SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   ATLANTA | Viewpoint | 501 FT / 153 M | 36 FLOORS (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=107747)

gttx Mar 21, 2007 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GThomas (Post 2707148)
I've been watching the assembly of the Viewpoint model in the retail portion of Spire. There were several people looking at the model yesterday. I'll get a picture of it as soon as it's put together.

It looks better than the rendering to me. The glass looks dark/smokey. The left portion of the parking deck has a garden/fountain area at the top. The right side has the pool at the top. It looks as if the balcony rails are dark gray/black. The top wave portion looks very sharp too, but ceases about midway through the depth of the building. The model even includes the Starbucks building. Looks good.

The two buildings next to it (future phases) are white and don't really have much detail, but they also include the wave on top....only it goes the opposite direction as the main tower (ie towards Juniper instead of towards Peachtree).

Either way, the model looks great. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the retail fronting Peachtree. I assume that tenants will do their own thing with it, but the retail Novare put into the model is only on one floor and doesn't include anything interesting in the way of display windows or signage.

Newnan_Eric Mar 21, 2007 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gttx (Post 2707163)
The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the retail fronting Peachtree. I assume that tenants will do their own thing with it, but the retail Novare put into the model is only on one floor and doesn't include anything interesting in the way of display windows or signage.

To quote Monty Python: "It's only a model."
:haha:

GThomas Mar 24, 2007 2:18 PM

Pics of the Viewpoint Model; Glass should be similar to 1180 according to the sales center. Model will be finished next week.

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/9089/vp7or0.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5616/vp8iz4.jpg

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/6267/vp6yc8.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8158/vp2le8.jpg

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/8037/vp1dm3.jpg

ATLssMania Mar 24, 2007 3:10 PM

That last pic is great. That's the first pic I've seen for how Viewpoint will look from Juniper...and from the model, it looks like the will definitely build both towers because the parking garage is HUGE and would not fit at all with just one tower.

john3eblover Mar 24, 2007 3:29 PM

i like it...thanks for the pics

smArTaLlone Mar 24, 2007 3:44 PM

I do too. One thing though that I think wouldve been even better is if the first tower was parrallel to Peachtree (like Twelve AS) which would almost completely hide the parking structure. Of course you wouldn't get those nice North & South views.

SteveD Mar 24, 2007 4:15 PM

I like the look of the first tower. Do the solid white structures (last pic) represent the other two towers? Does the parking deck construction currently underway extend all the way east to Juniper?

smArTaLlone Mar 24, 2007 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 2714420)
I like the look of the first tower. Do the solid white structures (last pic) represent the other two towers? Does the parking deck construction currently underway extend all the way east to Juniper?

atlvis took pics from the outside but you can see how the others towers are positioned.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...y721/front.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...uy721/left.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...y721/right.jpg

ATLmangum Mar 26, 2007 6:34 PM

Awsome!!!

jobe Mar 27, 2007 12:56 PM

What's that black keypad box in some of the pictures? Surely its not a telephone, is it?

colemonkee Mar 27, 2007 4:30 PM

^ It's the call box for the front door. :D

john3eblover Mar 27, 2007 5:00 PM

i'm listening to 929 dave fm online right now, and i'm hearing an ad for Viewpoint as I type this. kinda cool

MarketsWork Mar 28, 2007 5:29 PM

Any Spire residents with cameras?

Now is the perfect time for a look-down shot of Viewpoint from Spire. With the roof of the parking pedestal fully poured, and the view presently unobstructed by further tower construction, the rooftop terrace layouts should be clear. If I'm not mistaken, the swimming pool will be on the south terrace. If some kind forumer has a camera and access to Spire, a photo or two would be appreciated by all...

musicfest Apr 6, 2007 1:11 AM

Viewpoint - slow sales???

I dropped into the sales office this afternoon (april 5th) and the "sales board" shows they have about 35 units or so under contract after 5 days of selling - they started last saturday. That dosent sound too bad - but obviously includes the usual "insider" sales to developers friends etc. The majority of the sales seem to be the cheapest of the 1 brm units. It sounds like buyers (whether owners or investors) are much more cautious than past years. If i remember correctly Spire had about 200 units under contract after 5 days. Personally im happy that the crazy investor days are behind us. It will be very interesting to see how long this building will take to sell and what kinds of incentives Novare will have to offer to move units in the future.....????

whiplash3825 Apr 6, 2007 12:35 PM

I wouldn't consider almost 10% available units sold after five days slow at all. Isn't there at least another year of construction before occupancy? Seems like so many folks just keep waiting for the sky to fall on Atlanta's condo market. How much of a dent can 396 units make in a metro poulation of 5 million +? I think this market can last a long time as long as only a handful of residential high-rises are going up at any one time. My completely unprofessional opinion, but it just makes sense. That doesn't even count the critical mass that we get closer and closer to as more buildings open.

JoLeMaMa Apr 16, 2007 1:20 AM

Is this a 3-building project?

SteveD Apr 16, 2007 3:26 AM

Yes. The first one is under construction, with two more, proposed, to be built.

dirtybird Apr 20, 2007 3:38 PM

I have a view of Viewpoint from my home and it looks like they are really picking up pace with the residential floors. I could be totally off but it seems like they're building a floor every 5 days now!

ThrashATL Apr 20, 2007 4:15 PM

Too bad this project couldn't have been reversed, two towers in back fronting P'tree and the entire block facing the street with retail. What's that little 1 story thing to the left with all that wasted land for parking?

dante2308 Apr 20, 2007 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashATL (Post 2781711)
Too bad this project couldn't have been reversed, two towers in back fronting P'tree and the entire block facing the street with retail. What's that little 1 story thing to the left with all that wasted land for parking?

Starbucks. Its already there is you want a cup of coffee with a touch of suburban land waste to wake you up in the morning.

MarketsWork Apr 20, 2007 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashATL (Post 2781711)
Too bad this project couldn't have been reversed, two towers in back fronting P'tree and the entire block facing the street with retail.

I used to think that, but changed my mind. What I like about the current tower configuration of that block (one up, two back) is that it spreads the building density to the east -- away from Peachtree. The normal pattern would concentrate the most height and density directly on the Peachtree spine, further exagerrating the linear skyline. A completed Viewpoint will add lateral density and depth. My two cents...

ThrashATL Apr 21, 2007 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dante2308 (Post 2781885)
Starbucks. Its already there is you want a cup of coffee with a touch of suburban land waste to wake you up in the morning.

I'm going to assume they were negotiated with and offered space in the new building... if not, someone at Novare should be fired.

MarketsWork Apr 21, 2007 3:42 AM

Your assumption is correct -- Novare did try to lure Starbucks out of its stand alone location and into the new building. But Starbucks had a favorable lease on its very profitable location, and refused to move out. A contract is a contract, and who can blame them?

MidtownMile Apr 21, 2007 7:30 AM

While it looks a bit odd, I actually think the carve out will work. It looks like Novare flanked the one side aroun Starbucks with shops. That may not be a bad thing, and it calls attention to the stores down 6th.

ATLssMania Apr 21, 2007 2:17 PM

Any chance Starbucks will take space in the new building AFTER it is built? This way they wouldn't have to close for long...

sabino86 Apr 21, 2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dante2308 (Post 2781885)

Wasn't that cutout's existence designed to save that Neel Reid building on 7th as well?

foxmccleod Apr 21, 2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLssMania (Post 2783811)
Any chance Starbucks will take space in the new building AFTER it is built? This way they wouldn't have to close for long...

Unlikely. Novare tried to convince Starbucks to move in, but they said they required a drive-through, which was flatly denied, and so Starbucks decided not to move. Yes, the cutout also allowed the Neel Reid building to remain.

jfsatlbldr Apr 22, 2007 10:34 PM

Photo taken 4-22-07

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4-22-07045.jpg

DoteDote Apr 22, 2007 11:19 PM

The crane will need to be jacked sometime this week or the upcoming weekend. Maybe then we'll get a good idea the impact this will have on the skyline. Will they jack the crane all the way, or only to a second-stage height?

ATLmangum Apr 23, 2007 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoteDote (Post 2786444)
The crane will need to be jacked sometime this week or the upcoming weekend. Maybe then we'll get a good idea the impact this will have on the skyline. Will they jack the crane all the way, or only to a second-stage height?

I would imagine to a secondary height. I reacall the cranes at both 12 CP and Gallery being raised a few times.

ATLksuGUY Apr 26, 2007 6:11 PM

this thread needs more photos
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9127/p1011222hh1.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7156/p1011216oj5.jpg

Viewpoint will help create almost a gateway dividing midtown and downtown

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1240/p1011190rz9.jpg

alleystreetindustry Apr 27, 2007 12:14 AM

is it just me or did they shorten the building by several floors? check out the original rendering and then the newer one.

atl2phx Apr 27, 2007 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY (Post 2796973)

ATLksuGUY - nice pics allover the atlanta threads! u get a new camera or something? :tup:

CHAPINM1 Apr 27, 2007 4:29 AM

That really is a great shot of Spire! I have grown to actually like it... :)

MidtownMile Apr 27, 2007 5:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 2798644)
That really is a great shot of Spire! I have grown to actually like it... :)

YES! More converts! :haha:

Anyway, great pics. I agree that the Viewpoint-Spire combo will make a very nice gateway into the heart of Midtown. Their relation is actually showing to be quite interesting (sort of a King-Queen effect). It should be nice when they are finished and facing one another.

ATLksuGUY Apr 27, 2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atl2phx (Post 2798637)
ATLksuGUY - nice pics allover the atlanta threads! u get a new camera or something? :tup:

Yea i bought an olympus evolt-500 with two new lenses, not the best at photography but id like to get better so i made a day of it and tried it out in ATL. Very pleased so far.

LoveAtlanta Apr 27, 2007 11:57 PM

make some pics of 12 CP downtown baby :)

whiplash3825 Apr 29, 2007 1:37 PM

I doubt it'll happen until after most of the lots are filled up on the east side of Peachtree, but I can really see those low and midrise buildings like Peachtree Lofts, the CVS and those apts. behind being torn down for towers to be built in their place. (Don't get me wrong... I like those buildings to a degree, but they won't we viable economically after land prices reach a certain point)

MidtownMile Apr 29, 2007 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiplash3825 (Post 2803083)
I doubt it'll happen until after most of the lots are filled up on the east side of Peachtree, but I can really see those low and midrise buildings like Peachtree Lofts, the CVS and those apts. behind being torn down for towers to be built in their place. (Don't get me wrong... I like those buildings to a degree, but they won't we viable economically after land prices reach a certain point)

While I agree, I think that is a ways off. I think West Peachtree will fill in first, at least before CVS and PTL go. I say that only because there is mixed use there already. So, there isn't the "non-retail" space there. That means that, if the Mile works, they can up their rental costs without any major building costs. Also, Novare did Spire and PTL if I remember correctly, so they can work to complement each other nicely.

But, having said that, I think by 2015 or 2020, one or two of those (at least) will be gone.

whiplash3825 Apr 30, 2007 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry (Post 2797959)
is it just me or did they shorten the building by several floors? check out the original rendering and then the newer one.

You're right... the latest rendering is 6 or 7 floors shorter... think I remember that change was about the time they decided to make it a three tower project.

mayhem May 1, 2007 5:25 PM

They're moving REALLY quick with the floors!

foxmccleod May 1, 2007 6:03 PM

The frames for the glazing are going in on the lower residential floors as well.

ATLssMania May 1, 2007 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxmccleod (Post 2807634)
The frames for the glazing are going in on the lower residential floors as well.

What do you mean by "frames for glazing?"

SteveD May 1, 2007 6:16 PM

:previous: When you see "glazing", think "glass". He means the frames (typically made out of aluminum or some similar construction material) into which the glass panels will be placed are being affixed to the structural concrete members on the lower floors. You can see the vertical frames for the glazing easily if you zoom in on the web cam.

ATLssMania May 1, 2007 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 2807665)
:previous: When you see "glazing", think "glass". He means the frames (typically made out of aluminum or some similar construction material) into which the glass panels will be placed are being affixed to the structural concrete members on the lower floors. You can see the vertical frames for the glazing easily if you zoom in on the web cam.

Thanks!

Robin22 May 6, 2007 11:45 PM

I am a resident of Spire who has been looking at the Viewpoint contruction. Yesterday, the height of the crane was raised significantly - it was interesting to watch for awhile.

SteveD May 6, 2007 11:48 PM

Omigosh, Robin, you're right! Wow...the top of the crane goes right off the top of the webcam view now! Welcome to the forum as a poster, Robin!

MarketsWork May 6, 2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin22 (Post 2818530)
I am a resident of Spire who has been looking at the Viewpoint contruction.

Robin22, you are in perfect position to take some look-down shots of Viewpoint under construction. If you would post a few, many of us would be grateful to you. Enjoy the view!

RobMidtowner May 8, 2007 12:49 PM

Is the crane at full height? If so this tower will only be slightly taller than Spire it appears...:(

whiplash3825 May 9, 2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMidtowner (Post 2821553)
Is the crane at full height? If so this tower will only be slightly taller than Spire it appears...:(

It is going to be only slightly taller than Spire! There's about 22 floors to go... four or five more floors and it'll be about half it's final height. Still, they'll have to jack the crane up at least one more time.