SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

Bertrice Feb 13, 2017 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 7710002)
A downtown arena? That would be sweet.

Especially if it were to replace Horton plaza. Right in the center of downtown like MSG

Lipani Feb 13, 2017 4:38 AM

^ That'd be a fantastic spot. Too bad redeveloping Horton Plaza is so bloody complicated and AEG seems eager to replace the old sports arena before that would happen.

SDFC Feb 13, 2017 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 7710025)
Especially if it were to replace Horton plaza. Right in the center of downtown like MSG

An arena where horton is?! Please no. An area would do the exact opposite of what should be done, turn horton inside out and connect all points of downtown to a centralized shopping, dining, cultural and civic space. An arena would be a roadblock and complete dead space, espcially during the daytime. There is a reason MSG is built on top of train tracks in a utilitarian section of Manhattan and not in Time Square or Rockefeller center. jmho :D

The Flying Dutchman Feb 13, 2017 6:25 AM

I really hope the projects along C (California Theater) and Broadway (11th/Broadway, Broadway 'Block') break ground soon. I've heard doubts from the Civic SD rep about 11th and Broadway, but that was a few months ago so maybe circumstances have changed.

I believe Pinnacle or Bosa is now the developer of the 'Willmark' 13th/Park/C project that has been limbo for almost 2 years. If it's true they are thinking about building taller due to a faultline, they might be thinking steel vs wood (closer to 20 stories). I wouldn't be surprised to see an entirely new project surface with Willmark throwing in the towel. There is also a firestation planned for that same block. No details, sorry. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...p12-story.html

California Theater is alive and well. The next hearing is on Feb. 23 to clear some final permitting approvals. Funny how some projects seem to fly... http://www.civicsd.com/images/storie...Hearing_PC.pdf

That EV green park will be a major headache. Phase 1 will be easy enough, but the completed design involves relocating the SDGE substation that powers all of EV. I talked to a Civic SD rep who said they are looking into spots near the freeway, but no one seems to know where funding will come from (which is completely separate from park funding). Remember eminent domain pays fair market value, but SDGE and the city are cozy so who knows what they'll dream up, if ever. Smart n Final doesn't want to sell, either. The good news is, the construction contract has been approved. "But the CivicSD staff proposes to drop an earlier commitment to reserve all future DIF payments to complete the park. That’s because it could cost $112 million more if an SDG&E power substation has to be relocated and privately owned parcels have to be bought."http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...p12-story.html
http://www.welcometosandiego.com/wp-...EV-Green-3.jpg

The Ritz (7th and Market) and 7th and Island have final approvals and permits, as does the 1st and Beech project (a 425') project I think Mello was referring to. That, or the India and Beech project that is 334'. Latest is that they 'are going forward'. http://dcpcsd.com/wp-content/uploads...118Minutes.pdf The Ritz won't have any more public hearings but they have a 5 year deadline. From the Oct. 2016 minutes:
http://dcpcsd.com/wp-content/uploads...19-Minutes.pdf

HurricaneHugo Feb 13, 2017 6:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7709944)
Funny I was just walking around Downtown yesterday thinking that we need more height and bulk between the East Village and Symphony Towers/Vantage Point area and finally sounds like The Block and Pinnacle project will move forward and start to fill in that gap! :cheers:

Any news about the California Theatre Tower or that other 435ft. project just west of there? That area could really use some height and infill too, I think it was in between CA Thetr and Little Italy was that nice 430 proposal.

I went to the SD Sports Rally thing at Petco Park tons of support for an Arena behind Petco on the Tailgate Park land!!! Talked to Ted Leitner and other guys from Mighty 1090 they said AEG and the Qualcomm sons are looking to build an Arena and get an NBA team. League wants to Expand by 2 teams and Seatlle/SD are by far the largest and most under served sports markets.

(Qualcomm Sons currently own 25% of Sac Kings I believe so they would sell that and bring team here) :tup:

I've heard that Louisville and Mexico City are the frontrunners right now which is dumb.

Gotta get moving on the arena if we're to have a shot

superfishy Feb 13, 2017 7:47 AM

Lots of good info Flying Dutchman. Thanks

sandiego_urban Feb 13, 2017 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7710212)
I really hope the projects along C (California Theater) and Broadway (11th/Broadway, Broadway 'Block') break ground soon. I've heard doubts from the Civic SD rep about 11th and Broadway, but that was a few months ago so maybe circumstances have changed.

I believe Pinnacle or Bosa is now the developer of the 'Willmark' 13th/Park/C project that has been limbo for almost 2 years. If it's true they are thinking about building taller due to a faultline, they might be thinking steel vs wood (closer to 20 stories). I wouldn't be surprised to see an entirely new project surface with Willmark throwing in the towel. There is also a firestation planned for that same block. No details, sorry. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...p12-story.html

California Theater is alive and well. The next hearing is on Feb. 23 to clear some final permitting approvals. Funny how some projects seem to fly... http://www.civicsd.com/images/storie...Hearing_PC.pdf

That EV green park will be a major headache. Phase 1 will be easy enough, but the completed design involves relocating the SDGE substation that powers all of EV. I talked to a Civic SD rep who said they are looking into spots near the freeway, but no one seems to know where funding will come from (which is completely separate from park funding). Remember eminent domain pays fair market value, but SDGE and the city are cozy so who knows what they'll dream up, if ever. Smart n Final doesn't want to sell, either. The good news is, the construction contract has been approved. "But the CivicSD staff proposes to drop an earlier commitment to reserve all future DIF payments to complete the park. That’s because it could cost $112 million more if an SDG&E power substation has to be relocated and privately owned parcels have to be bought."http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...p12-story.html
http://www.welcometosandiego.com/wp-...EV-Green-3.jpg

The Ritz (7th and Market) and 7th and Island have final approvals and permits, as does the 1st and Beech project (a 425') project I think Mello was referring to. That, or the India and Beech project that is 334'. Latest is that they 'are going forward'. http://dcpcsd.com/wp-content/uploads...118Minutes.pdf The Ritz won't have any more public hearings but they have a 5 year deadline. From the Oct. 2016 minutes:
http://dcpcsd.com/wp-content/uploads...19-Minutes.pdf

Good stuff here....Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know the latest crane count downtown? Last time was there I counted 11 :tup:

tyleraf Feb 13, 2017 4:46 PM

The Port is finally moving forward on NEVP phase 2.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...nt=oft03a-1la1

sandiego_urban Feb 13, 2017 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7705519)
Thanks for the rendering, I've been curious about the final tower. I count 11 floors. The website mentions 14 foot ceilings, maybe that's where the number came from? Regardless, it's another stubby addition to UTC. :slob: I really wish they'd push higher up there.

Yeah, I counted 11 also, so I'm hoping they've since increased the number of floors.

And speaking of UTC, the Westfield UTC website confirms a 22-story residential tower will be built on the southwestern corner of the property and be completed in 2018. That should be at least 220', right?

Below is from website https://www.westfield.com/utc/development/faq

Is it true there is a residential tower being built?

Residential development will include 300 luxury apartments on the southwest corner of the property; a twenty two-story tower and four-story tower joined by a 26,000 sqaure foot amenity deck and pool area. Residents will enjoy secure parking contained underneath the building, an exclusive sky deck that provides a relaxing vista with 180 degree ocean views and complete luxury amenities to include private co-work space, exercise facility, mail management system, concierge service, and extra storage.

This tower is expected to open in Fall 2019.

sandiego_urban Feb 13, 2017 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 7705791)

That project is dead. This 22 story residential rental tower with 226 apartments was approved a couple years ago. The project's name is 330 13th and the developer is The Richman Group of California. Was supposed to break ground, but has not yet...

That's right. Forgot about that one, thanks

sandiego_urban Feb 13, 2017 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDFC (Post 7710189)
An arena where horton is?! Please no. An area would do the exact opposite of what should be done, turn horton inside out and connect all points of downtown to a centralized shopping, dining, cultural and civic space. An arena would be a roadblock and complete dead space, espcially during the daytime. There is a reason MSG is built on top of train tracks in a utilitarian section of Manhattan and not in Time Square or Rockefeller center. jmho :D

Agreed. If anything, they might want to look at the location of the proposed Chargers stadium. At least an arena would take up a smaller footprint than a 70,000 seat stadium.

Bertrice Feb 13, 2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDFC (Post 7710189)
shopping, dining, cultural and civic space. An arena would be a roadblock and complete dead space :D

Most of downtown is a dead zone. Spreading out the retail would help the rest of downtown. The Gaslamp is buzzing right now. No dead zone.
I'm not sure a consolidated mall would bring culture.

The bus yard is definitely on borrowed time.
EV groups want to put a grass patch there.
East Village doesn't feel villiage-y but a sports arena would be great there also

embora Feb 14, 2017 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7709907)
Thanks for posting this, good information there. Did they mention anything about the Ritz/Whole Foods project 7th and market? What meeting was this and when and where is the next one, would love to attend if it's open to the public.

You're welcome. The community group is the East Village Residents Group. The below link shows the most recent agenda. They have recurring agenda items with people from CivicSD, the Mayor's Office, Clean&Safe, Police Department, and Council Member Ward's Office. Homelessness is always discussed. They invite developers to present their developments, which usually takes the form of a powerpoint presentation, but Cisterra brought a model of the 7th & Market (Ritz Carlton). Speaking of the Ritz Carlton, I remember the CivicSD rep saying that the project was in litigation. :(

The East Village Residents Group has their general meeting every other month on the third Thursday of the month, so the next one is March 16. See the below link:

http://evrgsd.org/

SDfan Feb 14, 2017 4:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 7710485)
And speaking of UTC, the Westfield UTC website confirms a 22-story residential tower will be built on the southwestern corner of the property and be completed in 2018. That should be at least 220', right?

Below is from website https://www.westfield.com/utc/development/faq

Is it true there is a residential tower being built?

Residential development will include 300 luxury apartments on the southwest corner of the property; a twenty two-story tower and four-story tower joined by a 26,000 sqaure foot amenity deck and pool area. Residents will enjoy secure parking contained underneath the building, an exclusive sky deck that provides a relaxing vista with 180 degree ocean views and complete luxury amenities to include private co-work space, exercise facility, mail management system, concierge service, and extra storage.

This tower is expected to open in Fall 2019.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least 250'-280'. The tallest building in UTC is the La Jolla Pacific Regent (that orange residential tower with the pitched roof south of the Mormon temple) at 21 stories, 256' (emporis). Pacifica Tower (the Wells Fargo building across the street from UTC) is 17 stories at 207' (emporis).

This means we are likely going to be getting a new tallest in UTC by 2019! However, if the tower is located on the southwestern corner of the property, in relation to the rest of the UTC skyline, the tower might not have the same visual effect. If it was sitting on La Jolla Village Drive, we would have a new tall, centered crown (which Pacifica Tower now commands). Back on the SW corner... it might be muted. :shrug:

SDfan Feb 14, 2017 4:59 AM

Note on the California Theater redevelopment, SOHO and the Historical Resource Board are out for blood on this one. They will likely stall this project with lawsuits/red tape until the developer moves on.

HurricaneHugo Feb 14, 2017 5:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 7710903)
The bus yard is definitely on borrowed time.
EV groups want to put a grass patch there.

Waste of land!

Put a lid on the 5 between Market and J, there's your park!

SDCAL Feb 14, 2017 3:19 PM

An interesting article on IDEA District and how developers are being entrusted to develop it as an arts/cultural/tech center without any concrete plans or assistance from the city:

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topic...92a34-83875729

I see both sides of the issue. Of course developers need to profit otherwise development won't happen. But should the city be doing something to help the "goals" of this District materialize other than just hoping developers follow through on making this an arts/culture hub? What prevents the area from just becoming another monotonous zone of nondescript condos without the mix of tech jobs, culture, community/civic space, unique retail, etc. that the IDEA District proposes? I do think the planned UCSD expansion to east village will help shape the area.

SDfan Feb 15, 2017 12:32 AM

Manchester is talking to the NFL, apparently...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...215-story.html

Lipani Feb 15, 2017 1:55 AM

I'd love to see MLS in San Diego, but Manchester jumping in changes a lot of things. It'll be interesting to see what he plans to offer compared to FS Investors.

SDCAL Feb 15, 2017 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipani (Post 7712409)
I'd love to see MLS in San Diego, but Manchester jumping in changes a lot of things. It'll be interesting to see what he plans to offer compared to FS Investors.

Manchester is rich, but he's not Sheldon Adelson rich. He's not a billionaire. And we saw how Adelson's involvement in Vegas crashed and burned. I'm not sure what Manchester can do, he's obviously not going to fund something entirely himself and anything using public funds still needs a public vote. Even if he brings investors to the table there's still city involvement with land use, etc. Look how long it has it taken him to get "Pacific Gateway" off the ground and still nothing happening at that site. I think he thinks he has more power than he actually does, another big ego like Briggs.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.