SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   San Antonio (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | The Floodgate | 212 FT | 16 FLOORS | Proposed (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=221524)

WebneratSAEN Mar 12, 2016 6:05 PM

SAN ANTONIO | The Floodgate | 212 FT | 16 FLOORS | Proposed
 

We posted an article about the development this morning. More information to come later.

* * *

Local developer Keller Henderson plans to demolish a row of buildings on East Commerce Street to build a 10-story upscale apartment building along the River Walk.

The Historic and Design Review Commission will vote Wednesday on the project, named "The Floodgate" after a nearby bridge and floodgate over the river. It will have seven floors of residential space and three of retail space, including restaurant space on the River Walk, according to HDRC documents.

By RICHARD WEBNER
San Antonio Express-News
March 12, 2016

Link to article:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...le-6886262.php

AwesomeSAView Mar 12, 2016 11:07 PM

Living at the Floodgate
 
Very nice development!
It would be awesome to live there! Just imagine, the Riverwalk as your front yard! And you get to enjoy it all on any day you want!

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one, too!!:cheers:

txex06 Mar 13, 2016 12:47 AM

The best proposed building yet!

ryan5021 Mar 14, 2016 4:17 AM

Very nice! Hopefully the HDRC doesn't kill it!

Keep-SA-Lame Mar 14, 2016 2:27 PM

Definitely my new favorite downtown project (though I will kind of miss the seediness of the current building, keeping that kind of stuff in the mix keeps things interesting).

What I don't understand is why the architects aren't incorporating the historic 19th century limestone (?) retaining wall into the design. As far as walls go, it's pretty cool! I'm not saying they should keep the whole thing, but it seems like they could fit in sections of it on either side of the breezeway, it would make a cool contrast with all the glass IMO.

JACKinBeantown Mar 14, 2016 5:50 PM

I like it. It's a great design for a 10-story building. If it were tall enough to make an impression on the skyline (20 stories or so) I wouldn't like it as much. But I think it's a nice fit for the location and especially at that size.

sirkingwilliam Mar 14, 2016 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan5021 (Post 7369827)
Very nice! Hopefully the HDRC doesn't kill it!

The HDRC is set to approve it.

AwesomeSAView Mar 14, 2016 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 7370488)
The HDRC is set to approve it.


Thank you, sirkingwilliam!! Thank you!

jaga185 Mar 14, 2016 7:05 PM

So exciting! This shouldn't take too long either. Should be ready by 2018 for sure!

Fireoutofclay Mar 14, 2016 8:11 PM

Bittersweet...I'm going to miss that rundown, last remaining part of "old Riverwalk". As decrepit as it looks now, I prefer to see it as a indication of how far this Riverwalk has come. There was a part of me that screamed "no! leave this alone", but then I see what is to come and I am blown away! Having the little old Esquire and Witte buildings remain in this cluster of modern architecture just makes them POP! They look even OLDER next to these modern buildings, and IMO bring more attention to the history of "old Riverwalk". So goodbye tree growing out of the wall of Bella's, I won't forget you. :violin:

Fireoutofclay Mar 14, 2016 8:14 PM

I found this slide show of the Witte Building, which will also remain on that block.

http://www.slideshare.net/AndrewDoug...manager-review

sakyle04 Mar 14, 2016 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebneratSAEN (Post 7368782)

We posted an article about the development this morning. More information to come later.

* * *

Local developer Keller Henderson plans to demolish a row of buildings on East Commerce Street to build a 10-story upscale apartment building along the River Walk.

The Historic and Design Review Commission will vote Wednesday on the project, named "The Floodgate" after a nearby bridge and floodgate over the river. It will have seven floors of residential space and three of retail space, including restaurant space on the River Walk, according to HDRC documents.

By RICHARD WEBNER
San Antonio Express-News
March 12, 2016

Link to article:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...le-6886262.php

they got everything right. looks great - thanks richard!

texboy Mar 15, 2016 1:42 PM

This is beautiful, exactly what SA needs to start propelling its architectural style forward.

The Model Mar 15, 2016 8:09 PM

Is the old Chinese Restaurant staying at the corner still? Looks like in the rendering something is anchoring the end.

Fireoutofclay Mar 15, 2016 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Model (Post 7371966)
Is the old Chinese Restaurant staying at the corner still? Looks like in the rendering something is anchoring the end.

Sure is :yes: It's called the Witte Building.

The Model Mar 16, 2016 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay (Post 7371988)
Sure is :yes: It's called the Witte Building.

That's good! Seem like the only building worth saving on that line of buildings. :tup:

With the Hilton canopy going up, this part of the river is going to look nice! :cheers:

Fireoutofclay Mar 18, 2016 7:44 PM

more info from Mr. Webner
 
Upscale apartment building planned for River Walk downtown
Richard Webner, Staff Writer
San Antonio Express News
March 13, 2016 Updated: March 13, 2016 11:29pm

http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...lk-6887395.php

Quote:

The Floodgate, which has been in the works for about two years, will have 55 one-bedroom apartments between 900 and 1,300 square feet, marketed toward urban professionals, Henderson said, while noting that the design details could change. It will also have a fitness center, a concierge service and parking.

The building’s most distinctive feature is a passageway running through it, connecting East Commerce and the River Walk, with retail space on the sides. Overall, the project will have 16,000 square feet of retail, including some on the River Walk. Henderson said he’s looking for independent businesses to fill the space, such as a boutique winery.

jaga185 Mar 18, 2016 8:21 PM

I honestly feel like this is what this section of the river needs. The connectivity to Commerce is perfect. It could be like Rita's.

wwmiv Mar 18, 2016 8:39 PM

This is gorgeous.

Trillhippy210 Apr 22, 2016 5:40 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...hdrc-with.html

mklunder13 Sep 12, 2016 2:42 AM

Is there any news about this project and its progress? I see it as such a crucial step in bringing San Antonio's urban core more density and more live/work/play style of living. If this can get approved and be successful, that will really set a new image for true downtown living.

jaga185 Sep 12, 2016 3:36 AM

All we know is that it was given conceptual approval. They are probably getting the final touches on it.

SAhometown Oct 3, 2017 1:49 AM

Gonna be bigger!
 
Wow! 4 dollars a sq. ft.


http://www.mysanantonio.com/real-est...y-12247732.php

jaga185 Oct 3, 2017 2:50 AM

And it's been upped from 10 to 15 stories. That's fun

Dan In Real Life Oct 3, 2017 2:00 PM

Does anyone know if they will be changing the design with the added height?

jaga185 Oct 3, 2017 2:16 PM

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/66/35/03.../1024x1024.jpg

Updated rendering from mysa.com

Restless 1 Oct 3, 2017 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 7940855)

I like this one more than the original. Nice form, and fits in nicely.

JACKinBeantown Oct 3, 2017 6:42 PM

Disappointing. The original design was unique and kinda beautiful. This one is very average.

KevinFromTexas Oct 3, 2017 7:28 PM

Yeah, I thought the other design was more daring, which is something Texas cities rarely do. I also thought it was kind of an interesting modern twist on the Hilton Paseo del Rio.

kingkirbythe.... Oct 4, 2017 1:04 AM

Yeah. This version is just okay.

sirkingwilliam Oct 4, 2017 1:41 AM

I won’t pass judgement until I see the street level side.

Texan101 Oct 4, 2017 2:05 AM

I really liked the original, but an increase in floors makes up for it a little bit.

Dan In Real Life Oct 4, 2017 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 7941226)
Disappointing. The original design was unique and kinda beautiful. This one is very average.

My thoughts exactly. I loved the original design.

JACKinBeantown Oct 4, 2017 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan101 (Post 7941736)
I really liked the original, but an increase in floors makes up for it a little bit.

I hear ya, but I prefer quality over quantity.

wwmiv Oct 4, 2017 7:26 PM

The new design is still really nice, even if the old design was beautiful. It looks almost like a glass castle with the detail along the roofline, the vertical striping and curtain wall not being flat, and the dual-level roof.

Texan101 Oct 5, 2017 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 7942420)
I hear ya, but I prefer quality over quantity.

Agree 100%. That being said, the original design with 15 floors vs 10 would have been something truly unique on the skyline.

AwesomeSAView Oct 5, 2017 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless 1 (Post 7941106)
I like this one more than the original. Nice form, and fits in nicely.

Soooo maybe this is not the final rendering. We don't know yet. :yes:

Restless 1 Oct 5, 2017 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 7942920)
Soooo maybe this is not the final rendering. We don't know yet. :yes:

Okaaaayyyy??:shrug:

KevinFromTexas Oct 5, 2017 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 7942920)
Soooo maybe this is not the final rendering. We don't know yet. :yes:

With the designs being that drastically different, I wonder if they're still going through the bidding process on architecture firms. Does anyone know for sure? Those are two wildly different designs, not just minor detail tweaks.

Paul in S.A TX Oct 6, 2017 2:45 AM

The new design is alright but I would have just added 5 floors to the original design which is much nicer.

Restless 1 Nov 7, 2017 5:57 AM

Hmmm, I keep coming back to this one. I liked the open feel to the Riverwalk of the original, but I also like the increased height, balance of this new rendering.

It's not groundbreaking, but it fits.

Rynetwo Nov 7, 2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless 1 (Post 7978467)
Hmmm, I keep coming back to this one. I liked the open feel to the Riverwalk of the original, but I also like the increased height, balance of this new rendering.

It's not groundbreaking, but it fits.

I need to see more renderings. The original design was thing of architectural beauty.

jaga185 Nov 7, 2017 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rynetwo (Post 7978550)
I need to see more renderings. The original design was thing of architectural beauty.

Especially street level, Commerce renderings, plus the structure looking East.

jaga185 Jan 30, 2018 2:59 PM

Quick update.

Quote:

The 53-unit Floodgate apartment complex on the River Walk, whose developer, Keller Henderson, said it will offer rents at the until-now-unheard-of-rate of $4 a square foot, received a $3.9 million package in December, according to the city records.
Mysa.com article about incentives.

deeger Jan 30, 2018 6:34 PM

Nm

AwesomeSAView May 19, 2018 1:50 AM

15 or 17 Floors?
 
Has this project been upped to 17 floors?? :cheers:

aggie2008 May 20, 2018 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 8193069)
Has this project been upped to 17 floors?? :cheers:

From the prelim agenda, it looks like it has! We should be seeing the final agenda with renderings soon (I think it comes out Friday before the HDRC meeting). I'm hoping that the design gets better than version 2.0 we saw with 15 floors. 1.0 was REALLY cool. It's going to be a pretty cool stretch of street with the hotel going up and Main Plaza across the way!

AwesomeSAView May 20, 2018 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie2008 (Post 8194083)
From the prelim agenda, it looks like it has! We should be seeing the final agenda with renderings soon (I think it comes out Friday before the HDRC meeting). I'm hoping that the design gets better than version 2.0 we saw with 15 floors. 1.0 was REALLY cool. It's going to be a pretty cool stretch of street with the hotel going up and Main Plaza across the way!


The hotel? Do you mean the Cambria? Is that project still a green light?

micahinsa May 21, 2018 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 8194291)
The hotel? Do you mean the Cambria? Is that project still a green light?

I’m guessing he means the Canopy, which is literally right next door.

KevinFromTexas May 21, 2018 4:38 PM

Here's the HDRC presentation. It doesn't include much that we haven't already seen.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.