SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   LOS ANGELES | Park Fifth - Downtown | 820 FT / 250 M | 76 FLOORS (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=130922)

pablosan May 8, 2007 10:50 PM

Let's hope that it gets built.

wrendog May 9, 2007 1:59 AM

LA needs this! git er done!

Aleks May 9, 2007 2:56 AM

its nice but eww i hate L.A. built it in San Fran.
i like that there are trees which would help the enviorment in the area

NYC2ATX May 9, 2007 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 2821647)
The complex wraps around the old building, it doesn't really do anything to it, although it fits in neatly. LA has the space for that type of development, whereas someplace like Manhattan doesn't. What else is on site besides that 12-story building?

you make a good point, but i still appreciate that. Mixing old and new in the proper way gives a city a fantastic texture thats hard to replicate in another way.

Like most of you I don't especially love the design, but L.A. could use some more density, and average high-rises haven't stopped mega-booms in Miami and Chicago right? :tup:

fflint May 9, 2007 6:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 (Post 2823165)

If you hate LA then do us all a favor and avoid posting in threads about LA.

Quixote May 9, 2007 6:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 (Post 2823165)

That's funny. The project was specifically designed for that location right across from Pershing Square. A representative of Kohn Pedersen Fox mentioned a while back that the project is different from anything they would design in Chicago or San Francisco.

Dream'n May 9, 2007 1:06 PM

Great looking building. Hope it gets built. I think this building has a total retro 60's SoCal look to it and that's not a bad thing by any means. Very clean and modern.

Dale May 9, 2007 2:00 PM

I think it looks fantastic!

Now, won't this be on or near the highest point in the CBD ?

Buck May 9, 2007 2:07 PM

I love this! Way to Go LA... it's about time.

colemonkee May 9, 2007 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 2823749)
Now, won't this be on or near the highest point in the CBD ?

If you're thinking about base elevation, no. It's at the bottom of Bunker Hill, and the taller tower is completely removed from Bunker Hill. US Bank Tower (the tallest in LA) sits about 50-75 higher in base elevation, and the nearby Cal Plaza 2 (750 ft.) sits about 100 feet higher, so this tower will look "shorter" than it really is in a skyline view. It will probably look equally tall as Cal Plaza 2, actually.

The one thing this tower has that Cal Plaza 2 doesn't have is horizontal delineation of the floors, that will make it feel taller.

JDRCRASH May 9, 2007 4:16 PM

LA's reputation has been shadowed by its lack of built up development, its CLEARLY WORSENING reliance on automobiles, and its lack of Public Transportation.

We may not need a skyline as big as New York City Westsidelife, however if we want our city to expand and grow even higher and furher, high-rise development should be taken into account ;)

Dale May 9, 2007 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemonkee (Post 2824014)
If you're thinking about base elevation, no. It's at the bottom of Bunker Hill, and the taller tower is completely removed from Bunker Hill. US Bank Tower (the tallest in LA) sits about 50-75 higher in base elevation, and the nearby Cal Plaza 2 (750 ft.) sits about 100 feet higher, so this tower will look "shorter" than it really is in a skyline view. It will probably look equally tall as Cal Plaza 2, actually.

The one thing this tower has that Cal Plaza 2 doesn't have is horizontal delineation of the floors, that will make it feel taller.

Gotcha. Still, not too shabby for apparent height.

Scruffy May 9, 2007 5:14 PM

it looks shorter than 820 feet. interesting design it seems. the trees on the balconies is a nice touch. whether or not those trees actually happen is another story

Stratosphere May 11, 2007 1:24 AM

When will we ever see a building with a slanted roof or pointy top in LA?

Rizzo May 11, 2007 1:34 AM

I love this building! Great design, great integration with the existing fabric.

BrandonJXN May 11, 2007 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratosphere (Post 2827632)
When will we ever see a building with a slanted roof or pointy top in LA?

Hopefully soon.

The City House and The Olympic
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8...eftviewlf3.jpg

JDRCRASH May 11, 2007 5:31 PM

Well as long as we have that absurd rooftop helipad ordinance, were never going to get any spired or slanted buildings. Of course then again there is the Angel Center and the Ionic GAP Tower

Easy May 12, 2007 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDRCRASH (Post 2828929)
Well as long as we have that absurd rooftop helipad ordinance, were never going to get any spired or slanted buildings. Of course then again there is the Angel Center and the Ionic GAP Tower

It was posted here over a year ago that LA buildings can now have spires if they use some advanced elevator technology. LAB broke the news, but maybe someone with more knowledge or a better memory can explain.

plinko May 12, 2007 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 2827682)
Hopefully soon.

The City House and The Olympic
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8...eftviewlf3.jpg

My lord, they've actually gotten worse!! :koko:

Stratosphere May 12, 2007 2:57 AM

An art deco building in the 21st century???