SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Alberta Small Towns (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217927)

Xelebes Jul 14, 2015 7:32 PM

Alberta Small Towns

Thought I would make a thread for this. There is a lot of small towns around the province. Perhaps not a lot happens but if we aggreggate the news. Some here have attachments to the many small towns. Towns I am attached to include Castor, Coronation, Delia, and Strome. My ancestors helped build these towns so it is interesting to me to follow their progress.

Latest news from Delia:

Delia sells out of $10 lots as small Alberta village looks to attract citizens

Quote:

The village of Delia, Alta., recently had a real estate boom.

The buying frenzy lasted just two days after the municipality decided to try to entice residents with $10 lots — ready and waiting for new homes — in order to cash in on the tax dollars that would surely follow.

"I wish they had done it when I bought my place out there," said Jeff Collins, a former CBC radio host and village councillor who still owns property in Delia.

The village was inspired to offer the serviced lots for a steal after sales faltered.
My parents went to the centennial celebrations for Delia I think last year. Saw a bit of the family re-unite there. Many of these small towns are trying to aggressively grow their communities instead of constantly watching them shrink as Alberta urbanises.

Xelebes Jan 9, 2016 11:39 PM

Lac Ste Anne residents are up in arms against a new county administrative office being built in their town. Being called "too extravagant" for the town.

Lac St. Anne residents want 'grandiose' $11M project stopped

Quote:

An $11-million battle over a new administration building in Lac St. Anne County has pitted taxpayers against their elected councillors, and has now drawn in the provincial department of municipal affairs.

At the centre of the dispute is a planned 27,000-square-foot building, which would provide office space for about 50 employees.

Many taxpayers in the county say the building is too expensive and too extravagant.

DizzyEdge Jan 12, 2016 4:30 PM

^^^
http://storage.mayerthorpefreelancer...=1430782124515
http://www.mayerthorpefreelancer.com...for-new-office

Xelebes Jan 12, 2016 5:12 PM

Hm, I can see how that might be a bit insulting. Interesting design (for what it is), but yeah.

DizzyEdge Jan 14, 2016 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelebes (Post 7296488)
Hm, I can see how that might be a bit insulting. Interesting design (for what it is), but yeah.

Yeah if it's only for 50 people it seems a bit much.
Maybe keep the portion to the left and slightly to the right of the clock tower, and then put a more rectilinear simpler addition behind it.

adam-machiavelli Jan 27, 2016 4:26 PM

I don't mind the building. It's the parking that looks excessive.

lubicon Sep 26, 2018 6:27 PM

Looks like one less small town in Alberta.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...olve-1.4839239

SpongeG Feb 15, 2019 10:00 PM

Peace River has just got a new Chevron gas station with what looks like space for a restaurant next door. It's on a site that used to be a shell station if I remember right that shut down about 5 years ago.

Also Fountain Tire opened in a new building out by the hospital, they were nearer to the downtown area before.

Also construction on the new bridge has been going on a while now, they have made a slight detour at the east end of the bridge on the highway.

lubicon Feb 19, 2019 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8476003)
Peace River has just got a new Chevron gas station with what looks like space for a restaurant next door. It's on a site that used to be a shell station if I remember right that shut down about 5 years ago.
Also Fountain Tire opened in a new building out by the hospital, they were nearer to the downtown area before.

Also construction on the new bridge has been going on a while now, they have made a slight detour at the east end of the bridge on the highway.

that's the old Shell on the west hill? I didn't realize it was closed, man it's been a long time since I have been up that way and likely will never haver a reason to be again, sadly. Good memories, and spend a lot of money washing my work truck at that Shell!

SpongeG Feb 20, 2019 4:06 AM

yes that one up by the hospital. There is still a shell downtown. Was the Nova hotel there when you were up there? they built it and just in the middle of building it the big shell project pulled out and they completed the hotel but I don't think its busy. Around that time they built 3 hotels, which is a bit too much considering how dead and hurting the town is now.

lubicon Feb 20, 2019 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8480393)
yes that one up by the hospital. There is still a shell downtown. Was the Nova hotel there when you were up there? they built it and just in the middle of building it the big shell project pulled out and they completed the hotel but I don't think its busy. Around that time they built 3 hotels, which is a bit too much considering how dead and hurting the town is now.

Nope, that was long past my time. I grew up there but have not been back since my mom retired and moved away 8 years ago now. The DT Shell was awesome - we used to prank call them all the time, to the point they knew it was us and went along with it because they were so bored too. Good times.

The town can't catch a break. We moved there in the late 70's when Shell was supposed to go ahead with the project the first time. It was cancelled then and the town waited almost 40 years for the second resurrection of it. Shell finally went ahead a couple of years ago but almost immediately pulled the pin when prices crashed again. My company (employer)had a contract for some of the drilling work which got pulled before it even started.