SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | RBC Convention Centre | Expansion | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196859)

trueviking Sep 4, 2012 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 5818284)
The expansion is not phased. The architect is LM Architects here in Winnipeg. The builder is Stuart Olson Dominion.

architect is LM/Number Ten. The design architects are american.

trueviking Sep 4, 2012 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 5818632)
o hey the firm that brought us the lybrary expansion

the library was designed by the patkau's in vancouver. LM were the local architects.

Biff Sep 4, 2012 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueviking (Post 5819308)
architect is LM/Number Ten. The design architects are american.

....sorry Vike, no intention to leave Number Ten off. I knew you guys were involved just not officially. This is a very complex deal so i didn't want to jump the gun.

headhorse Sep 4, 2012 2:35 PM

Kind of surprised there was nothing about this in the FP today with the parking lot being closed over the weekend.

Biff Sep 4, 2012 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headhorse (Post 5819568)
Kind of surprised there was nothing about this in the FP today with the parking lot being closed over the weekend.

......edit - removed

Bluenote Sep 4, 2012 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 (Post 5817860)
This is just a couple of blocks away from my place so I snapped a pic on the way to the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra at The Forks yesterday, which was awesome by the way!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/7...45e9327f_b.jpg

Well at least it wont become a parking lot ;)

Mininari Sep 4, 2012 8:04 PM

:previous:
Are you suuuure?

(j/k! -- looking forward to the announcement... whenever it is).

h0twired Sep 4, 2012 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 5819584)
......edit - removed

dun dun DUN!

:tup:

Chadillaccc Sep 5, 2012 6:16 AM

Any renders coming soon?

armorand93 Sep 5, 2012 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadillaccc (Post 5820583)
Any renders coming soon?

All of us are uploading our own pictures! haha and there better be renders!!!!!

Jack1983 Nov 2, 2012 2:37 AM

It appears that in addition to closing off the parking lot, the contractor has now blocked off the sidewalks along Carlton and Edmonton. I guess Dominion is going to shift their efforts form the stadium to the CC over the next month...

CoryB Nov 2, 2012 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack1983 (Post 5887823)
It appears that in addition to closing off the parking lot, the contractor has now blocked off the sidewalks along Carlton and Edmonton. I guess Dominion is going to shift their efforts form the stadium to the CC over the next month...

The Convention Centre needs to hope for warm winters, cool summer and no wind ever if they want any hope of hitting their target dates.

Biff Nov 2, 2012 3:25 PM

The unveiling for the Convention Centre is Nov 13.

MalcolmTucker Nov 4, 2012 9:59 PM

Hopefully they have a signed hotel partner. I am doubtful of this however. I don't think enough benefits would accrue to the hotel under what type of commercial agreement seems to be the objective (cash contribution for free land to build a hotel only). This deal from the drawings looks to be under the assumption that a hotel without its own conference facilities that it can earn revenue from would be profitable enough to pay a reasonably large contribution to the facility. I doubt that would be the case.

Now if the hotel operator becomes the facility operator, and accrues a portion of the operating revenue from the conference facility, it is a different matter. But usually the public doesn't like public facilities giving a 'sweetheart deal' to an operator like that, even if in all ways but optics it makes perfect sense.

trueviking Nov 5, 2012 3:18 AM

^ a hotel was a mandatory part of the rfp.

there will be a hotel....a large one.

trebor204 Nov 13, 2012 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 5888266)
The unveiling for the Convention Centre is Nov 13.

Confirmed - 1pm this afternoon.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...179104901.html

CoryB Dec 2, 2012 6:44 PM

While checking on hotel prices for a trip I am planning I was on the Coast Hotels web site. When you go to make a reservation you start by picking your province/state and Manitoba is listed yet there are no properties to pick from. There are other provinces that do not have hotels but they are not listed. It would seem to possibly be an indicator that they are opening a property in Manitoba, perhaps the new build for the WCC expansion?

Pegger5 Jan 25, 2013 3:10 AM

I really hope one of these 4-6 new hotels going downtown is a Starwood Hotel. Everyone I know that travels to Winnipeg stays at the Four Points airport just to get Starwood points. Winnipeg is in desperate need of a Westin, Sheraton, aloft etc etc... Only major city in Canada that does not have a Starwood hotel downtown is Winnipeg.
Anybody have inside info on the brands of the hotels?

Bluenote Jan 25, 2013 4:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegger5 (Post 5986914)
I really hope one of these 4-6 new hotels going downtown is a Starwood Hotel. Everyone I know that travels to Winnipeg stays at the Four Points airport just to get Starwood points. Winnipeg is in desperate need of a Westin, Sheraton, aloft etc etc... Only major city in Canada that does not have a Starwood hotel downtown is Winnipeg.
Anybody have inside info on the brands of the hotels?

We have had a Westin, and a Sheraton all ready. Westin became the FM Hotel, and the Sher became Condo complex, then again the Sheraton was preceded by an Apartment complex, all the same building no less.

Pegger5 Jan 28, 2013 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote (Post 5987022)
We have had a Westin, and a Sheraton all ready. Westin became the FM Hotel, and the Sher became Condo complex, then again the Sheraton was preceded by an Apartment complex, all the same building no less.

Yes I know but not what I was asking... Winnipeg is different city economically now than 10-20 years ago.... They need a Starwood Hotel, Marriott, Hyatt etc downtown..