vibrant cultural scene. if Chuy was elected none of these things would cease to exist. there may be less blatant pandering to the corporate class, but id have no problem with that personally. if someone wants to relocate here, they can do so without handouts.

I disagree, someone like Chuy would be terrible for the City. His whole purpose seemed to be to support the CTU and Karen Lewis. I personally think he would have tried to institute a city income tax or exchange tax (or even both) that would have been a huge disincentive for corporations and people. Property taxes would have gone up as well. As it is, this carve out for homes worth $250,000 or less is ridiculous. Everyone needs to feel the cost of these benefits that were "promised" or people will never learn.

Via Chicago Jan 12, 2016 9:41 PM

Well, I support the CTU, certainly more than I support Rahm.

Vlajos Jan 12, 2016 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 7296867)
Well, I support the CTU, certainly more than I support Rahm.

I obviously don't support the CTU, we may as well leave it at that.

the urban politician Jan 12, 2016 10:32 PM

amfleisch Jan 13, 2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7288682)

Rubber bullets? That is just stupid. I really don't think we should be sending cops out on Chicago streets with rubber bullets when nearly 3,000 people were shot and close to 500 people were murdered in 2015. It is an absolute war zone in certain neighborhoods, and they are definitely not using rubber bullets.