SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   LOS ANGELES | Park Fifth - Downtown | 820 FT / 250 M | 76 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130922)

BrandonJXN Feb 5, 2008 9:36 PM

How do you know that Park Fifth won't make it this year? There is a very good chance that it will break ground this year.

Regarding 1027 Wilshire:

Quote:

As the story goes, ground-breaking has been pushed back until the third quarter of 2008 and funding is still up in the air. However, when asked whether they were confident to find a financial backer, we were told “absolutely.”
Now back to the Park Fifth channel.

pablosan Feb 6, 2008 1:52 AM

I hope that this project gets built.

RuFFy Feb 6, 2008 4:36 PM

JDCrash, the not so smart kid...

If I'm not mistaken, you are trying to reference one of the forumers in the downtown thread that mentioned he felt 1027 had a good chance of being built because the developer, until recently, worked with the city ushering projects along. Being that the developer knows the system well, I think the forumer was saying that the project should move along smoothly, and as a result, he felt this project has a better, if not one of the best, chances of being built. I agree with that forumer as well.

JDRCRASH Feb 6, 2008 5:11 PM

Apologies, I guess people are divided on it.

colemonkee Apr 2, 2008 4:39 PM

Looks like Park Fifth is still fightin' the good fight. They're not going down just yet. I got this in my inbox this morning...

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3...hinvitekl6.jpg

LosAngelesSportsFan Apr 3, 2008 5:14 AM

Park Fifth Quietly Moves Forward
By Eric Richardson
Published: Wednesday, April 02, 2008, at 12:25PM
Park 5th Model Dave Bullock

A model of the Park Fifth development stands in the project's Sales Center.

While quiet lately, the massive Park Fifth development slated to rise north of Pershing Square continues to make forward progress. The project submitted its Supplemental Final Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to the Community Redevelopment Agency on March 31st.

A certified EIR would be a major milestone in the process of accumulating the approvals needed to commence construction. Two weeks previous the project also filed Vesting Tentative Tract and Zone Variance applications with the city's Planning Department.

The project Sales Center, located in the neighboring Gas Company Tower, is holding a reception Thursday evening and has extended an invite to Downtown readers.

The reception is Thursday, April 3rd, and runs from 5:30pm - 7:30pm. Enter the building via the corner of 5th and Olive. RSVP's are requested to Theresa Cushing, but I have a suspicion they won't be checking names at the door.

colemonkee Apr 3, 2008 5:57 AM

I really, really want this project to move forward. It will do wonders for that area, and might be the impetus that moves the owners of the Clark Hotel to do something, anything with that property.

BrandonJXN Apr 3, 2008 1:22 PM

I hope I hope I hope...

JDRCRASH Apr 3, 2008 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemonkee (Post 3459172)
I really, really want this project to move forward. It will do wonders for that area, and might be the impetus that moves the owners of the Clark Hotel to do something, anything with that property.

Believe me, we ALL do.:fingerscrossed:

RuFFy Apr 4, 2008 2:17 AM

:fingerscrossed:

JDRCRASH Apr 4, 2008 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuFFy (Post 3461132)
:fingerscrossed:

See?:yes:

edluva Apr 8, 2008 3:24 AM

man, i just don't see them selling in this kind of a market.

JDRCRASH Apr 8, 2008 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edluva (Post 3469414)
man, i just don't see them selling in this kind of a market.

You realize that these units are high-end, right?

Downtown Los Angeles Apr 9, 2008 2:26 AM

they should stack the 76 floor building on top of the 43 floor building and we easliy have the 2nd tallest building in the U.S.

Downtown Los Angeles Apr 9, 2008 2:38 AM

(making it 391 meters tall)

edluva Apr 9, 2008 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDRCRASH (Post 3470420)
You realize that these units are high-end, right?

and?

Dale Apr 9, 2008 4:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edluva (Post 3472131)
and?

Maybe he was trying to say that gazillionaries are recession-proof.

JDRCRASH Apr 9, 2008 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 3472213)
Maybe he was trying to say that gazillionaries are recession-proof.

Exactly.;)

chicagopride Apr 10, 2008 9:01 PM

this project looks sick. i really dig the greenery they've got spaced throughout the building. i hope more buildings in the US can move towards rooftop gardens.

JDRCRASH Apr 11, 2008 3:03 PM

I believe the Mayor is in support of that ChicagoPride, so you never know.

Quixote Apr 19, 2008 5:59 AM

Park Fifth Secures CRA Approval

News Brief

The Community Redevelopment Agency on Thursday, April 17, granted key approvals to developers of the proposed Park Fifth project north of Pershing Square. The proposed development - to include a 76-story tower and a 44-floor tower connected by a 15-story residential building, a 212-room hotel and retail and restaurant space - is the first major project to utilize the city's Transfer of Floor Area Rights Ordinance. The TFAR ordinance, adopted last year, allows Downtown developers to purchase "unused" space above the Convention Center to build taller, denser buildings than zoning restrictions currently allow. Money generated from the sales goes to local nonprofits and a public benefits fund. The transfer plan approved by the CRA included a description of the developer's public benefit obligations, which include a total of $14 million in payments to, among others, the Downtown Women's Center, the Skid Row Housing Trust and the Department of Recreation and Parks for improvements to Pershing Square. The development team, led by David Houk, will also build community benefits into the project, such as a pedestrian connection to the nearby Metro Red Line station and two major public art displays in collaboration with the Museum of Contemporary Art. The CRA Thursday also approved the project's Environmental Impact Report and related elements. Houk said that the approval marks a significant milestone. "It's absolutely necessary. It's a big target and a big goal," he said. The project is expected to go before the City Council on May 7, and if approved will then go to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. Houk said he expects to break ground by the fourth quarter of this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Los Angeles Downtown News

Quixote May 17, 2008 12:50 AM

Council Approves Park Fifth

News Brief

The City Council on Tuesday, May 13, approved the 76-story Park Fifth project. The $1.3 billion complex, which is being developed by a team led by David Houk, would include a 76-story tower and a 44-floor tower housing a hotel and condominiums, connected by a 15-story residential building, plus retail and restaurant space. It would rise on a lot north of Pershing Square. Park Fifth is the first major development to utilize the city's Transfer of Air Rights Ordinance, a measure adopted last year that allows Downtown developers to purchase "unused" space above the Convention Center to build taller, denser buildings than zoning restrictions currently allow. "In my mind, it's been entitled all along," said Houk, "but it's a relief to have it formalized." Houk has said he expects to break ground by the fourth quarter of this year.

BigDan35 May 17, 2008 1:53 AM

^^ So what is the next step now?

Downtown Los Angeles May 17, 2008 5:57 AM

FINALLY!!!!!!!:yes:

colemonkee May 17, 2008 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDan35 (Post 3557894)
^^ So what is the next step now?

The next steps would be to draw up construction documents, submit them to the city and get a construction permit. Oh, and that tricky process of locking down financing.

Construction documents for a building of this size take a long time to draw up and a long time to review, and financing isn't a breeze right now. That's probably why they're predicting a Q4 start. And I'd bet even that is an aggressive estimate, but who knows, maybe they really have their shit together.

Quixote May 17, 2008 10:03 PM

^ I believe they already have their financing in place.

LosAngelesSportsFan May 17, 2008 11:00 PM

yes, thats what i thought too! they have a lot of capital so that should def help.

colemonkee May 18, 2008 6:02 PM

^ If you take what they say as the gospel, then yes. They claim to have "secured a commitment" for a $800 million construction loan, but no formal announcement has been made by the developer or lender. But they do have significant capital from Africa Israel and Namco Capital, which is allowing them to market and pay for construction documents, etc. It might even be enough to start excavation and foundation work.

Downtown Los Angeles Jun 2, 2008 2:14 AM

so is it safe to say it's gonna get built for sure?

JDRCRASH Jun 5, 2008 3:17 PM

No, it's not safe to say. We don't know how the Buyers market, or even the renters market is going to be in the next 6 months, so regardless if it was Approved or not, it doesn't mean shit if things don't improve.

LosAngeles Jun 8, 2008 6:34 PM

i hope it will get build
but i agree with JDRCRASH there are so much skyscrapers approved in LA(i think 1 is approved more than 10 years dont know exactly) which are still not built so we have to wait.....
oh man LA needs more skyscrapers in my opinion and park fifth is a perfect add to the LA skyline
LA deserves a better skyline :(

NDPhilly Jun 25, 2008 9:16 PM

Quote:

Reminds me of the NY Times tower, but this one looks good...
yea and it doesnt have any 300 ft. spire that makes it over 1000ft instead of 750ft

Quixote Jun 26, 2008 9:24 PM

BREAKING: Unstoppable Park Fifth Gets Entitled, Loan Commitment

By jwilliams
June 26, 2008

It's a tiny step for mankind, and a huge leap for Downtown. The attached presser (after the jump) announces that Park Fifth has received its entitlements and has a construction loan commitment from Beijing Construction Engineering Group (God bless you Chinese people). We know, we know. We can hardly believe it either. The 76-story mixed use project grows ever closer to actually breaking ground, at which point our head will spin around and fly off our body leading to our untimely death and burial under the building's cornerstone.

June 26, 2008

Dear Curbed,

Today is truly a RED LETTER DAY for Park Fifth. This is the day that ALL of our formal approvals from the City of Los Angeles are absolutely FINAL. Over the past three years, we have been through an extensive process that involved obtaining approvals from the Community Redevelopment Agency, Planning Department, City Council and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

Many of these actions had appeal periods associated with them, but as of today, ALL of those appeal periods have expired. That makes it official: Park Fifth is FULLY ENTITLED and ready to move forward.

Approvals Bring Good News
These actions also finalize some very important aspects of Park Fifth:

1. We will fund almost $10 million toward the renovation and improvement of Pershing Square. This park is our front yard and we are committed to making it an attractive, open and friendly environment for the entire neighborhood.

2. From the outset, we have committed to making Park Fifth an environmentally sensitive project. As part of our approvals, Park Fifth will achieve the LEED Silver standard for Green Building or better.

3. Park Fifth will have a direct connection into an MTA station on the Red Line, which will provide our residents with access to the station without going outside.

Construction Lender

Park Fifth is pleased to announce that it has secured a construction loan commitment from Beijing Construction Engineering Group (BCEG). This international firm has an extensive background in large projects, having built many of the venues that you will soon see on TV for the upcoming Olympics. Most recently, they have come to the United States and are in the process of funding two large projects in Chicago, both of which involve hotels and residential condominium homes. That makes them the perfect fit for Park Fifth and their involvement will allow us to move forward with groundbreaking later this year. We will be working through all the details over the next several months and we are very pleased to have them on board.

As always, please feel free to call our Sales Office or make an appointment to visit so that we may answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Rich Marr
Project Manager

Downtown Los Angeles Dec 12, 2008 3:25 AM

Whats going on with this thing?

JDRCRASH Dec 12, 2008 3:34 AM

Not much....sadly....

Park Fifth Investor Not Very Popular in Beverly Hills

Monday, December 8, 2008, by Dakota

The Los Angeles Business Journal profiles the very shady-sounding Ezri Namvar, a Brentwood businessman who has failed to repay investors (most are Beverly Hills' Persian Jews, and the lawsuits allege investments between $200,000-$18 million). Notably, Nomvar is the guy currently trying to sell his stake in downtown condo project Park Fifth, but he also backed the failed Security Pacific Bank, as well as numerous Arizona properties. About 300-400 investors are owed money by Namvar; some of the investors may have been older residents "who are much older and also not as familiar with sophisticated investing," according to one lawyer involved in the matter. In June 2006, Park Fifth developer David Houk brought on Namvar as a partner. At this point, Houk says that he is trying to buy back Namvar's and Africa Israel Investments Ltd.'s shares in the company, and that he doesn't want to sell the project. Via the LABJ: "Houk acknowledged that it is even possible the entire Park Fifth project could be sold, but that’s something he wants to avoid. 'I don’t want to sell, I’d like to stay and finish what I’ve spent the last 30 years working on,' he said." Meanwhile, there's this great visual regarding all those angry investors: "..on more than one occasion, sources said, Namvar has been threatened by irate investors who’ve stormed his Namco offices at Wilshire Bundy Plaza."

Martinx07 Dec 13, 2008 2:12 AM

I have a feeling it won't be built. That sucks.

Downtown Los Angeles Dec 13, 2008 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinx07 (Post 3970990)
I have a feeling it won't be built. That sucks.

c'mon....think positive!

JDRCRASH Dec 14, 2008 8:47 PM

^ Believe me, we're all trying, but if Houk said there is a possibility of it being sold, then it probably will be; or IOW, it will probably be cancelled.

Downtown Los Angeles Dec 19, 2008 3:16 AM

:( what a heart breaker.

JDRCRASH Dec 19, 2008 4:25 AM

Yea but I can't imagine the developer not returning after the Market Rebounds in the future.

Martinx07 Dec 31, 2008 10:04 AM

This is depressing, any recent news?

Downtown Los Angeles Jan 9, 2009 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinx07 (Post 4000316)

sorry, just give up hope man

JDRCRASH Feb 4, 2009 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinx07 (Post 4000316)

NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING.....

Roaming Feb 5, 2009 10:48 PM

This one look like an exciting project. So bad is not moving forward.

JDRCRASH Feb 5, 2009 10:57 PM

For now, its probably On-Hold, not Cancelled.

Downtown Los Angeles Mar 10, 2009 4:49 AM

I will build it!

edluva Mar 10, 2009 4:52 AM

it's as good as cancelled, unless your timeframe's in terms of decades. throw grand ave into this as well. real estate has gone to hell. LA was already halfway there before the run-up. oh well

JDRCRASH Mar 10, 2009 5:06 AM

^ You bring valid points. But really now, you're better than that, Edluva.

Decades? That is more than enough time to fill the 3.6 Million excess inventory in the housing market several times over.

edluva Mar 10, 2009 5:13 AM

well, it's not that crazy to see this bust drawing out for a decade is it? the last one took 6-7 years to bottom and this one is going to be much much deeper.

we're talking about lux highrise residential in LA, not 3.6m units of nationwide inventory.

JDRCRASH Mar 10, 2009 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edluva (Post 4132018)
well, it's not that crazy to see this bust drawing out for a decade is it? the last one took 6-7 years to bottom and this one is going to be much much deeper.

?! The last bust housing downturn took 4 years to decline...

Quote:

Originally Posted by edluva (Post 4132018)
we're talking about lux highrise residential in LA, not 3.6m units of nationwide inventory.

Yeah I do agree that the prices on these condos are overinflated (maybe 30%), even with the location and amenities.