SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atlantic Provinces (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [Moncton] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198185)

porchmouse Mar 30, 2013 7:26 PM

Target pics

Ready, set, go...

Here's two pics of the future Target location.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8...9e0f606ee6.jpg

This is just me playing with the panorama feature.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8262/8...d9c1d32322.jpg

Cheers,

-porchmouse

OUIR@random Mar 30, 2013 11:56 PM

They're on the move! :cheers:
I don't really care for the Walmart expansion, what I want to witness is the race between Moncton, SJ, Bayers Lake and MicMac. I don't know where Freddy is at this point. Moncton has some catch up to do... I have a feeling MicMac will be the first Target in the Maritimes.

billy1 Mar 31, 2013 12:44 AM

Fences are all up around the back side of "Target" in Charlottetown too. From the news on the recent Target openings, I'm really not expecting much from them.

icetea93 Mar 31, 2013 1:29 AM

The Target in Mic Mac will be opening in August, and it's been under construction since December. Though, it's much larger than most Targets and it's two floors so it may take longer than the standard store.

Taeolas Mar 31, 2013 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUIR@random (Post 6072902)
They're on the move! :cheers:
I don't really care for the Walmart expansion, what I want to witness is the race between Moncton, SJ, Bayers Lake and MicMac. I don't know where Freddy is at this point. Moncton has some catch up to do... I have a feeling MicMac will be the first Target in the Maritimes.

Freddy has fencing up in the front and a lot of storage containers all around, but I haven't been by there lately to see what's happened yet. I don't think they have muhc renos to do inside, other than to set up the entrance basically and a general clean up and reload. Still we'll probably not be open till October anyway. (or whatever the date is)

orgo Mar 31, 2013 2:26 AM

All of the stores are being completely gutted. Some do need more work than other though, like major roof repairs. We've all been to a leaky Zellers. Fredericton and Moncton will likely open at the same time, with Saint John opening about a month before.

OUIR@random Mar 31, 2013 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeolas (Post 6072982)
I don't think they have muhc renos to do inside, other than to set up the entrance basically and a general clean up and reload.

They have much ''redo'' to do inside each Zellers, each location will have a $10-million upgrade. It's a complete gut and a whole new store, not just a good cleaning and new shelves + stock. Target coming to Canada is not a lipstick on a pig project. Even if Zellers and Target are both colored in red and white, the comparison ends there.

OUIR@random Mar 31, 2013 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetea93 (Post 6072967)
The Target in Mic Mac will be opening in August, and it's been under construction since December. Though, it's much larger than most Targets and it's two floors so it may take longer than the standard store.

Well, I've been to a couple of Targets with 2 floors and usually when you add up the 2 floors you get a regular size Target of around 120 000 ft2. IIRC each floors at the MicMac Zellers were not very big, but I think it will make this particular location quite unique, I hope they have those nifty Target cart escalator... :P

icetea93 Mar 31, 2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUIR@random (Post 6073090)
Well, I've been to a couple of Targets with 2 floors and usually when you add up the 2 floors you get a regular size Target of around 120 000 ft2. IIRC each floors at the MicMac Zellers were not very big, but I think it will make this particular location quite unique, I hope they have those nifty Target cart escalator... :P

It's about 130 000 sq.ft. What are the sizes of the other Targets in Atlantic Canada?

cl812 Mar 31, 2013 12:51 PM

Not sure about other locations but the Fredericton store is about 110k sqft.

OUIR@random Mar 31, 2013 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetea93 (Post 6073201)
It's about 130 000 sq.ft. What are the sizes of the other Targets in Atlantic Canada?

I think that all Targets in NB will be 110 000 sq.ft., Moncton & Fredericton is 110K, not sure about SJ.
MicMac might just be the largest in the Maritimes, but the former Zellers at Bayers Lake was quite large, but not sure how big.

YYCguys Apr 1, 2013 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephan.richard (Post 6063340)
I sawe a post on someone talking about foot traffic in the Sobeys end of Champlain Place. I think the reason why that spot does not get that heavy traffic is that there are not alot of people going to the mall to do groceries and walking to their car to drop it off and i think that Sobeys does not fit in with the model that the mall is trying to bring forward. I think if you want to generate more volume on that end of the mall id to add some stores like a The Bay to generate volume....

That does seem like a logical location for The Bay to relocate to. I have heard that The Bay wishes to return to the Moncton market, so maybe if they had the will to put pressure on CF to either not renew or to buy out Sobeys' lease then that might be the ticket to increasing traffic in that end of the mall and improving CF's vision for this mall.

statbass Apr 1, 2013 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy1 (Post 6072934)
Fences are all up around the back side of "Target" in Charlottetown too. From the news on the recent Target openings, I'm really not expecting much from them.

The new Target location in St. John's is at about the same point as the rest in the Maritimes. One wall is already knocked down for building expansion.

Stirsnack Apr 4, 2013 6:36 AM

Couple of thoughts.....
I noticed that the Wal-Mart lolcation in Champlain Place is looking really long in the tooth, especially on the outside, paint peeling, broken stones. I am surprised that CF would allow the building to go this way, especially after spending 14 million on the inside.

The other is the former Tag Location, Would this be a good fit for the Bay ?

NBNYer Apr 4, 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stirsnack (Post 6077978)

The Bay doesn't have stores in big box retail developments like Mapleton Centre. They are either in malls or downtown settings. Also, the Tag building seems way too small for a Hudson's Bay (as they call themselves now)

MonctonRad Apr 4, 2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stirsnack (Post 6077978)
Couple of thoughts.....
I noticed that the Wal-Mart lolcation in Champlain Place is looking really long in the tooth, especially on the outside, paint peeling, broken stones. I am surprised that CF would allow the building to go this way, especially after spending 14 million on the inside.

#1 - Yes, the Wal-Mart at Champlain looks decidedly dowdy compared to the rest of the mall (but so does Sobeys). One of the forumers has stated that the Sobeys is slated for renovations (and a small expansion). The Wal-Mart might also be in a pre-renovation phase as well. Since the Plaza Blvd Wal-Mart is slated for a $6M conversion to a supercentre, they might be planning on sprucing up the Champlain Place location at the same time.....

#2 - As NBNYer pointed out, the (former) Tag location is way too small for a Bay, and would be more suited to a mid sized retailer like JYSK, Home Outfitters or Best Buy. It is interesting to note that I checked out the Tag website on the weekend and there was no mention of bankruptcy on the site. Perhaps they are trying to keep it under wraps for now.....

emad Apr 4, 2013 1:53 PM

Was aslo curious about Tag, their facebook page is also still there and there's no official mention of closing. There's also recent comment that looks like not all of the stores have closed at March 31. Not getting my hopes up here but...

Also went on Mapleton Center web page and its still listed as opening in 2013.

What I found that I think is new here, is that they list Ashley Furniture as opening in 2013 in that document:
http://www.mapletonretail.com/downlo...leton_ICSC.PDF

kwajo Apr 4, 2013 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUIR@random (Post 6073395)
I think that all Targets in NB will be 110 000 sq.ft., Moncton & Fredericton is 110K, not sure about SJ.
MicMac might just be the largest in the Maritimes, but the former Zellers at Bayers Lake was quite large, but not sure how big.

That sounds about right, the former McAllister Place Zellers was somewhere in the 95,000 range, and they're currently adding onto the back side of the store, likely bringing it up to 110,000.

MonctonRad Apr 4, 2013 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emad (Post 6078142)
Was aslo curious about Tag, their facebook page is also still there and there's no official mention of closing. There's also recent comment that looks like not all of the stores have closed at March 31. Not getting my hopes up here but...

Also went on Mapleton Center web page and its still listed as opening in 2013.

What I found that I think is new here, is that they list Ashley Furniture as opening in 2013 in that document:
http://www.mapletonretail.com/downlo...leton_ICSC.PDF

Thanks emad, that is a new document that I have not seen before.

It lists three openings so far for 2013:
- Tag
- Banana Republic
- Ashley Furniture

There had been a rumour regarding Ashley brought up on the forum a number of months ago, but this seems to be the most concrete evidence yet. I wonder if it will go next to BB&B, it's one of the few storefronts without a "for lease" sign on it.

Also, the location of Banana Republic has been confirmed. It will open next to Carter's/Osh Kosh.

I wonder if the predictions of the demise of the entire Tag chain are premature? The only store in the chain that I know is closing for sure is their London store.....

OUIR@random Apr 4, 2013 2:15 PM

Ashley Furniture could be a nice addition to the market, they make quality pieces. However, they closed down in Halifax, what was that about? Was it just not doing well in Halifax? Nonetheless, I think it could fit well in the Tag building.