SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

SignalHillHiker Feb 26, 2013 3:10 AM

The Avalon Mall needs a complete do-over, at minimum to replace the insufficient sea of parking lots with a parkade AND to make the entire exterior of the building uniform.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 26, 2013 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6029130)
The Avalon Mall needs a complete do-over, at minimum to replace the insufficient sea of parking lots with a parkade AND to make the entire exterior of the building uniform.

It also needs better natural light. The wing of the mall with Sears/HMV/all those stores I don't visit are well lit, but the wing with AE/Aero/American Apparel is pretty dark. There may not be much they can do about that with an entire other floor of retail above it, but even some extra light fixtures would be better than nothing.

CaspinK Feb 26, 2013 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6029141)
It also needs better natural light. The wing of the mall with Sears/HMV/all those stores I don't visit are well lit, but the wing with AE/Aero/American Apparel is pretty dark. There may not be much they can do about that with an entire other floor of retail above it, but even some extra light fixtures would be better than nothing.

The only way to describe the Avalon Mall is as a 'franken-mall'. I always think of it as three separate areas.

1. The Hallway (from Gap / Payless down to Sears)

2. The Guts (Cell phone alley, Winners, and surrounding areas)

3. The Upstairs (Food court and all the upstairs stores)

The mall doesn't really have flow, but fits nicely into the haphazard nature of St. John's.

Although I doubt it will happen, I hope Crombie sells the mall to a company with a little more experience developing and running malls (Cadillac Fairview or Primaris).

Any idea what is moving into the old KFC spot? Or will it just reopen as KFC at some point?

SpongeG Feb 26, 2013 4:00 AM

please mum went into bankruptcy and shut down stores - they put signs up that said they are redoing themselves and blah blah reopen blah blah but i doubt they will or can

http://feistyfrugalandfabulous.com/2...um-bankruptcy/

http://www.pleasemum.com/employee

Marty_Mcfly Feb 26, 2013 4:09 AM

^Ouch. Vacation pay and severances are out the door? I'd be pissed if I worked there.

Arrakis Feb 26, 2013 1:21 PM

Yeah I totally agree. I have always said that there is no flow to the mall. They have that whole area by Bank of Nova Scotia where you wouldnt walk unless you were banking or going out that exit. I have no idea if there are any stores beyond the bank around that corner or not. They also need to go up one entire floor all the way down to Sears and put in some big ass skylights to bring more daylight into the mall. I always felt when walking around Avalon Mall that you were underground like the pathway in Toronto where they have all the stores underground near the subway stations.


Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6029130)
The Avalon Mall needs a complete do-over, at minimum to replace the insufficient sea of parking lots with a parkade AND to make the entire exterior of the building uniform.


techie Feb 27, 2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 6029200)
please mum went into bankruptcy and shut down stores - they put signs up that said they are redoing themselves and blah blah reopen blah blah but i doubt they will or can

http://feistyfrugalandfabulous.com/2...um-bankruptcy/

http://www.pleasemum.com/employee

Yeah, the closed store has a notice posted from Crombie notifying Please Mum that they were evicted. Too bad.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 27, 2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6029506)
Yeah I totally agree. I have always said that there is no flow to the mall. They have that whole area by Bank of Nova Scotia where you wouldnt walk unless you were banking or going out that exit. I have no idea if there are any stores beyond the bank around that corner or not. They also need to go up one entire floor all the way down to Sears and put in some big ass skylights to bring more daylight into the mall. I always felt when walking around Avalon Mall that you were underground like the pathway in Toronto where they have all the stores underground near the subway stations.

It's hilarious because THERE ARE! Back there is a nail salon, an H&R Block, and what used to be a frame store/gallery which may now actually be another store. There's also some weird window that has some weird adverts for Lawtons products that definitely could be expanded into a store someway.

PoscStudent Feb 27, 2013 1:54 AM

I'm glad to see all the recent stores that have closed, and it's good that they're are not closed due simply because of poor performanc here.

rthomasd Feb 27, 2013 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6027936)
I was at the Avalon Mall late last week and noticed Please Mum is no longer there. This is the fourth empty space (including The Sony Store, Athletes World, and the new renovated area) at the mall. I hope there will be new and unique stores opening up in these locations.

I also noticed the new Jump+ store will be ready sometime this spring - I think someone may have posted this earlier as well.

Jump+ store at the Avalon Mall opens March 23rd.

cdotr Mar 5, 2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspinK (Post 6029186)
The only way to describe the Avalon Mall is as a 'franken-mall'. I always think of it as three separate areas.

Yes, I can recall about 3-4 configurations of the configuration where Gap, Claire De Lune, Bootlegger, Winners HomeSense, Bogart's, The Sony Store, West 49, Samuel & Co., and Good Life currently exist.

I'm always afraid the place is going to fall in on itself, I also find a musty smell when I'm in that area.

jeddy1989 Mar 8, 2013 3:04 PM

Country Flare for Downtown

Quote:

A little bit of the country is going to the city as downtown retailer Water Street Variety partners with Bidgoods of the Goulds. Starting tomorrow, the downtown store will add products from Bidgoods to their lineup including rabbit, moose, seal, salt cod, seafood and preserves.

An official grand opening is set for 1:00 with members of the Bidgood family and city council to be on hand.

The owner of Water Street Variety, Gaylynne Lambert, says the move is a milestone for both her company and Bidgoods.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=31786

JayRog Mar 11, 2013 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6030532)
It's hilarious because THERE ARE! Back there is a nail salon, an H&R Block, and what used to be a frame store/gallery which may now actually be another store. There's also some weird window that has some weird adverts for Lawtons products that definitely could be expanded into a store someway.

I've always felt the same about the areas of the Village around Coles upstairs and the hallway where Labels and the dental office is downstairs.

jeddy1989 Mar 15, 2013 4:01 PM

I was just speaking to a friend of the family who knows management at Starbucks and apparently they will be opening two more in the Stavanger area. One in Target and one in the new Empire Theatres :)

J_Murphy Mar 15, 2013 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6053022)
I was just speaking to a friend of the family who knows management at Starbucks and apparently they will be opening two more in the Stavanger area. One in Target and one in the new Empire Theatres :)

Any word on other areas in the city where they currently are not located?

jeddy1989 Mar 15, 2013 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6053028)
Any word on other areas in the city where they currently are not located?

I didn't get a chance to ask, I'm sure more will be popping up soon ..we went from the one in Chapters to then the one on Kenmount and in Atlantic place and now in Stavanger with 2 more on its way .. starting to take off.. I'd say people who lived away have a part in it because typically people here congregate in Tims like it's a holy site or something lmao

J_Murphy Mar 15, 2013 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6053063)
I didn't get a chance to ask, I'm sure more will be popping up soon ..we went from the one in Chapters to then the one on Kenmount and in Atlantic place and now in Stavanger with 2 more on its way .. starting to take off.. I'd say people who lived away have a part in it because typically people here congregate in Tims like it's a holy site or something lmao

I love seeing more competition for Tims popping up. Can't understand the obsession with it. I hope to see another Starbucks further south on Torbay Road and at least one somewhere on Topsail Road in the near future.

statbass Mar 15, 2013 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6053022)
I was just speaking to a friend of the family who knows management at Starbucks and apparently they will be opening two more in the Stavanger area. One in Target and one in the new Empire Theatres :)

I was under the impression Starbucks would be stand-alone building. But a Starbucks in Empire Theatres would be fantastic. I know this has been asked a million times before but are there any other confirmed retail/restaurants for Field Power?

rwspencer38 Mar 15, 2013 6:18 PM

I am almost certain that Walmart intends on moving over to field power center and create a more robust store with expanded inventory. I also believe that Canadian Tire is slated to take over the currently existing Wal-mart

Arrakis Mar 15, 2013 6:55 PM

Was reading in the G&M recently and Canadian Tire said they are gonna be scaling back the size of the stores so it seems a bit strange they would be taking over such a large space like Walmart's, if Walmart moves out that is. Perhaps they will only take part of it and it will be divided up. I keep hearing that Walmart will be building a super centre at the Field Power centre but nothing seems to confirm that. If they do build there, it should bring some of the congestion off of Stavanger and people would most likely use White Rose Drive. Time will tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwspencer38 (Post 6053292)
I am almost certain that Walmart intends on moving over to field power center and create a more robust store with expanded inventory. I also believe that Canadian Tire is slated to take over the currently existing Wal-mart



All times are GMT. The time now is 9:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.